How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2020 Posts: 23,105
    613xRVXsMzL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    Just bought another Smart speaker, so I have 6 smart speakers now scattered around my home. It was a Limited Time deal £80 cheaper than usual, great sound I have put it in my gym room with two other smart speakers.

Do you have the ability to connect all these speakers, or do they belong to separate ecosystems?

Seperate and the same eco system, so if I say play Goldfinger soundtrack Everywhere the score will play simultaneously through every speaker in every room. If I say play Goldfinger soundtrack in Lounge the score will only play on Lounge speakers and so on. Or I can ask individual speakers to play different music from each other.

You can pair speakers also if the speakers are the same.

Interesting! That's what I would aim for too, if I were to get a multiroom setup – most likely with speakers within the same ecosystem. I've had the opportunity to listen to the Sonos One lately, so I could see myself getting a pair of those in the future.

The Echo Plus is the best smart speaker I have bought so far, I did buy a Echo Studio at sale price though when I received it the box was empty. By the time I had returned it and got my money back it was no longer at sale price. The Echo Studio has Dolby Atmos many reviews say it rivals the Sonos. I will definitely get one when the price drops again.

techdetails_es-_cb452481835_-jpg.43342

Empty? And that was a brand new one?

I really like the size of these speakers. The Echo, the Sonos One, Beoplay etc all look to perform way beyond their sizes. And for someone with limited space to spare, these are really interesting. It's just a shame I've already filled that space with other kinds of speakers, turntables and amps! :))

I also like the look of the speakers made by the Danish loudspeaker brand Vifa.

20141215_vifa21698_72-dpi.jpg

vifa_oslo_pebble_grey_49202_72dpi.jpg
    vifa_home_copenhagen02_mountain_blue_7.jpg

As a fan of minimalistic design, these are just…

a7031e8ce4a66c2aaafd87aca298290a.gif

Speakers that dissappear into the decor are good, two of my smart speakers have screens so you can see what albums are playing or you can ask to see your albums to flick through them.

Yeah I had the Echo Studio sent to a Amazon Locker as was working, I was furious when the box was empty. Surely the driver must have known or just did not care lol

Indeed. You want speakers to blend in with the interior, or stand out. I don't like it when a speaker pair is just "there", or in the way. Having the ability to see what albums you're playing is a nice feature. Does those screens just show you want track/album is being played, or do you see the album artwork as well?

Was the package open or something? Or was it a packaging error from Amazon?

My place is cluttered despite my best efforts to be minimalistic lol I collect way too much memorabilia or have done over the years.

Its was in a key coded locked locker, the box was open and empty so it must have gone missing in the factory or transit. The code we use to open locker is one time use only. I was more irritated as it was a birthday gift to self also.

Same here! I'm working towards downsizing everything I own, but it's a gradual process. I hope to do another big clear out sometime this autumn.

That's strange, and very annoying of course! I've had few issues with purchasing from Amazon. One item came a bit later than expected, and another one was damaged in transport, which led Amazon to cancel the order, have it returned to wherever they shipped it from and refunding me before it came to my address. Other than that, every order have been delivered on time and undamaged. I hope you won't have another package delivered empty!

I have had items go missing from Amazon in the post a few times though to be fair they have always refunded me, I deleted my eBay account as I had numerus bad buying experiences I just had enough.

When I on leave I may box a load of things up and put in storage and try to reclaim my home lol

That's strange. At least it's good that Amazon have refunded you for those purchases! I'm generally cautious about what I buy online, and that has kept me from using Ebay. I might still give Ebay at try at some point, but I'll rather look elsewhere for the more expensive items.

I've never tried putting things in storage before. How does it work? Is it some sort of storage facility you pay monthly deposits to?

Sorry my storage involves putting things in large plastic boxes and stacking them in a room I don't use.

My bad! I often put things in plastic and/or cardboard boxes too, but it really just move the storage issues from one room to the other, haha! I plan to order 15-20 white cardboard media boxes from Ikea sometime next week (maybe a few plastic ones too). They look a bit nicer than the regular plastic/cardboard boxes I use, so even if they take up the same amount of space, it will look a bit more planned and organised.

