And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actor...page 134

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The one from DAF is embarrassing. Too lazy to fix the obvious continuity error is bad enough, but the poor car park crashes are even worse.

The tasteless Las Vegas setting alone, however, makes it the worst even before taking any of that stupidity into account. And even though Rome is weirdly empty during the SP chase, at least the scenery is gorgeous.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    SP. So much wasted potential, between the cars and the setting... could have been amazing.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    I vote for the Bond/Hinx Rome chase in SP. It's boring, empty, and completely devoid of tension.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,979
    marc wrote: »
    My vote is against SP although I would have rather chosen QoS because of the editing. It has some funny moments in between ("ammunition not loaded" etc.), but overall it's rather boring and I don' like the dark night setting. The music is also too hectic IMO (well, that can be OK, but it has to be done in a better way)

On the other chases I basically agree with mtm. The parking lot "labyrinth" is quite nice in DaF", and the AVTAK car chase goes together with the preceding nice setting on the Eiffel Tower.

My thoughts exactly. I choose SP but would have chosen QoS. (Although QoS at least has semi-interesting stunts hidden by the editing.)
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I love how in many shots you can clearly see crowds watching the proceedings in DAF but then they decide to re-shoot the end of the stunt because of the crowds. :)

I agree with most that SP is devoid of any tension. Although hitting the environment button is a good laugh.

YOLT shows Bond firing at no car as it hasn't even come around the corner yet.

AVTAK to me the whole sequence feel un-inspired. I was going to nominate the Fire Truck chase but we are only going with car chases here.

DN I suppose I could cut it some slack. Just the part when Bond goes under the digger looks so fake and poorly edited but it was the first so I suppose it can be forgiven.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    SP is underwhelming, but DAF is poor in every sense (like most of the film).

The AVTAK fire truck sequence hasn't been mentioned yet, but it would also be on my "shitlist"!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I tend to vote for (against) the DN hearse chase. It's not just the back projection which is atrocious. But the hearse that crashes down the cliff is not even the same car that follows Bond's car before. The "funeral" pun doesn't make up for that.
    The first chase in GE should at least get a mention for the worst chase. Sorry, Mr. Julienne, but you did better. Much better (the final chase in LTK comes to mind). And the first chase from QOSis atrocious. We don't even understand what's going on. But if I have to choose among,those presented : Yes, SP is pretty bad.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I tend to vote for (against) the DN hearse chase. It's not just the back projection which is atrocious. But the hearse that crashes down the cliff is not even the same car that follows Bond's car before. The "funeral" pun doesn't make up for that.

I never realized that they changed the car for the explosion! Back projection, Bond's extreme movements of the steering wheel and the fact that they drive through the same curve at least three times are enough reasons for my vote: DN. (It's okay for the time it was made but it's the weakest car chase nontheless.
    Still hundred times better than the moonbuggy scene...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

I never realized that they changed the car for the explosion! Back projection, Bond's extreme movements of the steering wheel and the fact that they drive through the same curve at least three times are enough reasons for my vote: DN. (It's okay for the time it was made but it's the weakest car chase nontheless.
    Still hundred times better than the moonbuggy scene...

To quote bondcars.co.uk: "A 1939 La Salle funeral coach (Hearse). The car to be used in a car chase by the three blind mice to chase Bond in his Sunbeam Alpine through the Blue Mountains. A Humber Super Snipe MK11 is used as a stand in when the car goes over the cliff and bursts into flames."

Now I could not identify those two cars myself, but the supposed La Salle has the headlights to the right and left of the radiator grille, while the alleged Humber that gets wrecked has them on the fenders.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Despite loving the ‘helicopter with ruddy big magnet’ scene 🧲 we’re not inspired by the rest of the chase, so the DRP vote goes to YOLT
    Bond and Hinx drive on the empty streets of Rome from SP
    a plus 20 million pound action scene devoid from any excitement and tension, there have been better movies made for this amount, I wonder if the car chases from Ronin combined did cost this much money?
    Basically this was the moment where not one person said "Nobody does it better".
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    SP is underwhelming, but DAF is poor in every sense (like most of the film).

The AVTAK fire truck sequence hasn't been mentioned yet, but it would also be on my "shitlist"!

Coming up in a alternative vehicles category! LOL!
    Spectre. Purely because of wasted potential.

You get the Vatican to close down so you can race past St. Peter’s and then remove digitally every single ounce of humanity form the scene. It just beggars belief.

