How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,105
    I have largish Creative speakers for my PC, they have good sound though I do run them through an amp.

hero-inspire-t10-v2.jpg?width=750

Those look nice! What kind of amp do you run them through?

I small portable amp I picked up, it's OK for playing music through my PC it gives the sound that extra kick and volume when needed. Can't remember the make off top of my head though is was £15 maybe £20.

Interesting! What kind of of inputs does it have (RCA etc)?

Just an audio jack, I did look at software that boosted the sound etc though the pricing was a joke so bought an amp instead. I also have two sound bars, a portable Bluetooth speaker on my computer desk and an Amazon echo all in my lounge so I can alternatively send PC sound/music via Bluetooth to those.

I see. I guess it's still a good price though!

That's the way I play music from my Macbook whenever I prefer something more than the internal speakers or listening through my headset/earbuds; either via my Marshall Bluetooth speaker or through some of my vintage gear if I connect a Bluetooth device.

I have a pair of small, wooden bookshelf speakers I've not been able to use as much as I want to, so I'm thinking of maybe getting a small amp I can connect to my Macbook one way or the other – and then connect the speakers to the amp. It might be a little impractical with all the speaker wires etc, but I figure the sound will be good.

It should be easy enough to rig your wooden speakers to your Macbook, I have always used external speakers for any computers I have had, internal speakers just don't cut it, I do the same for the tablets I have set up in my lounge and kitchen.

I used to have an antique wooden lp player I often regret throwing it away as it was a great piece of furniture also, I swapped it for a plastic hifi system I was about 12 at the time... We live and learn.

Sorry about the late reply, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! Yes, it looks to be simple enough to get the small wooden speakers up and running with my Macbook, but I'll need a suitable small amp though. I could use one of the vintage ones I have, but they take up a bit of space and are better suited to be placed in a media console rather than on top of a desk. Will have to do a bit of research, but I'm sure I'll find a good small amp eventually!

Do you remember which type of record player it was that you swapped?

My amp for my PC is the size of a packet of Cigarettes...
    FiiO-E10K-1-250x250.jpg
    It's similar to this, of course its dependant on what connection you are using for speakers.
    ---
    $_86.JPG
    The record player I had was similar to this though better, certainly the lid I had was. in fact mine was much better, its really the wood thats the only thing the same.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    I have largish Creative speakers for my PC, they have good sound though I do run them through an amp.

I small portable amp I picked up, it's OK for playing music through my PC it gives the sound that extra kick and volume when needed. Can't remember the make off top of my head though is was £15 maybe £20.

Just an audio jack, I did look at software that boosted the sound etc though the pricing was a joke so bought an amp instead. I also have two sound bars, a portable Bluetooth speaker on my computer desk and an Amazon echo all in my lounge so I can alternatively send PC sound/music via Bluetooth to those.

That's the way I play music from my Macbook whenever I prefer something more than the internal speakers or listening through my headset/earbuds; either via my Marshall Bluetooth speaker or through some of my vintage gear if I connect a Bluetooth device.

I have a pair of small, wooden bookshelf speakers I've not been able to use as much as I want to, so I'm thinking of maybe getting a small amp I can connect to my Macbook one way or the other – and then connect the speakers to the amp. It might be a little impractical with all the speaker wires etc, but I figure the sound will be good.

It should be easy enough to rig your wooden speakers to your Macbook, I have always used external speakers for any computers I have had, internal speakers just don't cut it, I do the same for the tablets I have set up in my lounge and kitchen.

I used to have an antique wooden lp player I often regret throwing it away as it was a great piece of furniture also, I swapped it for a plastic hifi system I was about 12 at the time... We live and learn.

Sorry about the late reply, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! Yes, it looks to be simple enough to get the small wooden speakers up and running with my Macbook, but I'll need a suitable small amp though. I could use one of the vintage ones I have, but they take up a bit of space and are better suited to be placed in a media console rather than on top of a desk. Will have to do a bit of research, but I'm sure I'll find a good small amp eventually!

FiiO-E10K-1-250x250.jpg
    It's similar to this, of course its dependant on what connection you are using for speakers.
    Interesting! The smaller the better really; anything that would keep the desk as tidy as possible. Will have to see if I can find something similar over here!

$_86.JPG
    The record player I had was similar to this though better, certainly the lid I had was. in fact mine was much better, its really the wood thats the only thing the same.

