Misconceptions and false memories: Our wrong ideas from we weren't familiar with Bond.

13»

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 5,774
    For a while, I believed that Rick Van Nutter was playing Blofeld in Thunderball. The reason is tht I hadnt seen the movie yet (it was in the seventies) and all I had was the poster for the movie, found on the inside of the sleeve jacket of the soundtrack, and no reference book (pre-internet days, remember ? Today, a trip to Wikipedia would have avoided that misconception).

I also thought that the theme for The Man with a Golden Arm was the theme for TMWTGG, until I saw the movie. But for that, I blame my classmate who made us listen to the band Sweet's version of Elmer Bernstein's theme, telling us it was from one movie instead of the other.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,009
    About TMWGG... I wonder if the Alice Cooper song was really supposed to be in the movie. This very morning I've been tempted to set it to Maurice Binder's credits (somebody has done it on Youtube anyway).

Steeeveeeen...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,399
    About TMWGG... I wonder if the Alice Cooper song was really supposed to be in the movie. This very morning I've been tempted to set it to Maurice Binder's credits (somebody has done it on Youtube anyway).

Steeeveeeen...

he claims it was.. but it could've been a similar situation like Johnny Cash with TB where they probably reached out to a couple different artists, and took what they thought was the best one.... or maybe like TND, where they weren't satisfied, and quickly had another artist record a new theme.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For me this thread is moot. My introduction to the concept of Bond was in actually seeing a Bond film at the age of three. I continued through life seeing them (with a couple of exceptions) pretty close to when they were released.

well aint you just special :D :)>-
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, seriously, he is.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I always thought the gun barrel was the sight of a gun and not the barrel. When I heard that the director of the LTK music video thought it was a camera I realized my mistake. :)
    I thought it was a camera myself. But I know what I can blame : the scene was parodied in the first installment of the adventures of Steve Pops :

PlancheA_34519.jpg
    Well, until relatively recently I thought the gunbarrel was just a matte painting, not a real gunbarrel attached to a camera.
  • mrlynxmrlynx Maine
    I have a false memory from when I first watched TLD on a rented VHS that was probably from the first run of its home release.
    At the beginning of the winter car chase, either directly before or after Bond lasers the police car, he types a message on his gadget console that is projected onto the rear window in the crawling format for the pursuing police to see. It says something to the degree of "we're innocent." The cops ignore it and Bond makes some crack about local police forces.
    I've no clue where this came from, I just remember being surprised when the scene wasn't there the next time I saw TLD.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    thedove wrote: »
    I always thought the gun barrel was the sight of a gun and not the barrel.

+1 I reckon it was years before I twigged, and then only when someone told me
    mrlynx wrote: »
    I have a false memory from when I first watched TLD on a rented VHS that was probably from the first run of its home release.
    At the beginning of the winter car chase, either directly before or after Bond lasers the police car, he types a message on his gadget console that is projected onto the rear window in the crawling format for the pursuing police to see. It says something to the degree of "we're innocent." The cops ignore it and Bond makes some crack about local police forces.
    I've no clue where this came from, I just remember being surprised when the scene wasn't there the next time I saw TLD.

That's because it was never in TLD. In fact, it comes from the movie Murderer's Row, where Matt Helm (Dean Martin) and his lady friend (Sweden's best export Ann Margret) try to escape the french police.
    A good illustration of how tricky and deceitful memory can be!
  • mrlynxmrlynx Maine
    That's because it was never in TLD. In fact, it comes from the movie Murderer's Row, where Matt Helm (Dean Martin) and his lady friend (Sweden's best export Ann Margret) try to escape the french police.[/quote]

Aha! I do remember seeing clips of that movie on TV around the same time. Interesting reach my brain made bridging Dean Martin to Timothy Dalton!

Gerard wrote: »
    mrlynx wrote: »

That's because it was never in TLD. In fact, it comes from the movie Murderer's Row, where Matt Helm (Dean Martin) and his lady friend (Sweden's best export Ann Margret) try to escape the french police.

This one is lovely! It's so fun to share these false memories.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Watching Skyfall now, and in my mind the lady who opens the train door for Bond after he jumps onto the train in Temple Station is the franchise' first ever Barbara Broccoli cameo. They look quite similar to me and every time I see it I think 'would have been cool'.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    I was like eight or nine years old but I assumed elliot Carver died in the helicopter explosion in bike chase. Even at age 9 I thought surely there can't be anymore action. So for years that's where that movie ended for me! 😂😂
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,834
    When I was really young I used to think that the Miss Taro sequence from Dr. No and the Bonita sequence from Goldfinger were the same. I somehow merged them in my mind.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    OHMSS-
    Tracy and Teresa are two different people and are mother and daughter. So the person that Bond rescues is Teresa in the PTS and Bond eventually falls in love throughout the movie is Tracy which is Teresa's daughter. I guess there were scenes where Diana Rigg looked different. I was 11.
    I saw DAF first as a kid, so imagine my surprise when Bond runs into Charles Gray when I saw YOLT the first time. I was yelling at my screen "why can't you tell that is Blofeld'?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    STLCards3 wrote: »
    I saw DAF first as a kid, so imagine my surprise when Bond runs into Charles Gray when I saw YOLT the first time. I was yelling at my screen "why can't you tell that is Blofeld'?

Don't worry. It was just one of his doubles. ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Watching Skyfall now, and in my mind the lady who opens the train door for Bond after he jumps onto the train in Temple Station is the franchise' first ever Barbara Broccoli cameo. They look quite similar to me and every time I see it I think 'would have been cool'.

Does that mean BB is effectively TB's Blofeld?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Barbara was in TLD, at the opera with MGW. As far as I'm aware this is her only cameo in the Bond films.