The James Bond Movie Trivia Quiz

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 5,772
    All right, after 18 days without an answer, it's time, I think, to give the answer. In 1977, a french distributor of TV shows bought the right to an anime series named UFO Robot Grendizer for Europe and Québec. Before the airing of the series started, he decided to change the name of the robot, and to do that, he took the first syllable of Goldfinger and the last syllable of Mandrake, thus creating Goldrake (in Italy) and Goldorak (in France.

?tit=Ufo%20Robot%20Goldrake%20

He also changed the names of all the characters and engines in the series : Duke Fleed became Actarus, Koji Kabuto became Alcor, and so on.

So, to apologize, I'm going to give you another question, an easier one, I hope :

What is the the common link between You Only Live Twice and Diamonds are Forever ?

Hint : it involves one of the most important characters of the whole franchise.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Blofeld wants to earn a lot of money by threatening the world with dangerous weapons.
    Not a villain, sorry.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Does it involve Felix Leiter?
    No.

Sorry, got the wrong movie. It's between YOLT ans DAF.
    Gerard wrote: »
    No.

Charles Gray
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The main protagonist is played by Sean Connery :-).
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    No.

Charles Gray

No.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    The main protagonist is played by Sean Connery :-).

And no.
    Czech actor Jan Werich was supposed to be the first actor to lend his features to Blofeld and although he was eventually replaced by Pleasance, his hair still can be seen for a micro second in a back shot of Blofeld’s chair in YOLT.
    Gray is officially considered the first on screen Blofeld with hair.
    No. Here are some clue :

It happened twice in the first movie and once in the second. And the first two times gave us a clue as to what a certain character had done before entering MI6 (and I'm not talking about Bond here).
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    We see Moneypenny in a uniform in both films. In YOLT she is wearing a Women’s Royal Navy Service uniform?
    And we have a winner, ladies and gentlemen ! Indeed, in both movies, we see Ms. Moneypenny in uniform. In YOLT, it's in a Women's Royal Navy Service Uniform, and in DAF in a Customs officer uniform :

You-Only-Live-Twice-788.jpg

Diamonds-Are-Forever-122.jpg

And those are the only occasions it happened. Told you it was easy.
    Ah thanks @Gerard nice little teaser there, normally I’m no good at these so I’ll have a little think and see what I can come up with
    Ah thanks @Gerard nice little teaser there, normally I’m no good at these so I’ll have a little think and see what I can come up with

That's another understatement @Max_The_Parrot. Your by far the smartest bond riddle solver with feathers.
    That was a nice round @Gerard. I would love this thread much more if we would have shorter and easier rounds like this. But this is of course only my opinion.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,426
    Thanks @goldenswissroyale. In light of your comment I’ve come up with what hopefully will be a quick round - a simple solution but hopefully gets you thinking as well.

What the Chief of Staff gets wrong in FYEO, Bond gets right in AVTAK. What am I referring to?
    Blimey this was a long time ago, my fault for neglecting it. I'll not prolong this any longer so a quick clue just in case anyone is interested and if not I'll drop the answer tomorrow and leave it free for anybody to step in.

What the Chief of Staff gets wrong in FYEO, Bond gets right in AVTAK. What am I referring to?

No Bond knowledge required, look at what they say and who they are talking about and the answer may appear. Start with Chief of Staff, he doesn't say much!

The chief of staff refers to 'Sir Havelock's daughter' in the briefing with Bond. The correct way to refer to someone knighted would be Sir Timothy or Sir Timothy Havelock but never Sir Havelock. Bond makes no such gaffs with Sir Godfrey.

Sorry I couldn't come up with something better. If anyone wants to takeover a new round feel free.
    This was an innovative question. I had no idea.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I didn't manage to think of it, but the Chief of Staff talking about "Sir Havelock" has indeed been bothering me for years.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    What do the films DN, TB, YOLT, DAF all have in common, besides Sean Connery as Bond? :)
    SPECTRE
    Bond girls in bikinis
    Deadly animals
    Deaths in water
    Bond on a boat/yacht
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Connery as Bond crawling/sliding through a narrow shaft or tube?

DN: ventilation shaft
    TB: between the two shark pools
    YOLT: into Tigers office
    DAF: left to die in a tube
    I kind of turned this into a Odd One Out! :) Always amazing to see the responses. One of @R1s1ngs0n is what I was going for.
    The Connery movies with Spectre?
    Nope. Something a bit less obvious. Lets make the list a little more extensive and see if that brings about the answer!

DN, FRWL, TB, YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG, TSWLM, FYEO, OP, TND all have it in common.

I could have added AVTAK and LTK but I would have to stretch the common element.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,608
    Movie endings on water? (boats and such)
    Yes! Nailed it! All of Connery's except for GF end on water. Although someone pointed out you can see that him and Galore on an island. But in all of Connery's movies he ends up in a boat on the water. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

DN Boat from Crab Key, FRWL gondola, TB a life raft, YOLT a life raft, DAF a cruise ship.

Then Moore has a few TMWTGG the junk ship, TSWLM the escape sub of Stromberg, FYEO the Havelock's ship, OP Octopussy's boat, then we have a bit of a break in water endings till Brosnan in TND.

Interesting, or at least it struck me as interesting. :) Okay @marc over to you!
    Nice round! All right; I'd like to try and see whether we can have a little round of guessing:

Scientists have calculated and estimated with what relative speed Bond would meet the GE PTS airplane after jumping from the motorcycle (in reality, not necessarily as shown in the movie).

Any guesses?
    Winner is who guesses best.
    I havecabsolutely no idea and just a write a number withizt decent thinking at all:
    150 mph?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    thedove wrote: »
    Yes! Nailed it! All of Connery's except for GF end on water. Although someone pointed out you can see that him and Galore on an island. But in all of Connery's movies he ends up in a boat on the water. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

DN Boat from Crab Key, FRWL gondola, TB a life raft, YOLT a life raft, DAF a cruise ship.

Then Moore has a few TMWTGG the junk ship, TSWLM the escape sub of Stromberg, FYEO the Havelock's ship, OP Octopussy's boat, then we have a bit of a break in water endings till Brosnan in TND.

Interesting, or at least it struck me as interesting. :) Okay @marc over to you!

And in NSNA he and Domino are in a swimming pool. There is also a pool in LTK, and as for AVTAK-there is water in the shower.