Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 15,785
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Funny thing is, American actors who EON were seriously looking at for the role of James Bond like---Adam West, Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds all said the role must be British....I wonder if we had more Honest actors back then, LOL.

When those actors were considered, there weren't that many previously established Bonds to compare to: Connery-Scottish, and Lazenby- Australian. An American Bond actor at that time probably wasn't as out of the realm of possibility as now.
    I really do feel if Eon were to sell Bond and another producer get the rights, an American actor could be cast.
    I tend to think the role might go to either a current popular actor, or a high profile Oscar winner, regardless of their arguable Bondian qualities.
    Somebody popular the way Val Kilmer was prolific in the '80's and '90's.
    Perhaps a non conventional casting akin to Nicholas Cage's lost Superman project?
    A Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, John Travolta, or Robert Downey Jr equivalent for the 2030's or whenever that would happen.
    Personally I think after say, a 20 year gap, audiences might embrace a Tom Hanks type Bond they way Downey was popular as Holmes, providing that actor had been in recently successful films.

I don't think I'd be as excited, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,861
    suavejmf wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    The only American I would've ever accepted as James Bond would've been Joaquin Phoenix if he was a decade and a half younger.

That lad can pop off. He is dark, handsome, looks like he keeps a million secrets, and a menacing look behind those cold, gray eyes. Perfect physically for Bond.

He even has a scar on his lips!

In fact, I was even shocked that he was American because for the longest time I only knew him from Gladiator where he was very convincing as Roman royalty.

livekindly_joaquin_phoenix_vegan-1068x601.jpg

Interesting; I'd not really considered him, but yeah, I could see that working.

I like imagining these sort of could-have-been universes. I used to think Sam Neill was obviously wrong for it, but I think he could have given a very interesting Bond.

Oh, there's yet another non-Brit with a convincing accent for you @suavejmf: Sam Neill.

Ooooh no. I’m not having that one. Sam Neill’s faux English accent was very contrived (trying so hard to be overtly posh) along with his ‘limp wristed’ Bond audition. I can see why Cubby said ‘no’. It’s not the worst accent attempt, but not great either. Albeit, I admit it isn’t a long clip.

It may be convincing to you, fair enough, which I accept. But not to me as an Englishman.

Saying that, Sam Neill’s audition was brilliant, when compared with James Brolin’s, who actually played Bond with an American accent. “Figs and Yo-Gutttt”. Truly horrifying. Now that truly is the other end of the spectrum. An American actor who made absolutely no effort to attempt an English accent as Bond.

If you haven't watched Reilly Ace of Spies I don't think you can judge. As an Englishman (actually from the bit of the world he was doing the accent of, unlike Harrogate) I can tell you he did a great job.

I’ve seen his Bond Audition and I thought it was poor. I can judge as I see fit. But you can tell me in ‘your opinion’ that he did a good job. Sure.

What’s Harrogate got to do with anything? Random and irrelevant. But I have family and friends from across the UK if that’s what you mean.

You might be an expert on a Yorkshire accent, but I listen to the accent he replicates pretty much perfectly in 'Reilly' every single day. It might not work for you 'in your opinion' which I accept, but as an Englishman actually from the south, it's very convincing to me.
    It’s accent ‘from’, not ‘of’ by the way. Pedantic, I know. But we are discussing the subject of recognising the Queens ‘English’ after all.

Grammar and accents are two totally different subjects. We haven't been discussing grammar, no. Personally I'd say that someone 'having the accent of a Icelander' is a perfectly acceptable use of the word, but you can disagree, even though you'd be wrong. I don't think it's hugely polite and respectful to attempt to pick apart others' grammar in an attempt at points-scoring, especially when we all know it's being dashed out quickly on here, but again you're free to disagree.
    talos7 wrote: »

I wonder if Cavill is out aging himself considering Superman is often depicted to be around 30? By the time another solo Superman film hit screens, he'd be closer to 40.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »

Seems odd they feel they'd have to build momentum to get any interest in Superman, doesn't it? If they were talking about some very obscure comic book character from the 50's that might make more sense, but he's the most famous of all them all. And Marvel didn't seem to feel the need to build momentum in their obscure characters. Very strange.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    The only American I would've ever accepted as James Bond would've been Joaquin Phoenix if he was a decade and a half younger.

