And the Bondie for best actor as a Henchman...page 126

Comments

• Gerard wrote: »
    Except that, by this point, she has already killed two men, including the murderer of her parents. The damage is already done by then.

Better late than never I suppose...
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,564
    jobo wrote: »

Annoying girl as well...

Sean evidently didn't think so. I understand that he & Lana had a bit of a thing going for awhile there...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Has everyone seen this?
    I’m going to have to say AVTAK because I literally cannot remember that bit.

But overall I like all of these (well, the ones I can remember). The Bond films’ sacrificial lambs together form one of the best and most consistent traditions of the series.
    Chuck Lee gets my vote, really poor character, so didnt really give a toss he was killed!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Luigi doesn't get enough screen time and he is immediately forgotten after his death. It is okay for me when he gets the Klebbie.
    Solange is good and her death is definitely not worth a Klebbie (imo).
    Chuck Lee really doesn't have something memorable to do but his death Scene isn't bad at all.
    I have to go with Plenty. Her death is really mean but the viewer doesn't understand it without the deleted Scene. I watched the movie yesterday and it annoyed me a lot that they didn't insert that short scene. And is it okay to chill on a sunbed in front of the drowned body??
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Has everyone seen this?

Yes, I did see that, but I didn't make the link at the time. Pretty cool (good movie too).

I understand why Plenty is on the list, but I do find her endearing in a way. Her death as said makes absolutely no sense though.
    Paula definately has a role to play and is actually a fun character. Her death is sad and definately affects our man, as does Solange's death, even though he pretends it doesn't. Luigi's is indeed pretty bad, and I'm not sure there is any good reason for it. But the Klebbie must go to Chuck (who?) Lee, who's role was forgettable and who's death I indeed can't remember.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,861
    thedove wrote: »
    There are some tonal shifts in FYEO and you've hit on one @mtm we see Bond take revenge on Blofeld in the PTS. Then we see Bond tell Melina that revenge isn't the way to go, then we see him avenge Luigi's death. It leaves me wondering, is revenge only justified when Bond is performing it?

Good point: I've never thought of that.
    I guess the 'dig two graves' thing means you should be prepared to lose your own life in the process rather than 'don't do revenge at all' though, and Bond is prepared for that.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Luigi doesn't get enough screen time and he is immediately forgotten after his death. It is okay for me when he gets the Klebbie.
    Solange is good and her death is definitely not worth a Klebbie (imo).
    Chuck Lee really doesn't have something memorable to do but his death Scene isn't bad at all.
    I have to go with Plenty. Her death is really mean but the viewer doesn't understand it without the deleted Scene. I watched the movie yesterday and it annoyed me a lot that they didn't insert that short scene. And is it okay to chill on a sunbed in front of the drowned body??

It's really cruel when you think about it, that Bond would just sit there reading a magazine and he wouldn't have done anything with her. Would have been better for Case to enter the scene first, then Bond comes in and helps piece it together. He looks like a dick the way it's staged.
    Chuck Lee
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Plenty
    Solange is rather important in that she's really the first case of someone indirectly killed because of their involvement with Bond if we count this as a Bond begins scenario.

Paula's death is also sad. She stays loyal to Bond and the service to the point she sacrifices herself. You can actually feel for both her's and Solange's death. What's really kinda' cold is when Pinder later asks Bond if he has anything to relay to London and he's says "Tell them Paula's dead." Although he is

Not to be cold myself, but Plenty really kind of set herself up to be killed. She came on to Bond, he didn't pursue her. She was a floozy going for the guy who's winning. Shoulda stuck with Maxie. I like the line Bond puts back on her during that deleted scene when he sends the wine back and she says I bet they make you pay for that and Bond replies "I was under the impression you were paying" and she looks surprised.

No, she didn't deserve to get thrown out a window, but shouldn't that have been clue no. 1 to get away from Bond? Why go back up to the room if Bond is getting surrounded by gangsters? And how did she get in the room? Did they not have locks on hotel rooms in 1971? And why did Wint and Kidd off her? Kidd at least saw Case on the plane and mentioned she was attractive for a lady. In the old SPECTRE days that would've meant their execution.

So it comes down to Ferrara and Chuck Lee. Chuck Lee is completely unmemorable and even more annoying since he could've been Felix. I recall reading in the Starlog AVTAK special that MGW or someone said usually they use Felix when Bond is in the U.S. but since Bond was near Chinatown they would use an Asian agent. It would've been a welcome return to have Felix back to round out Moore's run since he was there in LALD to start it.

