Sean Connery as James Bond, 1962-1985

2»

Comments

• edited May 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Hmmm... well it's a bit hard to even tell it's him, cause it's so small (up close it looks good!) This is kinda fun!

Sean Connery in The Spy Who Loved Me:
    http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232fp:<6>nu=3246>9<3>:8:>WSNRCG=348832<337325nu0mrj
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited May 2011 Posts: 3,262
    Quoting Master_Dahark: Hmmm... well it's a bit hard to even tell it's him, cause it's so small (up
    close it looks good!) This is kinda fun!

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C6%3Enu%3D3246%3E9%3C3%3E%3A8%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D348832%3C337325nu0mrj

Now that's what I call service! ;-)

Good job, M_D. I think Connery would've been a good matchup for Agent Triple X.
    Just for fun- since I have a pic of him actually from 1983- here's Sean Connery in Octopussy!

Sean Connery in Octopussy:
    http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232fp:;8>nu=3246>9<3>:8:>WSNRCG=348833<7;4325nu0mrj

Not as good, I've gotten lazy, lol
    Quoting Master_Dahark:
    Just for fun- since I have a pic of him actually from 1983-
    here's Sean Connery in Octopussy!

Sean Connery in Octopussy:
    http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B8%3Enu%3D3246%3E9%3C3%3E%3A8%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D348833%3C7%3B4325nu0mrj

Not as good, I've gotten lazy, lol
    That one's good also. At your convenience, could you make ones of Timothy Dalton in OHMSS, George Lazenby in TLD and Daniel Craig in LTK for me also, please?

Thanks.
    lol YES SIR
    Don't expect 'em too soon.... ;-)

Actually now that I think about it, someone on this very forum had a GREAT George in TLD poster. It was back when the forum was 'keeping the british end up'. Wonder if there's any way to get it again?
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan: Timothy Dalton in OHMSS

Here's a quick Dalton in OHMSS (didn't put too much effort into it...)- though I don't really think this would have worked- I mean the man himself said he was too young. That said, I tried to find a decent 'young' picture of Dalton, but they were pretty slim...

Timothy Dalton in OHMSS:
    http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232fp::8>nu=3246>9<3>:8:>WSNRCG=348854;653325nu0mrj

Back on topic, THIS would have been much better (not my work though....)
    Sean Connery in OHMSS:
    http://www.hmss.com/films/ohmss67/ohmss67.jpg
    Quoting Master_Dahark: Here's a quick Dalton in OHMSS (didn't put too much effort into it...)- though I
    don't really think this would have worked- I mean the man himself said he was
    too young. That said, I tried to find a decent 'young' picture of Dalton, but
    they were pretty slim...

Timothy Dalton in OHMSS:
    http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3A%3A8%3Enu%3D3246%3E9%3C3%3E%3A8%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D348854%3B653325nu0mrj

Not bad at all. Thanks, M_D :) I like how you were able to use an OHMSS poster that included the UA Transamerica logo and the M rating they had in 1969.
    I think there is a real danger of overthinking this. I don't think this a tough question. Connery is by far the best James Bond. He defined the screen character. All of the Moore films would have been improved greatly had Connery continued in the role. Not so much OHMSS, as George did a pretty decent job. Sean would have been better mind you, because he's Sean, but Lazenby was no slouch either. In fact the Moore films would all have been much better with either Connery or Lazenby continuing in the role.
    Connery would have been simply awesome in both LALD and TMWTGG under the able direction of GF and DAF Director Guy Hamilton.
    Sean would have brought far more gravitas to the role and replaced the silliness that plagued both TSWLM and MR and I'm not talking about the fantasy elements of either film. I'm talking about Moore's lame Laurel and Hardy shenanigans at the pyramids ( the absolute lowest point of the series IMO) not to mention Moore's other slapstick encounters with Jaws. Rog could not bring the menace. Sean brought the danger in spades though, yet tempered by his wry humour. Sean delivered the one-liners and double entendres much better than Moore ever did.
    We got the complete Bond package with Sean. Danger and style. He would have carried this right through to the era's final action scene on the Golden Gate bridge. But its all moot. Sean wanted no part of Bond after DAF.
    The greater tragedy I think though is that Eon didn't swallow its pride and bring back George for the entire 7 picture Moore run. Lazenby could have been convinced to return.
    Moore ideally never should have been cast, mainly because he moves like an ox.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,894
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan: Timothy Dalton in OHMSS

Here's a quick Dalton in OHMSS (didn't put too much effort into it...)- though I don't really think this would have worked- I mean the man himself said he was too young. That said, I tried to find a decent 'young' picture of Dalton, but they were pretty slim...

