Jaws 45th anniversary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Jaws is my favourite film of all time.

If they want to revisit why not just another film that uses the concept but is an original story.

Why do we have to do another adaptation of Benchley's novel. The original is a masterpiece, untouchable and the rubber shark is irrelevant, this film has endured as long as it has for much more than that.

If they decided to make another film with Jaws in the title but a new idea I'd be much more up for that than trying to update iconic much loved characters like Brody, Quint and Hooper, no one is going to compare with Roy, Robert and Richard.

Also trying to compete with that script and the energy and enthusiasm of a young Spielberg, no chance, not forgetting Williams exceptional incredibly effective score.

It is mine, as well.

I am not sure what would be accomplished with a remake. My guess is that an emphasis on advanced CGI will come at the expense of the characters. Make no mistake: what made Jaws a great film was not the shark, but the human element and ther setting. I doubt another trio of actors could ever recreate the magic that Shaw, Scheider, and Dreyfuss did.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jaws is also one of my all time favorites; I've lost track of how many times that I've watched it. The anniversary edition Blu-ray has some incredible "Making of" and "Restoration " features.

My fascination with the Great White Shark actually began a few years earlier when my parents took me to see the documentary "Blue Water, White Death" I was seven years old and was never the same. A year and a half ago I lived out a lifelong dream and did a cage dive off of Guadalupe Island. What an experience it was to see these majestic creatures in person. And yes, when I first went in and was waiting for my first shark, John Williams' music was playing inside my head, :D

Here are a couple of shots that I took.

s8GLND8.jpg

aXds3Bj.jpg

TripAces wrote: »

If they want to revisit why not just another film that uses the concept but is an original story.

Why do we have to do another adaptation of Benchley's novel. The original is a masterpiece, untouchable and the rubber shark is irrelevant, this film has endured as long as it has for much more than that.

If they decided to make another film with Jaws in the title but a new idea I'd be much more up for that than trying to update iconic much loved characters like Brody, Quint and Hooper, no one is going to compare with Roy, Robert and Richard.

Also trying to compete with that script and the energy and enthusiasm of a young Spielberg, no chance, not forgetting Williams exceptional incredibly effective score.

It is mine, as well.

I am not sure what would be accomplished with a remake. My guess is that an emphasis on advanced CGI will come at the expense of the characters. Make no mistake: what made Jaws a great film was not the shark, but the human element and ther setting. I doubt another trio of actors could ever recreate the magic that Shaw, Scheider, and Dreyfuss did.

Plus in going "back to the book" as the article says it will make it worse.. as Spielberg once said "the issue with the book is all the main characters are unlikeable assholes" and Honestly agree
    Many attempts were made at developing a script for Jaws, including one done by Peter Benchley, who basically handed in the book.
    Eventually Spielberg approach a screenwriter friend, Carl Gottlieb, and instructed him to “ eviscerate it” , meaning get rid of anything that doesn’t propel the story forward.
    Gottlieb was actually given a small role so that he could be on set for revisions.
    Loved this film but it did so the seed of my fear of swimming out of my depth! X_X
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    They perfected it the first time, took a best seller average pot boiler and turned it into a phenomenon.

The book just isn't that great and all the soap opera like Hooper having affair with Brody's Wife got thrown out and for the best.

From the opening moments it never lets up, Blockbusters since have tried to re-create it's magic and very few have got close.

For all the fantastic SFX on display in Jurassic Park it can't hold a candle to Jaws.
    Generally I am not a fan of revising films and special editions, and JAWS is as close to a perfect film as it comes, but, with that said, I would love to see an edition with a photo realistic shark. I wouldn’t want a single shot added or changed, just a realistic shark .
    I know it’s not necessary but I would love to see it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A remake of Jaws will not make its money back!
    Why try to remake one of the most beloved classics of all time. A film as near to perfection that you can get, in every department.
    When has any remake been better than the original? There can't be many.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Generally I am not a fan of revising films and special editions, and JAWS is as close to a perfect film as it comes, but, with that said, I would love to see an edition with a photo realistic shark. I wouldn’t want a single shot added or changed, just a realistic shark .
    I know it’s not necessary but I would love to see it.

I personally wouldn't, it would be so pointless.

Like I said if they wanted to do something with the property then just make a another Jaws film.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been done, new story.

Maybe if they must disregard all the sequels apart from 2 and set it in Amity, might be best to make it with a member of the Brody family in the present day.

They use the Jaws brand but don't sully the original with a remake.

Get a decent director on board with a talented cast and do a different take on the idea if they must.
    Benny wrote: »
    Why try to remake one of the most beloved classics of all time. A film as near to perfection that you can get, in every department.