That lad can pop off. He is dark, handsome, looks like he keeps a million secrets, and a menacing look behind those cold, gray eyes. Perfect physically for Bond.

In fact, I was even shocked that he was American because for the longest time I only knew him from Gladiator where he was very convincing as Roman royalty.

I like imagining these sort of could-have-been universes. I used to think Sam Neill was obviously wrong for it, but I think he could have given a very interesting Bond.

Oh, there's yet another non-Brit with a convincing accent for you @suavejmf: Sam Neill.

Ooooh no. I’m not having that one. Sam Neill’s faux English accent was very contrived (trying so hard to be overtly posh) along with his ‘limp wristed’ Bond audition. I can see why Cubby said ‘no’. It’s not the worst accent attempt, but not great either. Albeit, I admit it isn’t a long clip.

It may be convincing to you, fair enough, which I accept. But not to me as an Englishman.

Saying that, Sam Neill’s audition was brilliant, when compared with James Brolin’s, who actually played Bond with an American accent. “Figs and Yo-Gutttt”. Truly horrifying. Now that truly is the other end of the spectrum. An American actor who made absolutely no effort to attempt an English accent as Bond.

If you haven't watched Reilly Ace of Spies I don't think you can judge. As an Englishman (actually from the bit of the world he was doing the accent of, unlike Harrogate) I can tell you he did a great job.

I’ve seen his Bond Audition and I thought it was poor. I can judge as I see fit. But you can tell me in ‘your opinion’ that he did a good job. Sure.

What’s Harrogate got to do with anything? Random and irrelevant. But I have family and friends from across the UK if that’s what you mean.

You might be an expert on a Yorkshire accent, but I listen to the accent he replicates pretty much perfectly in 'Reilly' every single day. It might not work for you 'in your opinion' which I accept, but as an Englishman actually from the south, it's very convincing to me.
    It’s accent ‘from’, not ‘of’ by the way. Pedantic, I know. But we are discussing the subject of recognising the Queens ‘English’ after all.

Grammar and accents are two totally different subjects. We haven't been discussing grammar, no. Personally I'd say that someone 'having the accent of a Icelander' is a perfectly acceptable use of the word, but you can disagree, even though you'd be wrong. I don't think it's hugely polite and respectful to attempt to pick apart others' grammar in an attempt at points-scoring, especially when we all know it's being dashed out quickly on here, but again you're free to disagree.

That would be ‘Having the accent of ‘an’ Icelander’, not ‘a’. So wrong again I’m afraid.

I am correct on my previous point too.

You love picking apart others posts. Indeed you seem to thrive upon it as @Univex and others will no doubt testify.

Grammar is important on this site as it’s a written medium. Especially, for Yorkshire folk like myself, so you can understand us.

Being from the South doesn’t make one more expert on so called ‘posher’ English accent’s at all.

Univex wrote: »

It’s accent ‘from’, not ‘of’ by the way.

You're from Harrogate, @suavejmf? You lucky sod. It's supposed to be lovely there. I've only seen pictures and I know of the spa scene, with all the mineral springs. Very lovely place. One of Britain's happiest towns, right? Hope everything is good and well there, and with you and your family. Good call on the "from", btw ;)

Yes my friend. So called ‘posh Yorkshire’ born and bred. There is indeed a Royal Baths. You too.

Allegedly one of the most affluent towns in them North.

Never been a Bond candidate from here as yet!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Gonna throw these guys back into discussion for anyone interested. Ben Aldridge and Sean Teale. Teale will probably need more time, being the youngest at 27, whereas Aldridge could probably do it tomorrow Both British, both tall, both handsome, and both have good voices.

MV5BMDJmODZiM2QtZTZmYS00YmY0LTgzYjUtNmZiNzRmMmQ3MGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkzNzM4NDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
    MV5BMWY4ODJjYTMtZDJkMC00NjZlLWJkM2MtZWI0ZWFiN2FiNGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Of the two, I like the second. The first comes across a bit boring for my taste, Teale looks like he’s got an edge.