My vote will go to Ferrar-er (a nod to Moore's pronunciation of his name). While Chuck Lee is unmemorable, Ferrar-er is just silly and an unnecessary light comedy character in a film that was trying to get away from that. His little moment of mystery doesn't work before Bond meets him and his attempts to be all business are laughable. I like his repeating of "very reliable" about Kristatos. Yeah, he's the villain. Besides, why have 2 sacrificial lambs since Lisl's death was much more meaningful other than to throw a red herring to have Bond suspect Colombo.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 1,009
    I would have voted for TSWLM's Jerrica, but she's not there, so my vote goes for Plenty. What could have been an awesome moment for Wint and Kidd ended up being a hole in the screenplay.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Chuck who? Yeah, he gets my vote...
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    I vote for Chuck Lee. I genuinely forget he was in the film until I saw this Klebbie.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As others have said, Plenty O'Toole. Not only is she a gold digger without any redeeming features. But her character is completely pointless. Turning up dead in Tiffany's pool is always confusing unless one is privy to the deleted scenes from DAF.
    Looks like it's a two horse race! I wish to clarify my putting of Solange in this trio. I think the character plays a part in advancing the story. I find her screen time so limited we aren't really able to react emotionally to her death. I don't think it changes Bond any and he seems emotionless seeing her in the hammock.

Looks like the votes are slowing down...I shall keep things open for a bit and then close and get another category ready!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks like it's a two horse race! I wish to clarify my putting of Solange in this trio. I think the character plays a part in advancing the story. I find her screen time so limited we aren't really able to react emotionally to her death. I don't think it changes Bond any and he seems emotionless seeing her in the hammock.

To me he looked very uncomfortable. Slightly shocked, but he suppresses it.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,262
    Poor Plenty's getting massacred here. Wasn't Chuck Lee the waiter who gets shot at the Club Obi-Wan near the beginning of Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom?

Of those 5 nominees I'll vote for

Luigi doesn't touch the buttons but is killed by Logue in FYEO

though I don't dislike any of them.
    I would have voted for TSWLM's Jerrica

Who's Jerrica?

I assumed it was the lady that Bond uses as a shield when Sandor shoots?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861

To me he looked very uncomfortable. Slightly shocked, but he suppresses it.

Yeah I think he's pretty uncomfortable and saddened by it but doesn't want his facade to slip in front of M. It's possibly more annoyance that he's failed more than she has died though.
    Poor Plenty's getting massacred here. Wasn't Chuck Lee the waiter who gets shot at the Club Obi-Wan near the beginning of Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom?

Indeed, David Yip was the star of his own series 'The Chinese Detective' on the BBC in the early 80s so he was relatively famous at the time and would pop up in lots of things, even if he couldn't do the accent (as in AVTAK!).
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Chuck Lee gets my vote as I actually remember the other ones...

Yes.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

Yes.

You mean Felicca:

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Felicca
    Who's Jerrica?

I struggle with this myself: Characters whose names are never adressed or mentioned in the actual film and only appear in the end titles. Why am I supposed to know what they are called when their names were never adressed in the film?

Okay my dear academy members I thought it was a 2 nominee race and it turns out to be a three way. (insert groaner of a pun here!) I will see if any more votes come in today and then call things.

A reminder if you have a suggestion for a Bondie/Klebbie please message me and I will add it to our queue. Remember it needs to have no more then 5 nominees. Don't worry about having a nominee from each Bond actor films. Be controversial and have fun!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I actually kinda like Chuck, so my vote is for Luigi. He feels out of place in FYEO.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I'll have to go with Chuck Lee here.

Plenty while stronger with deleted scenes, still has some importance in moving the story forward and is a memorable character.

Paula, while overshadowed by some of the other secondary characters, is still memorable, aids Bond, as well as has a memorable capture and death.

Solange is definitely memorable and is key in setting the tone for Craig's Bond as his first female encounter.

Luigi is the other one I considered here, but he avoids the klebbie because of the dove pin which adds intrigue to this mysterious faction
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Does Plenty move the story forward?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Not really but maybe @MooseWithFleas means that Tiffany realizes that she is in real danger and that they should plan their next step carefully...