Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Tenet is expected to gross $7 million in North America and $23 million internationally this weekend, to cross the $200 million milestone by Sunday.

That's pretty good considering the pandemic and mixed reviews.
    VOD release next or disk release ?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tenet is expected to gross $7 million in North America and $23 million internationally this weekend, to cross the $200 million milestone by Sunday.

Tenet still needs to earn another $200 million to avoid losing money.

That doesn't look like that's going to happen at the cinemas does it ?

Maybe if Nolan made a better movie it would have done much better at the BO ?

A vod release after the cinema run to earn more $$$ quickly?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

No, without corona it would've done much better.

The BO doesn't say anything about quality. At all. (looking at you Twilight and etc.)
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,341
    JamesCraig wrote: »

No, without corona it would've done much better.

The BO doesn't say anything about quality. At all. (looking at you Twilight and etc.)

They chose to release it now and everyone knew what would happen at the BO especially the distributors of the film.

Don't you think the distributors knew that the BO would be much lower because of the pandemic ?

To recoup their money they have to rely on a vod release after the cinema run to boost their earnings.
    At least that is my opinion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Tenet is going towards a second domestic weekend of $6.75 million to $7 million.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Also from Variety.
    Variety_magazine_logo.svg-1024x283.png?format=300w&content-type=image%2Fpng
    ‘Tenet’s’ Opening Weekend Was… Fine.
    Now What?
    By Rebecca Rubin | September 12, 2020
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-opening-weekend-box-office-wonder-woman-1234762206/

Also from Variety.
    Now What?
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-opening-weekend-box-office-wonder-woman-1234762206/

Very misleading numbers. Tenet opened to $12 million domestic. The $20 million figure takes into account 9 additional days at the Canadian box office. No matter the mental gymnastics to justify the domestic numbers, Tenet is a financial disaster in the US. Major box office trades were expecting Tenet to gross between $150 million to $300 million domestically, it is now looking increasingly unlikely it will even reach $100 million.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Also from Variety.
    Now What?

Very misleading numbers. Tenet opened to $12 million domestic. The $20 million figure takes into account 9 additional days at the Canadian box office. No matter the mental gymnastics to justify the domestic numbers, Tenet is a financial disaster in the US. Major box office trades were expecting Tenet to gross between $150 million to $300 million domestically, it is now looking increasingly unlikely it will even reach $100 million.

It will probably end up at zero.
  • jamesbond0007jamesbond0007 mississippi
    The Pirate Bay already has over 20 torrents for it already with one prime copy that is going around out there.
    Also from Variety.
    Now What?

It will probably end up at zero.

It might make back it's budget this weekend at best.
    Gotta also blame those libtard big city democratic mayors as well for not allowing openings of theaters...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Gotta also blame those libtard big city democratic mayors as well for not allowing openings of theaters...

No.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles

...You’re a Bond fan?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Saw it a third time last night at my wife's suggestion, her second viewing.

Very good experience recognizing more of the internal logic to it, and as always a very satisfying conclusion for me.

I also appreciate its part in cinema history playing out, as theaters reestablish themselves.

Lastly, finally saw the No Time To Die second trailer on the big screen, very thrilling. New poster on display in the lobby. Thrilling times.

tenor.gif?itemid=17341225

Is that a joke?
    Very bad news for Tenet and theaters as a whole in the USA: Even with 70% of theaters opened, the total box office of this weekend failed to reach $15 million. This means that cinema chains are in real danger of closing again as the box office is too low to cover exhibitors' operating expenses. Cinemas will thus be forced to operate at a loss until we at least get new big releases, which sadly are now more than a month away, since Wonder Woman 1984 recently got delayed.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/tenet-6-7-million-total-box-office-is-under-15-million-theaters-hurt-1234586104/

Tenet itself grossed $6.7 million this weekend (down from an $11 million opening), meaning it has finally managed to reach the low-end of its opening weekend projections (which took 2 weekends + an extra 9 days at the Canadian box office to achieve).
  • Saw it for a second time last night, big improvement, although the storyline is still difficult to follow at times.

Great action set pieces, great soundtrack. Typical Nolanesque.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Basically Tenet needs another $300 million to break even.
    matt_u wrote: »

I think Tenet will max out at a little over $300 million world-wide. Depending on how you look at it, it is either impressive given the pandemic or a complete disaster when compared to its production budget.