In the restaurant industry I’ve probably met too many people that look like the first guy and are just meatheads :P
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Haha I feel you @NickTwentyTwo, maybe Aldridge can be 008 who is killed on a mission and Teale’s 007 has to investigate haha :D
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Gonna throw these guys back into discussion for anyone interested. Ben Aldridge and Sean Teale. Teale will probably need more time, being the youngest at 27, whereas Aldridge could probably do it tomorrow Both British, both tall, both handsome, and both have good voices.

MV5BMDJmODZiM2QtZTZmYS00YmY0LTgzYjUtNmZiNzRmMmQ3MGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkzNzM4NDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
    MV5BMWY4ODJjYTMtZDJkMC00NjZlLWJkM2MtZWI0ZWFiN2FiNGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

They both look good, but can they act?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ludovico wrote: »

They both look good, but can they act?
    I think so. Neither of them have had breakout roles, and they’re not exactly actors most people would know, but from what I’ve seen of them both, I think they have the chops. Aldridge in shows like Our Girl and appeared in some episodes of Fleabag. I first saw Teale in Skins, which is never the best place to admire people’s acting haha, but he’s been in some other shows like Reign and The Gifted. Both currently more rooted in television, which could work in their favour or not.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Haha I feel you @NickTwentyTwo, maybe Aldridge can be 008 who is killed on a mission and Teale’s 007 has to investigate haha :D

Yes! I could see him as a Ronson or a Carter too.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I think Aldridge is handsome, but kind of blandly handsome, if that makes sense. I only remember him from the pilot episode of Pennyworth, and he didn't make much impact. Looking at his filmography, he needs a role that will get him noticed (and better yet, critically acclaimed), and so far as I can see he hasn't had that yet. At the moment I think he fits the basic criteria without standing out in any way. He needs a stand-out role in something to put him on the radar, imo.

Teale I really like from interviews, and he's got a more distinctive look than Aldridge to my eyes, so that puts him ahead if we're just talking about those two. In The Gifted his character was a bit dull and he wasn't able to lift it; I think with his natural accent and a better haircut he'd have fared better, but we'll never know. At the moment I think he needs a good role in a prestige drama. Also, you're picking professionally staged photos to make your case for Teale, where he is specially lit to make him look more handsome, and, I have to say, more white, rather than screencaps from things he's done. I don't think you need to do this. He does have a good face, and he definitely has a resemblance to Sean Connery.
    0i8MPX4.jpg5GofNkG.jpg
    I have slightly mixed feelings about a non-white Bond, feeling on the one hand that changing the race of an iconic hero is fraught with problems, but on the other really not wanting to end up at a cinema to see the next Bond film, only to be surrounded by white supremacists... it's all just awkward all round. But I do find that Connery look appealing, and I think he comes across very well in interviews. He absolutely needs a critically acclaimed role, or something to put him into the British public's consciousness like Sherlock did with Cumberbatch, or Doctor Who did with several actors, if he's to be the first non-white actor to play Bond, imo.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Some fair comments there @sandbagger1, although I wouldn’t say I was picking specific photos for any particular reason, especially not that for sure, it’s his IMDB picture and I’ve mentioned his mixed heritage before... his casting would just reflect the world we’re living in, especially the Britain we’re living in - to me anyway...

...either way you’re right, he does need a role that’s gonna push that bit further to where he probably needs to be if he wants to get EON’s attention. He’s definitely got the time haha :)
    Yes, he is one of the youngest. I think he's helped by looking quite mature for his age. If he's sticking to US TV (I don't know where he's based, but I'm guessing the US), there are some top-quality shows being made - there are arguably more quality roles on TV now than ever before.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    All the photos of him from Incorporated really do make it difficult to not see potential haha :D
    Teale does look quite Asian on some pictures, but not so much in others. Kind of like my brother in law actually, who does not have an inch of Asian blood. If he can act and has the right baritone voice, he might be suitable in a few years.
    That Connery look is a major asset, imo. It reminds me of Adrian Paul, who I always suspected of getting the Highlander:The Series lead because of his resemblance to Connery.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Teale does look quite Asian on some pictures, but not so much in others. Kind of like my brother in law actually, who does not have an inch of Asian blood. If he can act and has the right baritone voice, he might be suitable in a few years.
    Hmm interesting. Well he grew up in Putney, London, and he’s got Venezuelan, Spanish and Welsh origins. Also here’s an interview for his real voice.