I have a few plastic boxes in my lounge and hidden not particularly well lol

That's the issue I'm having with them too – they're difficult to hide!

This is partly why I like how new speakers and music gear in general can be so tiny in size, yet have so much "punch" and clarity. Take portable speakers for example; the ones that came out, say 10-15 years ago, that were of similar size to speakers of the same size that are available now; it's like two different worlds. Not to mention the functionality you have with speakers nowadays.

Having a smart home and Smart speakers is so convenient, often when training I don't have to mess about with changing CD's or going to my PC. In the middle of a set I can just say play which ever album or playlist I have, adjust volume by voice etc.

I also have camera's installed so even if hundreds of miles away I can view my camera's on my mobile phone, switch my lights on or off or randomly play music in any room as a deterrent.

Admittedly I do like my gadgets and watch many Tech channels on YouTube lol that's why I am broke :))

Modern Tech is great as long as it is not deskilling, also its great as Assistive Technology.

It's interesting to see how "smart" speakers and other types of tech has become. The fact that you can easily play any playlist, album, song or whatever by voice command is incredible when you think about it. But it doesn't come cheap of course!

I don't have any smart speakers (yet), but really it's just about bad timing: I bought a Marshall Stanmore bluetooth speaker some years ago, as I needed a speaker that I could easily connect with my iPhone, iPad and Macbook. But had I waited a year or so (if I remember correctly), I would have been able to buy the second generation of Stanmore speakers, that has the Google Assistant built-in. I can't justify getting another speaker now, and I can't see myself selling a speaker I'm completely happy with, so smart speakers will have to wait for now.

How large are those cameras? Personally, I think I would have been uncomfortable having cameras installed in my home!

The camera's are to view outside and I have them set to only activate when I am out, the cameras are small and also link to Alexa so I can view my camera's on my 3 Echo Show's , my 2 Fire TV's or my mobile or any tablet with Alexa App installed. The Camera's have good amount of free cloud storage for recordings I get immediate text alerts on my phone if any motion is detected. Motion sensors and night vision are a great feature, you can adjust motion sensitivity also and use a grid of the area monitored to create blind spots, i.e. there may be a flashing light in the distance you can block out to prevent motion sensors continuingly going off.

Amazon offer monthly payments on Echo Tech and I always wait for price reductions on Black Fridays or Summer Sales etc. All the speakers I bought were half price and less than half price in some cases.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 17,241
    613xRVXsMzL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    Just bought another Smart speaker, so I have 6 smart speakers now scattered around my home. It was a Limited Time deal £80 cheaper than usual, great sound I have put it in my gym room with two other smart speakers.

Do you have the ability to connect all these speakers, or do they belong to separate ecosystems?

Seperate and the same eco system, so if I say play Goldfinger soundtrack Everywhere the score will play simultaneously through every speaker in every room. If I say play Goldfinger soundtrack in Lounge the score will only play on Lounge speakers and so on. Or I can ask individual speakers to play different music from each other.

You can pair speakers also if the speakers are the same.

Interesting! That's what I would aim for too, if I were to get a multiroom setup – most likely with speakers within the same ecosystem. I've had the opportunity to listen to the Sonos One lately, so I could see myself getting a pair of those in the future.

The Echo Plus is the best smart speaker I have bought so far, I did buy a Echo Studio at sale price though when I received it the box was empty. By the time I had returned it and got my money back it was no longer at sale price. The Echo Studio has Dolby Atmos many reviews say it rivals the Sonos. I will definitely get one when the price drops again.

techdetails_es-_cb452481835_-jpg.43342

Empty? And that was a brand new one?

I really like the size of these speakers. The Echo, the Sonos One, Beoplay etc all look to perform way beyond their sizes. And for someone with limited space to spare, these are really interesting. It's just a shame I've already filled that space with other kinds of speakers, turntables and amps! :))

I also like the look of the speakers made by the Danish loudspeaker brand Vifa.

