No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I agree - I think August looks to be extremely problematic already. It looks like A Quiet Place: Part II could be a casualty amongst all of this moving about. The likelihood of it being pushed into competition with a tentpole later on this year or early next year seems to be increasing.

That would be one that could possibly find a life on VOD? Considering its (roughly) $35million budget.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,686
    I think most horror films would have not much problem going to VOD, they are usually more-or-less quite low budget, and have a sizeable audience that love a good horror thrill. The only question would be to such films as A Quiet Place 2 and Halloween Kills, given their immediate predecessor made a lot of money at the box office.
    I think most horror films would have not much problem going to VOD, they are usually more-or-less quite low budget, and have a sizeable audience that love a good horror thrill. The only question would be to such films as A Quiet Place 2 and Halloween Kills, given their immediate predecessor made a lot of money at the box office.

True. Halloween making over twenty-two times its production budget would be hard to replicate on VOD, I feel. However, I think antovolk is right when he says things are going to change, fundamentally. It'll take possibly a year for those changes to happen, but certain things will change for the low to mid-budget films of that type. Interesting times lie ahead.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @CraigMooreOHMSS I do think that for the first few months when cinemas re-open, all small budget films will be shoved directly to VOD, to give more daily showings to tentpole films like Bond, Marvel, etc. Given we are likely to have limited allowed capacity to help enforce social distancing, more showings would limit the amount of ticket sales lost for the big blockbusters.
    Yeah, that's a good point, @DaltonCraig007. Social distancing seems to be here for the forseeable, the world over. Many people will scoff at the notion of cinemas only showing big budget blockbusters, but it seems that we could be on that path for a while. I think VOD is a good path for smaller films. Many of them find a life there when they would have crashed and burned otherwise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,834
    @mtm People talking about what they'd prefer doesn't bother me, it's the way its done that does.

And in my opinion, as pointless as it may be, I don't think EON can afford to give their film to Netflix or VOD or whatever. Disney, Marvel and so on are different...

After the box office failure that was The Rhythm Section, they need Bond to perform well, otherwise we'll end up with an even longer break between now and Bond 26 because of money as well as the virus.

I honestly believe putting it on demand would cause more problems for them that it's worth. If they decided to delay release again in cinemas, they'll have pissed off fans. If they put it on demand, they'll have other pissed off fans, probably lose a lot of money they would've made otherwise and run the risk of causing problems going forward with future projects.

And even though they're in a better financial position, I believe Marvel will probs move their big films also if everything is still really bad by November. I don't think they'll be swayed to lose money on projects that weren't already going to Disney+
    October 2019:
    I think there is a very good chance that Bond will be one of the first major franchises to ‘jump ship’ and head to a streaming giant.

April 2020:
    I think the pandemic has to get much worse before we get into a situation where VOD becomes realistic. If it's still a problem in August/September, they'll push NTTD to summer 2021.

:-/
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    If NTTD is not released in theaters, does it sway DC to do another?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TripAces wrote: »

No.

Craig would be 55/56 by 2023/2024, I think that would be an issue. And I say that as someone who had no problem with Moore in OP/AVTAK. Not that he wouldn't be believe as Bond, but I don't think he plans on being Bond in his mid-50's.
    One of the big variables is how it will "degrade" the brand. The public know that straight to video is a byword for cheap rubbish. This has changed slightly recently but the rule of thumb is that good movies and big brands are shown in the cinema. Obviously these are strange times but the mindset of the consumer base long term is crucial. Bond is a BIG brand in every way and punters connect it with the big screen and the big screen experience. To see Bond go straight to VOD could have longer repercussions re the brand than simply this movie.
    October 2019:
    I think there is a very good chance that Bond will be one of the first major franchises to ‘jump ship’ and head to a streaming giant.

April 2020:
    I think the pandemic has to get much worse before we get into a situation where VOD becomes realistic. If it's still a problem in August/September, they'll push NTTD to summer 2021.

