And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actor...page 134

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    For Your Eyes Only not only deserves a nomination, it deserves the title by a long shot. Sheena easton showing up to lip synch the song?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Okay we have tabulated the run-off vote and in a squeaker the Klebbie is awarded to Maurice Binder for LTK.

LTK had 4 votes
    SP 3 votes

Thanks for your participation. We will be now awarding a Bondie that came to us from another academy member! @NickTwentyTwo has suggested the following Category for the esteemed academy to consider!

Best villain monologue/plot reveal! And the nominees are:
    • Auric Goldfinger to the "hoods convention" in Goldfinger
    • Dr No to Bond during an elegant dinner for 3 in Dr. No
    • Silva to Bond when he reveals himself on the island with the rat story
    • Stromberg to Bond and Amasova explaining that he intends to take no ransom
    • Alec Trevelyan to Bond explaining how his Cossack blood will ruin London

So my esteemed Academy members. Who takes home the prize for best Monologue Villain plot reveal...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TWINE: "It's my oil! Mine!"

J/k.

I vote for GF. Iconic for a reason. "Except crime!"
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Trevelyan. ;)
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Trevelyan, athough I really like every monologue on this list.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Dr. No
    Although only my 5th favorite Bond film, Joseph Wiseman’s Dr. No is hands down my favorite main Bond villain and the dinner scene is the highlight of the movie.
    Excellent dialogue is further elevated by Wiseman’s masterful delivery and it doesn’t hurt that it’s the first time we get to hear:
    - I’m a member of SPECTERR
    - SPECTRE?
    - SPECTERR...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Cor there's some good stuff there. Dr No most certainly, and the Goldfinger one is wonderful too...

But I've got to go for Silva's rat story. He plays it so wonderfully, and it's so fascinating to watch with the very long walk to camera... it's a great bit of moviemaking in so many ways. Script, performance, set design, photography, sound and direction all working perfectly to create a totally magnetic moment. It's brilliant.
  • thedove wrote: »
    Okay we have tabulated the run-off vote and in a squeaker the Klebbie is awarded to Maurice Binder for LTK.

LTK had 4 votes
    SP 3 votes

Thanks for your participation. We will be now awarding a Bondie that came to us from another academy member! @NickTwentyTwo has suggested the following Category for the esteemed academy to consider!

Best villain monologue/plot reveal! And the nominees are:
    • Auric Goldfinger to the "hoods convention" in Goldfinger
    • Dr No to Bond during an elegant dinner for 3 in Dr. No
    • Silva to Bond when he reveals himself on the island with the rat story
    • Stromberg to Bond and Amasova explaining that he intends to take no ransom
    • Alec Trevelyan to Bond explaining how his Cossack blood will ruin London

So my esteemed Academy members. Who takes home the prize for best Monologue Villain plot reveal...

DN, GF, and SF are the leading contenders to my mind. Hard to choose between them, actually. I guess I'll give it to GF for his visual aid: the model of Fort Knox (with Bond peering out of it while AG gives his monologue) never fails to tickle me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Dr No to Bond during an elegant dinner for 3 in Dr. No
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    All of them are great. However the Dr. No monologue is beyond classic.
    "Now they only eat rat" *chills. Silva by far. The others are great too, but nothing can top Silva's entrance for me.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Silva.

That was just an epic villain entrance. I always loved the echo in the room as he walks closer into frame from far away. Like a disembodied ghost from the past coming into sharp focus.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Silva.
    Since I didn't put the nominees this time I shall weigh in for a vote! All are good choices. But I love the dinner scene between Bond and Dr. No. So much revealed about the character in that scene. I love the emotions that are shared by him without raising a voice and getting demonstrative. So my vote is DN and the elegant dinner for 3.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Of the 005 options given my vote goes to:

But my true top two picks for this category are these 002 unnominated ones:

and

and

In my original suggestion, "I mean what I say, and I'll do what I claim" was the sixth nominee: one for each actor, -1 for Dalton and +1 for Connery.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I must be in the minority, soon as Silva appears in SF the film is all down hill for me.
    Sorry about that @NickTwentyTwo I'm trying to keep it to no more then 5 nominees. I am not so much trying to balance between each Bond but by the top 5 that meet the criteria. Based on Stromberg getting no votes I should have put The OHMSS into the mix. :)

edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    thedove wrote: »
    Sorry about that @NickTwentyTwo I'm trying to keep it to no more then 5 nominees. I am not so much trying to balance between each Bond but by the top 5 that meet the criteria. Based on Stromberg getting no votes I should have put The OHMSS into the mix. :)

Don’t be! The 5 you picked are great (you didn’t omit the best one ;) )
    Just wanted to give some love to Savalas.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Give me Silva. The build up into that monalogue and the style of delivery really set him up as a terrifying villain.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DN. The first time has never been topped.
  • ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    Kinda hard choices with these. I'd go for DN....just because it set the template for what was to come after. Trevelyan is great as well but Julius wins this one.

Honorable mentions:
    I'd definitely give a honorable mention to Red Grant in FRWL. When the mask falls off and he reveals himself to Bond, we get insight into his psychopathic mind. Before, it was just his actions/killing and his cheery take on a British agent. His monologue to Bond is the first time we really see his thoughts put into words.

Kananga - pretty much that whole scene in his chamber, from when the lights go on until he's screaming at Solitaire. Yaphet Kotto really sells the villainy here, firstly in a relaxed manner never showing Bond that he got under his skin. Then he erupts once Bond is out of the room. I see how he can play both the island diplomat and Harlem drug lord. A complex character that is unfortunately never explored further.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Trevelyan for me.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The vote from the DRP goes to No ... Dr No *waves to Sister Lily and Sister Rose*
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

and

P.S. Honorable mention to this 003rd unnominated option:

In my original suggestion, "I mean what I say, and I'll do what I claim" was the sixth nominee: one for each actor, -1 for Dalton and +1 for Connery.

Which Dalton one?

A tight race so far. Voting will proceed with all of our nominated films getting some love except for TSWLM. Maybe I should have gone with OHMSS instead.

@NickTwentyTwo didn't have a Dalton villain in the list, he provided me with 6 nominees and then I carved it to 5. :)
    GF for nostalgia. When I was 10 years old I made a model of Fort Knox out of a cereal box and looked through the windows like Bond did. Happy days
    I must be in the minority, soon as Silva appears in SF the film is all down hill for me.

Probably a lone voice here but I don’t think Silva’s entrance is very good. He has to walk sooo sloooowly to give himself enough time for his story, he’s taking little baby steps. The audio puts me off too, he should be shouting given how far away he is at the beginning. It’s a cool idea but I think the execution is a bit off.

Off topic, as it’s a novel, but Grant’s exposition to Bond in Fleming’s FRWL in the train carriage, with him explaining the Spektor, the voyeur film, the Orient Express, the whole shebang to a trapped and doomed Bond, is the single best exposition scene I have ever read