And the Klebbie for worst model work in a film....page 137

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    It does not get any worse than Bond fighting Graves wearing his Exosuit.

'It looks like your friends have bailed'... (grimace)

'Time to face gravity'... (delayed grimace)

Horrendous dialogue

The dialogue is okay for me but the fight itself is incredibly bad.
    Horrendous everything. DUD is the masterpiece of bad, the epitome of cringeworthy, the apotheosis of atrocity, the film that made me embarrassed of being a Bond fan.

The first 30 minutes are perfect?...NO! Bond SURFS! The dialogue is cringeworthy.
    The sword fighting at Blades is good?... NO! For people who actually fence, it's embarrassing to watch.
    The Cuba scenes are good?...NO! Have you been to Cuba? That is not Cuba, that's a badly dressed up Cadiz. But ok, most films do that, and I do enjoy those scenes a bit. But not enough. An outside small bandage for an internal bleeding.
    Brosnan's at his best?...Best what? TV actor format? I was a fan. I WAS a fan. (he was able to make some emends, of course, with later films like Seraphim Falls and The Matador)
    Hale Berry is sexy?...Is she, though? I wouldn't even have her on a Bond gi...women list.

There is nothing to like about that mess. Hey, I don't like DAF. For me it's Connery's worst. Much worst than, say, NSNA. But DUD is an insanely bad film.

So, I vote for Die Another Day. And I vote for never having a diamond plot in a Bond film ever again ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,530
    I have a lot of fun with DAD it is utterly terrible, I moved past the outrage and now it kind of works as a Spy Spoof for me... Carry On Bond
    My suggestions for future Bondies and Kleebies :

Bondie for best send-off of a secodnary character : Q's exit in TWINE. Classy !

Klebbie for worst send off of a secondary character : Moneypenny in DAD. The very thought... makes my skin crawl.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Gerard wrote: »

Klebbie for worst send off of a secondary character : Moneypenny in DAD. The very thought... makes my skin crawl.

Klebbie for Mathis in QoS perhaps?

I absolutely agree with Q's exit as a sure winner of a Bond ;)

For a Klebbie, I'd say Mathis was wasted in the Craig era by exiting poorly in QOS. He was one of the best secondary characters in the entire franchise. Giannini is fantastic. They should've kept him for future entries. And the dumpster+code name thing was awful, IMO.
    Going through the nominees....

DAF: Not a good film, but an amusing one with some fun setpieces. Connery looks like he's having fun.
    LTK: The best send-off film for a Bond actor!
    DAD: Holds up relatively well until the ice palace, has Brosnan's best performance, and the direction has vitality.
    AVTAK: Unlike all the above films, AVTAK is enervated in every way. Roger knows and shows he's too old for the role, the cast has no chemistry (aside from Moore and Macnee), the plot is warmed-over GF, Glen is in a mid-streak slump, the tone shifts are disastrous. A Bond actor should not go out with a film as tired as AVTAK--it deserves the Klebbie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It does not get any worse than Bond fighting Graves wearing his Exosuit.

'It looks like your friends have bailed'... (grimace)

'Time to face gravity'... (delayed grimace)

Horrendous dialogue

Haha! Great way of putting it :D
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    The fact that LTK is on this list is disgraceful, and I find a lot of enjoyment in DAF divorced from it's immediate predecessor. I'm also no fan of AVTAK, but at least it's got great villains and a really enjoyable performance from Moore (even though he's way too old for Bond). I vote for DAD; it's first half hour is good, but then it spirals out of control.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,093

That 'never let them see you bleed' line always rankles with me though: it's nothing close to actually suiting Bond and Q's relationship that we've seen over the last thirty-odd years to the extent that I'm almost surprised Bond doesn't does say "No you didn't!". Plus he looks a bit scared as he's being lowered into that pit- I feel sorry for him!
    :D

Klebbie for Mathis in QoS perhaps?

I'm in two minds about that one. It doesn't suit him as he's such a great character, but it is quite a shocking exit because of that, so as a scene it kind of works. He deserved more, but then that's the point.
    Revelator wrote: »

It's never been my favourite, but I guess it is that rare thing of a Bond actor going while he's still at the top of his game, or at least about to reach it. Although I don't think Brosnan ever got worse or too old: his portrayal just reached the end of the line, which is a different thing.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Univex wrote: »

For a Klebbie, I'd say Mathis was wasted in the Craig era by exiting poorly in QOS. He was one of the best secondary characters in the entire franchise. Giannini is fantastic. They should've kept him for future entries. And the dumpster+code name thing was awful, IMO.
    I'm no fan of Mathis' demise, but where else could he have showed up in the Craig era? QOS was the natural conclusion, dead or alive.
    Agent_One wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

I'm no fan of Mathis' demise, but where else could he have showed up in the Craig era? QOS was the natural conclusion, dead or alive.