They should not even consider remaking this all time classic full stop! [-X
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The new one will have female leads. 😏

OMG don't give them ideas?!!!! %-( :))

OMG don't give them ideas?!!!! %-( :))
    Look what it did for Ghostbusters. 😁
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I was watching FRWL and my oldest daughter come home from College and she had a look and remarked that that blond fellow reminded her of Quinn from Jaws, and she was somewhat surprised that it was indeed the same actor but good to know she loves the Jaws movie so much, she has seen it so often.
    @SaintMark, your parenthood is an inspiration :-)!

You mean the shark will be played by Berta instead of Bruce?
    https://www.amazon.com/Jaws-Unmade-Sequels-Prequels-Rip-Offs/dp/B08BDWYLRP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=jaws+3&qid=1595360680&s=books&sr=1-1

I will put this in the horror thread as well i think but

WTF is Jaws Rising (2005

and yes the 2010 period on is remake

I am so buying it because again Jaws the revenge made a profit look it up it made a profit! and yet no Jaws 5...

I mean Don't get me wrong Jaws The Revenge is horrible but the 5th one might of been better
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,131

+1.

I’d like another Jaws sequel. Done well. Taking place in the early 80’s and following the events of Jaws 2.

The first two films were great.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    mattjoes wrote: »

Good one. :)
    Many attempts were made at developing a script for Jaws, including one done by Peter Benchley, who basically handed in the book.

I've got a bit of a tale about that book. I took that book to school when I was about nine or ten, and put it in the class library where kids would leave books they read, so other kids could borrow them. All the other books were kids books, and mine were the only 'grown up' novels. Though they were all film-based. One of the kids, David Dean, started reading it, and got to a bit the that said "fucking a corpse", (I think it was where Brody thinks about the young inexperienced college girls, and thought sex with them was like 'fucking a corpse'). Anyway, he went up the teacher's desk, and actually asked her "Miss, what does 'fucking a corpse mean'. To this day, I don't know if he was being naughty, and he knew what it meant, or if he was genuinely wanting to know. But either way, ask her he did, and she must have been quite surprised to hear it come out a young kid's mouth in the classroom.
    Anyway, she asked the class who bought the book in, I put my hand up, and she asked me to bring her all the books I'd bought in. There were quite a few that weren't suitable, some James Bond. I remember her looking at the end of one of my Bond books, and although not graphic, they often has sex scenes at the end. I thought I was in big trouble.
    She told me to take them back home and sent my parents a letter.
    I've often thought about this, because she really dealt with it well. The letter was complimentary to me, for having an advanced reading age. She also said that I should be encouraged in my 'grown up' reading, but it would be best if I kept the books at home. I didn't get told off by anyone. But I kept my books at home.

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Good story @shamanimal.

And: Jaws is bloody awesome!!!
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 1,637
    Why not remake III , the plot about a shark in amusement park isnt that bad of an idea

They could make prequels and have them set in 70s era , as long as theyre good then i dont care if theyre going retro
    Tracy wrote: »
    Why not remake III , the plot about a shark in amusement park isnt that bad of an idea

They could make prequels and have them set in 70s era , as long as theyre good then i dont care if theyre going retro

A remake of 3, set in ‘85’ is a great call.
    Woman killed by GW in Maine , last time that happened was 1837 (!!!)
    Woman killed by GW in Maine , last time that happened was 1837 (!!!)

But this is a film proposal, not a documentary.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have been looking at reviews for the 4K 45th Anniversary Steelbook earlier, has anyone purchased it? I have the Universal 100th Anniversary remaster of JAWS I am yet to be convinced the new 4K print is that much of an improvement.

When i was trying to develop a fifth jaws film this was my initial idea but was turned down by someone who has connections to Hollywood
    suavejmf wrote: »

+1.

I’d like another Jaws sequel. Done well. Taking place in the early 80’s and following the events of Jaws 2.

The first two films were great.

Correction the first film is a masterpiece, the 2nd one is an adequate sequel that falls considerably short of the original.

There is no comparison, one is the greatest blockbuster of all time, the other isn't even the 2nd best shark film of all time.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    I have been looking at reviews for the 4K 45th Anniversary Steelbook earlier, has anyone purchased it? I have the Universal 100th Anniversary remaster of JAWS I am yet to be convinced the new 4K print is that much of an improvement.

Judge by yourself: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=14173&d2=14171&s1=144626&s2=144588&i=12&l=0
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    JWPepper wrote: »

Judge by yourself: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=14173&d2=14171&s1=144626&s2=144588&i=12&l=0

Cheers I have looked at some comparisons, i just wondered if anyone had watched the new 4K transfer as I am aware it is taken from the same restoration as Jaws Universal 100th Anniversary Collectors Series Bluray.

I will likely get it for the Dolby Atmos.

---

Regarding the JAWS films I only own the first film now for good reason, none of the Sequels are particularly good, I had them all on VHS and DVD years ago. I have occasionally watched JAWS 3D when it has appeared on a streaming service.