No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    A new article from Norwegian newspaper VG covering their visit to Pinewood last autumn.

There's little here that we don't know about already, but there are a few tidbits that might be of interest. Quotes from the article in spoiler tags:
    We are told that Malek first appear in the film’s opening sequence which takes place in Nittedal outside Oslo.
    - Malek plays Safin. His character is associated with Bond girl Madeleine Swann. He visits her in the cabin in Norway, and very dramatic things happens there, he says (Mark Tildesley).
    The second car chase in the film takes place in Norway.
    - Bond is chased by the villains in muddy and steep terrain. The start of this sequence was filmed in Norway (on the Atlantic Road, journ. note). We had to shoot the rest in Scotland for practical reasons. In this sequence, Bond is actually driving two cars. A Toyota Land Cruiser LC90 and an Aston Martin V9 Vantage, which Bond last drove in The Living Daylights. - Chris Corbould.
    Agent 007 and Paloma (Ana de Armas) are at a glamorous club in Havana. Bond is wearing a Tom Ford tux, while Paloma is wearing a navy blue silk dress and Chopard jewellery.

Suddenly they spot the man they are looking for – Valdo Obruchev, played by Swede David Dencik, known from productions such as The Snowman, Chernobyl, and Quick. CIA colleague Felix Leiter sends Bond on assignment to Cuba to find a mysterious package.

It turns out that the package is a person, Tildesley explains about Denick's role. Bond and Paloma try to get hold of Obruchev's suitcase. At the same time, the other people in the premises starts shooting at our heroes. The mysterious man pulls out a gun and shoots out a rope that allows him to escape.

Regarding spoiler 2: Why haven't we seen that car in any of the BTS-footage? Damn well kept secret I must say

@Torgeirtrap Since you have access to the article, could you copy/paste and DM me. No need for translation

I believe we saw a video or two of it filming on the Atlantic Road.

Toyota yes but not the other car. That's a mystery since I have every norwegian news video. So they must have filmed it in Scotland and somehow kept it hidden from news media and bystanders. Even checked Max Earey's instagram, not a single picture.

But since it's a quote from Courbold himself I don't see any reason to doubt it. Just perplexed and/or surprised.

Time will tell...
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,018
    A new article from Norwegian newspaper VG covering their visit to Pinewood last autumn.

There's little here that we don't know about already, but there are a few tidbits that might be of interest. Quotes from the article in spoiler tags:
    We are told that Malek first appear in the film’s opening sequence which takes place in Nittedal outside Oslo.
    - Malek plays Safin. His character is associated with Bond girl Madeleine Swann. He visits her in the cabin in Norway, and very dramatic things happens there, he says (Mark Tildesley).
    - Bond is chased by the villains in muddy and steep terrain. The start of this sequence was filmed in Norway (on the Atlantic Road, journ. note). We had to shoot the rest in Scotland for practical reasons. In this sequence, Bond is actually driving two cars. A Toyota Land Cruiser LC90 and an Aston Martin V9 Vantage, which Bond last drove in The Living Daylights. - Chris Corbould.
    Agent 007 and Paloma (Ana de Armas) are at a glamorous club in Havana. Bond is wearing a Tom Ford tux, while Paloma is wearing a navy blue silk dress and Chopard jewellery.

Suddenly they spot the man they are looking for – Valdo Obruchev, played by Swede David Dencik, known from productions such as The Snowman, Chernobyl, and Quick. CIA colleague Felix Leiter sends Bond on assignment to Cuba to find a mysterious package.

It turns out that the package is a person, Tildesley explains about Denick's role. Bond and Paloma try to get hold of Obruchev's suitcase. At the same time, the other people in the premises starts shooting at our heroes. The mysterious man pulls out a gun and shoots out a rope that allows him to escape.

Regarding spoiler 2: Why haven't we seen that car in any of the BTS-footage? Damn well kept secret I must say

@Torgeirtrap Since you have access to the article, could you copy/paste and DM me. No need for translation

Toyota yes but not the other car. That's a mystery since I have every norwegian news video. So they must have filmed it in Scotland and somehow kept it hidden from news media and bystanders. Even checked Max Earey's instagram, not a single picture.

