Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

Today, something funny happened to me. I was about to watch a DVD (Bruce Lee's first movie, The Big Boss). So, I open the box... only to find there's no disc inside. Then I open the boxes of the other Bruce Lee movies, only to discover taht... there's no discs in the boxes either. So, I decide to see if the same is true for other boxes, and... Yes, at least two other boxes have no disc inside. The funny thing is that I remember very well having watched those movies before, when I was living in Coignières. So, there's only one logical conclusion : those discs have been stolen, probably when I moved to Bois d'Arcy, or later on, when I had to have a hole in my toilets plugged (rats were passing through). Of course, now, it's a bit too late, and frankly too much of a hassle to get the police involved, and I've already replaced four of the Bruce Lee DVDs by a Blu-Ray set with a lot of special features, but still, it smarts. Tomorrow, I'll have to check on my collection to see if there's anything else missing.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Never heard before that someone steals DVDs out of the boxes. Why not take the box, too?
    Sounds more like someone wanted to annoy you?!
    No, as a matter of fact, it's quite clever. You'll notice if the boxes were missing. You don't always notice when the discs are. I moved eight years ago, and the rat incident happened some six to seven years ago, and it took me this long to realize they were missing.
    Update on the DVD situation : Well, it's not as bad as I feared. After having checked all my DVDs, only seven are missing : the five Bruce Lee, Pulp Fiction and The Day after Tomorrow. And I have already replaced four of them. So, not too heavy a loss.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That's low. Stealing DVD's? Even if it's no big loss, we're film fans. Such things can easily hold a special emotional value to us. I'm sorry to read that, @Gerard.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 1,637
    Well , a buddy of mine used to borrow out vhs and other stuff , he never got it back , 1000s upon 1000s of krones.....kids took advantage of him and i told him to stop lending out as its mostly trouble
    Can I just say, Internet "James Bond" quizzes are usually frustrating, to say the least.

Sometimes, when I have some computer "waiting" time to kill, I like to play a Bond quiz. Or at least, I used to, because I've had it with those amateur jobs! Usually, the questions are criminally simple... and yet, a true Bond fan fails to score 10 out of 10. Why? Because the makers of many of those quizzes don't know their own stuff.

Example 1: "What was the biggest gap between two Bond film so far?" (Quiz made in 2008)

My answer: 6 years.

"Correct answer": 4 years. There's even an explanation: "Between DAD (2002) and CR (2006)."

Example 2: "How many Bond films were released before QOS? 19, 20, 21, 22 or 23?"

Okay, do we include NSNA? CR67? Define "Bond film". Assuming it's the official ones they're talking about, I say 21.

No, it's 22. So NSNA or CR67 is included, but not both. Gimme a break, quizmaker. Define "Bond film".

Example 3: How many actors have played James Bond so far? (Quiz from 2015.)

My answer: 6

"Correct answer": 8 So... Who else are we counting in? Niven? Nelson? Simmons? Define "actor" and which films we're talking about.

Example 4: How many Bond girls does TB feature?

Whoa, come on! Do we include the French girl? Paula? Pat? Turned out the answer was "2". So Fiona and Domino, I suppose. Define "Bond girl."

I can go on like this. But I'm fed up with these quizzes. They often lack nuance or even basic knowledge.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Can I just say, Internet "James Bond" quizzes are usually frustrating, to say the least.

Sometimes, when I have some computer "waiting" time to kill, I like to play a Bond quiz. Or at least, I used to, because I've had it with those amateur jobs! Usually, the questions are criminally simple... and yet, a true Bond fan fails to score 10 out of 10. Why? Because the makers of many of those quizzes don't know their own stuff.

Example 1: "What was the biggest gap between two Bond film so far?" (Quiz made in 2008)

My answer: 6 years.

"Correct answer": 4 years. There's even an explanation: "Between DAD (2002) and CR (2006)."

Example 2: "How many Bond films were released before QOS? 19, 20, 21, 22 or 23?"

