Blofeld's (and Bond's) age in SPECTRE (spoiler)

zerozerozerozero The far far east
in SPECTRE Posts: 58
One thing that has bugged the hell out of me with regard to SPECTRE is the bit about Blofeld having murdered his father and changed his name "twenty years ago". The Blofeld we see in the film is clearly in his 50s, but if he was a youth (as shown in the press clipping of Frans Oberhauser) then two decades on top of his age, even if he was 18, would make him only 38 maximum.

I had always understood that Bond was about eight or ten when he was orphaned. He had "two winters" with the Oberhausers and I'm assuming these were consecutive, so again, 20 years on that makes him max. 30 in this film and Craig is clearly much older than that.

Have I missed something?

===

(Incidentally, I have searched on here for any threads covering this topic, but couldn't find any. If it's a duplicate, then mods feel free and merge this)

Comments

Maybe Ersnt murdered his dad many years after Bond had moved on.
    As neither Bond nor Blofeld's age is established in the movie, there is wiggle room here I think
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    Well I did look at it from that angle, but found it a difficult to reconcile that Blofeld would wait until he was in his thirties to exact murderous revenge on his dad for something that happened when he was a kid.

As Blofeld himself observed, "most odd".
  • GBFGBF
    I also had the impression that both, Blofeld and Bond are supposed to be almost of the same age. Maybe Bofeld is in his late 40s, Bond in his mid 40s. Bon stayed at the Oberhausers maybe 35 years ago and Oberhauser killed his father when he was in his late 20s, 15 years after Bond has left. I think his anger towards his dad and Bond had grown over the year.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,586
    According to one of the earlier drafts, Oberhauser/Blofeld joined "Les Spectres de St. Pierre," a battalion of the French Foreign Legion. While in Morocco in the early 1990s, a sandstorm occurred leaving him and fellow platoon member Mr. White stranded and left for dead. Blofeld kills the remaining survivors and he along with White form the organization. Perhaps he had waited over a decade to obtain the resources necessary to kill his father and create a new identity for himself, since Hannes was killed around 1995 and Franz's body unaccounted for. I really with they had kept the interesting backstory.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    Both of the above are very interesting, especially that early draft!

You're right, the kind of mind that could conceive of a global villainous organisation would take a few years to stew over the details and planning etc.

And of course, SPECTRE's name indicates a predeliction for revenge.

Good points. Thank you. I wish they had enriched the script a bit more with these ideas.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And now Blofeld s age is even more confusing.
    To add more confusion, isn't Blofeld's year of birth listed as 1946 in some computer that shows up on screen? And Craig-Bond's own year of birth has ranged from 1968 to 1971... The writers can't be trusted with basic biographical details! ))
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    zerozero wrote: »
    One thing that has bugged the hell out of me with regard to SPECTRE is the bit about Blofeld having murdered his father and changed his name "twenty years ago". The Blofeld we see in the film is clearly in his 50s, but if he was a youth (as shown in the press clipping of Frans Oberhauser) then two decades on top of his age, even if he was 18, would make him only 38 maximum.

I had always understood that Bond was about eight or ten when he was orphaned. He had "two winters" with the Oberhausers and I'm assuming these were consecutive, so again, 20 years on that makes him max. 30 in this film and Craig is clearly much older than that.

Have I missed something?

===

(Incidentally, I have searched on here for any threads covering this topic, but couldn't find any. If it's a duplicate, then mods feel free and merge this)

Bond stayed with the Oberhausers for two years, from 1983 to 1985. The photo shows Blofeld being much older than little James, so I assume he was at least in his late teens or early 20s. Then by 1995 he would have been in his late 20s early 30s, which is when he killed his father. Cut to the present in SP and he’s presumably in his late 40s or early 50s.

As for the computer graphic in NTTD trailer, I assume that was an error that could be fixed for the final cut. After all, that’s a decade older than even Watlz’s actual age, so I think they just goofed on that.