He could've brought them a bottle of Bollinger in Matera ;)
    Pierce hang glides past ice glaciers in Die Another Day

I do not blame Pierce for the bad Effects that was the choice of EON & the Director, but it was an awful way to end your run with such bad shit. Even Berry in a bikini could not save those poor effects.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Connery in Vegas, nothing is less Bondian than the trashy excess of Vegas, filled with foul-mouthed bimbos and lazy writing.

On a sidenote, I missed the last round, unfortunately, but my vote would have gone to the brilliance that is Timmy D.

That's not the half of it!!!! I've traveled to Vegas several times over the years for business and then to see The Beatles "LOVE" show and IMO it's all style - no substance. Even George Harrison's widow remarked: "Vegas? Why Vegas!?"
    George Harrisons widow did not financial benefit in any way?
    Roger makes a quiche and his stunt double does almost everything else in A View to a Kill

DAF has some witty dialog - which saves it (and it has Jill St. John). So it was a toss up between AVTAK and DAD. LTK wouldn't be on this list at all if it weren't Dalton's final movie. It's not a movie that I watch a lot, but it is fairly good.

BTW: Let us hope that we don't have to amend this list with NTTD :-).
    I find a difficult to make a Quiche and so he gets point for that , and an Oscar nomination for his love scene with Grace Jones. None of the other actors had to suffer such torture makes a knot to the balls preferable.
    SaintMark wrote: »

@SaintMark. I'm sure that she did. However, her statement was made in the spirt of Vegas not really being her style and hoping that the "LOVE" show (which is quite good BTW) couldn't have been staged in a place more to her liking.
    Dwayne wrote: »

@SaintMark. I'm sure that she did. However, her statement was made in the spirt of Vegas not really being her style and hoping that the "LOVE" show (which is quite good BTW) couldn't have been staged in a place more to her liking.

She should accept the money and there are far more horrible moments to hear your husbands music like during a Trump rally, makes Vegas a class act.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

She should accept the money

I would say she can do what she likes.
    mtm wrote: »

Do you have her address I'll offer her the option of putting the dosh in my bankaccount then.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Sorry Pierce, but I have to give this to DAD. I don't think it's the worst performance in a final send off but the overall worst picture of the bunch is DAD
    DAD was so bad, Eon had to re-think what to do with Bond completely. The others refined or tweaked the formula but wasn't a complete overhaul like it was from cgi para surfing to actual stuntman jumping off cranes.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    This appears to be a open race for the Klebbie with every nominee getting votes except for LTK. Lets keep voting open for a bit longer and see what shakes out as the worst send off of a Bond actor. Admittedly only Roger's and Sean's were really known at the time of their production that it was likely their last film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Do you have her address I'll offer her the option of putting the dosh in my bankaccount then.

I'm not sure where this idea comes from that because you get royalties for something you likely had no choice in that means you're not allowed an opinion.

I'm not sure where this idea comes from that because you get royalties for something you likely had no choice in that means you're not allowed an opinion.

I expected that she got some royalties from her Husbands work unless she had no rights to the royalties.

I was just joking around how some people consider musicals or circus performances not their cup of tea when there is so much more in the world to worry about like poverty, starvation , war and disease.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think a person can worry about poverty, starvation, war, and disease, as well as things that are important to that person such as how a loved one's work is being respected once they're dead... they're not mutually exclusive.
    jeez some light banter seems to be lost to some forum members on this thread.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    jeez some light banter seems to be lost to some forum members on this thread.

Not sure most people consider poverty, starvation, war and disease to be terribly light banter subjects. Pre-dinner cocktails must be a hoot around your house!
    :D
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Revelator wrote: »
    Going through the nominees....

DAF: Not a good film, but an amusing one with some fun setpieces. Connery looks like he's having fun.
    DAD: Holds up relatively well until the ice palace, has Brosnan's best performance, and the direction has vitality.
    AVTAK: Unlike all the above films, AVTAK is enervated in every way. Roger knows and shows he's too old for the role, the cast has no chemistry (aside from Moore and Macnee), the plot is warmed-over GF, Glen is in a mid-streak slump, the tone shifts are disastrous. A Bond actor should not go out with a film as tired as AVTAK--it deserves the Klebbie.

Connery can have all the fun he likes, but that's not the point, is it? He's doing a job FFS. The only credit I will give him is for not giving a damn about whether his flabby tits would be seen by half the world. The fact that he looked fitter ten years later in NSNA speaks volumes.