Timothy Dalton in OHMSS:
    http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232fp::8>nu=3246>9<3>:8:>WSNRCG=348854;653325nu0mrj

I must admit that i'm gratefull that Tim the role down for such a reason, if that didn't show you his dedication (turning it down not for the money, or the role being beneath him, but for his age and not believing someone that young would be convincing in the role), I don't know what will. The problem was, that he left the part far too early.

Now if you don't mind, i'm gonna go and sit in the corner and contemplate how the series should have gone through the 1990's with Dalton. :-W
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Wow @timmer how wrong you are. A Bond franchise without Roger Moore is unthinkable. Roger Moore IS the best James Bond - and a timeline with him absent is a very sad though indeed... Damn right he should have been cast as Bond !! His 7 movie tenure is pure greatness. Connery is great, I agree... but Moore is better !! Long live Sir Rog !! Without Moore, the Bond franchise would be very stale indeed. Moore revigorated the franchise in 1973 - without him, Dalton/Brosnan/Craig would never have been cast, as the series would be over before their respected tenures.
    For the fun of it-- Sean COnnery in TMWTGG:

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232fp:;:>nu=3246>9<3>:8:>WSNRCG=349596983:325nu0mrj

Sean Connery in AVTAK

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232fp:<2>nu=3246>9<3>:8:>WSNRCG=3495973557325nu0mrj
    Nice work, MD!
    A Bond franchise without Roger Moore is unthinkable.
    Agreed, although he stayed for one film too many.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350

Some would argue more than one, though I think six is your lot as Connery proved.

Some would argue more than one, though I think six is your lot as Connery proved.
    A good argument could be made that MR should have been his finale with Dalton taking over for FYEO. However, I wouldn't want to lose Moore in OP, the film that would've made a perfect finale for his 007 and his style of Bond film.
    Just to clarify where I'm coming from, I LOVE Roger Moore- this is just a fun 'what if' scenario I wanted to toy with- I agree that if Sean stayed the entire time the Bond films likely would not have lasted
    Hope this is Relevant.
    Just saw Sir Sean Connery in two WW2 Films:
    LONGEST DAY
    BRIDGE TOO FAR
    I think you have to say SIR SEAN maybe the BEST all round ACTOR of the 6.....So Far.
    Don't MISUNDERSTAND ME, These 6 Men are all FINE, FINE ACTORS.....
    But Sir Sean seems to have THAT SLIGHT EDGE....
    Like Mr. Cary Grant who almost was the First BOND, JAMES BOND.
    Connery has it. What ever THAT is.
    That is why EVERY ACTOR in Hollywood or Pinewood wants to be in any FILM with him.
    B-)
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Wow @timmer how wrong you are. A Bond franchise without Roger Moore is unthinkable.
    :) Au contraire. I dream of the day when CGI is advanced to the point where Sean's uber life-like digital rendering can be deftly inserted into all non-Sean films except OHMSS ( I'm ok with that one as is) replacing the original actor.The 4 deficient Bonds will be just a faint memory.
    It will be called the "Ultimate Connery Complete Series, super blu-ray digital Bond Deluxe Pak" and all future new home video releases will come in both the theatrical version with the actual actor, and the Connery digitally enhanced Ultimate edition.
    Got to love technology. It's coming, any year now.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 820
    Well I wish Sean Connery also did On Her Mystery Secret Service instead of George Lazenby through to Diamonds are Forever. Then leave & make way for Roger Moore do his 5 or 7 Bond movies. Also He can still do Never Say Never Again. Sean Connery believe to be the No.1 & most Favorite Bond today. That last bit I wrote you can doult or say anything against it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sean Connery as the only Bond for 20 years seems like something that could have been pulled off. It's not a stretch to imagine that if Connery himself had been all for it, the series might have taken exactly that course. In the end, I doubt people would have grown tired of Connery but would they have remained on fire for the man as age stripped him from his boyish charms? I'm not sure.

In that sense I'm glad we have the likes of Lazenby and Moore to inject the films with a new spirit after a few films. When doing a marathon, I always have double feelings concerning OHMSS and LALD. On the one hand I'm slightly troubled by the prospect of not seeing Connery for a while, yet on the other hand those other guys bring a new dynamic to the Bonds and they portray a somewhat different Bond. Boredom is out of the question that way.

