'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 12,837
    As someone who gave up after episode one, is the rest of the last series worth watching? I noticed the new Doctor when the actors did that video for the charity lockdown thing the other week, and now I'm curious.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    As someone who gave up after episode one, is the rest of the last series worth watching? I noticed the new Doctor when the actors did that video for the charity lockdown thing the other week, and now I'm curious.

I thought season 12 was better than 11 though its still plagued by many of the same issues, Fugitive of the Jadoon is probably the best episode of season 12. Then there is the 2 part finale, make of that what you will.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I was an improvement but there is still not a single 13th Doctor episode I've watched twice. They're not good.
    They are enjoyable if you enjoy Doctor Who, there seems to be some issues with the fact that the current version of the Doctor is female, but the stories are actually quite good and entertaining.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,267
    mtm wrote: »
    I was an improvement but there is still not a single 13th Doctor episode I've watched twice. They're not good.
    Iikewise it's unlikely that I will watch any Season 11 and 12 episodes again, that's from someone who has rewatched the Capaldi era more than once.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    They are enjoyable if you enjoy Doctor Who, there seems to be some issues with the fact that the current version of the Doctor is female, but the stories are actually quite good and entertaining.

It's got nothing to do with whether you like Doctor Who or not and a female Doctor is not the issue, the issue is terrible writing.
    For me after Matt Smith, who was brilliant by the way, the next two Doctors are just not that charismatic but deliver good stuff. So does the Lady Doctor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    They're incorrigible !

Still can't get along :)

I'm still laughing at Sgt. Bensons bunsen burner. :))

Also, am I the only one that thinks Culnshaw's Pertwee is better than his Baker?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm sure there are a few people that feel that way, I don't enjoy them because they're much worse written than Doctor Who used to be.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland

I'm sure there are a few people that feel that way, I don't enjoy them because they're much worse written than Doctor Who used to be.
    +1

They are actually not the new Who has had it turkeys before Whitaker took up the mantle there was a lot complaints about RTD when he started the show, then his successor was not always on the ball and now Chibnall gets the vitriol.

Whitaker had some exceptional episodes in both seasons but that seems to be disputed I am not sure why, I still believe it has to do with who is playing the Doctor. Had Smith or Tennant doen the episodes they would have been brilliant.

They are actually not the new Who has had it turkeys before Whitaker took up the mantle there was a lot complaints about RTD when he started the show, then his successor was not always on the ball and now Chibnall gets the vitriol.

Whitaker had some exceptional episodes in both seasons but that seems to be disputed I am not sure why, I still believe it has to do with who is playing the Doctor. Had Smith or Tennant doen the episodes they would have been brilliant.
    Nah. I've seen people who love Tennant and Smith slate various episodes in Series 2, 6 and 7.
    Well, it seems Jodie is as divisive as Colin Baker was in his time. Me, I like most of her episodes (although I woud agree with most here that "Orphan 55" should never have been filmed, or at lesat not in the way it was done.

Meanwhile, here's a bonus for tonight's lockdown viewing f "The Rings of Akhaten" :

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,929

Well it's all subjective really, I'm wrong to say they're definitely worse written, I just find them to be so. There's no consistency to the morality on display, the jokes I find much less funny, the ideas and concepts behind the episodes don't spark my imagination in any way and seem uninspired... I just find much less elegance and wit and cleverness there and some of the scripts feel thrown together. You're right to say there have been worse episodes (I don't think either of the past two series have hit the extreme lows that some other episodes have hit) but they're just generally average-to-poor TV.

I think it would have helped, yeah. But then I thought Capaldi was great but there's still of couple of his I haven't gone back to. I do think she's not very good. Not totally miscast perhaps but she's not very interesting to me.
    Jo Martin to me made a greater impression in one episode than Jodie Whittaker did in two whole seasons. They are both female one can act and has depth, the other just says 'Fam' all the time and does a funny thing with her nose. So I like Jo Martin as the Doctor, so that must mean I am not against a female Doctor.

Of course everybody his personal taste, but Whitaker will be around for another series which will be badmouthed again by the anti-female & anti-Chibnall squad until something changes and then we start all over again.

I expect Whitaker to do two more seasons before she moves on, looking forwarrd actually to the new shows.

