Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As ridiculous as it sounds I'd probably actually prefer Neeson now as an older Bond for one outing than most of the names mentioned on this thread.
    I feel modern era Neeson could easily annihilate Timothee Chalamet .
    No doubt. It would be like Connery taking on Truman-Lodge.

Neeson made some very controversial comments about a year ago. Comments that may make it difficult for him to return to franchise films. But he's too old for Bond now, but could have made an interesting choice in 1995. He'd have been more brusque than Brosnan. More akin to Daniel Craig.

But I'm still on Chalamet hype train. Though I do acknowledge that he'd need to 'transform' for the part. He's way too skinny at the moment. But hiring a trainer and working 8 hours at the gym is easy if you're being paid to do it.....

original.gif

Also, Henry Cavill is having a good weekend with Enola Holmes. Which I will be checking out. He's the right age, has the perfect look, would bring back the elegance and be a great counter-balance to the more brooding Craig. However, (1) He's fricking Superman and (2) He's a bad actor.

a6fecb2468d3781421a8d694c17140f9a8f01a90.gifv
    EimrCH_WsAA00fO?format=jpg&name=large

...Because if we can have actors playing two iconic roles, then I want the new Batman to be 007

EivO8xdWAAE3DGH?format=jpg&name=medium

There's also his Devil All The Time cast member, Bill Skarsgard who looks like a movie star waiting to happen. Great poise and build. He could have been a good Batman as well...

EiDbEkAXkAAWwyg?format=jpg&name=medium

Also, Netflix have a new horror show with Oliver Jackson-Cohen who is the right age and the right level of famous to become the next Bond. He has the look - but I've never seen this guy act. Can anyone attest to his level or lack thereof?

Eim1XQdXkAACIfM?format=jpg&name=medium
    EinUZBPXcAAbdns?format=jpg&name=large
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 8,009
    Jackson-Cohen was a hitman-type in Faster, complete with sharp suit and fancy car. I didn't like the character as it was written, but he tried his best to give it a bit of verve. That was the first thing I'd seen him in. Since then, he was quite good as the villain in The Invisible Man (for the time we see him, at least!), and he was also pretty good in The Haunting Of Hill House.

Hard to tell what his Bond would be like, though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,834
    We're certainly on the same page with Neeson @Pierce2Daniel. Smaller movies may be okay with casting him, cause most of his films these days go over peoples heads, but I'd say EON shouldn't go near him at all. While some may consider his controversy to be "tame", a lot of the audience won't, and I think the statements he made changed a lot of opinions about him going forward. Anyway, as for your other suggestions...

1) Timothee Chalamet. Like I've said before, he's better placed as a future villain. I think with his ongoing success and based on his choices as an actor, it just seems like a natural progression - in my eyes anyway. Like Rami Malek, a younger, creepier villain in the future.

2) Henry Cavill. The drawbacks are obvious. He's way overexposed. He has a successful Netflix series in The Witcher, and there's a very high chance he'll be returning as Superman. I also thinking having played Superman is a drawback in itself to be honest, whether he returns or not.

3) Bill Skarsgard. I don't even know if EON would consider him, and is another actor who falls better into the category of future potential villains/henchmen than Bond himself.

4) Oliver Jackson-Cohen. He's probably the most realistic suggestion, but while I enjoyed him in the Haunting of Hill House series and The Invisible Man, he might be too bland and I can't see him bringing anything fresh to the franchise. He might be case of playing Bond, rather than being Bond. If that makes sense.

Again, to no surprise, I still think Callum is showing more and more potential. I'm super interested to see how he looks in Fantastic Beasts 3.

3772010.jpg
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Risico007 wrote: »

Congrats to Liam for getting the role.
    Irish eyes are smiling............. :)>-

He was in a Miami Vice episode with that title!
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Callum Turner is interesting at least.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Callum Turner is interesting at least.
    Haha I'll take it @MSL49 :D
    Speaking of Neeson, I mean, this is pretty much a James Bond scene.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Risico007 wrote: »

i dont care he is in i guess 60's 70's the man needs to be bond in one film dam it!

Or bring Dalton back for one.

Neeson is brilliant in this brilliant film.

