No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Contraband wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    The US doesn't have to worry about an AMC fallout since it's not Universal. How big is AMC in Europe? Will this potentially be an issue?

AMC owns the largest cinema chain in Sweden. I have read somewhere that AMC has it hands on several large chains in the EU

Like UCI Cinemas, the largest chain in Italy. AMC has basically hands everywhere.
    antovolk wrote: »
    The US doesn't have to worry about an AMC fallout since it's not Universal. How big is AMC in Europe? Will this potentially be an issue?

AMC owns the largest cinema chain in Sweden. I have read somewhere that AMC has it hands on several large chains in the EU

Yeah, AMC owns Odeon in the UK - second biggest major chain following Regal/Cineworld.

While AMC may have been the ones to take the decisive action right now, I'd imagine Regal/Cineworld, Cinemark, Vue etc are feeling exactly the same. These major chains live and die by the theatrical exclusivity.

But what this does show is that Universal is likely to be on board - if not actually probably pushing for - releasing NTTD on VOD should cinemas still remain closed in November. Because odds of the landscape returning to normal and traditional releases being able to gross as much as they've done before the crisis get lower and lower the longer this goes on.

Equally, unless a model for straight to home or simultaneous releases develops that can earn as much revenue as would be required for a film as expensive as NTTD, should the crisis change the earning potential of traditional theatrical distribution and things really pivot to straight to home, budgets will have to be lower...these 2020/21 films may be the last mega budget blockbusters we see.

I believe Universal will apply this model only to selected titles. Plus, I think they know this Troll World Tour success came under unique circumstances.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Since Craig's Bond is more of a 'Buddy Agent' and considering how minimalistic SP's Finale was, it might have worked better if his only Buddy in the Finale was M....a Sparse Population, would have helped more in achieving Bond's Atmospheric feel....the density of those characters in SP's finale made it somewhat Muddled & visibly Contrived. Thankfully, from what we've seen from NTTD's trailer....that eerie atmosphere is set to return. E.g-Safin Visiting the Cabin, The Norway Sequence, The Visit to Safin's Lair & the Ethereal look of the Lair, etc.

I am probably being a huge curmudgeon, but am I the only one who looks at the NTTD trailer and just sees quite run of the mill action and cinematography? Genuinely, apart from it being a Bond film, and so far more likely for me to give it the benefit of the doubt, I just don't see anything special about any of the shots or snippets we are shown...

I think it looks dull. And, coupled with the doubling down on everything SP did, really doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever.

I disagree with every single word you typed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,009
    matt_u wrote: »

Like UCI Cinemas, the largest chain in Italy. AMC has basically hands everywhere.

Yeah, AMC owns Odeon in the UK - second biggest major chain following Regal/Cineworld.

While AMC may have been the ones to take the decisive action right now, I'd imagine Regal/Cineworld, Cinemark, Vue etc are feeling exactly the same. These major chains live and die by the theatrical exclusivity.

But what this does show is that Universal is likely to be on board - if not actually probably pushing for - releasing NTTD on VOD should cinemas still remain closed in November. Because odds of the landscape returning to normal and traditional releases being able to gross as much as they've done before the crisis get lower and lower the longer this goes on.

Equally, unless a model for straight to home or simultaneous releases develops that can earn as much revenue as would be required for a film as expensive as NTTD, should the crisis change the earning potential of traditional theatrical distribution and things really pivot to straight to home, budgets will have to be lower...these 2020/21 films may be the last mega budget blockbusters we see.

I believe Universal will apply this model only to selected titles. Plus, I think they know this Troll World Tour success came under unique circumstances.

And I think that cinemas are ultimately worried that they'll have no say in what those selected titles are. The circumstances of Trolls success aren't relevant to them right now, they're more worried about the precedent this will set.

This will be a game now. Cinemas obviously need wide releases of sizeable films to survive, but likewise studios need those wide releases for things like FAST 9 and NTTD in order to make a decent return on them. $100-200million on VOD wouldn't cut it, I don't think.

We'll just have to wait and see who blinks first and takes the step into the grey area, at least until 2021/2022 comes knocking.

I said this a couple of months back, but it's not only the way films are distributed that will change; the way they are made/produced will now too.

This will be a game now. Cinemas obviously need wide releases of sizeable films to survive, but likewise studious need those wide releases for things like FAST 9 and NTTD in order to make a decent return on them. $100-200million on VOD wouldn't cut it, I don't think.

We'll just have to wait and see who blinks first and takes the step into the grey area.

Yes, that's the point. Anyway, to me it looks like this virus just accelerated the future.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,686
    What I would also like to know, perhaps @antovolk can answer, is what happens if not only cinemas remain closed, but film/tv productions remain shut too because of the coronavirus?

I posted an article earlier about the UK's Sky channel confirming they are shutting down all of their productions until 2021. This is at least 8 months of hiatus. What happens when streaming services like Netflix & Amazon actually run out of material to release? I doubt even Netflix has enough TV series stored in their database to last that long, if the situation doesn't improve until next year.
    I wonder if AMC will still be a viable business by the time it's acceptable for cinemas to re-open?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I wonder if AMC will still be a viable business by the time it's acceptable for cinemas to re-open?

