BLUE-RAY RELEASES - ARE THEY A MONEY MAKING CON?

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,548
As someone who has yet to enter the Blue Ray, and still sceptical about it, it strikes me that the planned boxset release is a little bit of a rip off. I apologise if this belongs on another thread but hust needed a rant and couldn't be bothered goping through the archive. I,ve just looked at the planned extras as there is virtually nothing that we havent already got on the Ultimate editions, save a couple of new documentaries which I,m sure will be standard generic stuff. Still no sign of a Collector's Edition for QOS. I,m sure the picture quality will be sharp but I'm more than happy with my UE Dvds. Rant over! Eon, if you're listening if you re-release on Dvd with alot od new extras plus a QOS UE then and only then will I part with my readies. Rant over!

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Are you just talking about the upcoming box set being a rip-off, or are you asking about the quality of blu-rays in general? If it's the latter, the quality is phenomenal. I have no speakers or subwoofers or anything, just a 32" HDTV, and all my blu-rays look leagues better than a DVD, and could only be better if I had said speakers or subwoofers.

I went to my granddad's house the other day, and he's in a reversed role: $1,500 or so of speakers, big TV, but just a DVD player. The quality doesn't look that well, but the sound is phenomenal. I guess it just depends on what you prefer. You can pick up a blu-ray player these days for $60-$80, and you could get almost any blu-ray you want off Amazon for $8-$20. I still go to places like Wal-Mart and Best Buy and find great deals.
    I am in a luckier position that i do not own any Blu Ray films due to the fact that i do not have a blue ray player. So i have alot of sympathy for the people who have spent hard earned cash on the ones they have.

Bottom line is its all about the packaging really. I have to admit i will get one though.
    Well, I own a PlayStation 3, a blu-ray player, and close to 30 or 40 blu-rays, and have not once regretted such a decision. I've loved the transfer; DVD quality just doesn't cut it for me any longer. Seeing Bond sprint through Madagascar in HD, or watching the opening chase scene of QoS, or Batman tear through the streets of Gotham in blu-ray quality, it's well worth the purchase.
    Now I love me some Blu-ray, y'all, but I'm not going to purchase the "Bond 50" set.

I've already got almost all the titles I want on Blu-ray: the first 4 Connery pics, LALD, TMWTGG, LTK and the two Craigs. Am only missing OHMSS and TLD on Blu... As for the other titles in the franchise, the 2-disc Ultimate Collection DVDs (upconverted by my player) are quite sufficient.

(OHMSS and TLD better get stand-alone Blu-ray editions, dammit...)
    @CraterGuns, I think the only reason I would purchase the Bond 50 set is if I had maybe one Bond film on blu-ray. Instead, I own 5, and don't feel like having two copies of five films - FRWL, DAD, TWINE, CR, and QOS - so I would be better off getting the blu-ray Bond films that are already released for cheap prices off Amazon, and then tackle the rest separately when they come out.

But, GE? I don't care about the price, I will be purchasing it day one of availability.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think they'll be out separately when Skyfall is, so March of next year. Quite a long time to wait but worth it in the end hopefully.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well this is interesting for me. I never knew what was so great about blu-ray. But I will get one now, when I can, because quality visuals are important to me; I'd love that.
    Well this is interesting for me. I never knew what was so great about blu-ray. But I will get one now, when I can, because quality visuals are important to me; I'd love that.

Oh sir, you must go blu... It's the only way!!!
    The box set due in September will have a nice little slot ready to house SkyFall when that too comes out in April 2013! :-$
    :-B
    If anything was to tempt me into getting into Blu-Ray it would obviously be Bond but the lack of new extras from what we already have on the UE dvds had failed to interest me. I,m quite happy with the picture quality on the dvds. If Dan Craig, Connery started doing commentaries then I'd be interested.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I'm still contemplating if I shd get the upcoming Blu-Ray Bond set seeing as I too have not stepped into the Blu-Ray movies yet other than playing Blu-Ray games on my PS3. I already have the previously released "Ultimate" DVD set which consisted of Dr No all the way up to CR. This was released prior to QoS..Now with Skyfall coming, they release another set, this time with QoS and perhaps with added special features. Come Bond 24, there will surely be another box set of all the Bond movies again, this time with Skyfall added. So yeah, I believe they are a "money making con".