20141215_vifa21698_72-dpi.jpg

vifa_oslo_pebble_grey_49202_72dpi.jpg
    vifa_home_copenhagen02_mountain_blue_7.jpg

As a fan of minimalistic design, these are just…

a7031e8ce4a66c2aaafd87aca298290a.gif

Speakers that dissappear into the decor are good, two of my smart speakers have screens so you can see what albums are playing or you can ask to see your albums to flick through them.

Yeah I had the Echo Studio sent to a Amazon Locker as was working, I was furious when the box was empty. Surely the driver must have known or just did not care lol

Indeed. You want speakers to blend in with the interior, or stand out. I don't like it when a speaker pair is just "there", or in the way. Having the ability to see what albums you're playing is a nice feature. Does those screens just show you want track/album is being played, or do you see the album artwork as well?

Was the package open or something? Or was it a packaging error from Amazon?

My place is cluttered despite my best efforts to be minimalistic lol I collect way too much memorabilia or have done over the years.

Its was in a key coded locked locker, the box was open and empty so it must have gone missing in the factory or transit. The code we use to open locker is one time use only. I was more irritated as it was a birthday gift to self also.

Same here! I'm working towards downsizing everything I own, but it's a gradual process. I hope to do another big clear out sometime this autumn.

That's strange, and very annoying of course! I've had few issues with purchasing from Amazon. One item came a bit later than expected, and another one was damaged in transport, which led Amazon to cancel the order, have it returned to wherever they shipped it from and refunding me before it came to my address. Other than that, every order have been delivered on time and undamaged. I hope you won't have another package delivered empty!

I have had items go missing from Amazon in the post a few times though to be fair they have always refunded me, I deleted my eBay account as I had numerus bad buying experiences I just had enough.

When I on leave I may box a load of things up and put in storage and try to reclaim my home lol

That's strange. At least it's good that Amazon have refunded you for those purchases! I'm generally cautious about what I buy online, and that has kept me from using Ebay. I might still give Ebay at try at some point, but I'll rather look elsewhere for the more expensive items.

I've never tried putting things in storage before. How does it work? Is it some sort of storage facility you pay monthly deposits to?

Sorry my storage involves putting things in large plastic boxes and stacking them in a room I don't use.

My bad! I often put things in plastic and/or cardboard boxes too, but it really just move the storage issues from one room to the other, haha! I plan to order 15-20 white cardboard media boxes from Ikea sometime next week (maybe a few plastic ones too). They look a bit nicer than the regular plastic/cardboard boxes I use, so even if they take up the same amount of space, it will look a bit more planned and organised.

I have a few plastic boxes in my lounge and hidden not particularly well lol

That's the issue I'm having with them too – they're difficult to hide!

This is partly why I like how new speakers and music gear in general can be so tiny in size, yet have so much "punch" and clarity. Take portable speakers for example; the ones that came out, say 10-15 years ago, that were of similar size to speakers of the same size that are available now; it's like two different worlds. Not to mention the functionality you have with speakers nowadays.

Having a smart home and Smart speakers is so convenient, often when training I don't have to mess about with changing CD's or going to my PC. In the middle of a set I can just say play which ever album or playlist I have, adjust volume by voice etc.

I also have camera's installed so even if hundreds of miles away I can view my camera's on my mobile phone, switch my lights on or off or randomly play music in any room as a deterrent.

Admittedly I do like my gadgets and watch many Tech channels on YouTube lol that's why I am broke :))

Modern Tech is great as long as it is not deskilling, also its great as Assistive Technology.

It's interesting to see how "smart" speakers and other types of tech has become. The fact that you can easily play any playlist, album, song or whatever by voice command is incredible when you think about it. But it doesn't come cheap of course!

I don't have any smart speakers (yet), but really it's just about bad timing: I bought a Marshall Stanmore bluetooth speaker some years ago, as I needed a speaker that I could easily connect with my iPhone, iPad and Macbook. But had I waited a year or so (if I remember correctly), I would have been able to buy the second generation of Stanmore speakers, that has the Google Assistant built-in. I can't justify getting another speaker now, and I can't see myself selling a speaker I'm completely happy with, so smart speakers will have to wait for now.

How large are those cameras? Personally, I think I would have been uncomfortable having cameras installed in my home!