But since it's a quote from Courbold himself I don't see any reason to doubt it. Just perplexed and/or surprised.

Time will tell...

Update:

@Torgeirtrap Now I know what's wrong. The article should say V8 Vantage, not V9. Major difference for the love of God.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,241

Very interesting. The Cuban night club sequence & the Norway chase sound/look amazing. I am beyond excited for this movie.

It will be interesting to see what they'll look like. We have seen so very little from Norway yet.

Time will tell...

Update:

@Torgeirtrap Now I know what's wrong. The article should say V8 Vantage, not V9. Major difference for the love of God.

@Contraband Just a typo I did when translating, sorry! I'll DM you the entire article in a bit.
    _________

Also from the same article; a bit on Q, Bond (and Nomi):
    Q has throughout the years provided Bond with a lot of high-tech gadgets, whether it's explosive pens, laser watches or advanced weapons. However, there have been few aids in recent films, but in «No Time To Die» the gadgets are back.

Prop master Ben Wilkinson, who has previously worked on several of the Harry Potter films and The Gladiator, promises that.

- «No Time To Die» has a significantly higher amount of gadgets than recent Bond films. I’m not exaggerating when I say that all scenes have some kind of gadget, Wilkinson says, who has also worked on «Skyfall» and «SPECTRE».

Wilkinson takes us into a hangar full of props from the new movie. Some of the highlights are Bond’s new harpoon, a high-tech handcuff,a machine that injects «smart blood» into the veins of Bond and 00 agent Nomi (Lashana Lynch), bombs of all shapes and sizes, a quirky radar called "Qadar" (which Q gives to Bond), and, amazingly enough, a number of fake fish!

- In one of the scenes, Bond is fishing. We had real fish available. But if the smell was too bad, we had these fake fish at hand. We ended up not using those fake fish.You have to the hat off to Daniel – he coped with many hours of fish smell!

One of the props Wilkinson is most proud of is Q’s new lab.

- As you'll remember from the movies, Q has his own laboratory where Bond is given all the gadgets. This time Q is travelling and he must therefore bring a portable mini lab. This lab includes a wide range of tools and gadgets, the prop master says, and continues:

- Look now, he says, pressing a button.

A tray with a British tea set pops out of the mini lab!

- It’s important for Q to enjoy good tea when he’s on a mission. After all, he is a Brit, smiles Wilkinson, who must be said to be the real life Q.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    As long as there aren’t any invisible cars or watches that emit laser beams, I’m all for more gadgets.
    Wow, this sounds like good fun. However:
    Please, get rid of the 'smart blood.' It was a useless flop the last time they trotted it out, and sounds too much like handwaving, science-ex-machina, plot-device nonsense.
    Also: I wouldn't say no to a free Valhalla. But it just doesn't look like a Bond car to me. For a villain or a sidekick or something, perhaps?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    octofinger wrote: »
    Wow, this sounds like good fun. However:
    Please, get rid of the 'smart blood.' It was a useless flop the last time they trotted it out, and sounds too much like handwaving, science-ex-machina, plot-device nonsense.
    Maybe they can do something more interesting with it this time.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    New BTS stills by instagram.com/MaxEarey/

Valhalla in Scotland
    NiIRQDF.jpg
    SAvWNd1.jpg
    PcBLTs8.jpg
    cMRBKpP.jpg
    gVcAQkP.jpg

This car is so cool.

It looks like every teenage boy's dream.....I hope they really haven't edited it out of the movie because I really want to see it in action.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Just further to my comment about suspecting the November release is not happening. The uks science advisor has said today that social restrictions will be in place for at least the whole of 2020. Again happy to be proved wrong but a November release of NTTD is fanciful.

I wonder whether cinema as we know it will return before a vaccine is found.

