Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• edited July 2020 Posts: 1,637
    The last few yrs were not good for Saxon with Parkinson and memory loss , thats why he moved from CA to TN (he stopped signing autographs full stop last 2-3 yrs but someone at his website forged his signature even though people paid for real ones , his hand writing had been shaky last 5-6 yrs but those coming from CA were not shaky)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,105

Almost forgot about this, Gene Roddenbery story John Saxon starred in. TV series that never was
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 1,637
    He was also Jo's lawyer on Melrose (the Carters were trying to get Jos baby , Jo and their criminal son Reed had been dating , it ended with Jo killing Reed in self defense)

Also played a sheik on Dynasty
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

A heartfelt 2016 tribute to Olivia de Havilland done by Robert Osborne of TCM (Turner Classic Movies). I have a vague memory of reading something about her lawsuit against Warner Bros. studio in the 1940’s, but didn’t really appreciate how ground breaking that court case was until today.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/07/olivia-de-havilland/608851/
    As with many “younger” people, I know her mostly from “Gone With The Wind”, but my favorite de Havilland film is probably 1938’s “Robin Hood.”

PS: At this point can 2020 get any worse? Hard to believe, but the answer is probably yes.
  • So you say you're not happy with the state of the world these days? Here's more of Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac from 1969: "Oh Well." "I can't help about the shape I'm in -- I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin. But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to...."

Almost forgot about this, Gene Roddenbery story John Saxon starred in. TV series that never was

I actually have that movie on DVD – mostly as a Post “Star-Trek” Gene Roddenberry curio and the presence of Janet Margolin (“David and Lisa”, “Take the Money and Run”, “Annie Hall”, etc..). I’ve often wondered why she didn’t have a greater film career, since she appeared to have so much promise. Sadly, she died of Ovarian cancer in 1993.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,105
    WWE Tribute to Regis Philbin

---

@Dwayne Janet Margolin is an actress I am not that familiar with though when I looked at her IMDb page I realised I have watched her countless times in movies and TV, very attractive woman in her youth

• My good friend Morgan Cowin has passed away. Morgan was a wizard player of the musical saw. Past President of the International Musical Saw Players Association, Morgan was also a stalwart presence in the San Francisco folk music community. RIP my friend, you will be missed.

Bent Bjerre , Olsen Gang composer......ive seen each film like 20 times , in Norway these always got bad reviews but audience obviously like them as they made 14 (!) of them

Olsen Gang is originally danish but they let Norway and Sweden make their own editions
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My deepest condolensces, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs. You are in my thoughts.

• edited July 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Thanks, @DarthDimi. Here's some video of a jam that just surfaced with Morgan playing the saw & yours truly on guitar & vocals (and incidental whistling.) Other guitarists include Doug Jones, with Karen Imperial on spoken commentary and occasional back-up vocals. I'm not sure who that is playing the bass. The song, "From Behind That Locked Door" was written and recorded by George Harrison on his "All Things Must Pass" album.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 15,785
    Another Golden Age of Hollywood star left us last week:

Sonia Darrin passed away on 7/19/20

Memorable as the book shop clerk Bogart annoys in THE BIG SLEEP.

bogart.jpg?quality=80&strip=all
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Herman Cain has passed -- from COVID-19. Further deponent sayeth naught...
    Just learned that british movie director Sir Alan Parker has passed away, aged 76 :

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/07/31/world/europe/ap-eu-britain-obit-alan-parker.html?searchResultPosition=1#:~:text=LONDON%20%E2%80%94%20British%20filmmaker%20Alan%20Parker,London%20after%20a%20long%20illness.

And I've learned this week that my sister has also died, aged 57. Trouble is, I only learned of the facts two months after her demise. Apparently, no member of our family have known, even if her employers did. More in another thread, I think, but right now, i'm shocked, and more than a little bit angry.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Gerard, you have my sympathy.

As for Alan Parker, the man made one of my all-time favourite movies: ANGEL HEART.
    Also enjoyed Mississippi Burning and Birdy.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Angel Heart and of course Birdy, yes. Pink Floyd The Wall.
    RIP Alan Parker, really talented Director
    Midnight Express, Bugsy Malone, Mississippi Burning, and the wonderful The Commitments!
    I actually just warched a lovely film of his the other night, which was his scripting debut, called Melody!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    RIP Sir Alan Parker.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RIP Alan Parker, such a diversified legacy of films. Bugsy Malone to Mississippi Burning. A truly gifted director. I wish he had a longer resume of films to look back over.
    Benny wrote: »
    RIP Alan Parker, such a diversified legacy of films. Bugsy Malone to Mississippi Burning. A truly gifted director. I wish he had a longer resume of films to look back over.

I think he became a bit disillusioned with the film industry, either that or he just went out of fashion as a director. He does have an impressive resume!
    I remember him being interviewed around 1999 when Michael Apted was signed for TWINE, and saying he admired him for taking on a Bond film!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    My condolences, @Gerard.
    Reni Santoni (Seinfeld , Dirty Harry)
    R. I. P. Alan Parker Angel Heart is a brilliant Neo Noir one of my favourite films.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Tracy wrote: »
    Reni Santoni (Seinfeld , Dirty Harry)

RIP Reni Santoni, wonderful as Poppie on Seinfeld.
    6odkcgg5xjwe.gif
    Jiro Kuwata, mangaka, author of the manga version of Batman in the 60s, passed away in july, aged 85 :

https://www.herocollector.com/en-gb/Article/batmangas-jiro-kuwata
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    RIP Martin Birch, he was 71. Legendary producer, who worked on albums for Fleetwood Mac, Whitesnake, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath,...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/martin-birch-dead/
    Trini Lopez has died. According to news reports he died from complications caused by COVID-19.
    https://variety.com/2020/music/news/trini-lopez-dead-dies-the-dirty-dozen-1234732017/

For those of you too young to remember, Lopez’s rise coincided with the “folk” movement in the 1960s (think Peter, Paul and Mary). And even though he was born in Dallas, Texas, I like to think that he added a touch of “Mexican flavoring” to the music of that period. Later, he went into acting, and even appeared in the film “The Dirty Dozen.” He was 83 years old.

Oddly, I remember “singing” this song when I was about 4 or 5 years old.

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning
    I'd hammer in the evening, all over this land
    I'd hammer out danger, I'd hammer out a warning
    I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters all over this land
    ….
    Well I got a hammer and I got a bell
    And I got a song to sing all over this land
    It's the hammer of justice, it's the bell of freedom
    It's a song about love between my brothers and my sisters all over this land
    (Lee Hays / Pete Seeger).

Somehow the lyrics are really appropriate at this moment in our history.

RIP.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 1,637
    40 yrs ago : Dorothy Stratten

Kamala . ugandan giant (James Harris)
    Chaplin Chang (prod manager Way of Dragon , assistant director Enter Dragon)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Japanese legend Tetsuya Watari has passed away, aged 78.

tokyo-drifter-2-nikkatsu-cr.jpg

He was known for such classics as Tokyo Drifter and Outlaw: Gangster VIP

https://variety.com/2020/film/actors/tetsuya-watari-dead-dies-japanese-actor-1234736020/