The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

edited February 2017 in Actors Posts: 12,837
Basically, if you're a fan of Brosnan and his Bond films and you'd like to find a thread where you can discuss how you enjoy his films without somebody butting in and making a joke about how bad they were, this is the thread for you. Could also talk about some of the great films he's done outside of Bond, like The Matador.

Comments

• I am not the biggest Brosnan fan, but I am starting to warm up to his era. I also find the way he seems to handle his personal life as very admireable.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Nice!

Btw Living, it's Matador. lol, but anyways, i'll watch that film very soon.

Brosnan's best, with no doubt, was Goldeneye. The Best Bond film, with the Best Bond actor. The film is quite memorable, the action is great, it IS the Bond action. As i always thought and always will, HE IS the real James Bond. I hope it is just not me who thinks that.

I don't know so much about his personal life, but i know he is one of the greatest actors i've ever seen.
    Like the Brosnan output and it is short 1 movie in my personal opinion. O:-)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Two reasons to like the Broz: Tailor of Panama and The Ghost Writer.
    Apart from Moore, Brosnan is my favorite Bond. I think his performance in DAD is outstanding and TND is also very good. TND and DAD are also in my top ten, while the other two are in the middle of the pack.

I like GE, it is a dark thriller but at the same time OTT. Brosnan's performance is allright, but he became much better later.

TND is a very good movie and feels more Bondian to me than GE. Brosnan givesavery good performance.

TWINE is IMO very uneven, but the lighter, more TND-styled scenes fit Brosnan perfectly. I dislike the drama and wish all of it was scrapped. Pierce is ok in the drama scenes and very good in some others.

DAD is also a very good movie and has a great OTT tone to it. Brosnan gives a really great performance.

I'll end this post by saying how incredibly disappointed I am that he was fired before it was time for him to leave. He had several more movies in him.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2012 Posts: 8,009
    Yeah, I like Broz. He had the style and the class, handled himself well in the action scenes (although, the stunt doubles were obvious at times) and he was good at charming the ladies, and the audience.

GoldenEye is one of my favourite Bond films, Tomorrow Never Dies is just outside my top 10, and TWINE is my 8 or 9th favourite depending on what day of the week it is, and Die Another Day, as weak as it was, still had a good central performance from Brosnan, even if he was slightly overshadowed by painfully bad SFX.

My second favourite Bond behind Connery, with Dalton/Craig just behind him again.

Outside of Bond, he's been getting better with age. Forget his earlier B-movies, watch the guy in The Matador, The Tailor of Panama, Seraphim Falls and The Ghost Writer. He's exceptional, especially in the first three.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I must confess I no longer rate Brosnan at the top like I used to. I like at least Connery and Craig more now, the rest I'm still debating.

BUT the man got me into Bond and for he will always be a bit of a hero to me (regardless of what he said after "leaving" Bond). If I met him I would go weak at the knees - more so than if I saw the old grumps Sean and Dan (ok perhaps not Sean) ;)

Here's to the Broz: :D

Funnily enough I found out just the other day a bloke I work with once chatted to him when he was out with his kid at some local sporting event. This was while he was Bond. Said he was a nice bloke. I went all crazy and was like "OMG tell me more" :p
    The Best James Bond to ever walk the screen! His era oozes with pure Bond, no questions need be asked there. He is and will always be Bond to me. There's no denying this man's epicness when playing the role of our favorite hero. Both GE and TND are in my top five, and TWINE and DAD are terrific entries to the series as well.
    Loved Brosnan in Goldeneye, but after that I really can't stand his films. However, I don't really hold that against Brosnan. I think it was really a product of some really awful scripts from TND-DAD. While I do have him second to last on my ranking of Bond actors, (Connery, Craig, Dalton, Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby) he's really not too far behind Moore in my eyes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love this man. Bond, pre-Bond, post-Bond, he is my favorite actor of all time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pierce is the man, He'll always be my top Bond. GoldenEye was his best outing followed by Everything or Nothing. :3 He was on top of his game, wish he would have made one last film as a send off.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    for me, Goldeneye will always be the best Brosnan Bond movie... after Goldeneye, his Bond movies start to circle the drain... While I don't feel like he was a great Bond, I do feel that he deserved a better send off than DAD..

outside of Bond, films that I liked him in have been, in no particular order...

Dante's Peak
    Mars Attacks
    The Thomas Crown Affair
    The Tailor Of Panama
    After The Sunset
    Seraphim Falls
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'm happy to see so much Brozza love.
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Thanks, I'll change that now :)

Anyway, Brosnan for me is the 2nd best Bond. Right behind Dalton and on par with Connery. I think his best film was GE, but I thought TWINE was great and TND was good too. I like alot of DAD but I don't like how much CGI they started using towards the end, and some of the dialouge. The thing I liked about him was that he always seemed so cool on screen. My favourite film of his outside of Bond is either The Matador or Taylor Of Panama. He's a great actor.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I'm happy to see so much Brozza love.
    X3MSonicX wrote:

