Jaws 45th anniversary

124»

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    There is no comparison, one is the greatest blockbuster of all time, the other isn't even the 2nd best shark film of all time.
    Which is the 2nd best shark movie?
    My guilty pleasure is Deep Blue Sea. The Shallows was surprisingly good except for the finale.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I thought the The Shallows was good for the first two acts, unfortunately they dropped the ball in the third act. Decent shark movie nonetheless.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 9,738
    I have to ask fellow jaws fans if you had to pick a way to bring the franchise back what would you do?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,043
    There is no comparison, one is the greatest blockbuster of all time, the other isn't even the 2nd best shark film of all time.
    Which is the 2nd best shark movie?
    My guilty pleasure is Deep Blue Sea. The Shallows was surprisingly good except for the finale.

The Shallows would be my choice, my Wife and I enjoy Deep Blue Sea for what it is.

Although shark films are not like the gangster films, whereas as that genre is stuffed with quality with obvious high points.

Films about sharks have only one high watermark, a bar set so high that not one film attempting the subject has gone within a hundred miles of it.

The 4K UHD of Jaws is and utter treat, finally the home version all us Jaws fans have been waiting for.

Those trying to say it is no better than the Blu-ray or worse (and I've seen it said) just have sour grapes that they don't own a 4K UHD player and a TV to do it justice.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm wondering if there will be a shark movie one day with a CGI shark that feels real. The Shallows was strong as long as we didn't see too much CGI.

The horror works best when we don't see too much of the monster. Lucky for us, that Bruce didn't work well and Spielberg had to find tricks where he could shock us without seeing anything or much of the shark. It worked so well that I even today can't swim in the open sea.

@Shardlake: Deep Blue Sea has some great scenes and is definitely my second favourite shark movie. As you say, it is far away from the "Jaws" quality; but it is a fun mixture of action, adventure and a bit of horror.
    I only own the DVD of "Jaws" and I'm already happy with that one for the moment.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have to pick this up on 4K ASAP, loving the glowing reviews for it.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    JWPepper wrote: »
    I have been looking at reviews for the 4K 45th Anniversary Steelbook earlier, has anyone purchased it? I have the Universal 100th Anniversary remaster of JAWS I am yet to be convinced the new 4K print is that much of an improvement.

Judge by yourself: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=14173&d2=14171&s1=144626&s2=144588&i=12&l=0

Cheers I have looked at some comparisons, i just wondered if anyone had watched the new 4K transfer as I am aware it is taken from the same restoration as Jaws Universal 100th Anniversary Collectors Series Bluray.

I will likely get it for the Dolby Atmos.

---

Regarding the JAWS films I only own the first film now for good reason, none of the Sequels are particularly good, I had them all on VHS and DVD years ago. I have occasionally watched JAWS 3D when it has appeared on a streaming service.

I have purchased it, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet. I'll give you a heads up when I do. I can't wait. It really is one of the all time great movies..
    In regards to Jaws, has there ever been a high profile film series where the quality drops so dramatically with each subsequent film? It still amazes me that Jaws is one of the greatest films ever, and The Revenge is one of the most truly wretched.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    In regards to Jaws, has there ever been a high profile film series where the quality drops so dramatically with each subsequent film? It still amazes me that Jaws is one of the greatest films ever, and The Revenge is one of the most truly wretched.

I genuinely wonder if they had more time to develop the script and film (and no lorraine Gary mandate) what the fourth film would of looked like
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2020 Posts: 23,105
    @Roadphill

Cheers I will definitely buy it probably next month, Its one of my all time favourites I am in my mid 40's I watched it constantly on VHS as a kid. I loved the recent Bluray restoration that really was a good upgrade, no doubt (certainly the sound) the 4K upscale will be even better.
    i am curious if we did say a Jaws Ultimate time line with the caveat of at least 4 films what people would do for Jaws 3 and 4...
    Risico007 wrote: »

I genuinely wonder if they had more time to develop the script and film (and no lorraine Gary mandate) what the fourth film would of looked like

I mean it couldn't have been any worse. In fact it could have been. Supposedly Chief Brody was meant to be devoured in the opening scene instead of his son. Thankfully Roy Schieder turned down a million dollars to film the scene. He said "even Mephistopheles couldn't convince me to do that". I didn't think I could love Roy any more than I already did, until I heard that.
    Risico007 wrote: »

I mean it couldn't have been any worse. In fact it could have been. Supposedly Chief Brody was meant to be devoured in the opening scene instead of his son. Thankfully Roy Schieder turned down a million dollars to film the scene. He said "even Mephistopheles couldn't convince me to do that". I didn't think I could love Roy any more than I already did, until I heard that.

What saddens me is I wish there were more good Jaws films

My ultimate jaws time line

Jaws 1975 : nothing changes
    Jaws 2 1978: A higher body count but beyond that no
    Jaws 3 1984: Could of worked if it was filmed better and Hooper worked for Seaworld and one of the Brody's could of still visited
    Jaws 4 1988: if the only way to do the fourth film was Lorraine Gary the film is entirely set in the Bahamas whichever Brody Son visited Hooper is the Marine Biologist a higher body count and the shark is just there not there for the Brody's (hence the higher body count)
    Jaws The Origin 1992: honestly do the USS Indianapolis story line here for the 5th film or if you dont have to do the Lorrain gary film (perhaps cameron could of directed this one)
    Jaws Aurora 1996: essentially Deep Blue Sea but one shark and its Hooper on that shark expedition
    Jaws Return to Amity 2005: a sort of Halloween H20 with Roy Scheider returning to the role to face down a new Shark

that raises the film count to 6 and would of been pretty cool in my opinion.

If any of you get the chance (I would guess it's very rare now) read the Jaws 2 novel, by Hank Searles. It's a really good book, arguably better than the original novel. It was based on the first draft of the Screenplay, and is much darker and rounded than the final film. It's a shame that Universal didn't stick with that.
    The film that sowed my fear of swimming! Brilliant, classic film though!
    3 things

1. I never knew this Jaws sequel idea was ever considered: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/this-cant-be-the-plot-synopsis-for-jaws-5-can-it/ I know of the San Francisco plot but never heard of this
    2. could this be a good "jaws 5" https://lrmonline.com/news/spielberg-wanted-jaws-2-to-be-a-prequel-about-the-uss-indianapolis/ I love the monologue as much as the next person but the issue here is how does it fill 2 hours of film time?
    3. I might actually go to the theater to see the original this monday