Okay, do we include NSNA? CR67? Define "Bond film". Assuming it's the official ones they're talking about, I say 21.

No, it's 22. So NSNA or CR67 is included, but not both. Gimme a break, quizmaker. Define "Bond film".

"Correct answer": 8 So... Who else are we counting in? Niven? Nelson? Simmons? Define "actor" and which films we're talking about.

Example 4: How many Bond girls does TB feature?

Whoa, come on! Do we include the French girl? Paula? Pat? Turned out the answer was "2". So Fiona and Domino, I suppose. Define "Bond girl."

I can go on like this. But I'm fed up with these quizzes. They often lack nuance or even basic knowledge.

Shocking! Positively shocking!
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,608
    Breaking news: Mysterious deaths of James Bond Quiz originators
    Found dead in bathtubs, electrocuted

Tomorrow's News Today
    marc wrote: »
    Breaking news: Mysterious deaths of James Bond Quiz originators
    Found dead in bathtubs, electrocuted

Tomorrow's News Today

Austin-Powers-Goldmember-Dr-Evil-Pinky-Ring-4.jpg
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Sorry, bad joke of mine. Well, I only know the guy on the photo from hearsay, but might be funny.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Darth, start writing them letters!

I concur with the problem though.

Isn't the answer 1? After all, "Sean Connery is the only real Bond", or so I've heard. (Ugh)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 1,351
    Why, why, why, why do people put such a high value on their own opinions and consequently consider every other opinion to be completely invalid to the point of being impossible?

This has taken root in movies, sports, music, and of course politics.

Why can people not just enjoy what the enjoy, dislike what they dislike and get on with it? Why does everything have to be an all or nothing contest? I am by no means saying people shouldn't voice their opinions, quite the contrary. After all I am writing this in a fan forum that is in large part there for people to do just that. What I am railing against is people being a) incapable of accepting that somebody may have a different opinion and b) seemingly feeling the need to litigate this again and again and again and always to the last point (or rather in a very circular manner).

How did we get to a point where people think it is completely normal to want a full movie to be redone because it didn't turn out the way they wanted it to? How did we get to a point were everyone who doesn't agree with ones personal opinion must have an agenda, must be a shill, licking the establishments boots? "This critic gave 'The Last Jedi' a good review, so they clearly must be afraid of losing access." "This journalist wrote about the allegations against Man City, so they clearly must be a secret Liverpool fan." "This studio hired a black actor so they clearly must be woke social justice warriors who want to destroy western civilisation." "This studio didn't hire a black actor so they clearly must be racist."

Just get over yourselves. People see things differently. Deal with it.

And it always has to be negative. Why the hell do people prefer tearing something down over and over and over again for YEARS instead of just enjoying the things they do like? So a movie in a series you like didn't go the way you wanted to. Maybe just don't watch it? Instead, these knuckleheads spend more time arguing amongst themselves and with everybody who was foolish enough to mention it, than they do enjoying the parts of the series they do like.

Honestly, by far the best part of this forum and the larger Bond community is that even though there are parts of it that people dislike and for different people these dislikes are completely different, I have yet to come across somebody saying "SPECTRE destroyed my childhood. It has made it literally impossible for me to enjoy any of the other Bond movies. If you don't join me in my crusade (let alone profess to liking the movie) you are clearly an idiot with a hidden agenda and a cuck/nazi/imbecile."

And always with the high and mighty tone. Nobody could possibly see things differently. It is only rational to develop a massive hate of something/somebody because of this handful of things I thought weren't good. My opinion is the only POSSIBLE opinion.

Calm down and get on with it.
    @ImpertinentGoon

Well, there's the Internet and its social media. Suddenly, every moron, from your neighbour to the Kardashians, can just throw "it" out there, unfiltered. Every thought that comes to mind, every opinion based on little more than a newspaper headline--or less--can be blasted out in the open. These opinions are not graded as they are in school, nor closely watched by your boss at work. All it takes is a smartphone and 30 seconds of your precious shopping time, and you can type whatever you like; and as long as you don't break their rules, Facebook or Twitter or any other such platform will just "print" it. You don't have to be eloquent, educated, well-informed, nuanced, respectful, ... Anything you type will ride the waves of the Internet.

