And the Klebbie for worst model work in a film....page 137

Comments

Hard one here. I hope thedove doesn't ban me from these, but I will second-guess the choices again and say non-nominee QoS would be my selection. I'm not opposed to the editing choices in QoS overall as many are, but I really think here it's at its worst. It's an example of insert boat chase here in the script without adding to the plot or excitement. We had Bond in a car chase and we need to get him in a plane so let's not forget the boat.

I said in another thread recently the main problem with LALD's boat chase was it's chopped up inserting Pepper and the law, comedy and other things that take away from where the real excitement is and kills the pace, but the stunts are top-notch. MR's two sequences are perfectly in keeping with the anything-goes wackiness of the film as a whole. TMWTGG is kind of unique in that it's in a more enclosed public space and the boats are not made for speed. TWINE's chase is one of the highlights of that film, but like LALD it throws in too many jokes and by-the-numbers moments that detract from the excitement. Mathis1 adds the capper description above.

One note I'll add about what helps LALD, TMWTGG and MR is the music. I like Barry's short take on the LALD theme and Bond theme as Bond gets away at the end of TMWTGG's, and his Bond theme in the Bondola chase and then the reprise of the classic 007 theme in the Amazon chase in MR. Although George Martin's score is used less in LALD, the snatches we hear of it really make a difference and add to the effect, especially at the end of it.

That means Arnold's score that adds what sounds like disco flourishes and electronic music detract in TWINE. So in keeping with being consistent with my least favorite Bond film, I'll go with TWINE as my least favorite boat chase.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    My dear un-cooperative @BT3366 while others may bristle their feathers I appreciate and applaud all who dare to stand up to me and my nominees! LOL!

Seriously I put up what I consider will spark dialogue and get a healthy round of votes. I don't really like the landslide winners I would prefer some votes to all nominees. Sometimes I throw in, or keep out, a worthy nominee to see what reaction I will get. I guess this bird brain enjoys stirring the pot.

We may see QOS show up when we do the list of the best boat chases. :)

Which again reminds me that I am always open to categories for future votes. Next we will head back to the Bondie side of things.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Isn't QoS more of a boat battle than a boat chase? It's not really like these others
    Isn't QoS more of a boat battle than a boat chase? It's not really like these others

Good point, i would concur, its not really a chase!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The far-too-long, artificially constructed, and particularly excessively long PTS boat chase in TWINE takes the (negative) cake for me in this case. Baaawwwwring!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Aren't these the only boat chases?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

The boat chase in FRWL isn't there.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

That's a boat battle😉
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

That's a boat battle😉

I don't think I subscribe to the line of thinking that separates a boat chase from a boat battle. All of the sequences have Bond in a boat of some form being pursued by bad guys who are also in boats of some form. Don't complicate things, fellas. :))
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    If FRWL would count as a chase, then I would give it a Klebbie. The fire in the end is impressive but the rest is boring (nevertheless an awesome movie!).

I like the boat chase in TWINE (even the over-the-top moments), the boat chases in MR aren't amazing but fine for me and I LOVE the boat chase from LALD.

The klebbie should go to TMWTGG. The part with the boy feels odd, the whole scene is without speed and the moment where the boat is cut into halves is more fun in MR.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    First one that I strongly disagree with the noms, nothing personal @thedove I love this game you are managing and greatly appreciate it!

LALD boat chase for me is probably the best action sequence in the entire series and if that's not a good boat chase, I don't know what's a good one!

My nomination would be for FRWL, which is just unnecessary after the Red Grant fight, the helicopter chase, and the later to come Klebbie standoff.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    First one that I strongly disagree with the noms, nothing personal @thedove I love this game you are managing and greatly appreciate it!

LALD boat chase for me is probably the best action sequence in the entire series and if that's not a good boat chase, I don't know what's a good one!

My nomination would be for FRWL, which is just unnecessary after the Red Grant fight, the helicopter chase, and the later to come Klebbie standoff.

An interesting idea, that.
    It is good to see some love for the LALD chase
    I listen to the academy! Love your suggestion @MooseWithFleas I shall get to work on best action sequence in the series. Sequences will be defined by the amount of time to play out on screen and the variety of stunts etc. I can think of a couple of candidates for this category already!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have to go with FRWL; for me it falls flat and is the only weakness in a perfect film.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    talos7 wrote: »
    I have to go with FRWL; for me it falls flat and is the only weakness in a perfect film.