Did the turntable have a built-in amp as well? I have one turntable with a built-in amp from the early 70's. The amplifier is a Tandberg (Norwegian brand), and the turntable is a Garrard (British brand). Not the best turntable to be honest; its auto function doesn't work even if I had the thing repaired, but it works in manual. I've mostly used the amplifier though, which is a quite nice one.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

FiiO-E10K-1-250x250.jpg
    Interesting! The smaller the better really; anything that would keep the desk as tidy as possible. Will have to see if I can find something similar over here!

$_86.JPG

Did the turntable have a built-in amp as well? I have one turntable with a built-in amp from the early 70's. The amplifier is a Tandberg (Norwegian brand), and the turntable is a Garrard (British brand). Not the best turntable to be honest; its auto function doesn't work even if I had the thing repaired, but it works in manual. I've mostly used the amplifier though, which is a quite nice one.

There are alot of inexpensive Amps on ebay that where I got my compact one.

I will try to find a closer image to the Record player I had it was an antique it did have a amp built in under the turn table I recall. Under the turn table it had a grate also.
    CD is my most loved format, because that way I get to have a physical copy and also import it to my iTunes where I can then transfer it to my PC and phone. I can’t get behind streaming services; I want to own my stuff.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    CD is my most loved format, because that way I get to have a physical copy and also import it to my iTunes where I can then transfer it to my PC and phone. I can’t get behind streaming services; I want to own my stuff.

I still do the same as you though I also have streaming devices, its great to walk into any room and just ask an Echo device shuffle my Bond playlist, I can also say Play my Bond playlist everywhere, then Bond will play in every room at the same time.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Uh, with my ears?

Typically I listen to music with Spotify in my car when driving.

FiiO-E10K-1-250x250.jpg

$_86.JPG

There are alot of inexpensive Amps on ebay that where I got my compact one.

I will try to find a closer image to the Record player I had it was an antique it did have a amp built in under the turn table I recall. Under the turn table it had a grate also.

I guess Ebay is the place to look!

Those all-in-one turntables could be quite interesting pieces really. The one I have isn't particularly pretty, but it's very sturdy. I recon with a bit of careful use, it will work fine for a long time.

FoxRox wrote: »

I really like to own my music as well, and most of it is in CD format – but I do like how convenient Spotify and other streaming services are, and I tend to use it more and more.

Octopussy wrote: »
    Uh, with my ears?

Typically I listen to music with Spotify in my car when driving.

Wish I could do the same! Unfortunately I don't have any ways to connect Spotify with the car stereo.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,105
    Just purchased Boom 3D app from Windows its currently got a price reduction. I opted for the 30 day trial first though after a few minutes of testing the app I thought a definite purchase this, I must say I am quite impressed its enhanced my average internal sound quite a lot. Its been on Mac and IOS for some time, Windows 10 is recent it would appear from what I have read.

The 3D sound on my most basic set headphones using the app is good and the sound through my external speakers is noticeably better. I was looking at an external sound card initially though decided on the software route.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/boom3d
    @Torgeirtrap delving deeper into the app its very good indeed getting some excellent sound, you should try the free trial it should be on Apple store.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Using my ears...
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Just purchased Boom 3D app from Windows its currently got a price reduction. I opted for the 30 day trial first though after a few minutes of testing the app I thought a definite purchase this, I must say I am quite impressed its enhanced my average internal sound quite a lot. Its been on Mac and IOS for some time, Windows 10 is recent it would appear from what I have read.

The 3D sound on my most basic set headphones using the app is good and the sound through my external speakers is noticeably better. I was looking at an external sound card initially though decided on the software route.

@Torgeirtrap delving deeper into the app its very good indeed getting some excellent sound, you should try the free trial it should be on Apple store.

Never heard of this app before, I'll have to give it a try. I have decent headphones which I use for my Macbook, but there's no doubt room for improvement on the sound quality. I've thought about an external DAC, but it's not something I want to spend money on right now.
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Using my ears...

Obviously! ;-)

Never heard of this app before, I'll have to give it a try. I have decent headphones which I use for my Macbook, but there's no doubt room for improvement on the sound quality. I've thought about an external DAC, but it's not something I want to spend money on right now.

The free trial on windows is 30 days probably the same on Mac, just playing various different albums I am shocked how good the sound is, just listening to Mission Impossible soundtrack my jaw dropped, I almost spent £160 on a GSX 1000 yesterday, this app just saved me a ton of money, highly recommend.