I too can have such a love for a Bond actor like Connery or Moore, that I don't believe I would ever mind seeing them in a myriad films. In fact, in 2002, I was all for Brosnan doing a fifth film. I accepted him in the role and behaved like a loyal (and most apologetic) fan. Now, however, I couldn't be more satisfied with the coming of Craig. Suddenly the series reached a freshness I refuse to believe could have been established with Brosnan. In the same way I doubt that Connery would have worked all that well in TSWLM or MR, two film I hold close to my boyish heart. Those films would have been different with Connery part of them, perhaps for the better of them, perhaps for the worse. But Moore's presence I must admit is one of the prime reasons I love watching these films. And that is not to say that after AVTAK I always grasp for air knowing that the next time, Dalton fills the shoes. I'm glad, for even though I love Moore as Bond, even in the much criticised AVTAK, the vitality that Dalton brought to TLD feels like emptying a can of Red Bull after a lazy afternoon nap.

We shall forever keep wondering about Bond's ways had this or that actor remained in the part or gotten the part or whatever. It shall forever spark our imagination, our fantasy even and I like that. Yes, I love wondering about Bond and where Bond might have gone in hypothetical cases. That said, I'm rather pleased with the way things have been going for real. Seeing those six faces on many a fan's poster art always fills me with joy. It's a nice bunch and they all brought something to the series. Perhaps in the future, digital technology will allow a young Connery to be Bond once more. Go ask Fincher how he did it in such films a Benjamin Button and The Social Network and you never know we could have Sean Connery starring as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in Bond 26. But would I want that? Let's just say I'm quite pleased with Connery's legacy. His blood still runs through Bond's veins and he shan't ever be forgotten. But a new face, body and energy every so often helps revitalise the series over and over again.

• edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Very well summarised Darth Dimi. In all honesty, I don't think Connery from 62-85 would have worked. I know I'm just repeating what others have said on here but the series has lasted BECAUSE of its ability to adapt to the times. Inevitably things become stale after a while. Sure Connery was well loved by the public (and still is) but I doubt that people would still feel the same love for him in 1985 that they had in 1962.

Sure we can talk about who our favourites and least favourites of the actors are until the cows come home but the fact remains that they ALL contributed to the series in some way.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Not only things would become stale by 1985, after 23 years and 14 films of Sean Connery... but it would render impossible anyone succeeding to Connery as Bond. Audiences were already not very happy with Lazenby replacing Connery, after only 5 films and 7 years, but in 1985 they would have none of it. Connery would be so very well linked to the role, that it would be unthinkable to replace him.

IMO, I imagine EON has in their vaults some kind of 'limit' in time of an actor's tenure as Bond. A Bond lasting too long hurts the franchise, as would a succession of actors only doing 1 film. I dare say ever since Moore was cast, EON has got it in the head that a tenure should not last over 5/6 films, and/or 10 years.
  • Although everyone has a favorite I agree with DarthDimi that it's great that every actor brought something to the series. That being said, if I could've had my way, it would have been like this:

DN - Connery
    FRWL - Connery
    GF - Connery
    TB - Connery
    YOLT - Connery
    OHMSS - Connery
    DAF - Moore
    LALD - Moore
    TMWTGG - Moore
    TSWLM - Moore
    MR - Moore
    FYEO - Dalton
    OP - Dalton
    AVTAK - Dalton
    TLD - Dalton
    LTK - Dalton
    GE - Brosnan
    TND - Brosnan
    TWINE - Brosnan
    DAD - Brosnan
    CR - Craig
    QOS - Craig
    23 - Craig
    24 - Craig

I'm definitely a Connery + Brosnan fan, but I think Sean was starting to look old already in DAF. And like someone pointed out, DAF was the first sign (pre Moore) that the series were taking a slightly more comedic approach, which would've fit Roger pretty well. That plus the fact that Roger is almost three years older than Sean, it would've been nice to see him start and stop a bit earlier IMO. That way we would've seen Sean in OHMSS (!) and skipped Lazenby (nothing against him, pretty decent but could've done without him).

A lot of folks would've liked to have seen Dalton do Goldeneye. While Dalton is one of my faves, I think Pierce fitted Goldeneye pretty well too. Dalton could've started a bit earlier though, taking over from Roger on FYEO (which would've suited Dalton pretty well). Still too bad Tim never got his third... history to me points out that the actor is very good in the Bond part around then.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would have pushed Dalton through the 90s and recruited Craig for DAD. I have stated before that I don't dislike Brosnan but compared to Dalton and Craig... *whistle*
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Quoting jaguar007: I think Moore looked younger than Connery in the 70s, but by 1983 in NSNA,
    Connery looked much more fit than Moore did in OP.