Long live the Doctor. ( I have ordered the 14th season Boxset because nobody does it better than the 4th Doctor imho :D )
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    I would suggest you don't strawman everyone who doesn't think the Chibnall era is good as sexist or hating for the sake of it. And you can't just dismiss it as 'eVerYoNe hATeS tHe nEw sHoWrUnNeR', because what about the seasons that people didn't like when broadcast and are still considered bad? Like S22, S23, or S24?
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,653
    Agent_One wrote: »
    I would suggest you don't strawman everyone who doesn't think the Chibnall era is good as sexist or hating for the sake of it. And you can't just dismiss it as 'eVerYoNe hATeS tHe nEw sHoWrUnNeR', because what about the seasons that people didn't like when broadcast and are still considered bad? Like S22, S23, or S24?

I suggest that you get of your high horse, it is factual that these last two saesons get a lot of hate especially because the current Doctor is female or that Chibnall is involved. It is a tough job running the Who shows with "fans" always second guessing and knowing it better. Even on the Doctor Who forums the vitriol is quite existent and quite a lot aimed at Whitaker and Chibnall, and then there are of course DW fans who do not like the new series at all because the past is so much better.:-/

I like the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th & 8th Doctor quite a lot. Enjoy the Big finish productions quite a lot.

And somebody should be positive about Whitaker as nobody seems to be, positive sounds seem to be offensive to you @Agent_One

I suggest that you get of your high horse, it is factual that these last two saesons get a lot of hate especially because the current Doctor is female or that Chibnall is involved. It is a tough job running the Who shows with "fans" always second guessing and knowing it better. Even on the Doctor Who forums the vitriol is quite existent and quite a lot aimed at Whitaker and Chibnall, and then there are of course DW fans who do not like the new series at all because the past is so much better.:-/

I like the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th & 8th Doctor quite a lot. Enjoy the Big finish productions quite a lot.
    Everything gets hate. Tennant got it for being popular, Smith for not being 10, Capaldi for being too old. Just because some people hate S11 and S12 for stupid reasons doesn't mean there aren't things to criticise. And yes, IMO there have been many seasons in the past that are leagues better than the last two.
    Each his/her own, I quite like the last DW seasons and probably keep enjoying them quite a lot. And buying the seasons on bluray/dvd
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I suggest that you get of your high horse, it is factual that these last two saesons get a lot of hate especially because the current Doctor is female or that Chibnall is involved.

What's wrong with disliking Chibnall's input? I don't find him to be a terribly good Dr Who writer.
    I like him enough he does a good job you started with the strawman label. Lets keep it that we will disagree.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like him enough he does a good job you started with the strawman label

No I didn't..?!
    That was me, not @mtm.
    oops my apologies to both parties.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,653
    Just received my season 14 box in bluray with Tom baker, it is a beautiful thing and some really great serials to watch again, my daughter already remarked that she was ready to hardcore Doctor Who again, as she actually likes the 3rd & the 4th Doctor.
    I am really pleased I was able to obtain this boxset.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2020 Posts: 13,894
    Did anyone see Tenable today? There was one woman on the team that claimed to be a fan. She had to name the last 10 actors to play the Doctor. She started off perfectly fine, in reverse order with Capaldi, Smith, Tennant and Eccleston. then it all fell apart. After Eccleston, she named Colin Baker next, she knew he had been the Doctor, but admitted to not knowing where he is in th echronological order, then after Colin Baker, she named the next Doctor, Peter Baker. At that point, she took the money she had banked, and went back to the team.
    Did anyone see Tenable today? There was one woman on the team that claimed to be a fan. She had to name the last 10 actors to play the Doctor. She started off perfectly fine, in reverse order with Capaldi, Smith, Tennant and Eccleston. then it all fell apart. After Eccleston, she named Colin Baker next, she knew he had been the Doctor, but admitted to not knowing where he is in th echronological order, then after Colin Baker, she named the next Doctor, Peter Baker. At that point, she took the money she had banked, and went back to the team.
    Ah yes, Peter Baker is my second favourite Doctor. But nothing will ever beat Sylvestom Pertroughton for me.
    Sean Pertwee has to be in the mix as best Doctor.
    Remember that one from "Before the Flood" ?

Well :

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2020/06/13/peter-capaldi-to-play-beethoven-in-upcoming-bbc-radio-drama/

Hilarious, isn't it ?