NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »
    David Arnold has confirmed his rendition of the Bond theme is in NTTD.

Understandable, to give the DC era some musical continuity, but also disappointing that Zimmer wont have done one.

He's just replying to the podcast trailer, which uses his CR version.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I can't imagine Zimmer not creating his own version of the Bond theme.
    The podcasts were done pre-covid. Of course they'd use something from their existing library.

I bet my hat Zimmer's done his version with Marr's guitar all over it.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Univex wrote: »
    The podcasts were done pre-covid. Of course they'd use something from their existing library.

I bet my hat Zimmer's done his version with Marr's guitar all over it.

Yeah, I think you're spot on @Univex
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I would not be surprised if EON insisted that Zimmer record Arnold’s arrangement for musical continuity.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    There will be some themes from previous film's as well, vesper's or madeline's theme.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I think we can hear the first snippets of the NTTD score at different times during the first episode of the podcast. I wish there wasn’t bloody talking over it!
  • I am almost positive that we are, indeed, hearing the first samples of Zimmer's score in this debut episode!

I'm not ashamed to say, as a longtime Bond music fan, I can quickly recognize just about every official cue ever written by ear. The episode uses a large collection of familiar score clips from throughout the series' history as backing, and even some trailer music.

BUT...

At the 7 minute mark, repeated around 29 minutes, and that epic Bond theme outro -- those are all 100% new material.

Given how liberally they used existing score throughout the rest, I don't think it makes any sense that they'd be using new music specifically produced for this podcast in those select spots. Particularly music that's as highly-produced as those bits seem to feel.

I think it's finally some Hans!

• Well the description for this first episode includes the following:

“You can also be the first to hear exclusive score from Hans Zimmer.”
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,861
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I am almost positive that we are, indeed, hearing the first samples of Zimmer's score in this debut episode!

I'm not ashamed to say, as a longtime Bond music fan, I can quickly recognize just about every official cue ever written by ear. The episode uses a large collection of familiar score clips from throughout the series' history as backing, and even some trailer music.

BUT...

At the 7 minute mark, repeated around 29 minutes, and that epic Bond theme outro -- those are all 100% new material.

Given how liberally they used existing score throughout the rest, I don't think it makes any sense that they'd be using new music specifically produced for this podcast in those select spots. Particularly music that's as highly-produced as those bits seem to feel.

I think it's finally some Hans!

Yes I presume it is (along with some Marr I guess); funnily enough it sounds quite Arnold-ish to me.

Shame they went with that slightly naff Bond theme re-recording to open it though! Where is that particular version from? It always pops up.

For a moment I thought the Bond theme on the outro was the piece from Skyfall when the helicopters turn up to catch Silva on the island, it sounds very similar to that as it has the guitar playing the vamp (the only time in the series I can think of..?). But then it adds the full guitar riff and that weird, Pink Panther-y ending.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I don’t think that’s Zimmer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    jake24 wrote: »

What do you think it is? I can't place ever hearing those pieces before.

Bear in mind that just because it doesn't sound like Zimmer it may still be from NTTD: he won't have written all of the music to the film, and the stuff with Bond theme in may well be something he'd sub out as the melody is already there.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If it is Zimmer, then I already like it better than the Arnold one from CR. I always looked forward to faithful rerecording of the original Bond theme, and the one in CR never quite got it for me. So to hear the xylophone return in that piece of music was refreshing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It does have a lot of his signatures but that means little in a world where there are so many copycats of him. It wasn't bad though, regardless! It sounds quite cool and confident. I look forward to more.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    If it is Zimmer, then I already like it better than the Arnold one from CR. I always looked forward to faithful rerecording of the original Bond theme, and the one in CR never quite got it for me. So to hear the xylophone return in that piece of music was refreshing.

I must admit I can't hear any xylophone in either of the new bits. You're not talking about the Bond theme which opens the podcast are you? That's quite an old recording.

It does have a lot of his signatures but that means little in a world where there are so many copycats of him. It wasn't bad though, regardless! It sounds quite cool and confident. I look forward to more.

Listening again to the bit at 7mins in I really am struck by how like Arnold it sounds- with the breathy flute and everything: it's definitely not something unreleased from one of his films? But it does also seem to have a bit of Spanish guitar in there which I don't recall him using.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Score up for pre order in some countries on iTunes...with a certain opening track OUT NOW
    https://music.apple.com/nz/album/no-time-to-die-original-mot ion-picture-soundtrack/1533265529

Tracklist:
    Gun Barrel
    Matera
    Message From An Old Friend
    Square Escape
    Someone Was Here
    Not What I Expected
    What Have You Done?
    Shouldn't We Get To Know Each Other First
    Cuba Chase
    Back To MI6
    Good To Have You Back
    Lovely To See You Again
    Home
    Norway Chase
    Gearing Up
    Poison Garden
    The Factory
    I'll Be Right Back
    Opening The Doors
    Final Ascent
    No Time To Die
    Lots to speculate here! But most importantly...
    Gunbarrel at the very beginning! :D
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    antovolk wrote: »

The opening few seconds sound just like Spectres opening with the music coming through the production company before it hits. I honestly thought it was Spectres until mid gunbarrel
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting: basically it's Newman's gunbarrel! :D

I must be honest and say I prefer the ones with the riff in, but it sounds big and punchy so I can't complain.
    Yes, I have to say -- quite surprised they've lifted Spectre's verbatim. A little disappointed actually. But I love the orchestration and the punch -- it's also a bit faster, I think.

