And the Bondie and Klebbie for PTS in the Brosnan films...page 132

Comments

Of the ones on the list..definitely Jonathan Pryce as Eliot Carver. Embarrassingly bad!
    Amalric was a great villain, very overlooked and i will always defend Joe Don Bakeras Whitaker, certainly better than his awful Jack Wade character!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,930
    Joe Don Baker is the worst out of that choice, for me.

Back to the car chases, as I missed the voting:

1. Am really glad the Lotus won the vote as it’s a great chase. The shot where the Lotus drives into the sea with the helicopter just inches above it is one of my all-time favourite shots in any movie. No CGI there. Presumably only one opportunity to film it, so they had to get it right first time.

I'm sure they could just fish it out again.
    What gets me about that every single time is that the angle of the car hitting the water on top doesn't match the model Lotus entering the water we see from below! Really annoys me!
    :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mathieu is ideal casting for the character he has to play, I think.

“Everything he touches seems to wither and die.” I like how he snarls that line.

I always rather like the "Then he shouldn't be looking at me" bit in the car at the opera. It's nicely nasty.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think this thread is going too much haywire for me. There shouldn't be throwbacks to past votings once we have switched to a new issue (like discussing car chases when we are dealing with villains right now).

That being said, none of your "candidates" deserve a Klebbie. The blandest villain there is in JB history is Curd Jürgens (aka Curt Jurgens) as Stromberg (not his fault, I presume, but nevertheless). Something that IMO gets lost because the movie he's in is terribly overrated.

Among the five up for selection, both Carver and Greene (though each of them exaggerated in the script) are the most realistic villains you can have in these times. Carver is basically a modern-day William Randolph Hearst, who organised the Spanish-American War through his publishing empire.

OK, Whitaker is a cartoon villain. But that what makes him believable, actually. Wouldn't everybody think an American arms dealer is able to do the things portrayed?

And I'm also reluctant to blame Gray. It was the producers/script writers' decision to turn his Blofeld into a drag queen. Not his fault.

Then Christoph Waltz's Blofeld. Another script-writing miscarriage. But he's nevertheless probably the best actor, and his acting in SP along the lines provided by the questionable script, the best among those in question.

I herewith abstain.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,013
    thedove wrote: »
    I was tempted to put Pleasance on the list too but that might have caused a revolt. LOL!

++PRESS RELEASE++
    The DRP hereby announces their immediate withdrawal from the Academy and issue a statement strongly distancing themselves from the disgraceful comments that have been made regarding Donald Pleasence and his definitive portrayal of Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

*”Number Two dispatch our top operative to ensure the Academy President realises the error of his ways”*

Oh hang on, you NEARLY put Pleasence on the list? Yes well, just remember, you only live twice @thedove!! 😉🦜

Hear hear 😁
    Christoph Waltz as Blofeld in SP
    By far the worst Blofeld, but you cannot blame the actor for the daft script, but even then it is the usual schmaltz by Waltz.
    Of all the nominated actors, Walz is the only one who's coasting on his mannerisms. The other nominees at least have moments where they seem to be enjoying their roles, but Walz is collecting a paycheck. His schtick gets the Klebbie.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Waltz is not the worst for me though certainly one of the most disappointing Villain portrayals, I expected so much more.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

++PRESS RELEASE++
    The DRP hereby announces their immediate withdrawal from the Academy and issue a statement strongly distancing themselves from the disgraceful comments that have been made regarding Donald Pleasence and his definitive portrayal of Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

*”Number Two dispatch our top operative to ensure the Academy President realises the error of his ways“*

Oh hang on, you NEARLY put Pleasence on the list? Yes well, just remember, you only live twice @thedove!! 😉🦜

Great Stuff @Max_The_Parrot. :-)

Joe Don Baker as Brad Whitaker in TLD gets my vote.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Mathieu Amalric as Dominic Greene in QOS
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,500
    Come on! Toby Stephens as Gustav Graves surely has to be a contender! :O
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    jobo wrote: »

I could see it for Worst Villain, but not Worst Actor in a Villain Role. Graves wasn't Stephens' fault.

I could see it for Worst Villain, but not Worst Actor in a Villain Role. Graves wasn't Stephens' fault.

Hm, he still carries a lot of the blame I think.

The same argument can surely be used for Charles Grey´s Blofeld then. He just played the character he was told to play.
    Joe Don Baker. Everyone else I can see going through the motions (Waltz), or a miscast (Gray), or are actually good (Pryce). I think this falls under miscast and I think Baker overcooks his performance too much.

Hm, he still carries a lot of the blame I think.

The same argument can surely be used for Charles Grey´s Blofeld then. He just played the character he was told to play.

Fair enough. I think the argument could be made that Stephens played Graves more “interestingly” than Gray played Blofeld.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I've got to go with Waltz. A boring performance all the way through.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    Joe Don Baker as Brad Whitaker. I don't think the two Blofelds or Stromberg are particularly good villains, but it's not the performance so much as the writing that brings them down (well, Jurgens is pretty bland). But JDB is straight up bad in TLD.

