No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Shardlake wrote: »
    I really don't think anything could be as ridiculous as DAD

Of course not. Near impossible, that.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    ...or woeful as SPECTRE.

I don't know... too close, too soon... I really don't know.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    peter wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Die Another Day's plot is suddenly sounding not so bad in light of these new developments. ;)

@Murdock -- we have a better Bond (in some opinions), better writers once PWB, CF and Scott Burns took over on NTTD, and certainly a better director in CF (I liked Once Were Warriors, but, in my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to True Detective, Beasts of No Nation, Jane Eyre, Sin Nombre...).....

Ok.
    220px-Shrug.jpg
  • peter wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Die Another Day's plot is suddenly sounding not so bad in light of these new developments. ;)

@Murdock -- we have a better Bond (in some opinions), better writers once PWB, CF and Scott Burns took over on NTTD, and certainly a better director in CF (I liked Once Were Warriors, but, in my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to True Detective, Beasts of No Nation, Jane Eyre, Sin Nombre...).....

giphy.gif
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I get PB is your favourite. I get it. I respect that. I've said time and again, I wish he meant more to me for his characterization of Bond.

I watched his Goldeneye re-watch and said nothing but positives for the man. Most-- that's most, not all-- things I've said about PB has been complimentary.

However, I don't buy most of his performances. In most of his films.

It's just my personal taste @Murdock and @Beast_Daniel_Craig ... No intent to insult.

P
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    The rumors I've heard are interesting. Honestly, this is what I was dreading ever since Daniel was coming back and that Spectre was a continuation. As someone who didn't want Craig to come back, at least we're trying to resolve the wrongs of SP and I hope they make a great film.

That being said, it seems they decided to knock the dial to 10 instead of scaling things back. This film is either going to be really good or really bad. I hope the former.

Also, Maddie being a 00 agent suddenly makes a lot of sense (if true). The scene where Bond looks at her at MI6 makes complete sense now.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Remember the hook in the trailers:

The 25th Film. Will change. Everything.

Yep.

I like it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,518
    "I've always accepted death as the likely end to my profession."
    "You have a daughter now, James. You have no time to die anymore."
  • peter wrote: »
    I get PB is your favourite. I get it. I respect that. I've said time and again, I wish he meant more to me for his characterization of Bond.

I watched his Goldeneye re-watch and said nothing but positives for the man. Most-- that's most, not all-- things I've said about PB has been complimentary.

However, I don't buy most of his performances. In most of his films.

It's just my personal taste @Murdock and @Beast_Daniel_Craig ... No intent to insult.

P

That's cool, I can understand that and we all have opinions. I don't buy Craig's performance as Jason Bourne either.
    TripAces wrote: »

Yep.

I like it.

When Eon try to do something different (like radically different) it never works - going down the CGI/digital route in DAD, brothergate in SP, I was worried when Naomie Harris said that there are things in NTTD that will shock people - that can only go 2 ways -either what they've done that is shocking will be brilliant and a stroke of genius or it will be horrendous. If it's the latter they've really messed up the end of the run of a really good Bond.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 440

Yep.

I like it.

When Eon try to do something different (like radically different) it never works - going down the CGI/digital route in DAD, brothergate in SP, I was worried when Naomie Harris said that there are things in NTTD that will shock people - that can only go 2 ways -either what they've done that is shocking will be brilliant and a stroke of genius or it will be horrendous. If it's the latter they've really messed up the end of the run of a really good Bond.

Yeah, it has literally never worked. Like that time they hired that pretty boy Daniel Craig to play James Bond! In a rebooted origin story! What on earth were they thinking? :)

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Based on the new reveals, on paper NTTD is beginning to look worrisome....but at the end of the day, it's all about execution....and Boy! The Bond franchise is in need of all its wit than ever. Coz at the moment, a lot of fans won't buy these ideas....The execution has to be extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, Top-notch, to stand a chance of being accepted by fans & of course, Critics.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Honestly I really like the idea of this. This film seems to be doing alot of new things (too much can be debatable after film is out) but I open to this stuff along with what spoilers are out there especially the ending.
    I really love the idea of bond having a daughter and possibly dying at the end it really does add more to the ling of it will be the death of you. It would be cool if as she is telling the story to their daughter bonds shadow appears in front of them and she smiles ques bond theme.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Garth007 wrote: »
    Honestly I really like the idea of this. This film seems to be doing alot of new things (too much can be debatable after film is out) but I open to this stuff along with what spoilers are out there especially the ending.
    I really love the idea of bond having a daughter and possibly dying at the end it really does add more to the ling of it will be the death of you. It would be cool if as she is telling the story to their daughter bonds shadow appears in front of them and she smiles ques bond theme.