The camera's are to view outside and I have them set to only activate when I am out, the cameras are small and also link to Alexa so I can view my camera's on my 3 Echo Show's , my 2 Fire TV's or my mobile or any tablet with Alexa App installed. The Camera's have good amount of free cloud storage for recordings I get immediate text alerts on my phone if any motion is detected. Motion sensors and night vision are a great feature, you can adjust motion sensitivity also and use a grid of the area monitored to create blind spots, i.e. there may be a flashing light in the distance you can block out to prevent motion sensors continuingly going off.

Amazon offer monthly payments on Echo Tech and I always wait for price reductions on Black Fridays or Summer Sales etc. All the speakers I bought were half price and less than half price in some cases.

Ah, I thought you had cameras to detect motion inside the home. Having them outside makes more sense of course! They look very functional the way you describe them; have you had much use for them?

Keeping an eye on deals and price reductions is always worth it when it comes to tech. Like you write, many devices, speakers etc. can be a lot cheaper for a limited time period. Black Friday is probably when you see most special deals, and when I'm in the market for anything tech related, I try to wait until that time of the year – just to see if there are any price reductions.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,105
    I have been thinking about getting a Stream Deck for some time though the price put me off, though found this for £38.99 which is considerably cheaper and has the functionality I need. Still learning how it works though relevant to the topic I have started programming keys to control my media player on my PC. Its a handy gadget to have for one button media player opening, volume, mute control etc. It can do a lot more though only scratched the surface so far.
    61IwE6HPP2L._AC_SY355_.jpg

611cS83rRIL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I have a lot of RGB LED lights already attached to my PC so to have something else that's flashing to any custom setup you want is a welcome extra feature for me, it does look pretty cool lol
    Must admit I've never even hard about stream decks before, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! Do you do streaming as well, or did you buy it just for the control features?
    Must admit I've never even hard about stream decks before, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! Do you do streaming as well, or did you buy it just for the control features?

I have never streamed though I like the idea of hot keys for what ever you want to use them for, I will set a layer of keys for web short cuts, one key will be programmed to go to this site homepage and a key for FPL My Team page course lol

I have had a app version for ages though as its connected through WiFi I have had issues with my Firewall and Security System on my PC so wanted something to plug in.

Just added Next and Previous Track buttons, so handy not always having to use the mouse.

I have never streamed though I like the idea of hot keys for what ever you want to use them for, I will set a layer of keys for web short cuts, one key will be programmed to go to this site homepage and a key for FPL My Team page course lol

I have had a app version for ages though as its connected through WiFi I have had issues with my Firewall and Security System on my PC so wanted something to plug in.

It does look very handy, and being able to have hot keys for that specific purposes is interesting. I might have been in the market for something like that myself, had I been a desktop user.

How did the app work?

It does look very handy, and being able to have hot keys for that specific purposes is interesting. I might have been in the market for something like that myself, had I been a desktop user.

How did the app work?

Some devices you can program hotkeys for gaming and art programs. For example quick short cut to brush types etc though that maybe time consuming.

I am going to have to spend a few hours tomorrow reading about the software for the one I bought to fully see what its capable of doing.

But as a music player its great for that alone, it kind of reminds me of the old days off having a tape recorder (using the buttons) lol

I have a swivel arm chair one direction it faces my TV etc, then it swivels to my computer desk so I literally have the control right next to me.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,241

How did the app work?

Some devices you can program hotkeys for gaming and art programs. For example quick short cut to brush types etc though that maybe time consuming.

I am going to have to spend a few hours tomorrow reading about the software for the one I bought to fully see what its capable of doing.

But as a music player its great for that alone, it kind of reminds me of the old days off having a tape recorder (using the buttons) lol

I have a swivel arm chair one direction it faces my TV etc, then it swivels to my computer desk so I literally have the control right next to me.

Interesting. I use Photoshop quite a bit for work purposes (as well as Manga Studio occasionally), so there might be some use for an app like that when it comes to easily switching between tools in the software - though there are shortcuts in the software anyway. It's something to think about though.

You have to keep us updated on how the stream deck is like in use. My Macbook keyboard has some play/mute features which covers whatever I need for shortcuts, but it's not perfect (though I suspect those issues can be resolved playing around with settings).

