DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,102
    Just gotta say, be careful what you wish for.

It really can't be worse than that utter garbage that Whedon's name was attached to. The fact we wont get garish red filters is a plus immediately.

It can be worse. I saw MOS and BvS. More of Snyder’s dudebro approach to DC properties won’t go well.

As much of a mess JL is, Whedon at least got Superman right. I wish we had his Superman from the start instead of Snyder’s MopeyMan.

I like Snyder's Elseworld take on the MOS and BVS, naturally I would like to see an end to his trilogy that is consistent with the first two films. Obviously we have our own opinions.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I just want a Superman that isn’t feeling burdened by his role as a hero, and that the movie is actually fun, breezy, and adventurous. We really haven’t had a decent one in 40 years now. The worst was SUPERMAN RETURNS, which seemed to have no fundamental understanding of what made the first two Reeve films so beloved.

Elseworlds is fine as side-projects for devoted DC fans, which is why it’s fine for comics. I’m not sure what made WB think a popular Superman film would involve 9/11 type destructions and angst. I take that back, it was THE DARK KNIGHT making a billion dollars. “Make it dark n gritty” being the motto it seemed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It really can't be worse than that utter garbage that Whedon's name was attached to. The fact we wont get garish red filters is a plus immediately.

It can be worse. I saw MOS and BvS. More of Snyder’s dudebro approach to DC properties won’t go well.

As much of a mess JL is, Whedon at least got Superman right. I wish we had his Superman from the start instead of Snyder’s MopeyMan.

I like Snyder's Elseworld take on the MOS and BVS, naturally I would like to see an end to his trilogy that is consistent with the first two films. Obviously we have our own opinions.

Same here. Stylistically, he's like marmite. But I quite liked MoS, and admired what he was attempting with BvS - even if he didn't succeed.

Whedon's film was utter garbage. I understand that people feel he got Superman right - I would agree in part, but would do so hesitantly because in context he leapfrogged the development of this version of the character and made it feel incredibly cheap. A bigger crime though, is how he got almost all of the other characters wrong.
    I don’t really care for how ill seamless the transition from MopeyMan to Superman was because I simply do not care for Snyder and his “vision” of the characters. Whedon at least has a better understanding and love of the comics and tone whereas Zack Snyder seems to just want to wallow in the darker tone of WATCHMEN which is so inappropriate. I mean his directors cut is R rated... THATS INSANE
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    “I want to thank HBO Max and Warner Brothers for this brave gesture of supporting artists and allowing their true visions to be realized. Also a special thank you to all of those involved in the SnyderCut movement for making this a reality,” said Snyder.

Justice is served.
    I don’t really care for how ill seamless the transition from MopeyMan to Superman was because I simply do not care for Snyder and his “vision” of the characters. Whedon at least has a better understanding and love of the comics and tone whereas Zack Snyder seems to just want to wallow in the darker tone of WATCHMEN which is so inappropriate. I mean his directors cut is R rated... THATS INSANE

Whedon did his job... and he did it poorly. He just made a bastard version of what could've been a great film. Never forget that Zack's vision was about building a universe, building a 5 movies Superman story arc (MoS - BvS - JL 1, 2, 3) dealing with the acknowledgment of his role and his power. By the end of JL1 he would've become the real Superman. Anyway this will be the iconic look of Superman in Zack Snyder's JL, at least once he comes back to help the team:

12121154576533.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,102

Same here. Stylistically, he's like marmite. But I quite liked MoS, and admired what he was attempting with BvS - even if he didn't succeed.

Whedon's film was utter garbage. I understand that people feel he got Superman right - I would agree in part, but would do so hesitantly because in context he leapfrogged the development of this version of the character and made it feel incredibly cheap. A bigger crime though, is how he got almost all of the other characters wrong.

I am a big fan of Watchmen and even like Sucker Punch. BvS has some amazing scenes, the film does drop off for me two thirds the way through the Doomsday fight and I did not like Cavils acting leading up to his death, Cavil should have admittedly been more stoic on occasion.