If cinemas are still closed by the end of the summer, I think we will have a lot bigger problems to worry about. I can't even imagine the state of cinema chains & Hollywood will be in after 5 months of closure. Not forgetting that nearly every major productions are suspended indefinitely too, so by then Netflix & co may run out of new materiel to release.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343

If cinemas are still closed by the end of the summer...

They will...
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    It's almost certain they'll still be closed. At this point, I don't expect NTTD until 2021.
    matt_u wrote: »

If cinemas are still closed by the end of the summer...

They will...

I just use 'if' to avoid certain members getting angry and retorting that 'everything will be fine shortly'. ;-)

But yes, things are not looking good for this summer, or for this fall for that matter.
    Here in Ireland the situation's gone from "everything will be alright in May" to "actually, nothing will change at all".
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,164
    What I would also like to know, perhaps @antovolk can answer, is what happens if not only cinemas remain closed, but film/tv productions remain shut too because of the coronavirus?

I posted an article earlier about the UK's Sky channel confirming they are shutting down all of their productions until 2021. This is at least 8 months of hiatus. What happens when streaming services like Netflix & Amazon actually run out of material to release? I doubt even Netflix has enough TV series stored in their database to last that long, if the situation doesn't improve until next year.

I guess the idea is that everything shakes out, in that the films are delayed just as much because of cinemas being closed but productions being shut, so it's just a case of slates being pushed back by a year. With regards to Netflix, they've commented about this very issue, saying their 2020/21 slate of originals is all in post production so that's no problem for them. But seems like productions are finding a way out of this bit quicker, even with restrictions and so on...Sky halting things until 2021 is an exception at the moment.

The owner of Odeon Cinemas has banned all Universal films after the studio said it will release new movies at home and on the big screen on the same day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52468881

----

China's cinemas expected to reopen in June, Beijing official says.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-cinemas-expected-reopen-june-beijing-official-says-1292369?

That is a 5 months closure. A similar timeframe for US & Europe would bring us to August for a potential re-opening.

EDIT: After carefully re-reading that Hollywood Reporter article, they forgot to mention China has already attempted to re-open their cinemas in late March, only to shut them down completely again a few days later.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Since Craig's Bond is more of a 'Buddy Agent' and considering how minimalistic SP's Finale was, it might have worked better if his only Buddy in the Finale was M....a Sparse Population, would have helped more in achieving Bond's Atmospheric feel....the density of those characters in SP's finale made it somewhat Muddled & visibly Contrived. Thankfully, from what we've seen from NTTD's trailer....that eerie atmosphere is set to return. E.g-Safin Visiting the Cabin, The Norway Sequence, The Visit to Safin's Lair & the Ethereal look of the Lair, etc.

I am probably being a huge curmudgeon, but am I the only one who looks at the NTTD trailer and just sees quite run of the mill action and cinematography? Genuinely, apart from it being a Bond film, and so far more likely for me to give it the benefit of the doubt, I just don't see anything special about any of the shots or snippets we are shown...

I think it looks dull. And, coupled with the doubling down on everything SP did, really doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever.

Yeah, None of us can tell what to really expect from NTTD. But one thing that's Certain is, it's surely going to be better than SP....so that's a huge step forward. And it might sound minor, but another reason my interest in NTTD went a notch higher, is Zimmer's Involvement.

That's a good point about Zimmer. I was a bit overly negative in my post. I mean, the cinematography in the Matera scenes clearly looks incredible. I didnt mean that any of the action or style looked bad, just that it didnt excite me particularly, or look particularly special. Compared the the MI:Fallout trailer, NTTD looks very pedestrian. Different films of course...

The doubling down on the SP concepts though really troubles me to be honest.
    Univex wrote: »
    Wow, Scooby gang, Q on the field with a portable Q-lab with Q-mugs for his Q-tea.

:-B

Sorry, not happy about this. Not one bit. But hey, there'll be plenty of other good stuff in the film, I suppose. I just think Moore's Bond isn't compatible with Craig's Bond. But if they want to make a mix-it-all last film, what can ya do, right?

Yeah just from hearing these remarks about the script, it seems like instead of scaling back from the ridiculousness of SP they decided to turn the knob up a few notches. I have a bad feeling that they didn’t learn lessons from SP.

That's certainly what it looks like. NTTD is a sequel to an unloved film from 5 (maybe 6 when it finally comes out) years ago. Imagine if Goldeneye followed on from LTK and had Bond have to come back to Mi6 from Florida and get reinstated. Bringing Pam Bouvier with him.

The owner of Odeon Cinemas has banned all Universal films after the studio said it will release new movies at home and on the big screen on the same day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52468881

----

China's cinemas expected to reopen in June, Beijing official says.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-cinemas-expected-reopen-june-beijing-official-says-1292369?

That is a 5 months closure. A similar timeframe for US & Europe would bring us to August for a potential re-opening.

EDIT: After carefully re-reading that Hollywood Reporter article, they forgot to mention China has already attempted to re-open their cinemas in late March, only to shut them down completely again a few days later.

