Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    From Russia With Love is a thrill ride, Grant is great villain.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    TLD: Agreed, one of my favourites.
    I like the 60s flair of FRWL, and Grant's one of the absolutely best henchmen (but not good as basically the main villain). Yet in terms of suspense/excitement it's comparatively one of the most boring Bond movies IMO.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 395
    Live and Let Die is a solid first movie for Moore, was it a most important movie in the series after Diamonds Are Forever and Connery, i think so.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Diamonds Are Forever is suprisingly good, better than people say about it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Thunderball, Connery at his best.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    The Man With The Golden Gun, quit underrated i think.
  • Agent7777Agent7777 England
    Goldeneye. Not seen it in a long time and was surprised how dated it now looks compared to the rest of Brosnan's movies.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Why do you think it is more dated?
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Live and Let Die is a solid first movie for Moore, was it a most important movie in the series after Diamonds Are Forever and Connery, i think so. (...) Diamonds Are Forever is suprisingly good, better than people say about it. (...) The Man With The Golden Gun, quit underrated i think. (...) Thunderball, Connery at his best.
    LALD: one of my Top 5 :) It was certainly important to get away from DAF's silliness, but that was soon to return...
    DAF/TMWTGG: The strong parts of these movies are too much overlooked, I think. But especially DAF is way OTT overall, unfortunately
    TB: may be, but way too much underwater time and, along with that, a very disappointing finale.
    Agent7777 wrote: »
    Goldeneye. Not seen it in a long time and was surprised how dated it now looks compared to the rest of Brosnan's movies.
    Without thinking too deeply about it, GE doesn't feel dated to me.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Octopussy. I thoroughly enjoyed it as always.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,055
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Honestly this film just gets better and better every time I watch it. I love nearly everything about it, the action, cinematography, John Barry's phenomenal score, the story, Telly as Blofeld, but the cherry on top is Diana Rigg. She is just superb. I think she takes the top spot for best Bond girl for me. She can't be beaten.
    MSL49 wrote: »
    The Man With The Golden Gun, quit underrated i think.

My issue with the film is had the writers and producers had more balls the film could of been ten times better the idea of a Most dangerous game scenario with Scaramanga after 007 could of been really cool but the energy concern plot just had to be shoehorned in.
    Quantum of Solace
    Yet another great watch of this! Fabulous Bond film! Craig on top form, and looks terrific, Greene is a very underrated villain (love it when he goes nuts with that axe at the end!), Camille is superb Bond girl, great set pieces and thrilling action.
    And in probably should put this in the controversial thread, but i find Roberto Schaefers cinematography more satisfying than Roger Deakins in SF. Schaefer has a richer pallete to his lensing and this includes interiors. I find Deakins has his moments (particularly when Bond is following Patrice) but a lot of the time SF has a flat colourless look,!
    Anyway another really satisfying view of QOS!
    ( am even warming a lot more to Jack Whites theme!!)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Quantum of Solace
    Yet another great watch of this! Fabulous Bond film! Craig on top form, and looks terrific, Greene is a very underrated villain (love it when he goes nuts with that axe at the end!), Camille is superb Bond girl, great set pieces and thrilling action.
    And in probably should put this in the controversial thread, but i find Roberto Schaefers cinematography more satisfying than Roger Deakins in SF. Schaefer has a richer pallete to his lensing and this includes interiors. I find Deakins has his moments (particularly when Bond is following Patrice) but a lot of the time SF has a flat colourless look,!

It's starting to become my most watched Bond film.

Lean and mean!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Quantum of Solace

Glad you picked up on Schaefer’s cinematography. There truly are some beautiful shots hidden the quagmire of rough and quick editing.

To me, QoS has a more “naturalistic” photography whereas Skyfall is more modern and glossy. To me I prefer SF and what Deakins does but I do give Schaefer credit for QoS.

Overall the DC era has had great cinematography and am confident Sandgren will deliver with NTTD.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Quantum of Solace

Glad you picked up on Schaefer’s cinematography. There truly are some beautiful shots hidden the quagmire of rough and quick editing.

To me, QoS has a more “naturalistic” photography whereas Skyfall is more modern and glossy. To me I prefer SF and what Deakins does but I do give Schaefer credit for QoS.

Overall the DC era has had great cinematography and am confident Sandgren will deliver with NTTD.

I liked the cinematography from my first viewing, from that glorious opening shot, through the Opera sequence, to smaller scenes like Mathis death, Schaefer has a real style to his lensing! Would love to see him return.
    But I agree, Sandgrens work looks very promising!
    TWINE.

Brosnans finest hour as Bond in my humble opinion.Love the focus on a more mature storyline after the more formulaic ( but still highly enjoyable ) TND.David Arnolds finest score for the franchise,Sophie Marceau as an excellent villain.Denise Richards miscast as a nuclear scientist ( but thats part of the fun! ).The action scenes are top knotch and still hold up great over twenty years later.

Have i mentioned i love the score? I have it on constantly while driving!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    TWINE.

Brosnans finest hour as Bond in my humble opinion.Love the focus on a more mature storyline after the more formulaic ( but still highly enjoyable ) TND.David Arnolds finest score for the franchise,Sophie Marceau as an excellent villain.Denise Richards miscast as a nuclear scientist ( but thats part of the fun! ).The action scenes are top knotch and still hold up great over twenty years later.

Have i mentioned i love the score? I have it on constantly while driving!

