Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The idea to outright dismiss IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, etc. seems odd to me in any case.

That wouldn't be a smart idea for sure, and thankfully it's not one that anybody has advocated yet. However, these sites are one source of many that one uses when balancing these receptions. The word on the street serves as a legitimately interesting contrast and certainly could be used as a reference to back up certain low box-office figures (if one were to think they were low in our current scenario). I've certainly no reason not to trust the word of people I know when they outline things they didn't like about the film just because it's not reflected in the Rotten Tomatoes score. All it means is that they don't participate in voting on such sites.

But yes, hindsight always reveals more....so here's to 2021! :)

• It was great to be back at the cinema for Tenet! Max 50 person occupancy in a large IMAX theatre looked jarring at first, but very safe and sound. No NTTD trailer strangely, but there was a teaser for the launch of the Dune trailer!?

Going in with lowered expectations due to the mixed reviews, Tenet was a blast to watch but not without reservations. The sound was thankfully clear and crisp, although it's clear Nolan's intention is to throw the viewer into the live action, video game-style, with all the accompanying confusion. The stars of the show are the concept of inversion and big loud action sequences rather than the plot or any of the actors. Kudos to Nolan's team for using minimal VFX - you can feel the actors being put through the grinder in the stunts, especially Washington and Pattinson! Speaking of the cast, it's already been said that Debicky's and Branagh's roles are essentially copy-pasted from prior films and it is a bit distracting at times.

The plot is also a laundry bag of "where have I seen this before?" To me Tenet looked less influenced by classic Bond, and more so by various elements of the last five Nolan films, M:I, The Night Manager, Back to the Future, and the likes of recent Avengers/Justice League/Fast & Furious films with similar "find the Teseract stones or humanity will perish" antics. And of course, again there's the highly original Russian villainy with its oligarchs, vodka, and nasty military-industrial legacy. Thanks to my people's reputation in the news and Hollywood, I'm beginning to question myself... am I inherently evil?

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    If I knew of other measures of opinion I'd post them.

Letterboxd
    3.7 / 5 (81,373 - watched / 25, 185 - liked)
  • And of course, again there's the highly original Russian villainy with its oligarchs, vodka, and nasty military-industrial legacy. Thanks to my people's reputation in the news and Hollywood, I'm beginning to question myself... am I inherently evil?

Movie villains usually have a well-educated English accent. That’s because we educated English really are inherently evil :))
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    One thing I was thinking recently is that the influence of those early Bond films can be felt in the finale. Essentially, we have one of the classic siege sequences where the battalion make their salvo against the enemy.

This was something really prevalent in the Lewis Gilbert films. In fact, Nolan has explicitly said that TSWLM was a major influence in Tenet. Something that is apparent.

The imagery in that finale is breathtaking. It's interesting that the imagery actually harkens to more modern imagery from war. It could almost be set in Syria. But, naturally, the footage is 'Nolan-ified' and seeing people move forward whilst explosions move in reverse is pretty damn impressive. Plus that explosion and un-explosion of that building before the final confrontation is outstanding.

Tenet-Closed-City.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370
    ccb1524b7d5b0a97755ecaaad4d069bd.jpg
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Box Office: like Tenet, industry survives on the oxygen of hope
    https://screenhub.com.au/news-article/news/film/david-tiley/box-office-like-tenet-industry-survives-on-the-oxygen-of-hope-261037

The great tentpole hope Tenet made $1.609m at the box office this weekend, down from $2.5m last weekend, officially down 35% so it has now taken $6.527m altogether. This is a bit surprising because social distancing means that cinemas must be full at around half capacity, so we would expect the demand to dissolve away more slowly.

Tenet also not doing as well as expected in Australia.
  • I went to an early afternoon screening on Sunday . There were probably ten ,maybe twelve people in there. I personally really enjoyed it but I enjoyed being back in a cinema even more and I felt safer in there than I do in say a busy bar . Given the choice I’d rather spend my evening in a cinema now
    Every time Kenneth Branaghs character was on screen he was referred to as a oligarch. Was Bruce Wayne refereed to as a oligarch in any of his Batman villains?

Was the Japanese guy from Inception?
  • Every time Kenneth Branaghs character was on screen he was referred to as a oligarch. Was Bruce Wayne refereed to as a oligarch in any of his Batman villains?

