George Lucas says he is retiring from movie industry !!!

DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
edited May 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 15,690
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/George-Lucas-Says-He-Retiring-31174.html

no more edited versions of Star Wars, hopefully......

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Y'know, even if Lucas isn't the one putting things back into the Star Wars movies, somebody else will. I personally have no problem with it (most of us like director's cuts, yet hate what George Lucas does to Star Wars films - the same thing).

However, quitting the industry? No. He'll be drawn back and he'll make yet another big budget blockbuster that we'll all see and most of us will despise if for no other reason than Lucas Bashing.
    Indiana Jones 5 says other wise.....
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    if it's true, that he's been working on the script Indy 5 - then he'll most likely finish that up, then walk away.... can't imagine he'd have anything bigger on his plate at the moment than that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The man's a legend and deservedly so. He can retire anytime he wants. I hope he sticks around for a bit more.
    He has been in sad decline for years. Frankly this can't come too soon before he does more damage to his own legacy.
    Aside from Greedo getting a single shot at Han in the Cantina, I admit I liked all the updated bits of the Original Star Wars Trilogy. Mind you, I still haven't seen the Blu Ray, no idea what's new now.

But Han blew Greedo away, plain and simple. That's Han Solo
    He totally destroyed the band in the bar scene.
  • I'd love one last Indiana Jones film. Send the old boy out on a high note, just like Stallone (against all the odds, and the naysayers) did with Rocky Balboa.
    And Rambo! That's practically my favorite one! Now that's a proper sendoff!!!

A good point on Rocky-- even Stallone himself said he despised Rocky V. The Indiana Jones series could go the same route- as I think Steven and Harrison weren't too keen on KOTCS
    Yes, but the problem with KOTCS was Lucas... and too much bad CGI (a late Lucas trademark).

Let Spielberg produce a fifth on its own and it MIGHT be alright.

They should follow the (old) Bond rule of 'real' special effects.
    Totally agreed. I hate overuse of CGI, and especially in a film with Indiana Jones!!! Those movies need DIRT and SWEAT
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I am praying to the film Gods that this goes through, but I know that he'll see a lightsaber in A New Hope and think "that needs to be brighter!". :-w
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    To be fair though, Lucas created Star Wars. The films are his to do with as he pleases. But yes, I suggest they be left alone from here on. They're good enough.
    It's true. But when the creator becomes a deluded lunatic, perhaps it's time to take the toys away for good. The fact he refuses to release original editions of the first three movies (or so I understand it) is a sign of what a control freak he is. People loved the films as they were. Fine if he wants to trash them, but at least let people see them in their original form.
    Virage wrote:
    Indiana Jones 5 says other wise.....

Absolutely Virage! I recall there being talk of Spielberg and Lucas planning the 5th film. So i think he will be back in the future. But please no more milking of the Star Wars films! I'm sure the plan was for 9 movies in total? But where could you go with it after "Return Of The Jedi"?
    Here is an interesting read regarding Star Wars VII, VIII & IX, and why they're a bad idea

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/
    Getafix wrote:
    It's true. But when the creator becomes a deluded lunatic, perhaps it's time to take the toys away for good.
    All of the Star Wars prequels would've turned out immeasureably better if Lucas had not been involved in writing the scripts. He should've let others direct them as well.

His problem over the last two decades has been purely one of ego.

That, and (apparently) surrounding himself with nothing but sycophantic butt-kissers. No one dared tell him, "No, George... That'd be stupid."

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I wonder if he'll follow through with the Star Wars: Underworld TV Series? You know. "Empire on steroids".
    I remember *really* wanting a Shadows of the Empire movie back in the day. That was before the prequels came out, right? Can't remember.

I'd love a TV show that took place between Episodes III & IV, with Darth Vader as the main villain. Is that what Underworld was?
    I,ve heard that Gl has shelved plans for the live action SW series due to budget problems! Can't quite believe it myself bu that's what i read.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Underworld is set between episode III and IV and should happen soon. It's on hold due to it being too expensive at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2,341
    Lets not forget Indiana Jones (1-3) he gave us that fun series too.
    Star Wars (episodes 4-6) will remain his crowning achievement with the Empire Strikes Back being his "masterpiece".
    With the second trilogy he showed us what CGI can be (I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing)
    If not for Lucas we would not have films like Pearl Harbor, Red Tails, DAD.... :(
    the last Indiana Jones film was a joke, Harrison Ford is too damn old, give it up. the franchise is done, if its made into a 5th it'll be purely for the $ .
    If a new star wars franchise is made, there should be new characters all together. Star Wars is so much more than just the Anakin and Darth Vader timelines.

My favorite RPG of all time was STAR WARS- THE OLD REPUBLIC for PC and Xbox. it won game of the year back in 2003. It was focused thousands of years before the Vader / konobi timeline .

So if there is a new sw movie ide like to see one set place thousands of years later or before the konobi/Vader era.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I have one thing to say. "May the force be with you."
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,813
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Star Wars (episodes 4-6) will remain his crowning achievement with the Empire Strikes Back being his "masterpiece".

You are correct, but remember Steven Spielberg was closely involved with the creation of Indiana Jones and handled the direction. And different people directed The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi; Lucas only directed A New Hope (and the prequels....)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    OHMSS69 wrote:

You are correct, but remember Steven Spielberg was closely involved with the creation of Indiana Jones and handled the direction. And different people directed The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi; Lucas only directed A New Hope (and the prequels....)

I've read that Lucas actually directed more of Return of the Jedi than Richard Marquand, and that at least a few scenes from Empire were Lucas-directed as well.
    He retired before Howard the Duck didn't he?

Poor guy, in film school, he was seen as the most creative director there, see THX 1138 yet he ended making up kiddy films. He was going to be the next Jean Luc Goddard...go figure.
    He retired before Howard the Duck didn't he?

(Imitating George Lucas) What's Howard the Duck? I've never heard of that. Star Wars Christmas Special? Huh? What are you talking about? (Imitating George Lucas)
    He was at his best (IMO) as a creator of concepts/stories. The Star Wars and Indi 'worlds' are film genius. He gave us a lot, but then sadly totally lost it.