2gz724.jpg
    Re: the latest spoilers and report from Daily Mail, I'm not surprised they have channelled elements and ideas from the novel, YOLT. I'm all for it.
    I thought about this rumor for a long while. Here are my two cents (spoiler-tagged just in case):
    Depending on the execution, this could be one of the best or worst things to bring to a Bond film. Potentially, it could be one of the most fascinating and dramatic elements in a Bond film ever. Involving a child/children in a major way in action films is kind of an iffy thing for me, but there with the right direction, this could be something really interesting and special. Bond having a child is still in Fleming territory, as we know from the end of the YOLT novel. Bond has spent his life having a LOT of sex, and for the first time he could face a serious consequence of that lifestyle. I can't help but find that intriguing.

I hope they do this right and it isn't the only YOLT novel element to make it. I'm hoping they also tackle the amnesiac Bond + suspected death to everyone else, but the audience knows he lives. I'd also love to see Bond strangle Safin to death the way he offs Blofeld in the YOLT novel. It would be very dramatic, gritty, and feel so full circle with Bond's first kill in CR. It's so unfortunate we have to keep waiting so long for NTTD, but my interest and hype remains!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    People do realise this spoiler has been the topic of discussion these past few pages here, and it is a clearly marked spoiler allowed thread! Though the thread title should change to Major Spoilers Allowed...

Personally I’ve thrown in the spoiler towel well and good with the delay but yeah I’m uneasy with this being picked up as an actual news story following MI6HQ - Radio Times, CinemaBlend, now the Mail... Kinda dickish imo, then again so is the leaking of all these call sheets anyway,

Agreed-- topic of discussion is one thing on a fan forum. But the selling of the call sheets and this article is abhorrent. The people involved are in direct violation of their NDA.

I hope EoN sues their asses. I'm more than uneasy with this--

It's creepy.

It stinks of greed.

And it truly is handicapping a film months before it comes out. This IS the big reveal. This IS the
    "when her secret gets out, it will be the death of you"

It's disgusting.

Why would
    having a child be his death, though? Isn't that a positive thing?

@Walecs --
    if your child was endangered, as obviously this child will be-- you will do everything to save that child, including sacrificing yourself.
    I know the feeling well as all parents do.
    I see, so that means their daughter has been kidnapped. Makes sense.
    Why is Bond in Jamaica, are they already seperated?!

Yep.

I like it.

Yeah, it has literally never worked. Like that time they hired that pretty boy Daniel Craig to play James Bond! In a rebooted origin story! What on earth were they thinking? :)

I was thinking more of writing and plotting - casting Craig was a stroke of genius, unfortunately some of the writing hasn't been that good (some has) which has but a damper of his excellent run as Bond.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Another call sheet leaks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/James-Bond-007-NO-TIME-TO-DIE-cast-a-crew-prop-call-sheet/143624845729?hash=item2170b539a1:g:qfQAAOSwykde27En
    Confirming Vesper's grave, that those attacking Bond in the PTS are Spectre agents...and 'Madeleine has a vision of Safin' in that Lake of Poetry scene, almost confirming the direct link/sequencing between that scene and the Norway lake/cabin one

Under bridge.

Just sayin'. :))
    How It s possibile that bond Just dies.. in a movie that Is literally called no time to die..? !? Confused:
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

I kinda love this dialogue...I hope something like this appears in the film.

CONS

Personally, I'm in two minds about Mathilde. On one side it feels a little soap-opera-esque. In fact it feels like a very Sam Mendes move. After all SF was about 'mothers', SP was about 'fathers', and it would make sense for that trilogy to end on the 'children.' You can make a strong argument this type of stuff doesn't belong in a traditional Bond film. But do we really want to see Bond save a child? I'm most fearful that this ending will just give way to platitudes and false emotion.

Also, what will the character of Mathilde be like? Precocious? Shy? I have zero idea what the personality of a 5 year-old is like. We aren't gonna have to watch some plucky kid save the day by pressing a button or something whilst her parents are in danger...

Essentially, there is a lot of room for such a storyline to go wrong.

PROS

But I'm not against it either. In fact, there are a lot of interesting dramatic possibilities. For one thing, it gives Lea Seydoux more to do. Another is that Daniel Craig will get to perform scenes as Bond we have never seen him in before. There is always a fear in Bond that the actors are essentially being forced to do the same scenes over again.