You need tension and stakes in any chase. Things to avoid, things to potentially crash into. Spectres car chase looks and feels anaemic in every way which is a shame.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,949
    Some real weaknesses here. The DN hearse with the Three Blind Mice gets a pass from me as it's the first Bond movie & the film-makers are still learning how to play their game. I'm less inclined to give that same leeway to YOLT as they should have a better idea of what they're doing by this time: the monitor in Bond & Aki's car is showing a scene (the magnet releasing the other car) it simply shouldn't be ABLE to show, unless Bond is getting a feed from the movie director's daily rushes. But DAF's flip-flop on the strip is just unforgivable. I can ignore the slide-whistle in TMWTGG's corkscrew stunt more easily than I can DAF's boneheaded screw-up on the visuals once Bond & Tiffany enter the alley on two wheels. It's a great chase sequence utterly ruined by the mishandling of this one stunt. DAF gets the stiletto in the shins from me this time around.

Those are just filming errors though. I can't imagine writing sequences off because of little goofs. These aren't supposed to be documentaries.
    I'd criticise them because they fail at their job: they're not exciting or well-written or fun. But a continuity error can't spoil a sequence for me, nor whether the background is nice or not. I find some of the criteria surprising.
    echo wrote: »
    marc wrote: »
    My vote is against SP although I would have rather chosen QoS because of the editing. It has some funny moments in between ("ammunition not loaded" etc.), but overall it's rather boring and I don' like the dark night setting. The music is also too hectic IMO (well, that can be OK, but it has to be done in a better way)

On the other chases I basically agree with mtm. The parking lot "labyrinth" is quite nice in DaF", and the AVTAK car chase goes together with the preceding nice setting on the Eiffel Tower.

My thoughts exactly. I choose SP but would have chosen QoS. (Although QoS at least has semi-interesting stunts hidden by the editing.)

Yeah I think I'd nominate the QoS for this one too. It's a really poorly conceived sequence. I'd love to see the script for it: did they just write "BOND finds a GUN. SHOOTS at other CAR. Chase ENDS'? Dreadful.
    I'm honestly surprised no one is saying DN. The back projection has taken away any sense of tension for me with that scene, and shows how badly it's aged. I know the films budget couldn't allow for a massive car chase, but scenes earlier in the film show Connery in a car.

People keep pointing to SP's chase. The production value is impressive, and the chase looks beautiful which is more than I can say with every other chase nominated. While there may not be much at stake, the chase is played for laughs and it usually gets a laugh from me every time I watch it.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm on your side @2Wint2Kidd
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised no one is saying DN. The back projection has taken away any sense of tension for me with that scene, and shows how badly it's aged. I know the films budget couldn't allow for a massive car chase, but scenes earlier in the film show Connery in a car.

People keep pointing to SP's chase. The production value is impressive, and the chase looks beautiful which is more than I can say with every other chase nominated. While there may not be much at stake, the chase is played for laughs and it usually gets a laugh from me every time I watch it.

This is interesting. Back projection is generally bad, of course, but never takes me out anymore and I've never viewed DN's chase particularly bad because of it.

Spectre on the other hand does have all those things going for it that you mention which I think only serve to set the bar for it higher, and IMO it's executed so poorly despite all these great factors that its just very disappointing.

At the end, the shortfalls of the DN chase don't take me out of the experience, whereas the shortfalls on the SP chase do take me out because of how good it could have been, even if the SP chase is "better" than the DN chase overall. I guess I don't really know where I land on this one, except all I can say is the DN chase doesn't bother me as much.

Things I like about the SP chase despite all of this: The DB10, Rome, and the fact that he drives it into the Tiber and ejects himself, and the quip to the guy on the bridge immediately after.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,415
    Spectres car chase could have been much improved by adding a few more cars to the mix. I mean there were alot of pissed off people from that meeting. Add a few heavys in some black sedans plus Hinx and don't take away the gadgets.

The Matera scene hopefully will remedy the Spectre chase. At least there's more than one car after Bond from what we've seen.

This is interesting. Back projection is generally bad, of course, but never takes me out anymore and I've never viewed DN's chase particularly bad because of it.

Spectre on the other hand does have all those things going for it that you mention which I think only serve to set the bar for it higher, and IMO it's executed so poorly despite all these great factors that its just very disappointing.

