Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    That’s a good point @HASEROT, but I’m on the side that would rather wait 5-7 years and get great Bond games than get good Bond games ever 2-3 years. Definitely pros to each side but that’s just how I feel.

i'm 35 going to be 36.. i would like to get more than 2 Bond games before i die :))
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    HASEROT wrote: »
    That’s a good point @HASEROT, but I’m on the side that would rather wait 5-7 years and get great Bond games than get good Bond games ever 2-3 years. Definitely pros to each side but that’s just how I feel.

i'm 35 going to be 36.. i would like to get more than 2 Bond games before i die :))

:)) A nice broad selection of great Bond games would be most ideal. And we have some good ones now too, but I'm definitely hungry for some more modern Bond games.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

:)) A nice broad selection of great Bond games would be most ideal. And we have some good ones now too, but I'm definitely hungry for some more modern Bond games.

likewise.. i remembering being very hyped for 007 Legends, but that was such a major disappointment.. the overall look of the game was fine, but it was such a missed opportunity to not bring back the former Bonds to use their likenesses and their voices for their respective films.. i know it would've cost a mountain of money to pull that off - but from a fans perspective, being able to have all the Bonds in 1 game would've been epic.
    I think I remember hearing on a James Bond and Friends podcast that EA were eyeing up Roger Moore for a Bond game set between TSWLM and MR. That would have been brilliant!
    A few points

1. Yes EA was going to do a Roger Moore bond game... untill they found out the could indeed get Sean Connery back then it was him and bye bye a video game adaptation of Moonraker...

2. I see all this hate toward telltale and while I don’t love their game (season 1 of Batman while flawed was a lot of fun ... season 2 on the other hand) but let’s look at two different scenarios

A. Solstice while going into development isn’t released or finished and telltale goes belly up meaning we haven’t had a full Bond game since 2012

B: solstice happens and brings telltale a decent amount of revenue the game while point and click is fun and allows the fans who play it to discuss their choice and why they felt Bond would do this action over that or say this line over that leading to a few fun arguments on the forum but overall some good discussion in 2017 the profits for Telltales second Bond game Forever and A day based on the new novel does even better interest in 007 games improves and Ubisoft decides they want to try their hand at 007 and give us Colonel Sun featuring the voice and likeness of Daniel Craig in 2020 and not to be out done Shatterhand using the unused script from 1991 Ubisoft finally gives us a third Dalton adventure featuring his voice and likeness in 2022

Yeah you guys are right really dodged a bullet there sigh
    As much as I love the From Russia With Love game, Roger Moores movies were more suited to be adapted into video games.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    Every one of the films adapted in 007: Legends could've and should've been it's own game.

@2Wint2Kidd I don't know if this is what JB&F were referencing, but Moore was approached for Agent Under Fire.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,399
    Risico007 wrote: »
    A few points

1. Yes EA was going to do a Roger Moore bond game... untill they found out the could indeed get Sean Connery back then it was him and bye bye a video game adaptation of Moonraker...

2. I see all this hate toward telltale and while I don’t love their game (season 1 of Batman while flawed was a lot of fun ... season 2 on the other hand) but let’s look at two different scenarios

A. Solstice while going into development isn’t released or finished and telltale goes belly up meaning we haven’t had a full Bond game since 2012

B: solstice happens and brings telltale a decent amount of revenue the game while point and click is fun and allows the fans who play it to discuss their choice and why they felt Bond would do this action over that or say this line over that leading to a few fun arguments on the forum but overall some good discussion in 2017 the profits for Telltales second Bond game Forever and A day based on the new novel does even better interest in 007 games improves and Ubisoft decides they want to try their hand at 007 and give us Colonel Sun featuring the voice and likeness of Daniel Craig in 2020 and not to be out done Shatterhand using the unused script from 1991 Ubisoft finally gives us a third Dalton adventure featuring his voice and likeness in 2022

Yeah you guys are right really dodged a bullet there sigh

your point about Telltale is based purely on hyperbole and a lot of big IFs.... but let's look at the flip side - and thats Telltale doing a Bond game that is universally dismissed, critically panned, and damages the IP even more than Activision did... if what you say is possible, then it's equally as possible that they produce a real dud...