Plus, I think it's kinda funny and subversive having the Bond girl from a previous film turn up with child. It's not like Bond is a champion for monogamy. So this situation was bound to happen to him eventually...

Fukunaga also has a lot of experience working with child actors. All his projects deal with childhood trauma to some extent. So he is a very good pair of hands for this type of storyline, so I have faith he knows what he's doing.

Nonetheless, like I said this story gives both Seydoux and Craig more meat to chew on. Which is no bad thing....

lea-seydoux-and-daniel-craig-1445895098-view-0.jpg
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Oh well, at least this got the thread burning up again. Full throttle and all that.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I didn't discover I had a child until they were five years old. I never thought that aspect of my life would be the thing that most closely resembled James Bond's.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 31
    Any news revealed..?..yet..?

I kinda love this dialogue...I hope something like this appears in the film.

CONS

Personally, I'm in two minds about Mathilde. On one side it feels a little soap-opera-esque. In fact it feels like a very Sam Mendes move. After all SF was about 'mothers', SP was about 'fathers', and it would make sense for that trilogy to end on the 'children.' You can make a strong argument this type of stuff doesn't belong in a traditional Bond film. But do we really want to see Bond save a child? I'm most fearful that this ending will just give way to platitudes and false emotion.

Also, what will the character of Mathilde be like? Precocious? Shy? I have zero idea what the personality of a 5 year-old is like. We aren't gonna have to watch some plucky kid save the day by pressing a button or something whilst her parents are in danger...

Essentially, there is a lot of room for such a storyline to go wrong.

PROS

But I'm not against it either. In fact, there are a lot of interesting dramatic possibilities. For one thing, it gives Lea Seydoux more to do. Another is that Daniel Craig will get to perform scenes as Bond we have never seen him in before. There is always a fear in Bond that the actors are essentially being forced to do the same scenes over again.

Plus, I think it's kinda funny and subversive having the Bond girl from a previous film turn up with child. It's not like Bond is a champion for monogamy. So this situation was bound to happen to him eventually...

Fukunaga also has a lot of experience working with child actors. All his projects deal with childhood trauma to some extent. So he is a very good pair of hands for this type of storyline, so I have faith he knows what he's doing.

Nonetheless, like I said this story gives both Seydoux and Craig more meat to chew on. Which is no bad thing....

lea-seydoux-and-daniel-craig-1445895098-view-0.jpg

Think it'll either work well or well be terrible - it'll all be in the execution - those lines have given me hope that it might just actually work. Just hope the 'secrets' in the PTS isn't just that Maddy is pregnant!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Just hope the 'secrets' in the PTS isn't just that Maddy is pregnant!

Obviously not. Bond will find out they have a kid way into the film. Right before leaving to Norway I'd say.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    That brief footage in the trailers when Swann & Bond is talking in a corridor area and she says "Don't you know what this is?".. pointing at something I think. Bond has a confused, overwhelmed, suprised look on his face in that scene

Could that be Swann holding up a pic of Matilde, and then maybe con't with "This is your daughter" ?

Or is she talking about Safins connection to her?

• edited June 2020 Posts: 31
    Contraband wrote: »
    That brief footage in the trailers when Swann & Bond is talking in a corridor area and she says "Don't you know what this is?".. pointing at something I think. Bond has a confused, overwhelmed, suprised look on his face in that scene

Could that be Swann holding up a pic of Matilde, and then maybe con't with "This is your daughter" ?

Or is she talking about Safins connection to her?
    Maybe It s the clone of the clone of the daughter
    ~X( 8-> X_X :-SS :-O
    Bond 25 no time to clone X_X ~X( :-t
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Whether people like it or not society has moved on and the A to B travelogues with tick the box antics are long gone.

SF whether you liked it or not changed the pieces on the board and they aren't going back anytime soon.

I think it is incredibly ballsy to dig in on the ideas of a very divisive film to not just the fan base (I hate it personally) then pull out of it which to my eyes and what I'm seeing is something exciting, compelling and is going to be one emotional roller coaster ride.

Bond needs to appeal to a wide selection of people not just us fans and if it means riling some of you or getting some of you to bail, well I'm afraid there is going to be some casualties along the way.

This is now looking like a definitive full stop but don't think for one minute the ideas and concepts introduced in this era are going to disappear and it will go back to Bond goes on a mission because although some fans just want this, the wider demographic will get board of it and making Bond more human has proven a huge success.
    Bond 25: no time to spoiler