Wish I had a setup as handy as that, haha! I currently don't have a desk, but should probably get one at some point. Haven't found one I'm happy with yet though.

How did the app work?

Interesting. I use Photoshop quite a bit for work purposes (as well as Manga Studio occasionally), so there might be some use for an app like that when it comes to easily switching between tools in the software - though there are shortcuts in the software anyway. It's something to think about though.

You have to keep us updated on how the stream deck is like in use. My Macbook keyboard has some play/mute features which covers whatever I need for shortcuts, but it's not perfect (though I suspect those issues can be resolved playing around with settings).

Wish I had a setup as handy as that, haha! I currently don't have a desk, but should probably get one at some point. Haven't found one I'm happy with yet though.

Mine is not a Stream Deck though similar in fact it may turn out to do exactly what a stream deck does not sure yet. If you look online for Programmable Macro Keypad that's a better description. Day off tomorrow so will have a good look at the software, already found a few videos to watch.

The app I have that I no longer use is called Touch Portal the fundamentals are the same except your phone or tablet becomes the Keypad for your PC macros, I just don't like allowing things through my Firewall lol
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I listen to my MP3 collection in my car via Bluetooth from my phone. I also have a Sony lossless player and some Bowers & Wilkins headphones. All my music is ripped at 320KBPS. I like to have everything local and not stream anything from the Internet. I have about 1400 albums on an SD card. This is backed up in three separate locations. I also like my album art nice and crisp. It's all generally 1000x1000 resolution. I've created art for things I can't get a hold of/or don't like. It's also very eclectic. I've got everything from Bauhaus to Tchaikovsky. Also, I know I'm obsessive about it. Lol.
    I listen to my MP3 collection in my car via Bluetooth from my phone. I also have a Sony lossless player and some Bowers & Wilkins headphones. All my music is ripped at 320KBPS. I like to have everything local and not stream anything from the Internet. I have about 1400 albums on an SD card. This is backed up in three separate locations. I also like my album art nice and crisp. It's all generally 1000x1000 resolution. I've created art for things I can't get a hold of/or don't like. It's also very eclectic. I've got everything from Bauhaus to Tchaikovsky. Also, I know I'm obsessive about it. Lol.

Not obsessive at all sounds like you just want the set up as good as possible. I do the same regarding art resolution and make my own art if needed like yourself and replace art that is not up to my standard lol

I have multiple back ups of all my downloaded music, though I still stream as well due to having smart speakers.

Not obsessive at all sounds like you just want the set up as good as possible. I do the same regarding art resolution and make my own art if needed like yourself and replace art that is not up to my standard lol

I have multiple back ups of all my downloaded music, though I still stream as well due to having smart speakers.

Cheers. Albumartexchange is a great place for finding really good quality album covers. I want to learn how to use PaintShop in order to make professional looking covers for the odd thing. I've got Vampire's Kiss by Colin Towns and I love the soundtrack. Crappy cover though.

How did the app work?

Mine is not a Stream Deck though similar in fact it may turn out to do exactly what a stream deck does not sure yet. If you look online for Programmable Macro Keypad that's a better description. Day off tomorrow so will have a good look at the software, already found a few videos to watch.

The app I have that I no longer use is called Touch Portal the fundamentals are the same except your phone or tablet becomes the Keypad for your PC macros, I just don't like allowing things through my Firewall lol

Thanks, I'll have a look online for more information. As I was working on some stuff this afternoon, I kept thinking if there was something I could use a keypad like this for, but beyond some very basic commands, there wasn't much. Even so, it's something to keep in mind should there be a need for more shortcut opportunities sometime in the future.

Interesting! I have a tablet I don't use that much, so an app might be just as good.

Being obsessive about the way we take care of our collections is part of the fun though, isn't it, @DrClatterhand?

I have a decent sized MP3 collection too, but far from everything is 320KBPS, so I haven't dedicated much effort to multiple backups and adding album artwork. I hope to do something about that though.

