The James Bond Movie Trivia Quiz

Comments

• Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    If you activate the magnetic field by pulling out a button (presumably metal), I'd imagine it'd be rather difficult to put the button back in.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,609
    That's a good thought, but I'd say the answer is much more straightforward. It probably helps to imagine the situation.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    By the time you know someone is shooting at you, it's too late to activate the watch?
    That's also a good point, but I guess there are also quite some situations where you can anticipate a danger of being shot at and activate the watch in advance.
    I don't think that more than average knowledge/intuition of physics is needed to guess the answer, but thinking more deeply about physics can help here, too.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Suppose Bond activates the magnet on a ship made of steel or beside a car or something big like that, it would certainly sweep him off his feet. Or all magnetic knives from the nearest drawer would come flying towards him.
    Good point about the knives, although they would have to be very close. I don't know how the ship/car scenario would work out in terms of physics, but I think Bond with his weight (except for his arm) could only be moved by the small watch if he was very close to the iron material.
    It may help to think about the scene where the watch is in action.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,378
    The magnet used for moving the boat would easily be strong enough to tear the rope.
    Oh, good point there. The pop science book in which I read about the watch didn't take the boat scene into account; the authors already had a hard time explaining how the spoon could be moved by the small watch. If the watch can move the big boat, the scenarios by @j_w_pepper are more threatening than I had thought.
    But for my question it's irrelevant which of the scenes you take.
    The main problem I see is that, if it is as powerful as Bond believes, it will attract any metallic object in the vicinity, not just the ones Bond aim for. I could be wrong, though.
    It obviously is very powerful when it attracts the boat. One word that you mentioned in your post is an important point.
    A physics clue: (don't get distracted by it, please) The villain certainly isn't so nice that he uses already magnetized bullets. (And the bullets are certainly ferromagnetic.)
    Another clue: it's worth imagining graphically what exactly happens with the bullet.
    Thinking about the teaspoon might help, too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think you mean his magnet doesn’t appear to push things away but attract them, so deflecting the course of a bullet towards you isn’t terribly useful! :)
    Yes, that's it 👍Over to you
    Well, Bond could successfully deflect a bullet aimed at a third person, but the circumstances would have to be really convenient.

(repulsion only works if the bullet is a magnet and has been magnetized in the right direction. Not if the watch magnetizes the bullet)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yay!
    As the watch seems to be activated by twisting the bezel I guess I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and presume that if he twists it the other way the magnet repels :)

Gosh I'm not good at question-setting... how about a very quick one: which ship did Bond serve on when he was in the Navy?
    Should be HMS Exeter? He seems to have served on HMS Turbulence (submarine), too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Ah is that from the CraigBond biography? I guess that's not wrong at all but it's not what I was thinking of: I was thinking of according to the movies. You definitely get a point though! :)
    Hargreaves mentions the Ark Royal in TSWLM, is that the one you mean?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes indeed! I knew it wouldn't last long :)
    If @Tokoloshe2 can't take over, maybe @mtm can continue with a new quiz?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    marc wrote: »
    (repulsion only works if the bullet is a magnet and has been magnetized in the right direction. Not if the watch magnetizes the bullet)
    Quite frankly, if the bullet is a magnet itself and the watch is strong enough to repel such a bullet coming at it at, say, 350 m/s muzzle velocity, why wouldn't the bullet be compelled to simply turn itself around and keep flying with the flat end forward?

Good point. As I had said, the villain won't be so nice to use a magnetic bullet which would be the only way to make repulsion work. But as you've pointed out, even that doesn't seem to make repulsion work.
    Ah, yes...the good old "suspension of disbelief"...
    I have a question. may I ask it ?
    I don't have anything in particular, so go for it @Gerard
    All right : Something unprecedented happened in TSWLM. What is it ?

Clue : AFAIK, it also happened only once in the novels, but not in the one who shares the same title.
    A bit undefined.... Bond met a guy with webbed hands, and nobody noticed while watching the movie, until someone else explained they were supposed to be webbed? (I certainly never realised that until about thirty-some years later.)
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    (I certainly never realised that until about thirty-some years later.)

Neither did I. In fact I'm still not convinced I can notice any difference when I watch it now!
    Nope. A clue : it happens during a dialogue between an iconic character and a character who became iconic. And it happens in one of the few countries where a certain scheme might be legal.
    Not sure about the reference to the country, but I suppose it's unprecedented that M and Gogol agree to 'officially sanction' their agents working together
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I'm baffled by the legal bit.