The new scenes shot of Superman in JL were pretty much all jarring to me, the dodgy CGI tash removal did not help. Bruce was written badly in the Whedon scenes, though Afleck looked like he had checked out.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Never forget that Zack's vision was about building a universe, building a 5 movies Superman story arc (MoS - BvS - JL 1, 2, 3) dealing with the acknowledgment of his role and his power. By the end of JL1 he would've become the real Superman.

If in Snyder Cut that Cavill comes across as anything good and resembling real Superman like in Whedon's reshoots, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't have a lot of hope for that. And like I said, I don't care for Snyder's "vision" on the characters as presented in MOS/BVS. If it writing the characters as lunkheads was all just to lead up to versions of the characters more aligned with how they were traditionally depicted for many decades then that just makes the initial films a total waste of time for me.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,009

I am a big fan of Watchmen and even like Sucker Punch. BvS has some amazing scenes, the film does drop off for me two thirds the way through the Doomsday fight and I did not like Cavils acting leading up to his death, Cavil should have admittedly been more stoic on occasion.

The new scenes shot of Superman in JL were pretty much all jarring to me, the dodgy CGI tash removal did not help. Bruce was written badly in the Whedon scenes, though Afleck looked like he had checked out.

Affleck had. And I'm pretty sure him having to maintain his massive Batman physique and then essentially shoot Justice League twice (and play a different version of the character he had already established in the second) is one of the things that drove him into rehab again! :P
    I don't blame Affleck for desiring to bail immediately after BvS's critical reception was turning out negative. Prior to that, he was making a pretty strong comeback as a filmmaker and starring in a string of critically acclaimed films, winning his second Oscar after 15 years. Contrast that to a few years earlier than that when he was going through a long string of critical failures/disasters like ARMAGEDDON, FORCES OF NATURE, BOUNCE, REINDEER GAMES, PEARL HARBOR, DAREDEVIL, GIGLI, PAYCHECK, SURVIVING CHRISTMAS, and JERSEY GIRL. He was literally becoming the poster boy for the Razzies back in the early 2000s, which is why he took a whole year off in order to recuperate and take his career in a very different direction starting with HOLLYWOODLAND. He worked hard to show his winning an Oscar for GOOD WILL HUNTING was not just a fluke. I guess after ARGO he felt so confident in his career recovery that he felt ready to return to doing blockbusters with BvS after having taken a break from them for a decade. It's too bad, because he really is one of the best things about that film.

Affleck had. And I'm pretty sure him having to maintain his massive Batman physique and then essentially shoot Justice League twice (and play a different version of the character he had already established in the second) is one of the things that drove him into rehab again! :P

Yeah a very good indicator of Whedon scenes is how Afleck looks, there is a noticeable difference in hair, weight and whether he gived a... Lol The few Snyder scenes are certainly better shot and more cinematic, when Bruce first meets Arthur is a prime example.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,009
    I don't blame Affleck for desiring to bail immediately after BvS's critical reception was turning out negative.

I don't think that was the case. He hadn't even started working on his own Batman script at that point, and he was multiple drafts along before he announced he was leaving. By all accounts, it seems he enjoyed working with Snyder and had a distinct vision for his version of Batman, and it was only after the Justice League reshoots that he realised he didn't have anything new to do with the character. Most of the things that made his interpretation controversial, debatable and interesting had been stripped away. He wasn't a fan of what WB did to the film (neither was Cavill, interestingly).

That, and the mental side effects of working to stay in Bat-shape for two years straight at his age when he was already having a tough time of it personally, were the deal sealers.

Yeah a very good indicator of Whedon scenes is how Afleck looks, there is a noticeable difference in hair, weight and whether he gived a... Lol The few Snyder scenes are certainly better shot and more cinematic, when Bruce first meets Arthur is a prime example.