What is the model name of that Sony lossless player of yours?
    My Sony lossless player is the NW-A45. It's simply drag and drop. It's also an FM radio when connected to corded headphones. I use MP3Tag for putting covers on my music. I wish I could gift people my collection, as I've spent so much time getting it so organised and aesthetically pleasing. Hope you're keeping well in these awful times.

Cheers. Albumartexchange is a great place for finding really good quality album covers. I want to learn how to use PaintShop in order to make professional looking covers for the odd thing. I've got Vampire's Kiss by Colin Towns and I love the soundtrack. Crappy cover though.

Cheers I will check out that site for sure, I use GIMP 2.8 (its free as its open source) for graphic design and use it for altering CD art amongst other things. There are many tutorials on YouTube to get beginners started.

How did the app work?

Thanks, I'll have a look online for more information. As I was working on some stuff this afternoon, I kept thinking if there was something I could use a keypad like this for, but beyond some very basic commands, there wasn't much. Even so, it's something to keep in mind should there be a need for more shortcut opportunities sometime in the future.

Interesting! I have a tablet I don't use that much, so an app might be just as good.

I watched numerous videos on YouTube yesterday stumbled on this one re: Digital Art, some of it maybe helpful, or give you a general idea of how it works.

I am not impressed with the software that came with my Macro Pad so likely to try the HID Macro software in the above video.

Edited: Well I downloaded HID Macro software and got a security warning also it appears the software is no longer supported. Though I have found a site listing many alternatives, I will update later which I think is best.
    Wow!! Thank you for the great advice. Much appreciated. I really feel like I'm part of a community on here. People have their squabbles, but it's generally warm and friendly.
    Wow!! Thank you for the great advice. Much appreciated. I really feel like I'm part of a community on here. People have their squabbles, but it's generally warm and friendly.

There are some good people on here, over the years I have been here I have learnt a lot from other members.
    My Sony lossless player is the NW-A45. It's simply drag and drop. It's also an FM radio when connected to corded headphones. I use MP3Tag for putting covers on my music. I wish I could gift people my collection, as I've spent so much time getting it so organised and aesthetically pleasing. Hope you're keeping well in these awful times.

Thanks! I have an iPod I use whenever I don't use my iPhone/Macbook etc. for music listening, but at some point it could be an idea to get a lossless music player in order to get a better listening experience – especially when traveling.

Hope you are keeping well in these times too!

How did the app work?

I watched numerous videos on YouTube yesterday stumbled on this one re: Digital Art, some of it maybe helpful, or give you a general idea of how it works.

I am not impressed with the software that came with my Macro Pad so likely to try the HID Macro software in the above video.

Edited: Well I downloaded HID Macro software and got a security warning also it appears the software is no longer supported. Though I have found a site listing many alternatives, I will update later which I think is best.

Thanks for the link! This was what I expected these decks could do for digital art. I can definitely see the upside of having one; the size of the decks and that you can have one placed right next to you as in the video above is probably just as big an upside IMO, as the functionality itself. With my current setup, having an additional deck might be one gadget too many. My Wacom tablet is getting a bit old and slow though, so if I decide I need a new one – and need some additional shortcut functionalities on top of that – then a deck might be the way to go.

Thanks! I have an iPod I use whenever I don't use my iPhone/Macbook etc. for music listening, but at some point it could be an idea to get a lossless music player in order to get a better listening experience – especially when traveling.

How did the app work?

Thanks for the link! This was what I expected these decks could do for digital art. I can definitely see the upside of having one; the size of the decks and that you can have one placed right next to you as in the video above is probably just as big an upside IMO, as the functionality itself. With my current setup, having an additional deck might be one gadget too many. My Wacom tablet is getting a bit old and slow though, so if I decide I need a new one – and need some additional shortcut functionalities on top of that – then a deck might be the way to go.

I have managed to set up 27 macro keys so far with the software I got with it, though for some reason I can't get the second layer to work and frustratingly the Tutorial Video won't play on my PC despite trying numerous multi file format players, so I am stumbling my way through figuring out how it works lol

When I have had time to look at better software I will set up the pad for art programs myself, I use a few key commands on my larger wireless keyboard though will be far more efficient using the macro pad.

---

Echo have just released there next gen smart speaker range, I am sure the tech has improved though not sure about the aesthetics...