It isn't nominated...otherwise it would also get my vote.

It isn't nominated...otherwise it would also get my vote.

Well it looks like it’s getting several write ins .

If QOS had been nominated, it would have gotten my vote as well, but...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I like the QoS boat scene, but I think there's confusion because it's not a point a to point b chase. I've never found it difficult to follow in the context that Bond is powering around the bay taking out other boats, rather than just trying elude pursuers (or vise versa).
    I like the QoS boat scene, but I think there's confusion because it's not a point a to point b chase. I've never found it difficult to follow in the context that Bond is powering around the bay taking out other boats, rather than just trying elude pursuers (or vise versa).

The end of this sequence, when Bond is heading back to shore, is one of my favorite moments of the Craig era; Arnold’s score is elegant.

The end of this sequence, when Bond is heading back to shore, is one of my favorite moments of the Craig era; Arnold’s score is elegant.

Agreed! Always considered this Camille's theme. I also like the cinematography of the beginning of the sequence, as Bond jumps the bike onto the boat.
    QoS is great.
    TMWTGG - even considering QOS. There's just so much wrong with it.

I'm actually fine with the QOS frantic edits, but I agree with @BT3366 that of the QOS action sequences, this one is the worst and feels like it was inserted for the sake of inserting it.
    Wonderful stuff! I take a gondola to the stage and sing O Sole O Mio and announce that the worst boat chase goes to: Students chase Bond in Thailand from TMWTGG it received 9 votes from the academy. The other votes show the following:
    • Jaws chases Bond in Brazil received 2 votes
    • Bond escapes on the Bayou for a long long time! receiving 5 votes
    • Bond uses a gondola and receives double takes in Venice received 7 votes
    • Cigar girl gets chased by Bond from TWINE received 4 votes
    • Thailand boat chase received 9 votes.

Very interesting category as every nominee received some votes.

Lets turn back to the Bondie side and I thought Sean's Bond had some great first meetings with his leading ladies. Whether it was someone emerging from the ocean with some lovely shells, or sharing cute remarks in Amsterdam. His Bond seemed to have some memorable first meetings with his leading lady. So why not a Sean category. Lets award a Bondie to the best meeting of Bond and the leading lady from the Sean adventures! Here are the nominees:
    • Bond meets Honey and explains that he's just looking and means no harm from DN
    • Tatiana thinks her mouth is too big from FRWL
    • Bond thinks he must be dreaming when he meets Pussy from GF
    • Domino swims like a man and gives Bond a starfish for his effort to save her from TB
    • Bond thinks Tiffany is definitely distinctive and likes the collars and cuffs to match from DAF

Which one is the best meeting of Bond and the leading lady from the Sean movies? You may consider the dialogue, the chemistry of the actors, or the circumstances and place in the move. Time for the academy to vote!
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,609
    QoS, clearly, but since it isn't nominated, I go with TWINE, followed by FRWL.
    EDIT: I guess that was a little too late
    If I don't consider the great action sequences in Third Acts, the LALD boat chase is possibly my favourite one, together with the TLD/FYEO/OHMSS snow chases.

edited July 2020 Posts: 7,527
    Honey, for many reasons, not the least of which because it inspired many more similar moments throughout the franchise.

Nice category and noms, I suspect a couple of them will run away with it!
    FRWL. The eroticism is even stronger than in DN (yes, Honey is in a bikini but Tatiana is under a thin, imagination-provoking bedsheet and has that trousseau). It also builds on a very potent erotic fantasy: returning to your hotel room after a long day to find a undressed beautiful woman waiting for you in bed. And the sequence is equally alluring to the ladies since Bond is in nothing but a towel. For sheer heat you can't beat FRWL.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I vote for

Bond alias "Peter Franks" thinks blond/brunette/redhead Tiffany is definitely distinctive and likes the collars and cuffs to match from DAF

My favorite Bond meets girl scene in the whole series. Tom Mankiewicz's quotable dialogue is terrific in this scene while Connery & St. John share a most playful and delightful chemistry.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No, Bond meets Kissy in their fake marriage in YOLT?
    Bond meets Honey, of course. Iconic.
    FRWL for me. As erotic as it could be on a blockbuster of the era.