Whedon's visual style is pretty bland, that's for sure. Even his first Avengers film has a hollow look to it. He knows how to construct a team dynamic, but he made a balls of the Justice League, I think. Only Aquaman really shone, and that's because Momoa has such a unique physical presence.
    I don't blame Affleck for desiring to bail immediately after BvS's critical reception was turning out negative.

I don't think that was the case. He hadn't even started working on his own Batman script at that point, and he was multiple drafts along before he announced he was leaving. By all accounts, it seems he enjoyed working with Snyder and had a distinct vision for his version of Batman, and it was only after the Justice League reshoots that he realised he didn't have anything new to do with the character. Most of the things that made his interpretation controversial, debatable and interesting had been stripped away. He wasn't a fan of what WB did to the film (neither was Cavill, interestingly).

That, and the mental side effects of working to stay in Bat-shape for two years straight at his age when he was already having a tough time of it personally, were the deal sealers.

Whedon's visual style is pretty bland, that's for sure. Even his first Avengers film has a hollow look to it. He knows how to construct a team dynamic, but he made a balls of the Justice League, I think. Only Aquaman really shone, and that's because Momoa has such a unique physical presence.

Whedon's Firefly and Serenity were great, though as much as I like Avengers Assemble it's noticeable that it's shot by a TV director. Whedon is usually great with ensemble casts and creating a great dynamic, though he is no Zack Snyder when it comes to great visuals.
    Ok I am excited for the Snyder cut as this means technically Affleck will have been in 4 films as Batman (if we count Justice league and the Snyder cut as different films) I have said this multiple times but if I could go back and change things my issues are not starting with Justice league but actually BVS.

In a perfect world my DCEU would of been

Man Of steel (2013) ( I never saw it and I could care less about superman so I can't say too much about the plot or changes I would make except maybe throw in Ben Affleck's bruce wayne in a post credit sequence)

BVS (2015): the main changes I would make is the ending.. Sorry but the funeral the death of superman hell even the fight between the tinity and Doomsday ALL NOT NEEDED. if you end bvs on that shot of Batman Superman and Wonder Woman about to fight Doomsday that would get people invested and excited if you want to include all the doomsday and funeral stuff in the next film ( oh and KGbeast who was Luthor's main henchmen should of gotten his iconic comic book look)

Wonder Woman (2016): I don't know if Affleck and Gadot were sleeping together off set or not and I don't care the chemistry they had was possibly the best in any comic book movie and honestly Affleck should of had a small cameo as the film should be Diana telling Bruce and in turn the audience about her first big adventure and why the photo means so much to her.

The Batman (2017): It should of been a loose an adaptation of bruce wayne murder introducing Deadshot (as the main villain) (as well as Killer Croc and a PTS with Joker and Harley) setting up for

Sucide Squad (fall 2017): Joker is the main villain and the film is more of a heist movie ala ocean's 11 or mission impossible

Justice league (summer 2018): here is where all that death funeral etc goes it makes for a more empashioned film and gives people a reason for the League to form in the same film as Justice League

Justice Leage 2 (2019) the league take on darkseid

Overall that would of been far better then what we wound up getting...

I have heard rumors if you edit all of Affleck as batman's scenes together you get a fairly decent solo batman film ;)
    I would have enjoyed a Batman solo film before Batman v Superman, adapting A Death in the Family and ending with what the opening sequence of Batman v Superman turned out to be. Would have been a great cliffhanger and provided more context to Affleck's interpretation of the character, and also been a much better introduction to Leto's Joker for those that didn't hate him.

But alas, not to be...
    I’ll agree that Snyder is good at making strong visuals, as he should since he came from commercial/music videos where he had to make striking visuals that grabbed you in a short amount of time. That’s why montages like the opening credits to WATCHMEN is his strongest work because that’s basically his bread and butter.

