The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 2,887
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    One wonders if Amis even saw the movie.

Like a couple of other Fleming fans who weren't hot on LTK, Amis thought the series had become too much like an American action movie in the general level of mayhem, stunts, explosions, violence, etc. If those critics could see what subsequent Bond films were like, they might have revised their opinions!

Amis's review of LTK can be heard here by the way.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I watched Passion's Way from 1999 last night (aptly named; phwoar) and good grief, the man does NOT age:

407d3228a6c7f445a47d69060bcf7c56.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2020 Posts: 13,882
    Congrats to Tim on coming 2nd in the recent poll. Losing out to Connery, but seeing off the 4 other Bonds.

Not bad for the Bond that has no sex appeal, runs funny, looks like a librarian, was cast as a runner up to Brosnan, and is only remembered because what Craig has done with Bond.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Congrats to Tim on coming 2nd in the recent poll. Losing out to Connery, but seeing off the 4 other Bonds.

Not bad for the Bond that has no sex appeal, runs funny, looks like a librarian, was cast as a runner up to Brosnan, and is only remembered because what Craig has done with Bond.

Yeah, I was delighted to see that. This result further confirms that Dalton was simply ahead of his time. I've always loved his Bond from Day One. To be honest, I'm torn between Dalton and Craig....Coz I think Craig is the modern Dalton.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Hear hear. My favourite actor next to Alain Delon, and most certainly my favourite Bond.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Yes, coming in #2 behind Connery is fine indeed. Kinda made my day.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 6,727
    Made my day too! And winning a similar poll on here recently, great to see.. fully deserved!
    Timothy Dalton IS James Bond!
    I dunno, if he goes too mainstream I might have to stop supporting him. I always go for underdogs.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I dunno, if he goes too mainstream I might have to stop supporting him. I always go for underdogs.

Me too, still good to hear that he came second after Connery.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Support Craig, he came 6th. ;)
    I doubt Dan's losing any sleep over it!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited August 2020 Posts: 7,567
    I saw this poll result on twitter but I didn't see the actual poll or how it was run. Did they do A v B C v D and then A v C etc, or did they do a straightforward knock out? Craig coming 6th seems odd to say the least

EDIT: ok, saw it. Craig got knocked out first round by Connery. As would any of the actors. A bit daft to say the least.
    "If... if... if..." If they had included Barry Nelson, then Connery would have been knocked out immediatly.

4369316aa2a7666eada3189c51bb6fa9.gif
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    NicNac wrote: »
    I saw this poll result on twitter but I didn't see the actual poll or how it was run. Did they do A v B C v D and then A v C etc, or did they do a straightforward knock out? Craig coming 6th seems odd to say the least

EDIT: ok, saw it. Craig got knocked out first round by Connery. As would any of the actors. A bit daft to say the least.

Certainly Craig was done a disservice by putting him against Connery in the first round, but even so Dalton's victory over Moore leaves me confident enough that he'd be able to beat at least Brosnan and Lazenby too.

Thing is that as a past Bond actor who is not Connery, third place will always be the highest possible place to reach in popularity polls. Most casual fans either prefer Connery or the new one, that's how it has always been.

Dalton's surprise victory over Moore and another 32% of voters still preferring him to either Connery or Brosnan in the final round is a huge accomplishment for someone who has always been one of the underdog Bonds. Great job, Tim!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

Certainly Craig was done a disservice by putting him against Connery in the first round, but even so Dalton's victory over Moore leaves me confident enough that he'd be able to beat at least Brosnan and Lazenby too.

Thing is that as a past Bond actor who is not Connery, third place will always be the highest possible place to reach in popularity polls. Most casual fans either prefer Connery or the new one, that's how it has always been.

Dalton's surprise victory over Moore and another 32% of voters still preferring him to either Connery or Brosnan in the final round is a huge accomplishment for someone who has always been one of the underdog Bonds. Great job, Tim!
    Agree totally. Especially considering Roger's popularity has increased since his death, that was a good result for Tim.

Dalton's victory feels as if he just did his 3rd Bond film.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Oh, how i have had dreams of that happening!!
    Such a shame it never happened!!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a painful dream to always wake up from.
    I wouldn’t trade Brosnan’s GE for it, but I seriously wish we could have had a third Dalton film (and second Lazenby, while I’m at it).
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 280
    The Telegraph being sort of correct? Is the sky still blue?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I love Brosnan, but Tim needed at least one more film. TND could have still happened.....
    chrisisall wrote: »

I love Brosnan, but Tim needed at least one more film. TND could have still happened.....

If I could switch things up to be super picky, I'd replace Connery's DAF with a second, revenge-driven Lazenby film to end the Blofeld saga, then carry on as normal until after LTK, where a third Dalton film is inserted between that and Brosnan's GE. If I have to sacrifice another film to make it happen, I'll gladly give up DAD, so that both Dalton and Brosnan could have three.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    If I could switch things up to be super picky, I'd replace Connery's DAF with a second, revenge-driven Lazenby film to end the Blofeld saga, then carry on as normal until after LTK, where a third Dalton film is inserted between that and Brosnan's GE. If I have to sacrifice another film to make it happen, I'll gladly give up DAD, so that both Dalton and Brosnan could have three.

I'd go for this. Make it so!
    chrisisall wrote: »

Yeah, I also love Brosnan. Especially, his TND performance. But of course, Dalton not doing a third film still hurts....I fear the hurt might never heal.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just posted by the official James Bond youtube account:

Not only my favorite scene with Dalton, but one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise.

Not only my favorite scene with Dalton, but one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise.

Agreed.
    "Yess, I got rhe message!" Love the way Dalton delivers that line!

Agreed.

Yeah, I really love the way Dalton delivers that line with calm coldness and Barry's music in this scene, is spectacular as always.

I love this scene!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Agreed.

Yeah, I really love the way Dalton delivers that line with calm coldness and Barry's music in this scene, is spectacular as always.

I love this scene!

+1
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    The Living Daylights was the first Bond film that I watched when I was 11 years old. Back then, I thought Dalton too dark and serious, while thinking Connery and Moore were the best in my early teens. Fast forward 25 years later and I now find him the most criminally underrated Bond ever and his only two outings the most criminally underrated Bond films.

Truth be told - Dalton was a breath of fresh air after the tongue in cheek antics of the Moore era, and brought the character back to reality. Had it not been for the legal issues, he would of done at least two more before signing off.