Can't wait to hear more of the rest!
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 12,242
    Some speculation of my own on the tracks!
    Gun Barrel - This one's straightforward. Just the good ol' gunbarrel music, at the start where it belongs!
    Matera - Perhaps a long track? We seem to be getting some scenes of Bond and Madeleine in love. I imagine that's what this is. I do find it interesting this happens right after the gun barrel though; does this mean the Norway flashback isn't until later?
    Message From An Old Friend - I believe the "old friend" is Safin. And it won't be a nice message for Madeleine.
    Square Escape - This must be the action music for the Matera action set piece. It will end with Madeleine on the train and her and Bond breaking apart.
    Someone Was Here - Hmm... maybe this is when Primo and Safin's men break into that building?
    Not What I Expected - Bond finds Felix, and they have their meeting scene in Jamaica?
    What Have You Done? - Something to do with Safin I think. Either Madeleine questioning him or him questioning her is my guess.
    Shouldn't We Get To Know Each Other First - Hmm... is this when Bond and Nomi meet one another? That or when Bond and Paloma meet is my thinking.
    Cuba Chase - An action sequence with Bond, Paloma, and Nomi all present.
    Back To MI6 - Bond returns after all the stuff that went down in Jamaica and Cuba. He has "come back to play" after Felix and Paloma are killed by Logan.
    Good To Have You Back - Perhaps this is the scene Bond reunites with M, Moneypenny, and/or Q.
    Lovely To See You Again - I bet this is when Bond interrogates Blofeld. An intense, good scene hopefully, where Blofeld helps MI6 out as Safin is his enemy now too.
    Home - The old house of Madeleine Swann's... perhaps they are here because of some clue they received?
    Norway Chase - The epic action sequence in the greens. Really excited for this one! Ends unfortunately with Madeleine taken by Safin...
    Gearing Up - The final push begins! Bond, Nomi, and whoever else (Q?) prepare and set out to stop Safin and rescue Madeleine.
    Poison Garden - Garden of Death!!! The YOLT influence surely must be here. As we've all suspected, Safin uses biological warfare.
    The Factory - An important section of Safin's hideout. I imagine a long, action sequence around this time?
    I'll Be Right Back - Bond tells this to Madeleine. But the truth is... they likely will never see each other again!
    Opening The Doors - Bond going into a room to face Safin for the final time. He strangles the villain to death with his bare hands. The hideout will soon be blown up...
    Final Ascent - I find it interesting the word "ascent" is used here. I really don't think Bond is going to die at the end as many have speculated. He either is presumed dead or just flat out escapes - believe it!
    No Time To Die - Billie Eilish's title track, of course!
    Tracklist with running times for reach track:
    1. Gun Barrel (0:55)
    2. Matera (1:59)
    3. Message From an Old Friend (6:35)
    4. Square Escape (2:06)
    5. Someone Was Here (2:56)
    6. Not What I Expected (1:24)
    7. What Have You Done? (2:14)
    8. Shouldn’t We Get to Know Each Other First (1:21)
    9. Cuba Chase (5:40)
    10. Back to MI6 (1:30)
    11. Good to Have You Back (1:17)
    12. Lovely to See You Again (1:25)
    13. Home (3:45)
    14. Norway Chase (5:06)
    15. Gearing Up (2:53)
    16. Poison Garden (3:58)
    17. The Factory (6:42)
    18. I’ll Be Right Back (4:59)
    19. Opening the Doors (2:44)
    20. Final Ascent (7:25)
    21. No Time to Die – Billie Eilish (4:04)
    via http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/10/01/no-time-to-die-soundtrack-album-details/
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Looking at the track list and knowing the 2hr 45min runtime.... either theres going to be a lot of unscored scenes, or the soundtrack is missing a lot. My bet is on the latter.
    Looking at the track list and knowing the 2hr 45min runtime.... either theres going to be a lot of unscored scenes, or the soundtrack is missing a lot. My bet is on the latter.

Yeah the OST is just 70 mins long to fit on one CD, so a ton cut.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The rest will all be recycled from SF, so nothing to worry about.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

I like the SF score tbf... 😂😂
    I bet there will be a deluxe soundtrack released later on with a lot more short tracks.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,215
    Interesting point about the length of the score, I'm sure they won't recycle tracks from previous films, but will likely repeat cues throught the movie or use various alternate versions/suites. Really interested in Final Ascent based on it's length and placement on the soundrack. My curiousity has been sparked by what's on (and what's not on) the tracklist.

I like the SF score tbf... 😂😂
    It’s great but belongs in that film and that film only, IMO.