The free trial on windows is 30 days probably the same on Mac, just playing various different albums I am shocked how good the sound is, just listening to Mission Impossible soundtrack my jaw dropped, I almost spent £160 on a GSX 1000 yesterday, this app just saved me a ton of money, highly recommend.

Oh, that's expensive! Reading a review, the GSX 1000 looks like a good option if you want to stretch to a price like that, and want another device hooked up to your laptop/computer. My headphones are Sennheisers, so I imagine that they would go well with the GSX 1000. I'm looking forward to trying out Boom 3D now that you've written so favourably about it!

I've also been looking at DACs like AudioQuest DragonFly; those DACs are smaller and portable as well, which makes them a great option.

Oh, that's expensive! Reading a review, the GSX 1000 looks like a good option if you want to stretch to a price like that, and want another device hooked up to your laptop/computer. My headphones are Sennheisers, so I imagine that they would go well with the GSX 1000. I'm looking forward to trying out Boom 3D now that you've written so favourably about it!

I've also been looking at DACs like AudioQuest DragonFly; those DACs are smaller and portable as well, which makes them a great option.

GSX 1000 really does look good aesthetically.

Just streaming The Living Daylights on my PC, the Boom 3D is great through my cheap £30 headphones, so much more sound detail when I switch the Boom 3D off the difference is shocking. Next I am going to try my expensive headphones god knows how they will sound.

This App is amazing :))

Edited: Just trying the free trial on my mobile phone, listening to Welcome to Cuba from DAD amazing sound with headphones on, this is the greatest App ever lol

It does, but I'm not too keen on that silver ring which controls the volume. I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to gadgets, so I'd like the look even more if it didn't have that detail.
    Just streaming The Living Daylights on my PC, the Boom 3D is great through my cheap £30 headphones, so much more sound detail when I switch the Boom 3D off the difference is shocking. Next I am going to try my expensive headphones god knows how they will sound.

Edited: Just trying the free trial on my mobile phone, listening to Welcome to Cuba from DAD amazing sound with headphones on, this is the greatest App ever lol

Haven't had time to start my trial of the app yet, but I will do so, hopefully tomorrow!

It does, but I'm not too keen on that silver ring which controls the volume. I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to gadgets, so I'd like the look even more if it didn't have that detail.

Haven't had time to start my trial of the app yet, but I will do so, hopefully tomorrow!
    I try to be a minimalist though fail badly, I have way too much stuff. I have six seperate speakers setups in my lounge alone, definately over kill. I buy gadgets alot lol
    You will have to tell me what you think of Boom when you have tried it.

I try to be a minimalist though fail badly, I have way too much stuff. I have six seperate speakers setups in my lounge alone, definately over kill. I buy gadgets alot lol

I struggle with that too, but make up for it by at least opting for minimalistic looking things. When I bought my Apple TV for example, it's size and look was just as important as the functions. I share your problem with owning too many speakers as well (I could probably do with owning one pair less); at least I've found use for all of them.

I'll let you know how I like the Boom app as soon as I've given it a proper test. ;-)

I struggle with that too, but make up for it by at least opting for minimalistic looking things. When I bought my Apple TV for example, it's size and look was just as important as the functions. I share your problem with owning too many speakers as well (I could probably do with owning one pair less); at least I've found use for all of them.

I'll let you know how I like the Boom app as soon as I've given it a proper test. ;-)

I have read one thing to be aware of with Boom 3D is its unwise to max the sound as it could blow a speaker. Thankfully I never max the volume ever.

If I see a cool Bluetooth speaker I buy it, there are a few I never use now. Since I bought all the echo devices I tend to use them more than anything, though Boom has given me an excuse to listen to music on my PC more often.

I have read one thing to be aware of with Boom 3D is its unwise to max the sound as it could blow a speaker. Thankfully I never max the volume ever.

If I see a cool Bluetooth speaker I buy it, there are a few I never use now. Since I bought all the echo devices I tend to use them more than anything, though Boom has given me an excuse to listen to music on my PC more often.

I can imagine that being a risk with Boom 3D. I downloaded the trial earlier today, but I've only given it a very brief listen. So far very good; some bass heavy tracks almost became too bass heavy, but it's easy to switch between the various modes.

There are many great looking (and sounding) bluetooth speakers on the market – even IKEA have several speakers out now. Some of those look just perfect; minimalistic and a bit retro as well. Don't know how they compare to other speakers and brands though.