These Bond box sets will never stop and they will keep re-releasing it every now and again whenever a new Bond movie approaches... So now, come to think abt it, unless the blu-ray set reduces which I doubt would happen, I will just stick to my James Bond Ultimate DVD set..
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    blurays are amazing... the quality of the picture on a 1080p(or i) screen is immaculate... you wont notice too much of a difference if you have a tv that is still running 720p (like mine lol).. but on 1080, it's crystal clear quality..

unless it's a cheap movie i dont really care that much about - i only buy blurays now..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,447
    I have just entered the BR era and of course my first purchase, as it was back in the day with the DVD era, are the Bond films. Watching DN in 1080p blu me away. ;-) Simply amazing! Too bad the box doesn't contain the two unofficial ones (wink wink) so I had to buy NSNA separately. Haven't been able to find CR67 on BR yet though.
    Five years since this thread started we could easily change the title to 4K. I was fine with upgrading to blu, even if it and DVD were pretty close together as far as their rise. 3-D was the other big fad in between and didn't seem to last.

I'm not sure how much better quality can get and how many times I need to repurchase titles, especially as the next big thing seems to be around the corner faster and faster.

I guess it ends when you are actually transported into the film itself. Isn't that already available with virtual reality?
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Five years since this thread started we could easily change the title to 4K. I was fine with upgrading to blu, even if it and DVD were pretty close together as far as their rise. 3-D was the other big fad in between and didn't seem to last.

I'm not sure how much better quality can get and how many times I need to repurchase titles, especially as the next big thing seems to be around the corner faster and faster.

I guess it ends when you are actually transported into the film itself. Isn't that already available with virtual reality?

You can buy in to it or not - your choice. It's more to do with the size of your picture. A 32" TV isn't going to benefit much from the leap from 1080p to 4k. But a 120" + projector screen will benefit enormously. They have 8K in Japan.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I have just entered the BR era and of course my first purchase, as it was back in the day with the DVD era, are the Bond films. Watching DN in 1080p blu me away. ;-) Simply amazing! Too bad the box doesn't contain the two unofficial ones (wink wink) so I had to buy NSNA separately. Haven't been able to find CR67 on BR yet though.

1967 CR is available on blu ray.
    But how many people have the means to afford/accommodate such a set-up? It would be fun to have, I just don't have a convenient space to enjoy something of the sort even if it were affordable.

And considering some people are content to watch things on their tablets, computers and cell phones, I question if that will go over well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've been very impressed with some blu rays (the Bond films are an example) and sorely disappointed with others. In fact, in some instances I've found the DVD to be superior to the blu ray. It all depends on whether it's been remastered etc. and the quality of the work.

For example, I had the original Terminator blu release and it was serviceable. When they remastered and rereleased it a few years back the quality jumped by leaps and bounds. I quickly sold my old copy. In contrast, I couldn't tell much of a difference in the latest ballyhooed remastered release of Heat vs. the old copy. Maybe it's because the original release was pretty good. Same goes for Angels and Demons.

I've yet to invest in a 4K setup and am waiting for the prices to fall. This is the one that could be the 'money grab'. Although the quality is noticeably better from what I can tell, the films are too expensive for the moment.

I purchased the 4K version of Total Recall (the pathetic remake), and the quality is exceptional even without a 4K player or tv. I can certainly tell the difference on my 55" lcd with a standard blu ray player.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    But how many people have the means to afford/accommodate such a set-up? It would be fun to have, I just don't have a convenient space to enjoy something of the sort even if it were affordable.

And considering some people are content to watch things on their tablets, computers and cell phones, I question if that will go over well.

They don't have to have such a setup. If people are content in watching on tablets etc. then that's fine for them - I don't see what your point is.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Sue their asses for omitting those official two titles, Dimi!
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    Most people I know use DVD still, if they use physical media at all anymore. Blu-ray just never caught on in as big a way, and I don't see any 4K physical media catching on either (digital of course will), although I can see it developing as a kind of niche for film collectors/super fans of certain prominent properties. Bond will be definitely be one.