He’d have made an interesting Bond for sure.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247

Exactly! Not surprised, as Steven Spielberg was once interested in directing a Bond film, but wasn't allowed to. Neeson would have made a first class Bond....I mean, look at that prominent nose and statue-like face.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "I'm comming for you."

Now there's 4 words no one would ever want to hear from Liam Neeson.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    Still my favourite thing Liam Neeson has done:

All this talk about an older Bond, plus all the new Craig pictures, plus the fact that the man has been on the role for 14 years, which makes nostalgia already possible, makes me really, really want another film from Daniel Craig. Can you imagine? 6 films for the 6th Bond, who got to star in Bond26. The numerology at list lines up, lol

Lets face it, no one is better suited for the next one as this one:

VQsIBm8.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    Of course I love Craig and think he's a great Bond, but I think it's time. The franchise needs to freshen things up, and also I'd hate for EON to go two steps back by going for Craig again, especially seeing as they've marketed the movie as his last, and seeing where I think this film will end - it'd be odd narratively.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Of course I love Craig and think he's a great Bond, but I think it's time. The franchise needs to freshen things up, and also I'd hate for EON to go two steps back by going for Craig again, especially seeing as they've marketed the movie as his last, and seeing where I think this film will end - it'd be odd narratively.

I know it won't happen. I really, really know it. But I really, really want it anyway :D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    But I really, really want it anyway :D
    Haha I feel you.
    Haha I feel you.

I want an amnesiac brain washed Craig coming in to Mi6 and trying to murder M, just to be put to test in his most daring assignment ever. A YOLT+TMWTGG mash up with an older Bond.

But the closest we'll get to that will be with NTTD, whatever it brings us, I guess.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Haha I feel you.
    A YOLT+TMWTGG mash up with an older Bond.
    We kinda got that within reason - obviously not as straight an adaptation as you'd like, but I think I remember Purvis and Wade saying that both those novels were their main inspiration for Skyfall.
    I'd love a 6th outing from Craig as well if there were 2 years in between.

The current interminable gap has made me ponder perhaps Craig should have left after SF.

We could have skipped the SP and NTTD story arc altogether, and be on Turner or Cavill's 3rd outing by now.
    All this talk about an older Bond, plus all the new Craig pictures, plus the fact that the man has been on the role for 14 years, which makes nostalgia already possible, makes me really, really want another film from Daniel Craig. Can you imagine? 6 films for the 6th Bond, who got to star in Bond26. The numerology at list lines up, lol

VQsIBm8.jpg

I think Eon (especially the besotted Barbara) will try or keep trying to get him back for one more.

Why wouldn’t they....no brainer.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    We don't need another Sir Roger and AVTAK situation. Time to move on.
    MSL49 wrote: »
    We don't need another Sir Roger and AVTAK situation. Time to move on.

Totally different. Craig is much better shape.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I think if EON had very good writers every now and then, Craig would stick around. Because, he himself knows he can do a 6th Bond film. But it's the fear of having a bad script that he's wary of. What we should hope for is, starting with NTTD, the writing should be more stellar and consistent for the incoming Bond....and Beyond.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think if EON had very good writers every now and then, Craig would stick around. Because, he himself knows he can do a 6th Bond film. But it's the fear of having a bad script that he's wary of. What we should hope for is, starting with NTTD, the writing should be more stellar and consistent for the incoming Bond....and Beyond.

Exactly. Plus another pay rise and a bit of a rest bite no doubt.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Craig's done. Let's just accept it and move on.
    Craig's done. Let's just accept it and move on.

Maybe and most likely.

But Roger was also done in the past....3 times, but he came back when the cheque book came out with increasingly generous amounts.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,834
    But I think narratively this will be the most closed-ended we've had compared to the past.
    But I think narratively this will be the most closed-ended we've had compared to the past.

Fair point, if the rumours are to believed.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Craig is my favourite Bond, but I want a new face in the role. We need a new era. EoN could take advantage of this uncertain time to really think where Bond is headed. They need a really strong script to launch Bond number (00)7. I'd love something lighter in tone, with more levity.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 395
    Craig is my favourite Bond, but I want a new face in the role. We need a new era. EoN could take advantage of this uncertain time to really think where Bond is headed. They need a really strong script to launch Bond number (00)7. I'd love something lighter in tone, with more levity.

+1.