And that’s my problem with him as a filmmaker of theatrical films. He has ideas for visuals and characters but I don’t think he’s very good at making a story out of them. Whedon may be a meat and potatoes director that works in a serviceable way, but I think he makes up for that with stronger writing on character and story.

Funnily, I thought AGE OF ULTRON was a definite uptick as far as visuals go, but the storytelling was messier in that not unlike Snyder’s. Though my understanding is Whedon didn’t have as much freedom due to mandates made by Marvel, such as having to shoot that awkward pool scene with Thor because that was mandated, otherwise Whedon would have cut it all out.
    The sooner people stop posting stuff by Midnight's Edge, the better. Never trust in YouTubers.
    The sooner people stop posting stuff by Midnight's Edge, the better. Never trust in YouTubers.

I don't trust in YouTubers though I am open minded and listen to other people's take on subjects irrespective of whether I agree with them or not. If you don't like certain content don't watch it.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,999
    I just get annoyed seeing Midnight’s Edge posted anywhere because most of what they say is entirely made up and it’s purely because they know who their audience is and so they basically play to that audience. It’s disingenuous. I used to follow them years back before I started to realize a lot of what they post never actually happened, and that it’s all purely sensationalism that their viewers eat up. Frankly they’re the Infowars of geek media.

They’re also the ones that made up the rumor that NTTD was postponed for heavy reshoots because of a poor test screening, something that has never been verified by anyone else including ones who are usually in the know like Baz. Again, just another way to get easy clicks.
    Didn't realise that it was the same channel when I watched the video.

Spins a convincing enough narrative regarding HBO Max, all the same.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,999
    Didn't realise that it was the same channel when I watched the video.

Spins a convincing enough narrative regarding HBO Max, all the same.

What they do typically do is take verifiable facts and mix it with some fiction to make it sound like a convincing yet sensational narrative. If you're not too familiar with the behind the scenes stuff of a certain property, Midnight's Edge's videos will sound very convincing and compelling. They're very good at doing that. But if you're super familiar with the properties they cover like Bond, you start to see exactly what they're trying to stir up for audiences who are not aware of how things work.

I remember watching one of their videos covering Bond and one of the set ups they did was make it seem like Bond slapping women was a fairly regular occurrence of his manliness, and that NTTD was going to get rid of that kind of stuff in favor of appeasing feminists and make Bond a softer character. Of course, Bond slapping women was not only a rarity but hasn't happened in nearly 50 years, so it's very disingenuous that they imply otherwise. However, that's all due to playing to their audiences, which largely consists of gamergate/incels that gripe about the feminist agenda. If you rile them up enough, they keep viewing Midnight's Edge and sharing the video through social media and the channel makes a profit out of it. It's very cynical, and why I react so negatively towards YouTubers like that.
    I take Midnight's Edge with a pinch of salt, I am fully aware that some content is bs, it has no effect on my own opinion. Literally every movie channel on YouTube has an agenda of sorts, though on occasion some presented information maybe something that did not occur to me.

The first thing my University Lecturer said to me is 'never go online for research 99% of information is bs' and that was in the late 90's. He was right
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I couldn't find a Superman-centric thread, so I will post it here (despite it not being about the DCEU Supes):

Exactly 25 years ago today, on May 27th 1995, Christopher Reeve was victim of a dramatic horse-riding accident that left him quadriplegic until his untimely death in 2004.

Superman-The-Movie-1024x576-0.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Henry Cavill is in talks to reprise his role as Superman in the Warner Bros. DC Universe.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/man-of-steel-henry-cavill-superman-warner-bros-1202945025/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Henry Cavill is in talks to reprise his role as Superman in the Warner Bros. DC Universe.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/man-of-steel-henry-cavill-superman-warner-bros-1202945025/

Yeah but only for a cameo role.
    Well I guess this means Henry Cavill won't be the next bond shame..
    did you really expect that?
    SaintMark wrote: »
    did you really expect that?

part of me did.
    Not surprised it will be only a cameo.