Maybe Eon need to look at a plan B

The vaccine issue is problematic as there is a high chance there won't be one. There is probably too much onus placed on it as the solution to lockdown.....the truth is a vaccine may not come about for years if at all. A vaccine won't get us out of lockdown.

I know that a vaccine is being fast-tracked. However, even then the best case scenario is that it'll be widely available at the early or middle part of next year. That is very optimistic thinking. Realistically, it could be another 5 years if not more.

A vaccine isn't going to be solution to get the economy going and open life up again. Therapeutics are probably the answer for now. However, the most probable answer is that we will simply need to get used to living with the virus. Which means life changing for good. Social distancing and personal hygiene awareness becoming the norm.

In that respect, cinemas will need to change their operations for good.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Valhalla in Scotland
    NiIRQDF.jpg
    SAvWNd1.jpg
    PcBLTs8.jpg
    cMRBKpP.jpg
    gVcAQkP.jpg

Awful looking thing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Time will tell...

Bit odd, Contra; surely you’ve seen a typo before? You can’t take everything as literal gospel.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Also we mustn't forget how NTTD has the problem of how people will respond to the villain's plot as well as the virus itself so could this cause more problems with releasing the film if we do go into 2021 still dealing with it.
    Not sure if posted before but another new Lea interview from Elle Spain, Madeleine's character evolved "180 degrees" from Spectre
    https://www.elle.com/es/living/pareja-sexo/a32067742/lea-seydoux-entrevista-elle-abril/
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Also we mustn't forget how NTTD has the problem of how people will respond to the villain's plot as well as the virus itself so could this cause more problems with releasing the film if we do go into 2021 still dealing with it.

I believe there were one or two movies that got buried in the wake of 9/11 because their plots featured terrorist attacks.
    mtm wrote: »

Time will tell...

Bit odd, Contra; surely you’ve seen a typo before? You can’t take everything as literal gospel.

Yes and No. I really thought the article meant DB9 and couldn't piece it together.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    octofinger wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

I believe there were one or two movies that got buried in the wake of 9/11 because their plots featured terrorist attacks.

Remember how Gangster Squad had to reshoot a major sequence because of the Aurora shooting? I think there were a couple of others that made slight adjustments too.

That being said, I'd be fairly confident that Babs and co. would time it right and only make any adjustments if absolutely necessary.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I don't know if it's posted or i missed this. But can anyone conform if this is the screen test pic which was about to be released before NTTD delayed?
    daniel-craig-james-bond-screen-test-1068x721.jpg
    From this article, https://www.bondsuits.com/daniel-craigs-screen-test-dinner-suit/
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,518
    That screen test pic has been available since 2006.

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if that's true, but it has been floating around out there for years now.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if that's true, but it has been floating around out there for years now.

I believe it is in the “Bond on Set - Filming Casino Royale” book from 2006.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah, It's likely from the Screentest. Since the Bedroom Scene from FRWL is the one EON likes using for James Bond auditions & Craig came with a longer hair, before he started filming as Bond. But wherever that Pic is from, till this day I would have liked it more....if EON left Craig's Hair a bit longer as James Bond. That Hair Comma is Cool....he even looks a bit like Dalton in that Pic.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mallory wrote: »

I'd *love* to get my hands on a copy of this book. I only have the ones for Skyfall and Spectre.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah, It's likely from the Screentest. Since the Bedroom Scene from FRWL is the one EON likes using for James Bond auditions & Craig came with a longer hair, before he started filming as Bond. But wherever that Pic is from, till this day I would have liked it more....if EON left Craig's Hair a bit longer as James Bond. That Hair Comma is Cool....he even looks a bit like Dalton in that Pic.

Agreed, i haven't seen that pic before, thought worth pointing out since we might get to see his audition tape this year.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,861
    That's new on me too. It will be interesting to see that, I don't know if we've seen two Bonds play the exact same scene before, have we?
    Do we know who played Tatiana in those auditions?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

I'd *love* to get my hands on a copy of this book. I only have the ones for Skyfall and Spectre.