I can imagine that being a risk with Boom 3D. I downloaded the trial earlier today, but I've only given it a very brief listen. So far very good; some bass heavy tracks almost became too bass heavy, but it's easy to switch between the various modes.

There are many great looking (and sounding) bluetooth speakers on the market – even IKEA have several speakers out now. Some of those look just perfect; minimalistic and a bit retro as well. Don't know how they compare to other speakers and brands though.

Yeah I find myself switching modes, and switching from 3D to ambience on electronic tracks like Daft Punk. Never the less it's a vast improvement from my PC before. I listen to music on Music Bee and turn off the Music Bee equaliser then just use Boom 3D to alter settings.

Yeah I find myself switching modes, and switching from 3D to ambience on electronic tracks like Daft Punk. Never the less it's a vast improvement from my PC before. I listen to music on Music Bee and turn off the Music Bee equaliser then just use Boom 3D to alter settings.

I've listened some more to Boom 3D today, playing around with the various modes depending on what kind of music I was listening to. The app works really well with everything really – even podcasts. The only drawback is that the keyboard shortcut which turns off the sound of the app, is the same that is used for saving a Photoshop document! Maybe there's a way to change the shortcuts for Boom 3D.
    I love my Marantz material and listening to cd´s or records in an old fashioned way.

I've listened some more to Boom 3D today, playing around with the various modes depending on what kind of music I was listening to. The app works really well with everything really – even podcasts. The only drawback is that the keyboard shortcut which turns off the sound of the app, is the same that is used for saving a Photoshop document! Maybe there's a way to change the shortcuts for Boom 3D.

I had a look previously at hot keys, they can be changed certainly on the Windows version.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,518
    For me it started with CDs, and a portable CD player (that skipped a lot, no doubt). There was a period of time where I had a Sony ATrack3Plus or something, which was a CD player but had software that allowed you to shrink the file size, and put thousands of songs on a single CD.

There was a time where I used a PSP to play music, in college; I actually liked it a lot, used it for that and also playing Burnout on the go.

Then I became an iPhone/iPod guy and had music with iTunes, and listened on the go with an iPhone. This probably accounts for a majority of my music listening.

More recently, I've started using Spotify. I was hesitant at first because I didn't like the idea of having to stream music, and I was worried it wouldn't have all the music I wanted. Streaming music turned out to not be a huge obstacle, and Spotify does have a majority of the music I want to listen to (but not all).

Lately though I've encountered some DRM issues where I built a playlist of 007 songs, and some of the songs have just disappeared, I suppose because Spotify doesn't have the rights anymore. Very frustrating, so I'm contemplating going back to iTunes, just so I know I have the songs permanently (at least more permanently than on Spotify).

Currently I'm using an iPhone SE and listening through Marshall Monitor Bluetooth headphones (although they're plugged in at the moment because the bluetooth on the iPhone SE is not great).

I've always been intrigued by big hifi systems, but I do most of my listening while on the go, and the speakers I use at home do the job. I'm sure it's hard to go back once you experience the type of sound these systems provide though.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I love my Marantz material and listening to cd´s or records in an old fashioned way.

What kind of Marantz gear do you have, @SaintMark? I have heard great things about that brand, but I've yet to try out any products from them.

I had a look previously at hot keys, they can be changed certainly on the Windows version.

Good! I need to find a way to change those settings. Listened some more with the app today, and it's definitely growing on me. I find that I use it more often if I listen on a specific kind of music; if I listen to a playlist with all kinds of genres, I feel the need to switch between the modes. It's not an issue, but it's not something you want to do all the time. Maybe there's a "sweet spot" which works brilliantly for everything.

For me it started with CDs, and a portable CD player (that skipped a lot, no doubt). There was a period of time where I had a Sony ATrack3Plus or something, which was a CD player but had software that allowed you to shrink the file size, and put thousands of songs on a single CD.

There was a time where I used a PSP to play music, in college; I actually liked it a lot, used it for that and also playing Burnout on the go.

Then I became an iPhone/iPod guy and had music with iTunes, and listened on the go with an iPhone. This probably accounts for a majority of my music listening.

More recently, I've started using Spotify. I was hesitant at first because I didn't like the idea of having to stream music, and I was worried it wouldn't have all the music I wanted. Streaming music turned out to not be a huge obstacle, and Spotify does have a majority of the music I want to listen to (but not all).

Lately though I've encountered some DRM issues where I built a playlist of 007 songs, and some of the songs have just disappeared, I suppose because Spotify doesn't have the rights anymore. Very frustrating, so I'm contemplating going back to iTunes, just so I know I have the songs permanently (at least more permanently than on Spotify).

