Lewis Collins: 007 ,Who Dares Wins & Professionals appreciation/discussion.

edited July 2019 in Actors Posts: 19,339
What is the general perception of how good Lewis Collins would have been as 007,if Sir Roger had hung up his Walther.

What's your thoughts out there ?
To me , he was a missed opportunity.

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well I agree with you barry. He didn't have what it took to command the screen.
    He looked good, but somehow he fell short of being a big screen star
  • Apparently he was too aggressive in his screen test
    Aggressive as a person or the way he portrayed Bond ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Rumour has it that Collins applied to enter into the SAS. But despite passing the entrance tests, but was denied entrance due to his fame.
  • His interpretation of Bond was too aggressive.
  • Actually, according to the man himself, he wanted to play Bond as a more aggressive character - more like Ian Fleming's original character and said so upfront but Cubby Brocolli (spelling?) said he (Mr Collins) was too arrogant. Perish the thought that Bond might be 'arrogant'!
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I'm guessing after having to deal with the prickly personalities of both Connery and Lazenby, Cubby had probably had his fill of arrogant lead actors. Personally though I think with a little coaching Lewis Collins would of made a terrific Bond.
    Quoting saunders: I'm guessing after having to deal with the prickly personalities of both Connery and Lazenby, Cubby had probably had his fill of arrogant lead actors.
    Ahhh, I think you may have stumbled on the real reason Moore was cast as James Bond
    ;-)
  • Yes, but Mr Moore was rather too smooth and polite for Bond don't you think? Connery had that a bit rough round the edges aspect, which probably made him more believable as a bloke doing a tough job and I think given his background Mr Collins would probably have had a similar approach to the role. I think Daniel Craig does it well too, though he just doesn't look like Bond somehow to me. (Sorry, I just don't rate Mr Lazenby as Bond at all. Just my opinion)
    Roger Moore was bloody brilliant in FYEO, everything that Lewis Collings never could have brought to the 007 series.
    I haven´t seen much of Lewis Collins out of The Professionals, where he seemed a bit too one-dimensional to play Bond. One could of course argue that Sir Rog was also one-dimensional, but Collins didn´t have such a strong charisma to make up for it.
    Quoting Mrs_Skellen: Mr Moore was rather too smooth and polite for Bond don't you think? Connery had that a bit rough round the edges aspect, which probably made him more believable as a bloke doing a tough job
    I think any good actor shouldn´t be dependent on his personality off screen to reflect the character he plays. As Sir Ian McKellan says in Extras, ´That´s why it´s called acting´. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting boldfinger: One could of course argue that Sir Rog was also one-dimensional
    Craig's Bond maybe, but Roger Moore? No way.
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: Craig's Bond maybe, but Roger Moore? No way.
    Yes,Roger Moore was one dimensional, and that's not bad about it
    Lewis Collins might have made a decent effort at Bond, but only if he'd had a Terence Young figure to point him in the right direction and add a touch of sophistication. But even if he did the best job he could, I still don't see him being any better than Dalton, who had all the toughness, greater acting ability and was only really let down by the scripts and style of his Bond films.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 820
    Lewis Collins as 007 no problems. I rather have him in 007 role instead of Brosnam or Dalton. He would make good Q if he's still acting. He was to be as head of Ci5 when the series revived in 1998 but he refused with his same character as Brodie which he in late 70's with his partner Martin Shaw who played Doyle. He wasn't approched. That where The Equalizer/Callan late Edward Woodward came in. Martin Shaw & Lewis Collins played villian together in The new Avengers The episode was Obsession. Martin played Joanne Lumely ex fiance Larry & Lewis was playing his bad compliss.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 820
    R.I.P Lewis Collins. He could made a good Bond in the 4th Element instead of Brosnan or Dalton. Sadly I read he passed away. He be never Forgotton
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 19,339
  • i've tried to say before that Collins would of been an interesting choice to play the role, he certainly looked the part if needs be, and as The Professionals was active from 1977-82, he would of fit in well with a Bond picture of the time, I wouldn't of been surprised if fellow actors Martin Shaw (Doyle) and Gordon Jackson (Cowley) wouldn't have played a role in any given picture of the time if he had been selected.

It's all rather a case of what might have been unfortunately
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I wouldn't of been surprised if fellow actors Martin Shaw wouldn't have played a role in any given picture of the time if he had been selected.
    Shaw was talked to between Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only but wasn't interested.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=8919&catid=4&t==&s=main
  • heh, can you imagine Agent James Bond 007 with a bubble perm? :-))

Still, I think Shaw was a bit of a balloon for turning down such an opportunity, all he had to do was get his hair cut, you'd think most men would give their right arm at a chance of playing Bond.

still, I respect his decision.

I think it was a good thing that Shaw turned it down if that's the case,i dont think he was right to play Bond.
    Talking about Brolin...thoughts on Collins ?
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Rumour has it that Collins applied to enter into the SAS. But despite passing the entrance tests, but was denied entrance due to his fame.

Collins was a member of 10 PARA, training for that unit while filming early episodes of the Professionals (he had taken that role from Anthony Andrews BTW). He only did the initial selection for the TA SAS - which anyone can turn up off the street and do - but went no further.