Thanks, I'll change that now :)

actually, on IMDB and the film's movie poster - it's listed as 'The Matador'.... so you were right the first time.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Brosnan is a great actor even in his weakest roles (TWINE, DAD, Mama Mia!, Mars Attacks!). That's one thing that quite a few actors can't do (and, sad as it is to say, Sean is one of them, his performance in NSNA shows that), and should be praised. Brosnan's performance in Bag of Bones was excellent, imo, and showed me that, even though the man is aging, he's still acting just as well as before.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well I just want to say THANK YOU for this thread; sorry I didn't think of it first. Really deserved. I enjoy Brosnan's Bond very much and like him as an actor. I think The Thomas Crown Affair is nearly perfect in every way. I also enjoyed The Matador (I only know it with the word "The" in it), the Tailor from Panama, and Evelyn. He has had a nice variety of roles, and I look forward to the new spy film he will be doing; I think it's called November Man. Pierce does truly seem to get better with age. Not many can say that.
    Please don't forget Pierce's fine performance in the Muppets. He was very good actually.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Brosnan was by far the best thing (and only good thing) in 'Remember Me'. he had some very good scenes there, like in the restaurant with Pattinson, where he looked completly in his element, and when he got angry at Pattinson in his office where it looked like Brosnan was about to destroy Pattinson's existence !!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Brosnan was by far the best thing (and only good thing) in 'Remember Me'. he had some very good scenes there, like in the restaurant with Pattinson, where he looked completly in his element, and when he got angry at Pattinson in his office where it looked like Brosnan was about to destroy Pattinson's existence !!

I really need to catch up with more of Brosnan's films. I am lagging. And I do usually enjoy him even if the movie overall isn't too great.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I saw a film with Brosnan in called "The Greatest" a year or two ago.

It was some kind of drama, basically his son dies and then his sons girlfriend shows up who was in the same car crash and she's pregnant and they have to take her in. Not my kind of film but my girlfriend cried, and Brosnan was a good actor in it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yeah, I like Broz. He had the style and the class, handled himself well in the action scenes (although, the stunt doubles were obvious at times) and he was good at charming the ladies, and the audience.
    00Beast wrote:
    The Best James Bond to ever walk the screen! His era oozes with pure Bond, no questions need be asked there. He is and will always be Bond to me. There's no denying this man's epicness when playing the role of our favorite hero. Both GE and TND are in my top five, and TWINE and DAD are terrific entries to the series as well.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BUT the man got me into Bond and for he will always be a bit of a hero to me (regardless of what he said after "leaving" Bond). If I met him I would go weak at the knees - more so than if I saw the old grumps Sean and Dan (ok perhaps not Sean) ;)

Hear, hear! The best may be Connery, the most faithful to Fleming may be Dalton, but my favourite shall be Pierce. He had the style, sophistication, charm and he could handle himself. Moreover, he was our generation's Bond; whenever I hear James Bond, he the first image that pops up in me mind.

@royale65: Precisely! The name James Bond has Brosnan written all over it. You're exactly right that he had the style, sophistication, and charm, as well as being more than capable to handle himself. One scene which really flashes with all four is when Bond is in Lachaise's office in Spain during the PTS of The World is not Enough. His quips ("I'm sure they're perfectly rounded"), his style ("We know how difficult that can be for a Swiss banker"), and his fighting skills when taking out Lachaise's men are all in top form here. Another prime example is in GoldenEye during the Russian Archives battle. I love it when he slides on the floor and bursts rounds out of that AK-47. If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does!
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2,341
    Maybe no one remembers this but I liked him as Ian Dunross in Noble House, the TV miniseries (1988) that was based on james Clavell's great novel.
    I liked that so much that I went out and bought the book and read it. I thought Brosnan did a great job as Dunross. When i read the book I pictured him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Maybe no one remembers this but I liked him as Ian Dunross in Noble House, the TV miniseries (1988) that was based on james Clavell's great novel.
    I liked that so much that I went out and bought the book and read it. I thought Brosnan did a great job as Dunross. When i read the book I pictured him.

that aired on the telly here a few months ago.... I caught a few bit here and there, but I thought Brosnan was quite good !

I am ashamed to say I have never watched an entire 'Remington Steele' episode in my life !!
    I am ashamed to say I have never watched an entire 'Remington Steele' episode in my life !!

Watch the first episode of Season 2, it has the opening notes of the James Bond theme somewhere. :D It's also 2 hours long I believe.

Murdock wrote:

Watch the first episode of Season 2, it has the opening notes of the James Bond theme somewhere. :D It's also 2 hours long I believe.

thanks for the tip !! will try and find it somewhere.....

The episode is quite good, it's a genuine mystery thriller. it also introduces Doris Roberts to the cast.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I watched the first few episodes of season one of Remington Steele, and loved it.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I've never seen Remington Steel but Brosnan seems to have a slightly awkward charm in it judging by this video

Love his smile though :D
    I respect people's opinions in that they genuinely think Brosnan was best Bond ever, but we can argue the point that it's simply not the case, but fair enough, the man did present some quality moments in his tenure and genuine Bond like moments, but all said, he seemed so far detached on occasion he didn't resemble the character at all every now and again, it wasn't all his doing, there was other demons at work that contributed to a film's downfall that he was involved in, but for all and any great Brosnan moments as Bond it can be hard to overlook sometimes the negative aspects or even when you see him on screen, 'This isn't James Bond' etc

Better than Lazenby, although George didn't really get a chance to show his potential, better than Moore for the sum total, slightly ahead of Craig as of now, but nowhere near the level of Connery or Dalton, he seemed a bit slimy at times actually

Brosnan has done some good work outside of Bond in other releases, but as the Fleming character, it doesn't always work for me. I wish I could speak more highly of the man as he's a well established and recognized actor, but as this is primarily about Bond, I focus on that, and Brosnan just doesn't reach the heights in that