Consequently, people have lost the art of understanding the limited value of one's own opinion, just as they have lost the art of appreciating another person's opinion. Just check out the comment section on YouTube. Find a video about "evolution vs creationism" and read the comments. You'll have a hard time finding actual science in those comments. It's mostly just "Hey, you, why don't you just **** in your mother's **** and **** in and out **** and you should just **** under **** and **** or else die." (But then without the correct spelling.)

The only people who might be getting in your way are PC/SJW types, who will turn your opinion inside out and attack you at full force if they find even the flimsiest reason to call you a "whatever-ist" because unmasking "bad people" shows well on their 'warrior' resume. These people, too, have lost the art of appreciating someone else's opinion. Because in 2020, an opinion can actually be called "wrong" by a bunch of snowflakes, treehuggers and about half the celebrity community. That, too, has become a serious issue.

Things are getting more extreme. Opinions are becoming extremely stupid, extremely defended but also extremely attacked and extremely analysed with celebrity "policing" of another celeb's opinions even more extreme, and so on. Personally, I wouldn't want a Facebook or Twitter account if one were forced on me with a shotgun to my head. I don't need to know what people are having for lunch, what their cats look like, how often baby said "burp" in the past hour and why your relationship is "complicated". If you're someone I value, someone on my shortlist, we'll talk about those things in private, or via this forum and its PM spaces. But most of all, I don't want to be showered with opinions on Facebook or Twitter. They typically have the intelligence of a dead maggot and also, I generally do . not . care. The latter is something many people fail to grasp. How come I don't care how they feel about Kanye West? Gimme a break.

It's different when it comes to this forum, though. First of all, I actually do value the people here. Secondly, most of them actually type out full sentences and take their time to explain things. Thirdly, we do abide by a couple of rules of conduct, which allow us to keep things civil. Compared to this, Facebook, Twitter, the comment section on YouTube, ... are sewer pits filled with opinionated faeces and other garbage. And that's just my opinion. :)

Bond was right in GE: it's a lost art indeed.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Well, there's the Internet and its social media. Suddenly, every moron, from your neighbour to the Kardashians, can just throw "it" out there, unfiltered.

Well said.
    So the evil empire that is Disney have decided no more physical 4k back catalogue release's. Very short sighted i think. Not everyone has or even wants streaming services. I can live without Disney movies never been a massive Disney fan anyway, but to lose all the potential Fox movies that would benefit from an upgrade is sad news. I was hoping for a Die Hard 2 and 3 4k and an Aliens and Alien 3. And where does this leave Tge Abyss. We know they have done a 4k remaster will it now never see the light of day. Shame on you Disney
    I HATE POP UP ADS !!!!

There, I said it ! Some sites (Radio Times, for example) have become illegible because of them. You want to read an article, but those ads keep popping up, and you have to close them to read what you want to read. And it's even worse on mobile phones.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I HATE POP UP ADS !!!!

There, I said it ! Some sites (Radio Times, for example) have become illegible because of them. You want to read an article, but those ads keep popping up, and you have to close them to read what you want to read. And it's even worse on mobile phones.

https://ublockorigin.com/
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I HATE POP UP ADS !!!!

I would have suggested the same...though sometimes the sites know how to retaliate!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I HATE POP UP ADS !!!!

I abandoned comingsoon and superherohype forever because of those. I even got my pc infected.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,351
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I HATE POP UP ADS !!!!

I would have suggested the same...though sometimes the sites know how to retaliate!

