Denis Villeneuve's DUNE (2021)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first trailer for Dune will debut with Inception's 10th anniversary re-release next month.

Exciting news.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Can't wait.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First trailer for Dune confirmed to arrive online on September 9th ; will be exclusively in theaters with Tenet before that date.
    First trailer for Dune confirmed to arrive online on September 9th ; will be exclusively in theaters with Tenet before that date.

Is that everywhere, I wonder? I am seeing Tenet this upcoming weekend. Would be awesome to get a glimpse of it then.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686

Is that everywhere, I wonder? I am seeing Tenet this upcoming weekend. Would be awesome to get a glimpse of it then.

According to Trailer-Track, "there are reports of the footage not playing until August 31, which is when the first screenings of Tenet in the United States begin."

I was planning on watching Tenet again, so I will make sure to not do that before August 31st.

According to Trailer-Track, "there are reports of the footage not playing until August 31, which is when the first screenings of Tenet in the United States begin."

I was planning on watching Tenet again, so I will make sure to not do that before August 31st.

Aha. Damn, I aim to see it on Sunday, which is the 30th.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    EghAQj5U4AEBbV2.jpg:large
    EghCbukU8AAeYs9?format=jpg&name=large
    EghC3AzUwAIe1fu?format=jpg&name=large
    dune-exclusive-1.jpg?quality=50&width=1000&ratio=1-1&resizeStyle=aspectfit&format=jpg
    dune-exclusive-2.jpg?quality=50&width=1000&ratio=1-1&resizeStyle=aspectfit&format=jpg
    dune-exclusive-3.jpg?quality=50&width=1000&ratio=1-1&resizeStyle=aspectfit&format=jpg
  • Yes, I'm really looking forward to this one. I saw Blade Runner 2049 three times in Imax and thought it a stunningly beautiful film. I would definitely leave the house to see this.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I so badly want to see this.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Trailer tease:

Looks insanely good visually. And what a cast!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Visually stunning, as expected. Also seems like a narrative mess, which is also as expected. I really can't see this not having the same problems the previous versions had - they'll just be wrapped up in better FX and a very attractive cast.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m not that impressed. 2049 was miles more astonishing, visually. Momoa will be the MVP. Also, why doing that to Pink Floyd?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    matt_u wrote: »
    I’m not that impressed. 2049 was miles more astonishing, visually. Momoa will be the MVP. Also, why doing that to Pink Floyd?

I think they were including a cute nod to the fact that Pink Floyd were approached to score Lynch's version.
    I will be there. Looks terrific.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The visuals are fantastic and I'm sure the performances will be great but I can't say I'm as floored as I had hoped to be by the trailer. Maybe that'll be corrected by later trailers or the finished product as a whole. I have faith in Villeneuve.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The visuals are fantastic and I'm sure the performances will be great but I can't say I'm as floored as I had hoped to be by the trailer. Maybe that'll be corrected by later trailers or the finished product as a whole. I have faith in Villeneuve.

We've been ruined by NTTD 2nd trailer. Really. It was the only trailer this year that made me cheer for the film. But, as you say, I have faith in Villeneuve. Although that thing they did to Pink Floyd was borderline criminal, @matt_u is spot on.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Trailer does look stunning as people have mentioned, not sure about the lead actor. As a fan of Lynch's version I found Lynch's set visuals more interesting though its early days with the new film. Great cast though.
    Just for the record the new arrangement of Eclipse is by Zimmer himself.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    The Hunger Games + Rogue One = Dune

Am I right?

I like the mood of this trailer a lot. It's dark, brooding and epic. You get the sense that this is a blockbuster in the best sense. Also, an intimate coming of age story. It looks good. However, I don't really feel anything hugely positive or negative from that trailer. I was pretty much in regardless, so this movie has to do a lot not to win me over. However, the trailer was nothing I wasn't expecting....so I'm not giddy or disappointed. It's fine.

But, it must be said - damn - that cast! Seeing them all together really brings home how exciting this is. Especially, my boy Chalamet!

I don't disagree. What Dune seems to be missing is Roger Deakins. It doesn't have that 2049 magic.

However, I kinda dig Greig Fraser's more muted and overcast palette...There are some seriously beautiful shots to gawp at. However, I'd equally concede that some shots underwhelm - in particular the desert footage. Which kinda stings, because, well, it's called Dune. But I'll reserve judgement till the final film. Below are some money shots that really stick out...

dune-trailer-65.jpg
    dune-trailer-60.jpg
    dune-trailer-26.jpg
    dune-trailer-16.jpg
    dune-trailer-39.jpg
    dune-trailer-12.jpg
    dune-trailer-82.jpg
    This man is inhumanly talented. If Denis doesn’t get to direct a Bond film It would be a startling missed opportunity.
    This man is inhumanly talented. If Denis doesn’t get to direct a Bond film It would be a startling missed opportunity.

I agree!

I wasn’t that impressed with the trailer, mainly because I expected it to be more visionary (and I don’t like the costumes that much) but the man is a great filmmaker.
    Looks impressive, but will no doubt be delayed like many other movies.
    The release date has now been shifted to October 1st, 2021:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/dune-drifting-away-from-december-to-october-2021-1234591593/
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,343
    WW84 will move as well to 2021. Batman is scheduled to October and it will be delayed too...
    WW84 will move as well to 2021. Batman is scheduled to October and it will be delayed too...

Indeed, perhaps we'll get The Batman releasing closer to Christmas, then.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Indeed, perhaps we'll get The Batman releasing closer to Christmas, then.

Yes my same thoughts.