His music for the boat chase is fantastic. The way it builds and changes during the sequence is wonderful. Not that the whole score isn't excellent.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 12,256
    Deciding between TND and TWINE for a Bond film to watch tonight. In a Brosnan mood, but trying to avoid the usual GE pick (my favorite of the bunch by far) or my least-favorite Bond film DAD. Do I have any suggestions?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 12,985
    They're both good for me.

I'd suggest TND, plenty to enjoy and it moves very quickly. I relish the connections to YOLT and TSWLM across 1967/1977/1997. Another version is long overdue.

I'd suggest TND, plenty to enjoy and it moves very quickly. I relish the connections to YOLT and TSWLM across 1967/1977/1997. Another version is long overdue.

TND it is! I was leaning that way, as I prefer it in general, but I was going to go with whatever got picked first! It definitely has connections to those; I love the naval suit reappearance in particular! Time has also benefitted TND perhaps more than any other Bond film, with the villain's schemes and whatnot. Used to be one of my absolute least favorites, now it's an entry I enjoy a lot!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'll do that myself, @FoxRox. You talked me into it.
    I'll do that myself, @FoxRox. You talked me into it.

Awesome! I'll probably still be a little while as I'm finishing a project, but I figured a Bond film would be a great way to end my day! Has been on my mind today.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    FoxRox wrote: »

TND it is! I was leaning that way, as I prefer it in general, but I was going to go with whatever got picked first! It definitely has connections to those; I love the naval suit reappearance in particular! Time has also benefitted TND perhaps more than any other Bond film, with the villain's schemes and whatnot. Used to be one of my absolute least favorites, now it's an entry I enjoy a lot!

You talked me into it too.

Watched last night.

It hasn't changed where it sits in my ranking's, comfortably in the middle. I agree with most on here that the finale is a fairly generic, John Woo/90's style, but I find everything leading up to that pretty enjoyable.

It may be my own mind inventing this, it's certainly never stated, but I can't help but feel that Bond's Royal Navy connection makes him a bit more vengeful in the climax, shooting anything that moves. Obviously he wants revenge for Paris, too.
    GOLDFINGER
    The first Bond movie I saw will always remain a favourite. But this viewing wasnt exactly positive. Found it slower than usual, particularly the whole section in Kentucky. Really drags actually. It still has very iconic sequences, the pts, the golf match, the laser scene. Gert Frobes Goldfinger remains a wonderful realised villain and Oddjob a classic henchman. I never really liked Honor Blackman, dont find her attractive or alluring, Shirley Eaton on the other hand...!! Connery is effortlessly cool, but it has definitely slipped a bit in my estimation!
    Hoping my next viewing is better.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 17,270
    GOLDFINGER
    The first Bond movie I saw will always remain a favourite. But this viewing wasnt exactly positive. Found it slower than usual, particularly the whole section in Kentucky. Really drags actually. It still has very iconic sequences, the pts, the golf match, the laser scene. Gert Frobes Goldfinger remains a wonderful realised villain and Oddjob a classic henchman. I never really liked Honor Blackman, dont find her attractive or alluring, Shirley Eaton on the other hand...!! Connery is effortlessly cool, but it has definitely slipped a bit in my estimation!

giphy.gif

Guess I'm lucky to find all the Bond girls in GF attractive and alluring.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Live And Let Die

I haven't seen this one in some time now and found it to be an enjoyable, sometimes iconic 7 out of 10. It's got some good moments across the board but almost nothing to give it that extra something to turn the dial up; On the flip side there is nothing bad about the the film either. It's a servicable Bond film from beginning to end. Some really cool locations and imaginative sets, costume design and such. I would say the music was forgettable, but I barely even noticed it in the first place. The casting is great, Yaphet Kotto is an absolute standout as Kananga.

A solid entry that has some neat stuff but ultimately lacks the highs to place it higher in my ranking. Still sits firmly in the mid to lower tier of my list.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    GOLDFINGER

I love pussy galore. :)>-

Efoj-xKWoAEdmzf?format=jpg&name=900x900

• edited August 2020 Posts: 1,469
    GOLDFINGER
    Yes, our interest changes. Several years ago I felt GF was the best Bond film. That was before I watched FRWL, DN, and OHMSS more closely--not to mention TB, which I now rank #4, over GF, #6. GF is excellent in many ways, and iconic, but I also feel it's a rather conservative Bond film in some respects. Whereas GF has Auric and Pussy, TB has Largo and Fiona Volpe--more openly sinister, dangerous, seductive, consequently more fun for me. And I think Bond is more in his element in Nassau than in Kentucky. That said, yes, I know that I too will enjoy watching GF again in the near future.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    GOLDFINGER
    Yes, our interest changes. Several years ago I felt GF was the best Bond film. That was before I watched FRWL, DN, and OHMSS more closely--not to mention TB, which I now rank #4, over GF, #6. GF is excellent in many ways, and iconic, but I also feel it's a rather conservative Bond film in some respects. Whereas GF has Auric and Pussy, TB has Largo and Fiona Volpe--more seedy, dangerous, seductive, consequently more fun for me. And I think Bond is more in his element in Nassau than in Kentucky. That said, yes, I know that I too will enjoy watching GF again in the near future.

Kentucky is definitely up there as one of the most boring locations for a third act in Bond. It's obvious why they had to go there of course. The question is if Fort Knox was really worth it.

Up until the lazer scene I think GF is a classic. The 3rd act however is a big let down for many reasons.