Bond 77 - Marvin Hamlisch Appreciation

OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
in Music Posts: 1,081
My first Bond film was The Spy Who Loved Me and from the moment I saw Roger Moore in his yellow ski suit I was completely enthralled. However, I wasn't only captivated by the imagery, I was drawn in by the music. Hamlisch's sound was my first exposure to Bond and to this day, despite the film not remaining one of my favourites, the soundtrack definitely does!

Who else is a fan of Hamlisch's Spy score? It completely encompasses the time that the film was made in with it's discotheque influence. It may not be Barry's brass, but it's just as enjoyable.

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Octopussy wrote: »
    My first Bond film was The Spy Who Loved Me and from the moment I saw Roger Moore in his yellow ski suit I was completely enthralled. However, I wasn't only captivated by the imagery, I was drawn in by the music. Hamlisch's sound was my first exposure to Bond and to this day, despite the film not remaining one of my favourites, the soundtrack definitely does!

Who else is a fan of Hamlisch's Spy score? It completely encompasses the time that the film was made in with it's discotheque influence. It may not be Barry's brass, but it's just as enjoyable.

It's also a personal favourite of mine, still unhappy that they've never released a complete score. Like the 'Bond 77' track sounds different in the film & there's no track for the underwater lotus sequence & a whole lot of other good tracks that are missing. The only ones I've come across are ripped-off tracks with SFX. Hamlisch's score does have an Aquatic-Sci-fi feel to it, great score. Still hoping for a complete score one day.
    This and Live and Let Die are the best of the 'one time only' soundtracks. For me, they're the only two that stand up to the Barry stuff.
    Yeah, Martin & Hamlisch knew how to Sound like Bond, without Sounding like Barry....Great Scores.
    What's the piece of music where Solitaire reads the cards and you see the plane, and she's saying stuff like "a stranger is coming, he brings death" or something. It might be 'Solitaire Gets Her Cards'. I dunno, but it's a fantastic example of music + visuals working together. Like the dock fight crane shot in YOLT.
    But back to Hamlish, each of his pieces has their own identity. I love that. The Pyramids, The Ride to Atlantis, every time you hear them, you remember that sequence in the film. I struggle to do this with the Newman scores. The Newman pieces don't seem to have that identity.
    'Bond to New York' is the track's name.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for that. I'm lucky that I have the 2003 CDs where they included extra tracks and Bond to New York is one of the extra tracks.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    I love Bond 77, and the Q music show cover is awesome