Well in China the news about COVID broke in late December. So that would mean 6 months, if they will indeed re-open.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 564
    Wow, Scooby gang, Q on the field with a portable Q-lab with Q-mugs for his Q-tea.

Sorry, not happy about this. Not one bit. But hey, there'll be plenty of other good stuff in the film, I suppose. I just think Moore's Bond isn't compatible with Craig's Bond. But if they want to make a mix-it-all last film, what can ya do, right?

Yeah just from hearing these remarks about the script, it seems like instead of scaling back from the ridiculousness of SP they decided to turn the knob up a few notches. I have a bad feeling that they didn’t learn lessons from SP.

That's certainly what it looks like. NTTD is a sequel to an unloved film from 5 (maybe 6 when it finally comes out) years ago. Imagine if Goldeneye followed on from LTK and had Bond have to come back to Mi6 from Florida and get reinstated. Bringing Pam Bouvier with him.

That argument ignores the current state of blockbuster films. The trend currently is to connect all films within an IP. Looking at Marvel, Star Wars, DC, Fast and Furious, MI and Harry Potter World. All major films must have a through line as the audiences now expect this to a certain extent. Cliffhangers across films and multi part films are becoming the norm. As many have stated Bond movies can act as markers for what film was like at the time of their release. This era is no different, it started with gritty real action after bourne, went to a character driven film with Skyfall and is now ending with interconnected storylines across films. Comparing this to pervious Bond films and eras does not account for what films are like now outside of Bond.

................Or imagine if there had been a 6 year gap after AVTAK and Moore returns circa 1991, following up and his relationship with Stacey Sutton and her cat. Christopher Walken returns as well somehow having survived his tumble from the Golden Gate Bridge.

That was really my biggest reservation on NTTD. I'm feeling Fukunaga has probably injected the film with it's own energy and style that's completely Bondian and different from the previous film. I think the visuals look outstanding.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Q on the field with a portable Q-lab with Q-mugs for his Q-tea.

Just like in AVTAK, Fukunaga's first Bond film... Coincidence?
    How are we feeling on Safin = Dr. No? The fact that it's a very real possibility scares me.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Highly doubt it, and hope not. You would think Eon would want to continue to create original villains.
    They did make Oberhauser = Blofeld. And Malek has been very coy about it in interviews.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yeah, I think that has always been a slight worry for most fans, Coz I think very few like SP. EON could have easily gone with a new narrative(something i would have really cherished, considering am a fan of Standalone Bond Adventures) But I have a feeling, EON wants to make SP more relevant by broadening it's myth....so fans in retrospect, will look back at SP with a warmer reception. I liked QoS from the first day I saw it, but i noticed some fans later liked it when SF came out....even without the films having any connection.

Am 100% sure SF was the beginning of Standalone adventures for Craig's Era....I mean, I love the Mission Briefing between M & Bond. it means SP might not have been called SP, meaning a different plot. SP might have been RISICO, SHATTERHAND, SCORPIUS or SEAFIRE.

As Brilliant as Craig's Bond is, most happenings in his era looks contrived, Coz EON were not really sure if they wanted his era to be serialized or standalone. If we heard Silva or Blofeld's name in CR, then it would have been much cooler. The link between CR & QoS is understandable though. I really do think EON adamantly continued SP's narrative in NTTD to prove SP wasn't a mistake, by making it's narrative better in NTTD.
    I really wish we had a truly standalone Craig film in 2010.
  • Agent_One wrote: »
    We got one two years later.
    True.
    Not all that standalone though, in retrospect. SP changed that.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Agent_One wrote: »

Well we did get the video game Bloodstone, so you could count that if you wanted...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Agent_One wrote: »
    How are we feeling on Safin = Dr. No? The fact that it's a very real possibility scares me.

It'll be a rebooted alter ego

Professor Yes
    Bentley007 wrote: »

That argument ignores the current state of blockbuster films. The trend currently is to connect all films within an IP. Looking at Marvel, Star Wars, DC, Fast and Furious, MI and Harry Potter World. All major films must have a through line as the audiences now expect this to a certain extent. Cliffhangers across films and multi part films are becoming the norm. As many have stated Bond movies can act as markers for what film was like at the time of their release. This era is no different, it started with gritty real action after bourne, went to a character driven film with Skyfall and is now ending with interconnected storylines across films. Comparing this to pervious Bond films and eras does not account for what films are like now outside of Bond.

Oh I completely agree. I hate it. Can't stand Marvel, Fast and Furious etc. MI maybe, but only because I like that sort of action. What's the one thing I cannot stand about MI though? Hunt's marriage. To be fair the team aspect was also a feature of the programme anyway, but the soap opera elements I really don't like.

Bond does not deserve a relationship to be a success. The price he has to pay for his job and his vices is perpetual loneliness.

Anyway, I am going off topic. I agree with what you are saying about modern franchises, but i don't have to like it.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Am choosing not to believe the DR NO-SAFIN thing. After what happened with the last film, I really don't think it would be wise to reboot another Classic Bond Villian.