No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Interesting article. Thank you.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Major french cinema chain boss says a mid-July re-opening is 'unrealistic'.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/french-cinema-chain-july-reopening-is-unrealistic-theaters-not-a-frightening-experience-1202917022/

It is looking more and more likely that Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984 and Mulan are going to be delayed to late 2020/2021.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Graham Norton chatting with Phoebe Waller-Bridge :D

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    November is now definitely the spy month of the year, as both Mission Impossible 7 and Mission Impossible 8 have been delayed to Nov 2021 and Nov 2022 respectively.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Lay Offs Hit MGM Across Studio, United Artists Releasing Furloughs Third of Staff
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mgm-lay-offs-companywide-united-artists-releasing-furloughs-coronavirus-1234588388/

MGM was forced to shoulder substantial financial losses when it pulled the James Bond film “No Time to Die” just weeks before a scheduled release in April — marketing and publicity spending was already in motion when the decision was made due to the coronavirus. One studio insider said MGM’s liquidity has nothing to do with Friday’s layoffs, and that the money faucet to promote Bond was turned off just before the bulk was spent. The company will take an incremental loss of $30 million, when all is said and done, in promoting the Daniel Craig project.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    November is now definitely the spy month of the year, as both Mission Impossible 7 and Mission Impossible 8 have been delayed to Nov 2021 and Nov 2022 respectively.

Whelp, that effectively rules out a new Bond film for 2022...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,518

Works for Brosnan:
    140828-pierce-brosnan-november-man-poster.jpg

Also, isn't Bond's official birthday in November?
  • November is now definitely the spy month of the year, as both Mission Impossible 7 and Mission Impossible 8 have been delayed to Nov 2021 and Nov 2022 respectively.

Whelp, that effectively rules out a new Bond film for 2022...

If I were EON I would stake November 2023 as the release date for the new Bond film and then have 2022's 60th-anniversary celebration lead up to a reveal of the new Bond actor.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    If NTTD doesn’t make this Nov. I wonder when we’ll get to see it.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Spider-Man 3 with Tom Holland has also been delayed to November 2021. Doctor Strange 2 has been delayed to March 2022 and Into the Spider-Verse 2 has been delayed to October 2022.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 2,436
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

I would hazard a guess at either summer or November 2021. Sobering to think it's already been delayed 3 times.

I would hazard a guess at either summer or November 2021. Sobering to think it's already been delayed 3 times.

2 films just moved to November 2021: The third Spider-Man film for the MCU, and Mission Impossible 7. Summer 2021 would be more likely for NTTD if it is delayed again.
    Spider-Man 3 with Tom Holland has also been delayed to November 2021. Doctor Strange 2 has been delayed to March 2022 and Into the Spider-Verse 2 has been delayed to October 2022.

What's most curious about these new dates for 2021 films is many haven''t even started filming yet!

Strict social distancing could be in place to early or even late 2021. How the hell do you make a Marvel, Mission Impossible or Batman film in such conditions? I think the answer is "you can't." This article from Variety describes it well:

I know @antovolk is of the opinion that pressure from MGM shareholders will ensure that NTTD probably ends up becoming a VOD title at some point. However, this may be short-sighted as MGM will likely have zero product in 2021 and going into 2022.

With every passing day, it looks like the schedule for 2021 will be wide-open as none of the franchise films will get made under the conditions imposed. Basically, Bond may end up in spring/summer 2021 as MGM will have little product. Why take a loss on something in 2020 when you can make a gain in 2021?

There is a good chance though that the situation may be better come November as its so far out (pending a second outbreak doesn't occur in the winter).
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah, no idea, might be an unknown British actress....but Tatiana will definitely look & Sound Russian like this. And Sam Neill would have been Great as Bond....a Calm Bond.

Looked like M's office set redressed for the audition.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,861

Yeah, no idea, might be an unknown British actress....but Tatiana will definitely look & Sound Russian like this. And Sam Neill would have been Great as Bond....a Calm Bond.

Yes I've been watching Reilly Ace of Spies on Talking Pictures TV channel the last few weeks and you can certainly see what they saw in him: calm and cool is definitely right. He could have done it.

Funny how they change the script so he gets the 'Bond, James Bond' line :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Looked like M's office set redressed for the audition.

It's a lot nicer than that really crappy one Craig got by the looks of it! :)

Strict social distancing could be in place to early or even late 2021.

Personally, I just don't see that. If the only way were ~20 months of social distancing, I think many policymakers would either accept excess mortality or shift to a focus on protecting the vulnerable. Tighter measured just aren't sustainable.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think for a gap of this length we really should have gotten a new Bond. Doesn't make sense, they didn't bring Dalton back after the 6 year hiatus and he only did 2 movies until then. I think Craig we seem like old news by the time Bond 25 is finally released. It would have better to bring in someone new, and that would have brought much more interest and excitement.
  • I think for a gap of this length we really should have gotten a new Bond. Doesn't make sense, they didn't bring Dalton back after the 6 year hiatus and he only did 2 movies until then. I think Craig we seem like old news by the time Bond 25 is finally released. It would have better to bring in someone new, and that would have brought much more interest and excitement.