I have vague memories of it being difficult to find even at the time of release, and getting a pristine copy was quite the challenge. Luckily it now sits on my shelf along with all the others.

I do wish they would do a more in depth making of book. Having these photo diary books are ncie and all but it would be good to see script ideas, concept art, story boards etc with more input from the technical teams.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,247

Yeah, no idea, might be an unknown British actress....but Tatiana will definitely look & Sound Russian like this. And Sam Neill would have been Great as Bond....a Calm Bond.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 13,879
    A new article from Norwegian newspaper VG

Also from the same article[/url]; a bit on Q, Bond (and Nomi):
    Much appreciated, brothers.
    I don't know if it's posted or i missed this. But can anyone conform if this is the screen test pic which was about to be released before NTTD delayed?
    From this article, https://www.bondsuits.com/daniel-craigs-screen-test-dinner-suit/

I just checked, and that photo isn't in the 'Bond On Set' book.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    QBranch wrote: »
    A new article from Norwegian newspaper VG

Also from the same article[/url]; a bit on Q, Bond (and Nomi):
    Much appreciated, brothers.

I just checked, and that photo isn't in the 'Bond On Set' book.

james_bond_archives_fp_gb_as001_03416_1904251104_id_1011464.jpg

Actually, it was first published in the 'James Bond Archives' book from Taschen. Which I believe came out in 2012 and then re-published with new content in 2015.

It's a bloody good book. Also, I believe it's quite cheap on amazon these days....

Yep. This appears to be the case.

Whenever cinemas re-open, Tenet will be there. Currently cinemas are hoping that date is mid-July.

Essentially, cinemas (like every service industry) are suffering. As soon as they are given the sign by governments that it is safe to open they will. The opposite side of this equation are Hollywood studios.

Cinemas want to screen new product to drive audiences in. However, they are dependent on Hollywood giving them those movies. Hollywood naturally has an inherent interest in delivering as theatre revenue is their biggest stream of income.

The question then becomes: How does this work in practice?

The answer may be that theatres commit to screening blockbusters to ensure audiences can see the movies they are excited about. This means films such as Mulan, Tenet, No Time to Die, Black Widow occupy all screens in any given cinema. This way social distancing can be adhered to. This impacts smaller films.

The simple truth is that a vaccine is at least a year away in the best case scenario. There is even the high probability that a vaccine may never be produced.

Therefore, we can't stay locked up forever. Once the rate of infection decreases, then we will have to return to civilisation. But life will be very difficult and social distancing/face masks/more awareness of personal hygiene will become the norm. In particular, service industries will be on life support.

_111116291_bond_afp.jpg
    Yeah, with each passing day, it's looking increasingly likely that managing the Virus might be the order of the day....at least for the time being, until a vaccine is available. And Movies will be the due Escapism people need.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Yeah, with each passing day, it's looking increasingly likely that managing the Virus might be the order of the day....at least for the time being, until a vaccine is available. And Movies will be the due Escapism people need.

It feels like we have been battling this virus for months already. Here in the U.S., our social distancing has been in place for only been about five weeks. Hard to believe. In many parts of the country, we're bending the curve alittle bit. If we stay on this path (stay at home, social distancing) for another 5-6 weeks, I am optimistic that we'll be in a good position for fall. But we need testing.

Let's think positive.

Pinewood set visit
    Here is the norwegian article (paywall) from VG (vg.no/rampelys/film/i/b5vw95/paa-innsiden-av-bond-innspilling-skurken-plottet-og-biljakt-i-norge) that @Torgeirtrap (thanks for the help) posted the other day lifting out some highlights. BTW: The journalist is Morten Steingrimsen, James Bond-Magasinet, Norway

I have translated the article in full and only left out a few words about PWB from Babs. Nothing new there. Other then that I thought it had many more (minor) spoilers worth reading about then just Torgeirtraps highlights

(Sorry if my translation isn't perfect)
    W7oQ4gb.jpg
    KGNyb9J.jpg
    kIriAeQ.jpg
    Akwex0T.jpg