Denis Villeneuve's DUNE (2021)

Comments

• edited July 2021 Posts: 4,400

Even though I'd have loved to see this in December, let's be real, it was never gonna happen.

Also, the trailer wasn't exactly the most exciting piece of marketing to lead with. As many have pointed out, it was a little flaccid and drab. So, despite WB positioning it as so, I never really saw this as an Xmas entertainment in the same vein as the recent Star Wars films. Dune doesn't look like 'fun for the whole family.' So the October date (the same one that Joker played so well in) seems well placed for Dune - not only financially but also to garner some award attention.

However - for all the same reasons - The Batman was even better suited to that October date. I think I'll be more gutted if that film moves later in 2021 or (god forbid) into 2022. I want to The Batman!

tenor.gif?itemid=18219637
    I am sure i heard that THE BATMAN has been pushed to 2022?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I am sure i heard that THE BATMAN has been pushed to 2022?

Yes. March 2022.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Legendary’s Fight Against Warner Bros. Could Save ‘Dune’ from HBO Max — Report
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2020/12/legendary-fight-warner-bros-hbo-max-save-dune-streaming-1234606250/amp/
    New beautiful posters and trailer later this week! This is my second most anticipated film of the year. I'm just so hyped for a Villeneuve and Chalamet collaboration. Plus that cast is so stacked. I'm very excited for another look at this film. The last trailer was a little 'meh', but the delay has only made me more desperate for Dune content!

E6q1v_JXEAQXuPA?format=jpg&name=large[img][/img]
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    More character posters.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love all the bigger roles Dastmalchian has been getting of late. Got to chat with him once, he was a super nice guy and he's a really dedicated actor who catches my attention in everything he's in, whether it's a small or large role.

Can't wait to see this film, whenever it inevitably releases (hopefully no more delays are announced).
    Villeneuve already has my favourite film of the past almost-60 years with Blade Runner 2049. I seriously think this could not only potentially top that, but actually compete with Lawrence of Arabia for the top spot.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 40,371
    Villeneuve already has my favourite film of the past almost-60 years with Blade Runner 2049. I seriously think this could not only potentially top that, but actually compete with Lawrence of Arabia for the top spot.

Those are high marks, I'd certainly love for the film to be that fantastic and perfect.

And yes, Blade Runner 2049 was very incredible. It's the only film I've seen in IMAX and it was absolutely worth the longer trip and higher ticket price.

EDIT: New trailer inbound tomorrow:

• DenbighDenbigh UK
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks wonderful.
    If this film comes out like Blade Runner 2049 -- which I happen to like very much myself -- it won't be as popular as people in the production would like for it. BR2049 was very long, quiet and contemplative. That's fine, but it can induce a nap, whereas BR was intelligent, too, but more active, alert and, well, snappy. Dune ('21) probably cannot help but be an improvement over Dune '84 (I've not yet seen the TV shows). This film, for one thing, has a terrific cast in most roles. But so did Dune '84. T Chalamet is ideal for some roles, but...this one ? He looks as though a stiff wind would blow him over. His strongest feature is his pair of cheekbones. And -- surely the film will ride on his slim shoulders ? I'm not saying he has to look like a body-builder. I'm not saying he should not be young. That's the part. Even some trepidation and uncertainty in the beginning of his story -- though he's supposed to suppress it well, thanks to training and education -- would be appropriate. But...physically, he just seems quite uninspiring. Mouse, indeed.
    After the tepid first trailer, that was pretty close to perfect. I'm beyond impressed.

It looks as though Oscar Issac is going to be the MVP. I got serious goosebumps during that final speech. I was pretty captivated by that score and those beautiful visuals. It reminded me a lot of Rogue One (which is probably no coincidence as both films share a DP). I also hear from the IMAX previews that the film is titled 'DUNE: PART 1.' Which makes me think that perhaps a sequel has been greenlit......Maybe off the back of the HBO MAX release? We know Villeneuve was staunchly against it. Nevertheless, the new posters indicate that it's still happening. Perhaps the deal he negotiated allows a guaranteed sequel? Mere speculation for now, but time will tell.......

E65ygQAUUAI0jhc?format=jpg&name=large
    E651ZVzVUAkHRt8?format=jpg&name=large
    E655z-YUcAQuyXE?format=jpg&name=medium
    E66JB0uUcAQ7DkB?format=jpg&name=medium

If I had one gripe....it's that the desert visuals feel flat. Does anyone else agree?