MGM seems to have been waiting for the right time, rolling out the Bond films in 4K gradually, across streaming, on-demand, and as DCP re-releases in cinemas for the last couple years, even though they've had them sitting on the shelves since the Ultimate Edition DVDs were mastered.

It won't make sense to keep "upgrading" the quality with movies that were shot on 35mm film much past 4K. This article is a good read if you're interested in this stuff.

Post-4K, I can only hope that, being unable to sell us on higher quality or the newness of a format, maybe they'll go back to selling us on some quality extras.
    4K still isn't close to being as big as blu-ray is, so I'm sure 8K is years and years off. Won't it eventually get to a point where it can't possibly look any better?

I plan on getting a 4K TV soon, but I'm still lost on what brand/series I want to go with.
  • Been in the process of upgrading all my favorites to blu ray. The difference really is a big step up from DVD (not as big as VHS to DVD, but big nonetheless). I'm not sure 4K is coming at the right time though. People have just upgraded their collections to blu ray, which looks fantastic as is, and 4K is significantly more expensive than blu ray.
    Been in the process of upgrading all my favorites to blu ray. The difference really is a big step up from DVD (not as big as VHS to DVD, but big nonetheless). I'm not sure 4K is coming at the right time though. People have just upgraded their collections to blu ray, which looks fantastic as is, and 4K is significantly more expensive than blu ray.

You just have to know where to look. Some of those TV's are in the few thousand range, but you can find a proper 4K TV for $500-700.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I still primarily buy DVDs. I mean, what's the point of upgrading all my DVDs to BR, when I am only going to have to do it all over again, when the replacement for BR arrives? Then the replacement for that, and that, and that etc... I have a few BRs (dual format releases), but I will stick to DVDs until they out right stop being made.
    I still primarily buy DVDs. I mean, what's the point of upgrading all my DVDs to BR, when I am only going to have to do it all over again, when the replacement for BR arrives? Then the replacement for that, and that, and that etc... I have a few BRs (dual format releases), but I will stick to DVDs until they out right stop being made.

I just prefer the quality difference. These days, a new DVD in the U.S. costs $15-20 and a new blu-ray runs $20-25, so it's really not that big of a difference to me. Especially now, when most people have an HD TV and a blu-ray player is much, much cheaper and more accessible than it was a decade ago.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I just prefer the quality difference. These days, a new DVD in the U.S. costs $15-20 and a new blu-ray runs $20-25, so it's really not that big of a difference to me. Especially now, when most people have an HD TV and a blu-ray player is much, much cheaper and more accessible than it was a decade ago.

But it is a hassle to replace all my DVDs for BR, when at some point, I will have to replace all of my BRs for what comes next, then do the same for that format.

And that is without mentioning DVDs that have not had a BR release. Off the top of my head, the classic era Doctor Who stories, a fraction of which, have had a BR release. It's a hassle and a waste of money. I'll stick with DVD, until they aren't made anymore, then I simply won't have a choice, i'll start buying whatever is the current (physical) format.
    That's why if I were you, I'd wait a couple more years and if you really wanted to make the upgrade, get a 4K TV when it's cheap and go from there. Regardless, you're paying money with any upgrade you do, but if the quality disparity doesn't bother you in the slightest, then I'd definitely continue to buy DVD's. One consistent collection for cheap, with no upgrade.

I'd like to think the death of DVD's is still a long, long way off.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    4K still isn't close to being as big as blu-ray is, so I'm sure 8K is years and years off. Won't it eventually get to a point where it can't possibly look any better?

I plan on getting a 4K TV soon, but I'm still lost on what brand/series I want to go with.

Panasonic
    Sony
    samsung
    Are probably the best

Panasonic
    Sony
    samsung
    Are probably the best

I've been eyeing a $599 Vizio 50", part of the series that came this year that contains HDR, better coloring/dark levels, etc. Seems a pretty fair price, and the TV I have now is Vizio and I love it.

It's between that, or a $550 Vizio 55", but it's regular 4K TV and part of an older series.