I think their may have been a feeling of unfinished business after the relative disappointment of Spectre. Craig wanted to go out on a high not on a whimper, and the producers were more than willing to facilitate this.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited April 2020 Posts: 524
    I think for a gap of this length we really should have gotten a new Bond. Doesn't make sense, they didn't bring Dalton back after the 6 year hiatus and he only did 2 movies until then. I think Craig we seem like old news by the time Bond 25 is finally released. It would have better to bring in someone new, and that would have brought much more interest and excitement.

Sorry to pick your argument apart, but Dalton was offered to return, but he only wanted to make one film, something Cubby didn’t agree with. He wanted Dalton to return for 5, as Dalton only had done two at that point.

And secondly, no one, truly no one could’ve predicted this giant gap when Craig signed on for a 5th. The producers were very happy to have Craig back for NTTD. If you want to argue that they should’ve brought in someone new, they should’ve done that before June 2017, which is when Craig signed on. The moment he signs on, they’re never, ever going to break the contract. And all the delays from that point onward were unexpected and had nothing to do with Craig. From that point onward, he was never going to go away.

Thirdly, the film is finished. If it wasn’t, then they might’ve thrown it away if no alternative schedule could be found. But now? There’s no way they can ‘just’ say “We won’t release this film”.

Fourthly, BB has admitted she has a hard time saying goodbye to Craig. She is definitely Not in the mood to find a replacement, and certainly not on such short notice. Eventually a new Bond has to emerge, but it will only be after Craig has had his final go-around as Bond, taken a victory lap, formally calls it quits, the producers tell the press they’ll start looking for a new Bond (a positive to EON doing other films: BB gets asked about Bond in between Bond films), actors have to audition, audition some more, and a new actor has been picked. That process is long and tedious.

TL;DR: No way.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 890
    I don't think so. As opposed to Dalton, Craig was able to make his mark on the series and is far more popular than Dalton ever was. Unlike a hypothetical Bond 17 with Dalton, NTTD was not designed to relaunch the franchise but as a swan song to the Craig era. While the audience could have been uninterested in Goldeneye if it has been the last film with Dalton, its interest in going to see this film is simply motivated to see Craig one last time. This is a form of interest and excitement.
    Sorry to pick your argument apart, but Dalton was offered to return, but he only wanted to make one film, something Cubby didn’t agree with. He wanted Dalton to return for 5, as Dalton only had done two at that point.

Actually, you're both correct.

Although Dalton told Broccoli that he only wanted to do one more, MGM/UA had no intention of hiring him for GE even if Broccoli had agreed to it. They wanted a new Bond.

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I just pray we get to see this movie. I keep fearing they’re going to shelve it due to the potential villainous plot.
    I just pray we get to see this movie. I keep fearing they’re going to shelve it due to the potential villainous plot.

I pray we get to see it soon but there precisely zero chance of them "shelving" it and that makes no sense whatsoever. They've put what? $500mil into this thing? Absolutely zero chance they decide to forego earning any kind of return on that. That probably would mean the end of the franchise and the end of Eon.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

I have that slight worry too....but when I remember it's JAMES BOND & cinephiles already know him as someone who saves the world, it tells me the film will still be released. I think if it were a new franchise, then they'll worry more. The World already loves the James Bond.

I have that slight worry too....but when I remember it's JAMES BOND & cinephiles already know him as someone who saves the world, it tells me the film will still be released. I think if it were a new franchise, then they'll worry more. The World already loves the James Bond.

If this were in the early production days I could see it. But it's not. According to the director himself it's 100% finished. It's likely one of the most expensive films ever made already not to mention the massive marketing campaign that already took place. Absolutely no chance of them just throwing it in the memory hole.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    ertert wrote: »

If this were in the early production days I could see it. But it's not. According to the director himself it's 100% finished. It's likely one of the most expensive films ever made already not to mention the massive marketing campaign that already took place. Absolutely no chance of them just throwing it in the memory hole.

Yeah, true. if it were early days of Production....the script might have even had a rewrite.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    About Dalton, the version I had heard is that, around 93-94, MGM had appointed John Calley as the head of United Artists. Calley was the one who argued against getting Dalton back, because of the hiatus, the so-so box office for TLD, and LTK flopping in the US. The Broccoli family stood by Dalton, but Calley was adamant that they couldn't take the risk for the franchise to have three disappointing results in a row, and he got the upper hand.

The Broccolis, who were in very good terms with Dalton, allowed him to save face by making the announcement that he was leaving the part on his own. And, in 1996, Dalton was even a pallbearer at Cubby's funeral. That may also explain why they didn't care that much about Brosnan. It wasn't really his fault, it's just that he was the only time the studio forced them to pick a new actor (even if they had already picked him a decade earlier).

Also, remember that if Dalton had stayed for one more film, Goldeneye may have not been directed by Martin Campbell, who didn't like his take on Bond.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,969

And all the delays from that point onward were unexpected and had nothing to do with Craig. From that point onward, he was never going to go away.

I could buy this more if the series hadn't gone almost thirty years between 1962 and 1989 with no gaps longer than 3 years inbetween. My point is if they wanted to give Craig another film and end on a high, then they should have set a 2018 release date and got straight on with it. It doesn't make sense to bring back an actor for one more film and then wait so long to even get the gears rolling.