Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

1373839404143»

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    While perhaps not about the eponymous man himself, Treadstone has been canceled by Fox after just one season. No surprise there, can't believe it was greenlit in the first place.
    I never could get myself to give it a try, my faith in tv series is very low. I would love another Greengrass Bourne movie, if they finally ditched the flashback thing. JB already could have done as well without it, as much as I love that film.

Too bad Treadstone was not all bad it contained some excellent storylines. So the series remains without a solution.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I enjoyed the first few episodes so that seems a shame.

I think the last movie showed that it's run out of steam now, sadly. I loved them at the time but there really is nowhere for the story to go any more and weirdly I don't enjoy them as much as I used to.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I still love the first three. The first in particular has that wonderful Cold War era spy feel while still being very modern.

The last one had good action but the story was utter pants. I haven't seen any of Treadstone yet and now that it has been cancelled I likely won't.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Supremacy was my favourite: it's just got tremendous pace and energy and is even better than the first I think. You say the last one had a pants story, but I think the third one did too really! And yet it manages to be pretty great despite that, quite impressive really.
    I found Jason Bourne actually quite a good sequel and it showed the scary world of modern media and how it could be used to track somebody and hunt somebody. I would not mind another Bourne movie with Matt they are still very good and the action-scenes are actually excellent and look like nothing somebody else has delivered.
    The chase through Athens was brilliant and when it is over you are only 376 minutes into the movie, it feels like it lasted much longer and is indeed an adrenaline high scene, like the assassination in the British trainstation an impressive long action-scene was. The Bourne series does know how to create great actionscenes, something that has been lacking in the recent 007 movies.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Supremacy is indeed pretty fantastic. It's extremely well balanced and Bourne's redemptive motivation is genuinely involving but in a subtle way.

I actually think the third wrapped things up pretty nicely, storywise. Never had too much issue with it on that front - save for the obvious seasonal differences between it and its predecessor despite them overlapping timewise; though, arguably, that's a production issue moreso than a scripting one. I agree overall though, it's great too.
    For me Jason Bourne was a movie what happened after he found everything out about who he was and how could he remain alive.
    And then it turns out there was more betrayal but not just by the designers of Treadstone but also those people who valued the truth over the lives involved, like Jason Bournes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yes I guess that's what I mean: story-wise the third one sort of feels like an epilogue stretched to movie length for me. That it works so well is kind of amazing.

The story is really over at the end of the first movie, and they came up with such a clever way of bringing him back into the fight in Supremacy (someone is blaming him for their crimes), but it was a struggle to do that again. They had to kind of keep ripping off the mask of who's really really behind it all.

I do rather like the seasonal changes though! I think it's great you see New York in summer and winter in it.
    I like the four with Matt Damon a lot and the one with Hawkeye as a Treadstone operative from a similar program was actually quite good. I would not mind another one, and even enjoyed Treadstone.
    Like the Ludlum books and dislike the Lusterbader sequels.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Too bad Treadstone was not all bad it contained some excellent storylines. So the series remains without a solution.

Sadly that’s true of many shows. They end a season on a cliffhanger, or with untied loose ends at least, and then the show doesn’t get renewed, and that’s that.

I’d prefer it they wrapped up everything at the end of a season, to give a bit of emotional closure, and started each next season from scratch.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's why shows need to be more confident and certain in their ratings and viewership before they decide to end every season on a cliffhanger - not all seasons need to end that way and it only robs viewers of a proper conclusion if it's eventually canceled.
    It's why shows need to be more confident and certain in their ratings and viewership before they decide to end every season on a cliffhanger - not all seasons need to end that way and it only robs viewers of a proper conclusion if it's eventually canceled.

true this
    While perhaps not about the eponymous man himself, Treadstone has been canceled by Fox after just one season. No surprise there, can't believe it was greenlit in the first place.

I have the ten erpisodes on my TiVo I will watch them at somepoint
    SaintMark wrote: »

true this

I suppose it can be easier said than done, though, too, since some of these shows are going to be completed in full before releasing on television. Still, surely someone should've realized a niche Bourne spinoff on USA Television wasn't going to bring in millions and millions of viewers.
    Well I still enjoyed the show sadly no sequel.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Should I watch Threadstone? I'm a Bourne (films) fan, but I haven't read the books. I've got a lot of stuff to watch these days, so I'm only going to watch TS if there's a strong endorsement from you guys. :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Should I watch Threadstone? I'm a Bourne (films) fan, but I haven't read the books. I've got a lot of stuff to watch these days, so I'm only going to watch TS if there's a strong endorsement from you guys. :)

Treadstone is less about Bourne but the program that created Bourne, he does not feature in it. As Bourne fan I would say it is worth your time.
    Edward Berger (who recently directed the fantastic All Quiet on the Western Front), has been tapped to direct a new Bourne installment, with Matt Damon's involvement currently unknown until a script has been produced:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/new-jason-bourne-movie-all-quiet-on-the-western-fronts-edward-berger-1235630286/
  • As someone who consider the first three with Damon to be amongst the greatest action films ever made, I do wonder how they’ll go about continuing this series now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, I loved it, but the last one felt like a film too far and I’m not sure there’s much left in the tank. Bourne was of his time I think.
  • There are many Bourne novels.
    I wouldn't mind another Bourne movie, I do like Matt Damon in the role. Then again? I wouldn't mind another BOND movie asap too! =))
    edited February 9 Posts: 40,369
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind another Bourne movie, I do like Matt Damon in the role. Then again? I wouldn't mind another BOND movie asap too! =))

You're in luck! (in case you missed it)

https://deadline.com/2023/11/new-jason-bourne-movie-all-quiet-on-the-western-fronts-edward-berger-1235630286/

I'm eager to see how this unfolds.

For a moment i thought you were on about Bond?!!! Must be suffering from Bourne memory? :))

For a moment i thought you were on about Bond?!!! Must be suffering from Bourne memory? :))

I wish we had some Bond news! But yeah, Berger's version of All Quiet on the Western Front was brilliant so his involvement has me super optimistic.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    If Damon comes back will there be puppetry is my question.