I agree with @Max_The_Parrot about the quality of Pleasance's Blofeld. I prefer Savalas, but the criticism his portrayal gets is very much undeserved IMO.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I am trying to get to the stage to hand out the Klebbie! I am dodging chairs and there seems to be a mad parrot going on about Pleasance being the best! :)

The Klebbie for worst actor in a lead villain role is...Christoph Waltz as Blofeld in Spectre!

Here is how the dear academy voted:

Charles Gray received 3 votes
    Christoph Waltz 8 votes
    Joe Don Baker 5 votes
    Jonathan Pryce 2 votes
    Mathieu Amalric with 1 vote

Lets hand out a Bondie and select best actor in a villain role! The nominees are:
    • Robert Davi as Franz Sanchez in Licence to Kill
    • Gert Frobe as Auric Goldfinger in Goldfinger
    • Javier Bardem as Silva in Skyfall
    • Joseph Wiseman as Doctor Julius No in Doctor No
    • Christopher Lee as Scaramanga in The Man with The Golden Gun

I shall now leave the stage before I am pelted! Please remember we are considering the actor's performance and not the character!
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    Hm. I love all these actors and characters, but if you put a gun to my head I'd say Gert Frobe as Goldfinger, with Robert Davi's Sanchez a close second.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,013
    Joseph Wiseman all the way! Stole the movie with barely 10 minutes of screen time.
    The founding father for all iconic villains to come, not just in the Bond universe.
    Robert Davi as Franz Sanchez in Licence to Kill

I say this is the most well-rounded and passionate performance, Davi really delivers the good, the bad, and the ugly of the Sanchez character. Role of a lifetime for him!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Robert Davi as Franz Sanchez in Licence to Kill
  • ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    Davi is overrated imho. Sanchez roesn't really strike me as an intelligent character, just ruthless.He has the charm and the presence but he's not given anything memorable to do.

Gert Frobe is awesome and the fact that he didn't speak any English really magnifies the quality of his performance. Its so good you don't even realize that he's being dubbed (at least for me the first time I saw the movie).

Bardem is alright but I never believed for one second he was a former MI6 agent.

Chris Lee is a legend but his Scaramanga could have been so much better.

Len Wiseman is the only actor on this list that gives Gert a run for his money. The build up to his reveal is well handled and from the point when he finally reveals himself until his death lives up to the potential that was teased prior.

Vote goes to Gert Frobe
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Joseph Wiseman all the way! Stole the movie with barely 10 minutes of screen time.
    The founding father for all iconic villains to come, not just in the Bond universe.

Agree and also voting for Joseph. He’s the proto-Blofeld! Disembodied voice, nehru suit, he’s got it all. Very iconic portrayal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,930
    thedove wrote: »
    Lets hand out a Bondie and select best actor in a villain role! The nominees are:
    • Robert Davi as Franz Sanchez in Licence to Kill
    • Gert Frobe as Auric Goldfinger in Goldfinger
    • Javier Bardem as Silva in Skyfall
    • Joseph Wiseman as Doctor Julius No in Doctor No
    • Christopher Lee as Scaramanga in The Man with The Golden Gun

Oh that is a cruel one! They're all fab.

Davi... is great; big magnetic presence. I like that in some way you actually come to like him slightly.

Frobe... I might have to put him bottom of that list. I think he's great and everything but the film doesn't give him as much of a chance to shine as perhaps the others get, and it wasn't his voice of course!

Bardem. Well he gets to do everything and he does it fantastically. I love the campness: no one's really done a scarily camp Bond villain before. He's right up there.

Wiseman. Excellent, very chilling.

Lee is immense. He's charming and fantastic to look at, very much Roger Moore's equal onscreen in every way.

Wow, it's a hard one: I really can't decide. I think it's between Bardem and Lee for me... I think I'm going to give it to Javier Bardem. Because he doesn't just give us the latest version of the Joker like so many villain actors do in lesser films, he does something fresh and new and it works fantastically.

But ask me again in ten minutes and I might say Christopher :D I don't mind if any of them win!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Frobe.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,500
    I'll give a vote to Bardem/Silva.

Anyone of these are very worthy winners, but I think Bardem, his performance and importance to the succes of Skyfall, is almost understated by many fans. He deserves all the praise he can get for the job he did, and if no one else will do it, I am going to! ;)
    Christopher Lee. As Iconic as one could ever be.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    It's a toss-up between Robert Davi and Christopher Lee for me. I think good old Drac snatches the victory by a hair in the end.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

Agree and also voting for Joseph. He’s the proto-Blofeld! Disembodied voice, nehru suit, he’s got it all. Very iconic portrayal.

This is what I have been saying all along. +1.