I suppose "fittness" is in the eye of the beholder, but to me, Connery looks like a much older Bond in NSNA than Moore did in OP....
    I love you Sean, but agreed. I hope I can still come to your Birthday party. ^:)^
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,778
    I think there is a real danger of overthinking this. I don't think this a tough question. Connery is by far the best James Bond. He defined the screen character. All of the Moore films would have been improved greatly had Connery continued in the role. Not so much OHMSS, as George did a pretty decent job. Sean would have been better mind you, because he's Sean, but Lazenby was no slouch either. In fact the Moore films would all have been much better with either Connery or Lazenby continuing in the role.
    Connery would have been simply awesome in both LALD and TMWTGG under the able direction of GF and DAF Director Guy Hamilton.
    Sean would have brought far more gravitas to the role and replaced the silliness that plagued both TSWLM and MR and I'm not talking about the fantasy elements of either film. I'm talking about Moore's lame Laurel and Hardy shenanigans at the pyramids ( the absolute lowest point of the series IMO) not to mention Moore's other slapstick encounters with Jaws. Rog could not bring the menace. Sean brought the danger in spades though, yet tempered by his wry humour. Sean delivered the one-liners and double entendres much better than Moore ever did.
    We got the complete Bond package with Sean. Danger and style. He would have carried this right through to the era's final action scene on the Golden Gate bridge. But its all moot. Sean wanted no part of Bond after DAF.
    The greater tragedy I think though is that Eon didn't swallow its pride and bring back George for the entire 7 picture Moore run. Lazenby could have been convinced to return.
    Moore ideally never should have been cast, mainly because he moves like an ox.
    First of all how do you know that EON wouldn't have continued the campy approach from DAF if Connery had stayed for more films? It seems to me that no matter what actor played the role EON was set in that direction. They tried a serious approach with OHMSS and at the time it was considered a misfire and disappointment when compared to the previous films. Than they went in the opposite direction and made DAF far more comical and it paid off as it grossed much more than OHMSS. Had Connery stayed the films would not have gone back to the gritty roots of DN and FRWL but stayed exactly the same as that was the safe route in their minds.

Secondly, Connery, despite only being 41 at the time, was aging terribly and looked pretty bad in DAF. If he'd gone to play to role he only would've looked worse and worse. Moore's youthful appearance, despite being 2 years older than Connery, was essential in reinvigorating the series. Plus LALD with Moore was critcally more well-recieved than DAF and made substantially more money. Honestly I think LALD was better than Connery's last 2 outings which were huge disappointments in my opinion. And what makes you think Connery's bored attitude and habit of sleep-walking through wouldn't have continued and gotten worse over the years? It would've been terrible.
    Well, with Connery looking the way he did in NSNA, I really don't think he could make it to 1985! Even in DAF, he didn't look like he could go on. Maybe he could have done one more, but that's pushing it. It was just time for a change by 1971!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 136
    Sorry for the big bump, but I made a video utilizing if this had actually happened. Enjoy!
  • Nice avatar @MaxRebo, and yes I watched all that, from back at a time when the gun barrel was in it's rightful place, and AT THE VERY START OF THE DAMN MOVIE :-L

It's something that I don't like what they've done to the series in recent years that's all

Just to add, Connery was essentially done as Bond by the time of 1967, and even then he said so himself he had had enough of playing the part, only to be lured back by a then astronomical sum to return for an ill advised sixth time four years later

Connery was at his absolute best between 1962-63, and it's a shame Goldfinger was such a poor release, when he was still very fit and able, although did redeem himself with a fine performance in Thunderball, but really then, should of stepped down from the part of Bond but sadly decided to carry on and it ended in a bit of a shambles for one of the best James Bonds ever in the very end. Can't really add NSNA in this, as it was merely a spoof entry and not even an official release but Connery DID overstay his welcome in the end
  • wintandkiddfaroutwintandkiddfarout Australia
    @Master_Dahark

Interesting comparison. In this thread you speak of how the Moore films may have been different with Connery.
    However in the opposote thread it sounds like you are saying you can see the Connerys and OHMSS as more or less playing out exactly the way they are. Only with Roger Moore in them.