but i get it, having any kind of Bond game is better than none - the thirst for one is real... but there is a reason Telltale went belly up, their games either didn't sell enough to sustain business or they were severely mismanaged - either way, i dont want the Bond license with a studio like that... so i'll stand pat by my statement that we dodged a bullet..
    btw... finally blew the dust off my old Gamecube and played Everything Or Nothing for the first time in probably about 15 years.. i wanted to record and share the intro lol.. i remember when i first played this years ago, and this came up - i got all giddy like a child - it was like playing a movie..

And apart from Playground games adding some Bond dlc (which again they had to have some claim to some licence in order to be able to do that hell 007.com promoted the game for crying out loud) telltale was the only developer actively trying to get the 007 License
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,693
    delfloria wrote: »
    Wake me up when someone announces a VR 007 adventure.

That would be amazing. “I Expect You to Die” is certainly Bond inspired, but it’s basically just puzzle solving.

Sure IETD is an escape room format but just the credit sequence, including the song, shows just how amazing an official Bond VR adventure would be. As a Bond fan IETD is a must see, or is that must experience.
    two things
    1. https://www.fortressofsolitude.co.za/james-bond-007-video-games/ another write up of how we miss bond games

2. there is now a rumored season 3 of Batman telltale in the works if ti comes true could 007 Solstice not be far behind?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    New images of the never released game, Tomorrow Never Dies: The Mission Continues.
    Guys I'm so desperate for Bond games that I hooked up my PS3 and booted up 007 Legends for the first time since 2012/13
    Thanks for the share
  • ChriskarrChriskarr Spain
    edited May 2020 Posts: 46
    Amazing BMW_with_missiles. At first glance, the video game seems superior to the one they finally released. It seems to have more variety. I don't understand why EA decided to change it. I wish someday we could play this version, on PC or Playstation.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think a video game would be the best thing for the 60th if they do enough with it and make a big enough deal about it.

From this I would (if I was EON) partner up with some video game developer and create an original James Bond video game series with an original James Bond voice actor who can just do the video games, and leave whoever is the Bond in the next era to do the movies.

It would bridge the gap between No Time to Die and whenever Bond 26 is in our laps, while also offering something new for the fans that could be incredibly successful.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    Guys I'm so desperate for Bond games that I hooked up my PS3 and booted up 007 Legends for the first time since 2012/13

I remember I pre ordered that game using saved up money as a 10 year old. I was so disappointed that I vowed never to pay full price for a bond game again. I was never rewarded with an opportunity to make good on that promise. And now I probably would be first in line to get a new bond game, if one was ever made.
  • A new Bond game up to the standard of the Unchartered series, Jedi Fallen Order or Red Dead Redemption would be a dream come true.

Maybe one day, eh?

I remember I pre ordered that game using saved up money as a 10 year old. I was so disappointed that I vowed never to pay full price for a bond game again. I was never rewarded with an opportunity to make good on that promise. And now I probably would be first in line to get a new bond game, if one was ever made.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    A new Bond game up to the standard of the Unchartered series, Jedi Fallen Order or Red Dead Redemption would be a dream come true.

Maybe one day, eh?

Exactly. Not sure of the shape they're in now, but a Bond game from Naughty Dog or Rockstar in their primes would have been amazing.
    I'm playing through the campaign again. It's been said a million times but it's just a poor COD clone. It has some good music appropriate to the films and occasional fun moments but yeah...wow. Also I can no longer get the Skyfall dlc but I remember being very let down by it. Also the fact they didn't use the 3rd act of Skyfall for a level where there's a big helicopter crash and Bond is ACTUALLY going around with a machine gun...is incredibly short sighted
    I'm playing through the campaign again. It's been said a million times but it's just a poor COD clone. It has some good music appropriate to the films and occasional fun moments but yeah...wow. Also I can no longer get the Skyfall dlc but I remember being very let down by it. Also the fact they didn't use the 3rd act of Skyfall for a level where there's a big helicopter crash and Bond is ACTUALLY going around with a machine gun...is incredibly short sighted

The only way to play the Skyfall levels now is on the Wii U. It’s actually included on the game disk. It’s the only reason that I own this game on both PS3 and Wii U.
    Btw I have been playing a lot of Quantum of solace now that I beat my brother in achievements and man was that game fun

The only way to play the Skyfall levels now is on the Wii U. It’s actually included on the game disk. It’s the only reason that I own this game on both PS3 and Wii U.