Absolutely. It sometimes makes the site unusable. I use a whole battery of privacy protection add-ons (Privacy Badger, Cookie Auto Delete, Firefox Facebook Container, Decentraleyes) and sometimes it's a bit of a crap shoot which one of these is making any given site act up.
    But on the whole, I think it makes using the internet much more tolarable.
    On a related note, I also hate auto-playing videos.
    mattjoes wrote: »

YES!!

I hate in when you read a newspaper article for example, and a video – or rather the ads before a video – starts playing. very. very. loudly…
    mattjoes wrote: »

+1
    Dear Social Justice Warrior,

We know you hate the world. That's okay; the world hates you too.

We know you're not entirely useless--in fact, your talents are renowned. They include
    • pulling words out of context like a boss;
    • getting triggered into a temper tantrum by the silliest things;
    • misconstruing criticism as "shaming";
    • advocating the blunting of our freedom of speech without realising the consequences.

We know that you're not exactly popular amongst your peers and that you are trying to compensate for that by "making the world a better place" i.e. imposing on others' joy and happiness in a big bad way.

We know that everything we say, write, do and look at will be monitored carefully because you naturally assume everyone but yourself to be pure evil. Obviously, our every word is an aggressive attempt at causing harm to minorities, and we look at women only through the objectifying, sex-obsessed male gaze. A polite "hello" is cruel intimidation waiting to happen, but not looking at you is a form of "fat-shaming".

We know that you live and breathe only to score SJW street cred and so reaching your weakly quota of bad-people-unmaskings is essential to you. You will therefore dig deep and deeper still until you have found the flimsiest reason to vilify someone. Your vile techniques include
    • creative interpretation of what someone said;
    • even more creative interpretation of what someone didn't say;
    • demanding apologies...;
    • ... only to then dismissing said apologies as making matters even worse for reasons no one understands including yourself.

We know that you don't like your body, the lack of interest you're getting from others, your emotional instability and hormonal unbalances. We know that you're envious of everyone else and therefore hate everyone else. Your attempts at being alternative didn't really work out for you, and so being the "voice of reason" became an obsession since you were in your teenage years, a stage from which you are unlikely to ever mature.

We know that you are feeling safe behind your keyboard, protesting pretty much everything. A good day is when normal people have lost yet another one of their basic freedoms, all in the name of equality and social justice.

Point is, dear Social Justice Warrior, that I don't like you either, and with good cause.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 1,637
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

We know you're not entirely useless--in fact, your talents are renowned. They include
    • advocating the blunting of our freedom of speech without realising the consequences.

We know that you're not exactly popular amongst your peers and that you are trying to compensate for that by "making the world a better place" i.e. imposing on others' joy and happiness in a big bad way.

We know that everything we say, write, do and look at will be monitored carefully because you naturally assume everyone but yourself to be pure evil. Obviously, our every word is an aggressive attempt at causing harm to minorities, and we look at women only through the objectifying, sex-obsessed male gaze. A polite "hello" is cruel intimidation waiting to happen, but not looking at you is a form of "fat-shaming".

We know that you live and breathe only to score SJW street cred and so reaching your weakly quota of bad-people-unmaskings is essential to you. You will therefore dig deep and deeper still until you have found the flimsiest reason to vilify someone. Your vile techniques include
    • ... only to then dismissing said apologies as making matters even worse for reasons no one understands including yourself.

We know that you don't like your body, the lack of interest you're getting from others, your emotional instability and hormonal unbalances. We know that you're envious of everyone else and therefore hate everyone else. Your attempts at being alternative didn't really work out for you, and so being the "voice of reason" became an obsession since you were in your teenage years, a stage from which you are unlikely to ever mature.

We know that you are feeling safe behind your keyboard, protesting pretty much everything. A good day is when normal people have lost yet another one of their basic freedoms, all in the name of equality and social justice.

Point is, dear Social Justice Warrior, that I don't like you either, and with good cause.
    ^ This.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    JamesStock wrote: »

^ This.

+2
    Walecs wrote: »
    JamesStock wrote: »

^ This.

+2
    +3