E6541uzUcAI02ng?format=jpg&name=large
    E650GDTWYAAqjaa?format=jpg&name=medium
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 631
    Seriously looking forward to this.

BR 2049 is one of my favourite films of the past ten years. I don’t think it will ever become as iconic as BR 82 (that film is goddam perfect) but when I look at Hollywood’s track record with sequels I think blimey, they really did a good job with BR 2049.

Am very, very happy that Villeneuve has made Dune rather than (say) Snyder or Bay or other gung ho people like that.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Villeneuve Is my hope for Bond 26, so I wonder if they greenlighted a Dune sequel already… will he be too busy with that? Or will Dune Part 2 be a different director entirely?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    If I had one gripe....it's that the desert visuals feel flat. Does anyone else agree?

E6541uzUcAI02ng?format=jpg&name=large
    E650GDTWYAAqjaa?format=jpg&name=medium
    I do, but I wonder if there will be a certain amount of tweaking the image before it hits the big screen?

Also, it's just so great that Paul gets his amour from the same shop that Wonder Woman buys hers:
    O2WxEoT.jpg
    OrDuO2Z.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2021 Posts: 5,834
    Yeah @sandbagger1, I love every single shot in the trailer. I'm in love with the aesthetic, the cast, the score, the dialogue - everything - but that shot of Chalamet within the suit seems really off.
    Id Denis isn’t the director of the next James Bond film, things are awry indeed.
    @sandbagger1 Personally I find Chalamet wrong for the part entirely, not just in the suit -- hoping to be proved wrong but he's pretty much the smallest person in the film and he's supposed to be a rather action-oriented hero ! Is this film aimed only at pre-teens who swoon for a non-threatening, slight and pretty person ?
    The official runtime is 155 minutes.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 631
    Since62 wrote: »
    @sandbagger1 Personally I find Chalamet wrong for the part entirely, not just in the suit -- hoping to be proved wrong but he's pretty much the smallest person in the film and he's supposed to be a rather action-oriented hero ! Is this film aimed only at pre-teens who swoon for a non-threatening, slight and pretty person ?

IDK, he looks quite close to my mental picture of Paul from the books. Certainly more like Paul than Kyle Macachlan did in 1984.

It’s a difficult role to get right. You need someone who looks weak but thoughtful in the beginning who then becomes an action hero but the sort of action hero who’s also a righteous messianic saviour. Tricky thing to cast I would think
    dune-poster-new-1.png?resize=768%2C960&ssl=1
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    dune-poster-new-1.png?resize=768%2C960&ssl=1

Looking forward to this, excellent cast, bring it on! :-bd
    It sucks that Villeneuve apparently wanted to shoot these as a trilogy (or at least two back-to-back) but the studio wanted to see how the first would fare. I don't see it raking in a ton of money but I do hope I'm wrong because it looks excellent and I'm already ready to see more of this world beyond what's in the first film here.
    I think the studio was smart to employ "wait and see." If they really were smart, though, they could have sought out alternatives for an actor to portray Paul. The director already announced that the lead in the second film will be a different character. Sure, the story provides logic for it, but it also serves as a way to try to keep people interested after seeing the first.
    dune-imax-poster.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=750&dpr=1.5
    Filmed for IMAX...

... but you can watch it at home as well on your shitty TV with no extra charge day & date. XD
    matt_u wrote: »
    Filmed for IMAX...

... but you can watch it at home as well on your shitty TV with no extra charge day & date. XD

I know home video setups won't match an IMAX theater but I'm sure it'll look just fine on a 65" 4K TV at home, for the extra price of $0. I'm eager to see this but not sure I want to spend the time and money to go see it in theaters.
    Filmed for IMAX...

I know home video setups won't match an IMAX theater but I'm sure it'll look just fine on a 65" 4K TV at home, for the extra price of $0. I'm eager to see this but not sure I want to spend the time and money to go see it in theaters.

I’m 100% sure it will, but its director won’t be happy about it…
    Filmed for IMAX...

I’m 100% sure it will, but its director won’t be happy about it…

Thankfully it wasn't my decision so hopefully Denis doesn't hold it against me too much.