At the end, the shortfalls of the DN chase don't take me out of the experience, whereas the shortfalls on the SP chase do take me out because of how good it could have been, even if the SP chase is "better" than the DN chase overall. I guess I don't really know where I land on this one, except all I can say is the DN chase doesn't bother me as much.

Things I like about the SP chase despite all of this: The DB10, Rome, and the fact that he drives it into the Tiber and ejects himself, and the quip to the guy on the bridge immediately after.
    I do get what you're saying. I should have elaborated because I don't think it's just the back projection that makes the DN chase poor for me. I think the sound and even the acting on Connery's face doesn't sell me on it. We also don't even know who is in the car chasing Bond, we're just meant to assume it's the three blind mice which means when the car crashes and explodes it leaves us empty because we don't really have a connection with the people chasing Bond. At least we know with Hinx he can be pretty deadly up until that point in SP, even if they don't do much with him afterwards. I think SP improves on literally every aspect of the DN chase, from the look of the chase, to the sound of the engines revving. But each to their own I guess.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I agree. Of the two, the Dr No one is worse, but I can't really hold it to the same standard as the Spectre one. The Spectre chase is a let down because they were capable of so much more.
    There's plenty I don't mind about it: I don't hate the conversation with Moneypenny, the gadget gags are fun and their final payoff with the flamethrower is kind of triumphant (and I rather love Craig's Bond talking to himself), I even like the old guy in the Fiat gag. But the constant choreographed sliding like they're on ice make them look like they're dancing rather than chasing, and it never steps up a gear.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I would much rather the Aston sequence from TLD!

It's my favorite too.

As for this round my vote for worst Bond car chase goes to:

Taxi Driver freaks out in Paris from AVTAK

Despite the glamourous location and John Barry's usually excellent scoring the editing between Moore and his stunt doubles during this sequence is simply atrocious here.
    @PrinceKamalKhan @Mathis1 I like to have controversy and people talking about those that were snubbed! LOL!

Yes by AVTAK it was getting tough to cover for the fact that Moore was in his late 50's and as such was not very active.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bond helps the Three Blind Mice attend a funeral from DN for the Klebbie.

I take big points for the strange zoomed in rear projection here, especially as there is real footage when Bond first gets to Jamaica and is being followed with no rear projection being used.
    In addition, it has the over the top steering mannerisms they used to have in older films where in reality Bond would have wrecked his car from the wild swerving motions.
    Okay I am going to keep the voting open for a bit longer! We have a real close race going on. See what I did there? It's car chase and I said race! LOL!

Keep voting dear academy and I shall compile and award tomorrow!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The worst is surely the BMW parking lot chase in TND? Of the nominated, the prize goes to DAF without doubt. I love the scenes in AVTAK and SP.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 565
    Am I the only one who finds the QOS chase thrilling? Love the location and Bond's quick thinking in the tunnels. And cmon... that intro!!!

As far as the worst goes, Dr. No makes me cringe the most followed by AVTAK. I can handle technology limitations (rear projection), but I can't accept things like squealing tires on gravel roads or a car chopped in half and functioning without issue (at least leaking fluids or something!!). I agree SP is dull and perhaps my favorite part is where the old guy is pushed to his parking spot, however it is very clear they weren't going 70+ mph. Having to spell out things like "music enabled for 009" kinda ruins it for me as well.
    I’m with you on QOS for sure. Having just finished watching Spectre I can say the car chase wasn’t as bad as it was in my head and there are a few good moments in there to enjoy.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    The SP car chase is designed largely to be a comedy/exposition scene. Most people who dislike seem to wish it had been designed to be a different kind of sequence. I quite enjoy it.

For me it's DN. Sean's driving acting is atrocious, and the zoomed in rear projection was not in any way the best that could be done in 1962. Even if you think the age is the problem, and that's just what movies looked like at the time, then they shouldn't have done the scene at all. It's all horrible.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The worst is surely the BMW parking lot chase in TND?

Why? It’s brilliant.

The SP car chase is designed largely to be a comedy/exposition scene. Most people who dislike seem to wish it had been designed to be a different kind of sequence. I quite enjoy it.

For me it's DN. Sean's driving acting is atrocious, and the zoomed in rear projection was not in any way the best that could be done in 1962. Even if you think the age is the problem, and that's just what movies looked like at the time, then they shouldn't have done the scene at all. It's all horrible.

Around that time Hitchcock had been doing car action scenes almost entirely with back projection too. See North By Northwest or To Catch A Thief.