To me he always looked as if he was as capable in real life as when acting the part of Bodie, however I never thought him 'smooth' enough to take the 007 role. that said and as another poster mentioned, I would have preferred him over Brosnan.

• gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I think he would have been suited for the role but I suspect he might have been contractually tied down with ITV's The Professionals when FYEO was in production. In saying that, a Brosnan-Remington Steele type standoff would be less likely with ITV, who had the rights to screen Bond films in the UK and would have been easier for EON to deal with. Anyway, he would have been available for OP. He appeared in 1988 TV mini-series Jack the Ripper (opposite Michael Caine) and he certainly still looked the part. So he could have been Bond for the whole of the 1980s. I think he would have certainly been a better choice than a 55-57 year old for OP and AVTAK and he would have brought more humour and less theatrics to TLD and LTK. A missed opportunity.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I think he lacked the suave persona for Bond. He also had dodgy hair!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I'm a huge fan of Lewis Collins, he is probably my number one guilty pleasure actor.

Incidentally I just received the complete Blu-ray Box of THE PROFESSIONALS with 4 Books! and tons of special features. Not to mention the complete restored and incredibly beautifully remastered episodes in High Definition!!

Also I own his three cult movies from the eighties, which are a must-see for lovers of 80's action cheese (looking at you @chrisisall )

Let me show you a couple of pictures: but first @barryt007 : you really do have the very best threads on this forum, I think I need to check out all your older ones, I'm sure there are some gems to be found that should be resurrected :)

The Professionals: Blu-ray box
    Brand new high definition restorations from the camera-original negatives
    Brand new 5.1 tracks from original sound elements
    Remastered original as-broadcast mono tracks
    Remastered music-only tracks featuring Laurie Johnson’s original scores
    HD photo galleries featuring hundreds of rare and previously unseen images
    Reinstated original main and end titles
    Exclusive book and programme notes authored by TV historian Andrew Pixley which documents the complete history of the production of these first thirteen episodes
    ‘Without Walls’ documentary from 1996 featuring interviews with the creative driving force behind the series
    PDF material featuring scripts, rare paperwork
    Footage archive featuring additional material, raw titles, advert break bumpers and more
    English HOH subtitles

full.jpg

full.jpg
    full.jpg
    full.jpg

Lewis Collins three cult action flicks: Codename Wildgeese, The Commander and Commando Leopard
    full.jpg
    full.jpg
    full.jpg

Personally I am completely happy how the franchise unfolded concerning the actors. Even Craig is ok for me, although that's the weakest link.

Having said this, Lewis Collins would have been fantastic as the 80's Bond.
    He could have easily made OP to LTK.
    I would have liked to see that, but then there wouldn't be a Dalton Bond of course.
    Nonetheless, Collins was a good opportunity but sadly Cubby's first impression of Collins was not very good as has been reported.

A shame he didn't get a second chance. Of all the rumoured actors for playing Bond Lewis Collins certainly was the very best that never came to be.
    Geheime code Wildganse you get as an extra if you buy the Arrow version of Wild geese on bluray, this movie gives the term B-movie a bad name, it is really more like a Z-film and Lewis Collins looks like shit as well in this movie.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,053
    @BondJasonBond006 I'll let you into a little secret - LC is part inspiration for the main character of my book.

I also met Martin Shaw once during the height of The Professionals hysteria.

My favourite episode - the one where they were supposedly protecting an Arab diplomat who had a bodyguard called 'tinkerbell'. Collins at his best.

Also you may care to look out for an episode of the New Avengers which features Shaw and Collins paired up for the first time - it was from this that (I think) Collins got the gig from Andrews.

Also Have a look on you tube for a British sitcom called The Cuckoo Waltz starring a pre Bodie Collins. In fact I've put a link here. I hope you are able to view it outside the UK.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I loved Collins in The Professionals. I'm not surprised he was deemed too aggressive in his screentest. He does come across like a bull in a china shop. A bit thuggish. He always reminded me a little of an English Burt Reynolds. I also found his acting a bit affected. Good enough for Bodie, but perhaps not quite good enough for Bond imho.

Perhaps he could have cleaned up and smoothed out his act. After all, Craig seems to have done it, so anything is possible.

All in all, I'm glad he didn't get the part though.

The one actor who didn't get it who I think could have been a cracking Bond is Jason Isaacs.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 19,339
    but first @barryt007 : you really do have the very best threads on this forum, I think I need to check out all your older ones, I'm sure there are some gems to be found that should be resurrected :)

Wow thats a lovely thing to say mate,thanks for that...i've had a great day with my girlfriend and then that comment.
    And,if you look hard enough there are indeed some that i thought about bringing back but havent yet..i think there are about 41 including the Brolin and Collins threads Jason...

And IMO Collins is as close to Bond in the SAS siege film 'Who Dares Wins'....a brilliant tough performance,and one of my all-time favourite films..

Such a shame he is dead at such a young age as well.
    (Oh and i have every single Professionals on DVD as well ! )