It is of course possible and normal for people to change their minds, but as I said yesterday, it's like there is different people with access to his account sometimes! :))
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I just don't see how people paying the exact same (I imagine on the cheaper-side) price on something like VOD would be just as beneficial as the ranged prices (although probably on the more expensive side) they would've had at the cinema.

And also pirating as other people have mentioned. Usually torrentors and so on would not be able to watch a proper good quality version of the film until a DVD/Blu-ray release is close, unless it's on streaming or VOD. PWB's Fleabag NT Live was recently released on Amazon Prime for a small price that was to go to charity for the NHS I believe. The show was being torrented and streamed by thousands the next day.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    October 2019:

April 2020:

Okay, well there is a clear distinction between 'VOD' and 'streaming.' Both services are hugely different. So the two posts you have singled out to show contradictions in actual fact demonstrate no inconsistencies.

Secondly, NTTD has a distribution deal with Universal at the time I wrote that comment in October 2019. When I wrote the post from April 2020, Universal still had a theatrical deal for distribution of NTTD.

My October 2019 post was clearly in respect to the 'future' of the franchise (i.e; post-NTTD, which as explained above already had a deal for theatrical with Universal).

Therefore, in the future I can 100% see MGM being bought by Netflix and Apple. In fact, I can see Eon encouraging such a deal. I even set up an entire thread to discuss said point. Check it out here. In such circumstances, Bond would not be a 'VOD' title, but a 'streaming' title. Which means Bond 26 would built from the ground-up as a streaming project. Akin to 'The Irishman' which was a Netflix title, opposed to 'The Cloverfield Paradox' which was acquired by Netflix post-completion.

@DaltonCraig007 @CraigMooreOHMSS There is zero contradictions on my side. If you want clarifications on my points I'm happy to explain myself. I don't want to be ambiguous if I'm confusing you.
    Thanks for clearing that up, @Pierce2Daniel :)
    The virus has been relatively stable for ten days or so now, as the initail wave of infection peters out for many territories. Theres really no reason why the cinema shouldn't be open again by November, however whether people feel comfortable in that kind of enviroment again is another matter. If this Bond movie is the event film which it is being talked up as, then it stands to reason that they would try and wait for the cinematic option to open up again, if that means waiting another few months.
    The virus has been relatively stable for ten days or so now, as the initail wave of infection peters out for many territories.

You said the very same thing on March 21st. Sorry, but I do not trust your judgement when you pull random comments out of thin air, most of which can be easily disproven by a simple google search.

As said above, several countries around the globe are planning to not re-open leisure activities (such as concerts, festivals, theaters, cinemas) for the rest of the year. But I guess that does not fit the narrative you are trying to push.

We already do not know if cinemas can be re-opened this summer, so I do not know what crystal ball you are using to be so certain to how the situation will be in November.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The virus has been relatively stable for ten days or so now, as the initail wave of infection peters out for many territories.

You said the very same thing on March 21st. Sorry, but I do not trust your judgement when you pull random comments out of thin air, most of which can be easily disproven by a simple google search.

As said above, several countries around the globe are planning to not re-open leisure activities (such as concerts, festivals, theaters, cinemas) for the rest of the year. But I guess that does not fit the narrative you are trying to push.

We already do not know if cinemas can be re-opened this summer, so I do not know what crystal ball you are using to be so certain to how the situation will be in November.

I said in a few months things would begin to get back to normal. Almost a month later, many of the worst affected areas back then are seeing repeated reductions in the number of daily cases. Seems like I was quite accurate. The virus is no longer exponential and hasn't been for over a week. Countries are already talking about coming out of lockdown, as long as those most at risk continue to exercise caution. The situation is on course for things to resume by late summer, perhaps a month later than I originally stated (at most).