And hahaha I forgot about Adrian Paul @sandbagger1 :D He always reminded me more of Segal lol
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That Connery look is a major asset, imo. It reminds me of Adrian Paul, who I always suspected of getting the Highlander:The Series lead because of his resemblance to Connery.

I’m a big fan of the Highlander series and always saw Paul’s resemblance to Connery .
    While he was an adequate actor, he was never above average; he did though have a natural charm that suited Duncan.
    Great look, average acting skills, sounds like a certain Man of Steel. 😉
    Was Paul ever considering? I’ve read rumors that he did a screentest.

edited June 2020 Posts: 686
    I don't know. He was an average actor (and seemed really quite dull next to Peter Wingfield's Methos), but he had some very decent martial arts skills which really helped sell the role. I remember Jason Isaacs turning up in an early episode, too, and there is an actor who just seems to get better and better. If you've seen him in The OA (barking mad series, now cancelled) you'll know Isaacs can play very complex characters that have you riveted to the screen.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Jason Isaacs would make a good future villain or even M.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Jason Isaacs would make a good future villain or even M.

True, I can see him doing both comfortably....and since he like playing Military Superiors, M would easily work....a sort of return to the stern Bernard Lee style.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think Aldridge is handsome, but kind of blandly handsome, if that makes sense. I only remember him from the pilot episode of Pennyworth, and he didn't make much impact. Looking at his filmography, he needs a role that will get him noticed (and better yet, critically acclaimed), and so far as I can see he hasn't had that yet. At the moment I think he fits the basic criteria without standing out in any way. He needs a stand-out role in something to put him on the radar, imo.

Teale I really like from interviews, and he's got a more distinctive look than Aldridge to my eyes, so that puts him ahead if we're just talking about those two. In The Gifted his character was a bit dull and he wasn't able to lift it; I think with his natural accent and a better haircut he'd have fared better, but we'll never know. At the moment I think he needs a good role in a prestige drama. Also, you're picking professionally staged photos to make your case for Teale, where he is specially lit to make him look more handsome, and, I have to say, more white, rather than screencaps from things he's done. I don't think you need to do this. He does have a good face, and he definitely has a resemblance to Sean Connery.
    0i8MPX4.jpg5GofNkG.jpg
    I have slightly mixed feelings about a non-white Bond, feeling on the one hand that changing the race of an iconic hero is fraught with problems, but on the other really not wanting to end up at a cinema to see the next Bond film, only to be surrounded by white supremacists... it's all just awkward all round. But I do find that Connery look appealing, and I think he comes across very well in interviews. He absolutely needs a critically acclaimed role, or something to put him into the British public's consciousness like Sherlock did with Cumberbatch, or Doctor Who did with several actors, if he's to be the first non-white actor to play Bond, imo.

So true. I hate watching Bond in the cinema, due to all the nazis that are always attending.
    Hmm interesting. Well he grew up in Putney, London, and he’s got Venezuelan, Spanish and Welsh origins. Also here’s an interview for his real voice.

And hahaha I forgot about Adrian Paul @sandbagger1 :D He always reminded me more of Segal lol

Not certain about his voice, a tad high for me, but then he is quite young still. He does look Asian or Mediterranean, at least sometimes. I would not be averse to an actor with mixed blood playing Bond, as long as he's British, looks the part and of course can act.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

0i8MPX4.jpg5GofNkG.jpg

Wow! Where do you attend the Cinema?

Are you really suggesting that wanting to keep the Bond character in line with tradition is comparable with the KKK and Nazi views? Surely not, as that would be extreme.
    Too old now, but Ioan Gruffudd May have made a good Bond. Certainly worth a screen test.
    Too old now, but Ioan Gruffudd May have made a good Bond. Certainly worth a screen test.

I am pretty sure he was tested in 2005. One who should tick a lot of boxes but for some reason doesn't for me.
    I think Neill would've been a Brosnan-type Bond... an attempt to be a "greatest hits" mix of Connery and Moore. Some about his look and voice also remind me of Brozza. Not sure if he would've been as good at the pain face though.