Currently I'm using an iPhone SE and listening through Marshall Monitor Bluetooth headphones (although they're plugged in at the moment because the bluetooth on the iPhone SE is not great).

I've always been intrigued by big hifi systems, but I do most of my listening while on the go, and the speakers I use at home do the job. I'm sure it's hard to go back once you experience the type of sound these systems provide though.

You've followed a similar path like me when it comes to music formats, @NickTwentyTwo. From CD's, to a PSP, iPod – then iPhone, iTunes and finally Spotify. I jumped on Spotify quite early though, and I've stuck with it even if there are other streaming services as well. I've noticed the same issue re. missing tracks; I really hope we'll have all the soundtracks available to stream on Spotify sometime in the future. In the meantime, I use iTunes for everything not available on Spotify.

How's the sound of those Marshall Monitor Bluetooth headphones? I have a Marshall bluetooth speaker I'm really pleased with. It has a lot of power for it's size.

Like you, I'm also intrigued by hifi systems. Price is most definitely an issue, but I'd like to get my hands on a nice system one day. These days though, I play most of my music through my Macbook or iPhone, only playing through external speakers/amps when I really want to listen to music, not just as background sounds. So I'm not sure I'll ever need to upgrade from my current setup, which I'm really happy with.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Love that we both stopped off at PSP along our music journey. :P

The Marshall headphones sound great, enough bass for my tastes for sure, and the standout feature is a physical control knob you move around for volume/track skipping, which is miles above any baked in touchpad controls, IMO. Can't use it when plugged in though, only when Bluetooth is on, which is a shame.

My uncle had a Bose Soundlink II mini speaker and I was always amazed the size and quality of sound that came out of it; bought one for myself and I really enjoy that as well.
    Love that we both stopped off at PSP along our music journey. :P

The Marshall headphones sound great, enough bass for my tastes for sure, and the standout feature is a physical control knob you move around for volume/track skipping, which is miles above any baked in touchpad controls, IMO. Can't use it when plugged in though, only when Bluetooth is on, which is a shame.

My uncle had a Bose Soundlink II mini speaker and I was always amazed the size and quality of sound that came out of it; bought one for myself and I really enjoy that as well.

It was only for a short period, but I probably used the PSP as much for music as for gaming, haha!

That's a nice feature! I don't have a pair of bluetooth headphones, but I might have to get some eventually. The fact that the Marshalls have a physical control knob is a big plus – even if you can only use that feature when it's not plugged in.

I've never listened to the Bose Soundlink II mini speaker before, but I think I read somewhere that it's very impressive for it's size. A friend of mine has a similar one, but I don't think it was a Bose one (JBL perhaps).
    edited June 2020 Posts: 23,105
    My wireless sport headphones have had there day so treated myself to some Bluetooth 5.0 Earpods at sale price, I must say the noise cancellation is excellent, just listening to The End To The Aston Martin now very impressed. The touch sensor controls are spot on, fit very securely in ear and the magnetic charging case is a bonus. I should have bought some of these sooner.

61c2X8z8TAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    My wireless sport headphones have had there day so treated myself to some Bluetooth 5.0 Earpods at sale price, I must say the noise cancellation is excellent, just listening to The End To The Aston Martin now very impressed. The touch sensor controls are spot on, fit very securely in ear and the magnetic charging case is a bonus. I should have bought some of these sooner.

Late reply to this:

I've been thinking about getting myself some airpods as well, but haven't got around to reading up on the various models that are out there. How long does the batteries last on these, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

Late reply to this:

I've been thinking about getting myself some airpods as well, but haven't got around to reading up on the various models that are out there. How long does the batteries last on these, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

The only time I have used them for a long time was for several hours whilst walking, the ear phones themselves were in the mid 80% range after use and the case still had 100% charge.

I very rarely charge the case so a very good battery life. If the pods drop to 80% when back in the case they charge right back up to 100% very quickly.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    My music and how I listen is diversified. :)

Spotify for around the house. I love to create playlists and listen to some of the content on there. I have a premium subscription since I was listening to it so often.

CD's for Elvis deep back catalogue. I am a huge Elvis fan and many of the hard to get tracks and rarities are released on CD. I don't have a ton but a healthy collection.

Albums and 45's. I was smart or dumb enough to save my vinyl collection. I don't listen to them often but they are there when I need them.

Love to listen to music!