1600972842_amazon-echo-2020.jpg

How did the app work?

I have managed to set up 27 macro keys so far with the software I got with it, though for some reason I can't get the second layer to work and frustratingly the Tutorial Video won't play on my PC despite trying numerous multi file format players, so I am stumbling my way through figuring out how it works lol

When I have had time to look at better software I will set up the pad for art programs myself, I use a few key commands on my larger wireless keyboard though will be far more efficient using the macro pad.

---

Echo have just released there next gen smart speaker range, I am sure the tech has improved though not sure about the aesthetics...

1600972842_amazon-echo-2020.jpg

At least with all these issues, you're really getting to know the deck and software(s)! This is usually the case whenever I try a new software or gadget and I don't get it to work properly; all the trial and error usually makes it easier to use when it's finally up and running.

The third gen ones looked so much better than this! Maybe they wanted to differentiate themselves from the designs of say, Sonos?
    True regarding trial and error, I tend to research stuff to minute detail lol
    ---
    lcimg_7aaa5d0c_127e_4d21_aa9d_7ecce3cf8d33.jpg
    Amazon are definately targeting family's, with more buying tech because of pandemic makes sense from a marketing point of view.
    This new Echo Show tracks movement...

:-O
    Interesting! Targeting families is no doubt a clever move. Most speakers I've seen (both smart ones and regular ones) are targeted towards teens/young adults and adults.

It would be interesting to read Amazon's thought behind the change in the shape of the Echo speakers.
    ______

Oooh, that's impressive! For a kitchen setup, auto-framing is certainly a nice touch. It's so easy to get smudges on the screen if you use an iPad or similar in the kitchen…
    Interesting! Targeting families is no doubt a clever move. Most speakers I've seen (both smart ones and regular ones) are targeted towards teens/young adults and adults.

It would be interesting to read Amazon's thought behind the change in the shape of the Echo speakers.
    ______

Oooh, that's impressive! For a kitchen setup, auto-framing is certainly a nice touch. It's so easy to get smudges on the screen if you use an iPad or similar in the kitchen…

I have used and researched a lot of Assistive Technology over the years with regards to enablement, the screen tracking will be great for the elderly for example.

From a personal point of view the new speakers appear to occupy more space and I prefer the narrower 3rd gen Echo dot/plus etc, and literally all my tech is black lol

I have 3 echo shows with screen/camera's though rarely use them for video calls. they are handy as view screens for my security camera's. Sometimes I may watch a Bond film on one of them in my kitchen whilst cooking.

Finally got the other layer to work for my Macro Pad, one layer needed a key assigned which acts like a shift key. The :LED lights are great, when I toggle from one layer to another I can assign for example all Blue LED lights for Media control layer.

I think I will stick with the original software I am getting the hang of it, I just need to learn String Parsing lol

I have been looking at GIMP hotkeys to set up on it which I will start doing tomorrow, it will be handy for toggling through layers, quick change of colour etc for starters when working on a project.

______

I have used and researched a lot of Assistive Technology over the years with regards to enablement, the screen tracking will be great for the elderly for example.

From a personal point of view the new speakers appear to occupy more space and I prefer the narrower 3rd gen Echo dot/plus etc, and literally all my tech is black lol

I have 3 echo shows with screen/camera's though rarely use them for video calls. they are handy as view screens for my security camera's. Sometimes I may watch a Bond film on one of them in my kitchen whilst cooking.

Yes, I imagine for those that really can benefit from this technology, the Echo Show can be a great buy.

I prefer a design that takes up as little space as possible too, and I prefer speakers that don't stand out that much, in shape colour or design. My Marshall bluetooth speaker is the only exception, though I bought a white one which blends better with the colour of the living room wall.

Do you find that you use all three Echo Shows just as much?

Finally got the other layer to work for my Macro Pad, one layer needed a key assigned which acts like a shift key. The :LED lights are great, when I toggle from one layer to another I can assign for example all Blue LED lights for Media control layer.

I think I will stick with the original software I am getting the hang of it, I just need to learn String Parsing lol

I imagine much like many shortcuts, a shift key like functionality is needed (or cmd for those of us that use Mac/Macbook). It keeps it very similar to an ordinary keyboard though!