An oligarch presumes a strong connection to the state, which would be the norm for a billionaire from, say, Russia.
    You think the US is different with its system of unlimited money pumped into political campaigns?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How the wording differs when describing the same thing, is part of the propaganda machinery. It is very common and very obvious.
  • I've booked a second viewing, due to the disaster in the Vue cinema last time round, with them tampering with the sound. That distracted me from watching it properly.

I'm now booked into a decent Showcase cinema. Fingers crossed the sound is better, and I enjoy it more.
    Every time Kenneth Branaghs character was on screen he was referred to as a oligarch. Was Bruce Wayne refereed to as a oligarch in any of his Batman villains?

I think Branagh having to fake a Russian accent was the most annoying thing with the film (in addition to the tinnitus inducing loud synth obviously...). His performance as a whole was probably not too bad. Honestly I don't know as the ridiculous accent nagged me too much to even attempt making a proper assessment. They would have been much better off casting a Russian actor in the role.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    My wife wants to see it again. It's a date.
    jobo wrote: »

I think Branagh having to fake a Russian accent was the most annoying thing with the film (in addition to the tinnitus inducing loud synth obviously...). His performance as a whole was probably not too bad. Honestly I don't know as the ridiculous accent nagged me too much to even attempt making a proper assessment. They would have been much better off casting a Russian actor in the role.

Hes basically playing the same role he did in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    AstonLotus wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. I hope that's the last we get of his mediocre Russian accents.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 928
    Creasy47 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. I hope that's the last we get of his mediocre Russian accents.

But there will be more of his Belgian accent to come!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I can't believe Nolan looked at that and thought, "Yes! More of that, please."
    A Tory being aroused by ethnic stereotypes. Are you surprised?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    In ten minutes, Tenet will begin... :)>-
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Or it began 10 minutes ago and you've already watched it...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I just got done watching Tenet on Sunday and I'm back on Thursday. Or did I watch it now and go back to Sunday and I thought I saw it Sunday? Or is this really Sunday?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It happened.
  • jamesbond0007jamesbond0007 mississippi
    One thing I was thinking recently is that the influence of those early Bond films can be felt in the finale. Essentially, we have one of the classic siege sequences where the battalion make their salvo against the enemy.

This was something really prevalent in the Lewis Gilbert films. In fact, Nolan has explicitly said that TSWLM was a major influence in Tenet. Something that is apparent.

The imagery in that finale is breathtaking. It's interesting that the imagery actually harkens to more modern imagery from war. It could almost be set in Syria. But, naturally, the footage is 'Nolan-ified' and seeing people move forward whilst explosions move in reverse is pretty damn impressive. Plus that explosion and un-explosion of that building before the final confrontation is outstanding.

Tenet-Closed-City.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370
    ccb1524b7d5b0a97755ecaaad4d069bd.jpg

Yeah complete with CGI as not in TSWLM.....
  • jamesbond0007jamesbond0007 mississippi

Perhaps he will be in Bond 26 if ever that happens ....Bond Meets Dr Loveless
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,497

*Plays with inverted bullet on table*

Well, what can I say...

It really bothers me that there's no clear explanation given of how all of this inverted stuff works. Especially how they get back into to "now". And why do have to wear masks? Also, the music at times is just too loud. The worst part of the movie is Branagh. Not only is his accent horrible, his acting is just plain awful. No substance. At all.

But...

Both leads are good, everything looks fantastic and the effects are amazing. So all in all, I'd give it a 6,5/10.

No, it ended ten minutes ago, and you watch it backwards
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tenet is expected to gross $7 million in North America and $23 million internationally this weekend, to cross the $200 million milestone by Sunday.

No, it ended ten minutes ago, and you watch it backwards

;))
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,415
    Finaly Dutch Boxoffce numbers of Tenet from Boxofficemojo and those are very good. The movie starts with 2,1 million ($2,120,915) with 137 screens. That kind of number is overall standard as ''normal'' for some movies people have big expections from. Second or thirth weak wil say more. Tenet did starts a bit lower then QOS in 2008 did $2,249,196 / 135 screens. Price of ticket of Tenet is 14-14,50 euro, whyle QOS was 8,50-8,75 euro.