I remmber playing that level on Xbox 360 when the game came out in 2012 it was a dlc you could download back then. I was never able to beat the boss in that level and gave up the game was a big disapoitment and prob the worse 007 game I have ever played.
    Mazouni wrote: »

I remmber playing that level on Xbox 360 when the game came out in 2012 it was a dlc you could download back then. I was never able to beat the boss in that level and gave up the game was a big disapoitment and prob the worse 007 game I have ever played.

I eventually figured out that there’s unbreakable glass panels that you’re supposed to crouch behind. They crack but don’t shatter.
    A new Bond game up to the standard of the Unchartered series, Jedi Fallen Order or Red Dead Redemption would be a dream come true.

Maybe one day, eh?

at this point, i'd be happy with just about anything lol... but if we aren't seeking perfection, then i could live with a Bond game akin to Hitman or Assassin's Creed in style and gameplay......

my main issue with a developer like Telltale doing a Bond game is that their games are primary so story centric, that the action is very limited.. they remind me of the old Choose Your Own Adventure books, but in video game form.. which, isn't a bad thing.. but in the case of a Bond game, i want to feel like I AM Bond - not merely choosing a dialog option, moving to another location to perform a QTE, then another dialog option... thats why i feel like Hitman, is about the closest thing to a Bond game i've played, that feels like Bond, without it actually being Bond... now, i wouldn't want 007 going through the same spiel with having to change into costumes or other people's clothes to sneak around.. but the stealth tactics, and the way to slip past, distract, and take out guards and enemies is directly on point with what i personally want in a 007 game.. combine that with some action and driving sequences, then i think you're cooking with gas lol..
  • mgeoff88mgeoff88 At a nice safehouse in Rome... Erm... Bay Area, CA
    edited May 2020 Posts: 50
    Unfortunately, I think EON is still feeling burned from that horrible 007 mobile game, and are against greenlighting another game.

It’s a shame though, because if they worked with a AAA game developer, we could get a great James Bond game for modern consoles. I’ve even been thinking about how they could do a modern game, lately.

The Uncharted and Tomb Raider games would be good templates to follow. You make it a third-person, action/adventure game, where each location contains a hub area to explore and give it an open-world feel. Your incentive for exploring an area would be rewards from Q in the form of gadget upgrades and new weapons and gadgets for your current car. You could also conduct further recon before starting a mission to unlock additional objectives that will grant you special rewards (Bond suits, weapons, and gadgets from all eras of movies) when completed.

Pretty much, the ultimate James Bond simulator, where you could choose to play as Bond your way based on your playstyle (stealthy, non-lethal when feasible) and how you interact with allies and enemies (less cold, more charming).
    mgeoff88 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think EON is still feeling burned from that horrible 007 mobile game, and are against greenlighting another game.

i think it might be the same reason for both sides of the aisle..

i think EON, after the disastrous sales of both Blood Stone and 007 Legends, might be a little reluctant to jump back into the video game market at this time.. and who knows, maybe they are waiting until the next Bond actor is announced, to start fresh.. because Craig has gotten 4 games (QOS, GE/GE:RL, BS, 007L)..