The backlighting is the only real negative I found with these decks. I prefer a very neutral backlighting – especially if sitting in front of a computer/Macbook in a dimly lit room – which I often do in the evenings. Can you turn the LED lights off?

I have been looking at GIMP hotkeys to set up on it which I will start doing tomorrow, it will be handy for toggling through layers, quick change of colour etc for starters when working on a project.

No doubt! I use quite a few shortcuts when working in Photoshop etc., but I'm sometimes a bit lazy about learning new ones.

______

Yes, I imagine for those that really can benefit from this technology, the Echo Show can be a great buy.

I prefer a design that takes up as little space as possible too, and I prefer speakers that don't stand out that much, in shape colour or design. My Marshall bluetooth speaker is the only exception, though I bought a white one which blends better with the colour of the living room wall.

I imagine much like many shortcuts, a shift key like functionality is needed (or cmd for those of us that use Mac/Macbook). It keeps it very similar to an ordinary keyboard though!

The backlighting is the only real negative I found with these decks. I prefer a very neutral backlighting – especially if sitting in front of a computer/Macbook in a dimly lit room – which I often do in the evenings. Can you turn the LED lights off?

No doubt! I use quite a few shortcuts when working in Photoshop etc., but I'm sometimes a bit lazy about learning new ones.

Thankfully the following layers you can assign a single key to toggle back and forth.

You can increase or dim the LED's or turn them off completely, or just select different preferences for each. i am a Star Trek fan so my primary layer is flashing like the original serious control panels lol Lights can be static or in pulse or wave form and other options also.

______

Thankfully the following layers you can assign a single key to toggle back and forth.

You can increase or dim the LED's or turn them off completely, or just select different preferences for each. i am a Star Trek fan so my primary layer is flashing like the original serious control panels lol Lights can be static or in pulse or wave form and other options also.

That makes it easier!

Nice. Having customisable preferences for each light looks like a great feature. Don't think I could handle pulse or wave lighting though!

______

That makes it easier!

Nice. Having customisable preferences for each light looks like a great feature. Don't think I could handle pulse or wave lighting though!

You can change the rate of speed of LED, I have it on slow setting so the colour change is subtle and when looking away you don't notice it so its not a distraction.

______

That makes it easier!

You can change the rate of speed of LED, I have it on slow setting so the colour change is subtle and when looking away you don't notice it so its not a distraction.

How rapid are the light changes? I got a TV with backlighting where the light changes depending on the colours on the images on screen. It's fine when looking straight at it (which I normally do), but if you find yourself looking at an angle and the images change rapidly on the TV screen, it can be a bit distracting.

______

That makes it easier!

How rapid are the light changes? I got a TV with backlighting where the light changes depending on the colours on the images on screen. It's fine when looking straight at it (which I normally do), but if you find yourself looking at an angle and the images change rapidly on the TV screen, it can be a bit distracting.

The light is very subtle when it changes on wave settings on the Macro Pad which I have for the first layer, second layer static Blue, third static green, fourth static red.

I have LED lights on the back of my TV and two on the back of my monitors though I tend to keep them all one colour, usually blue, my main light which is voice activated is blue also when I watch a movie.

______

That makes it easier!

The light is very subtle when it changes on wave settings on the Macro Pad which I have for the first layer, second layer static Blue, third static green, fourth static red.

I have LED lights on the back of my TV and two on the back of my monitors though I tend to keep them all one colour, usually blue, my main light which is voice activated is blue also when I watch a movie.

Anything else but subtle light changes would be an instant turnoff for me, but subtle enough changes can be nice.

Unlike yours, I don't think my TV has an option for a single colour backlighting – at least I haven't found a setting for it. But as I mentioned above, it's really just an issue if looking at an angle anyway.
    _______

Doing a bit of online browsing tonight, I had a look at the speakers you can get at Ikea. If I was in the market for a bluetooth speaker right now, I'd probably get the Symfonisk bookshelf speaker they've made in collaboration with Sonos. It looks really nice and minimalistic:

ikea-symfonisk-nw-fi.jpg