I wrote on this thread a few months ago that I believed Tenet would struggle to cross $400 million. Looks like even $300 million is almost an impossible mission.

I think Tenet will max out at a little over $300 million world-wide. Depending on how you look at it, it is either impressive given the pandemic or a complete disaster when compared to its production budget.

I wrote on this thread a few months ago that I believed Tenet would struggle to cross $400 million. Looks like even $300 million is almost an impossible mission.

Don't worry. Nolan has an algorithm to solve that ;)
    jobo wrote: »

Don't worry. Nolan has an algorithm to solve that ;)

1-h-Lg4huwqq-O9-B5c-Hrgg-g.png
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Three massive problems plagued Tenet.

1. LA, SF, and NYC theaters still not open yet.
    2. Horrendous job of marketing the film. The NBA playoffs and U.S. Open were big TV draws leading up to Labor Day weekend. I didn't see a single Tenet ad. In fact, I didn't see one anywhere until this past week.
    3. Related to #2, they chose the wrong weekend. With the NFL's opening weekend, this would have been a better time to ramp up marketing: they should have targeted a 9/18 release.

Of course, the fact that the film was "good" but not "great" didn't help.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Good points @TripAces
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I did read an article on their marketing strategy, which basically said they're not going all in on opening week/end, but are spreading it out and playing the long game.

In another article, they said they wanted a guaranteed eight week cinematic run.

At this rate, they will have money leftover in the marketing budget, if they don't have a serious rethink.

I've not seen a single ad on TV for the film. Only in the entertainment section in the newspapers.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I did read an article on their marketing strategy, which basically said they're not going all in on opening week/end, but are spreading it out and playing the long game.

The main problem here is that Tenet's long game is actually so long that theater chains are operating at a loss because the USA box office is basically non existent. Tenet may defeats its own purpose and indirectly force cinemas to close down again. The next big release is in 5 weeks, how are they planning on staying open while losing money every single day until then?
    The Gerard Butler disaster film Greenland, due to release next Friday in the USA, has been delayed indefinitely.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/gerard-butler-greenland-movie-july-opening-date-1202956851/
  • tenor.gif?itemid=16057756

I re-watched Inception yesterday evening - and I have to say it really holds up. In fact, I think it may well be Nolan's masterpiece.

The elegance and execution of Inception really shines a light on quite how jumbled Tenet is. With Inception, you have a brilliantly elegant piece of storytelling that is really in love with the mechanics and rules of the world it creates. Nolan's plots are so dense and intricate, but somehow work seamlessly. In fact, the more you watch the film, the more the puzzle reveals itself to you.

I particularly enjoyed how the earlier dreams reverberate and echo within the deeper levels. It's a neat trick and, eventually, makes the finale feel like a real high-wire act. Even having seen it numerous times, it's still so rousing.

Plus, Inception is gifted with a terrific conceit that plays excellently into it's science-fiction concept (I've read some convincing opinions that the time-travel stuff in Tenet is actually the weakest part of the film and it would have been better without it). Here, you have a heist film where the con-men have to break into people's dream to steal an idea by delving into someone's subconscious. I mean, that's a genius idea.

What makes Inception work though is Leonardo DiCaprio. Supposedly, DiCaprio was hard on Nolan and made him rethink the character of Cobb. He didn't just want to be an action-hero. Cobb is seriously damaged, he's basically a junkie who's in love with the dream world and is actively growing more divorced from his reality. He knows trapping Mal is destroying him physically and mentally, but he continues to do so. In fact, he continues to do so at the detriment of his entire team. He almost seems intent on sabotaging the mission. Leo is perfectly cast as a melancholic leading man. In fact, Inception is intriguingly morose and at numerous times has imagery evoking suicide.

In many respects, Inception is a therapy session for the unstable Cobb. Also, it has a really terrific turn from Cillian Murphy, who is equally sympathetic.

Add together the brilliant action, the great cinematography, the charismatic Tom Hardy and that delicious score......I don't Nolan has been better than here.

It's a shame that Tenet is quite as shallow as it is. Especially, in comparison to Inception.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tenet would definitely not have been a better film without the time inversion plot. It is part of what makes the film so damn brilliant.