on the other hand, there probably just aren't a lot of suitors lining up for the 007 IP at the moment.. like i said before, movie tie-in games are as untouchable to devs these days as a nuclear waste dump... now, what games like Spider-man on PS4 and Jedi Fallen Order are showing, is that you can take a movie based IP, and do your own thing with it and fans and gamers will eat it up..... this is, i believe, the inevitable future for 007 games should they return.. they may feature the voice and likeness of whoever is Bond at the time on the big screen, but they'll need to be their own standalone stories, with loose connections to the films... we got that most recently with BS, which was a great game - but the marketing it for it was crap, and it was released at the same exact time as the GE remake was for the Wii.. it's like Activision were either unfathomably stupid, or they just didn't care... my hunch is that they favored the GE remake more than BS - as you could see that the GE remake, especially with ReLoaded, had a bit more polish to it than BS did.. also BS felt rushed in a lot of areas, and some levels felt very repetitive..
  • mgeoff88 wrote: »
    The Uncharted and Tomb Raider games would be good templates to follow. You make it a third-person, action/adventure game, where each location contains a hub area to explore and give it an open-world feel. Your incentive for exploring an area would be rewards from Q in the form of gadget upgrades and new weapons and gadgets for your current car. You could also conduct further recon before starting a mission to unlock additional objectives that will grant you special rewards (Bond suits, weapons, and gadgets from all eras of movies) when completed.

Pretty much, the ultimate James Bond simulator, where you could choose to play as Bond your way based on your playstyle (stealthy, non-lethal when feasible) and how you interact with allies and enemies (less cold, more charming).

This is exactly what I was thinking, @mgeoff88. Surely it’s got to happen one day?

now, what games like Spider-man on PS4 and Jedi Fallen Order are showing, is that you can take a movie based IP, and do your own thing with it and fans and gamers will eat it up..... this is, i believe, the inevitable future for 007 games should they return.. they may feature the voice and likeness of whoever is Bond at the time on the big screen, but they'll need to be their own standalone stories, with loose connections to the films... we got that most recently with BS, which was a great game - but the marketing it for it was crap

This is a really good point I think, @HASEROT. Tying the games to a particular film is one of the main problems. You either end up with a so-so game, or it comes out way later than the film (which negates the point of the tie-in in the first place. What we really want is a game in James Bond’s world.
    in the case of a Bond game, i want to feel like I AM Bond - not merely choosing a dialog option, moving to another location to perform a QTE, then another dialog option... thats why i feel like Hitman, is about the closest thing to a Bond game i've played, that feels like Bond, without it actually being Bond... now, i wouldn't want 007 going through the same spiel with having to change into costumes or other people's clothes to sneak around.. but the stealth tactics, and the way to slip past, distract, and take out guards and enemies is directly on point with what i personally want in a 007 game.. combine that with some action and driving sequences, then i think you're cooking with gas lol..

Cheers for the tip on this. Haven’t played a Hitman game in about 15 years, since I had my original X-Box. But I’ll look up one of the newer titles, sounds right up my street.
    mgeoff88 wrote: »

This is exactly what I was thinking, @mgeoff88. Surely it’s got to happen one day?

now, what games like Spider-man on PS4 and Jedi Fallen Order are showing, is that you can take a movie based IP, and do your own thing with it and fans and gamers will eat it up..... this is, i believe, the inevitable future for 007 games should they return.. they may feature the voice and likeness of whoever is Bond at the time on the big screen, but they'll need to be their own standalone stories, with loose connections to the films... we got that most recently with BS, which was a great game - but the marketing it for it was crap

This is a really good point I think, @HASEROT. Tying the games to a particular film is one of the main problems. You either end up with a so-so game, or it comes out way later than the film (which negates the point of the tie-in in the first place. What we really want is a game in James Bond’s world.
    in the case of a Bond game, i want to feel like I AM Bond - not merely choosing a dialog option, moving to another location to perform a QTE, then another dialog option... thats why i feel like Hitman, is about the closest thing to a Bond game i've played, that feels like Bond, without it actually being Bond... now, i wouldn't want 007 going through the same spiel with having to change into costumes or other people's clothes to sneak around.. but the stealth tactics, and the way to slip past, distract, and take out guards and enemies is directly on point with what i personally want in a 007 game.. combine that with some action and driving sequences, then i think you're cooking with gas lol..

Cheers for the tip on this. Haven’t played a Hitman game in about 15 years, since I had my original X-Box. But I’ll look up one of the newer titles, sounds right up my street.

The new Hitman games are definitely worth checking out.