My main concern for Bond 25 is not the virus but whether enough people will be invested enough to see how this saga concludes. We've never had a 5 year gap between Bond films with the same actor in the role before, unless you count NSNA. And during the release of SP there did seem to be a sizable portion of the public who were kinda done with this Bond, and didn't care to see Craig back. They really need to market the heck out if the movie come Autumn, and I hope they have some tricks up their sleeve.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343

I said in a few months things would begin to get back to normal. Almost a month later, many of the worst affected areas back then are seeing repeated reductions in the number of daily cases. Seems like I was quite accurate. The virus is no longer exponential and hasn't been for over a week. Countries are already talking about coming out of lockdown, as long as those most at risk continue to exercise caution. The situation is on course for things to resume by late summer, perhaps a month later than I originally stated (at most).

My main concern for Bond 25 is not the virus but whether enough people will be invested enough to see how this saga concludes. We've never had a 5 year gap between Bond films with the same actor in the role before, unless you count NSNA. And during the release of SP there did seem to be a sizable portion of the public who were kinda done with this Bond, and didn't care to see Craig back. They really need to market the heck out if the movie come Autumn, and I hope they have some tricks up their sleeve.

See my previous post.

“It is very important not to speed up the reopenings: otherwise the second wave instead of having it further we risk suffering it before the summer”, warns the expert”.

Sorry, but you are not going to get away with spreading misinformation yet again.
    The problem with comparing recovery of UK with China and Italy is that people were far less prepared, because it was a new disease. Corona has only been in UK a few weeks and already there is basically shutdown. Another few months and the rate will decline. The mistake was letting it in the first place, but now we have more hospitals pledged, there is no need for people make a catastrophe out of things. It doesn't do to spread depression and fear in people. As long as people follow the guidelines, as most are, things will resolve soon. Just focus on safety and staying rational rather than panic.

Since that post, the UK has recorded 15,231 deaths and 109 209 new infections. So we already see your 'soon' of March 21st was nothing but lies, so your ''soon'' of April 18th is equally as untrustworthy.

Also, please do a google search that easing up lockdowns is the safest way to cause a second wave of the coronavirus outbreak, so I suggest you keep such dangerous ideas to yourself. Or, alternatively, do a quick google search to see most scientists and health officials around the world agree that stopping the lockdowns too soon will cause all our progress to go crashing down, and that many governments world-wide agree that certain sectors of the economy (mainly culture and sports) will have to remain closed and/or severely limited until the end of the year.

Sorry, but you are not going to get away with spreading misinformation yet again.
    The problem with comparing recovery of UK with China and Italy is that people were far less prepared, because it was a new disease. Corona has only been in UK a few weeks and already there is basically shutdown. Another few months and the rate will decline. The mistake was letting it in the first place, but now we have more hospitals pledged, there is no need for people make a catastrophe out of things. It doesn't do to spread depression and fear in people. As long as people follow the guidelines, as most are, things will resolve soon. Just focus on safety and staying rational rather than panic.

Since that post, the UK has recorded 15,231 deaths and 109 209 new infections. So we already see your 'soon' of March 21st was nothing but lies, so your ''soon'' of April 18th is equally as untrustworthy.

Also, please do a google search that easing up lockdowns is the safest way to cause a second wave of the coronavirus outbreak, so I suggest you keep such dangerous ideas to yourself. Or, alternatively, do a quick google search to see most scientists and health officials around the world agree that stopping the lockdowns too soon will cause all our progress to go crashing down, and that many governments world-wide agree that certain sectors of the economy (mainly culture and sports) will have to remain closed and/or severely limited until the end of the year.

I sepcifically gave the time frame of a "few months", both in the post you've dug up, and the post you are responding to. I don't have an exact date and never claimed to. And it certainly isn't dangerous to state that the daily number of cases in the worse affected areas back then are now stabilized/declining.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Just went through Waltz’ new Instagram account; I really really hope Blofeld escapes at some point in NTTD. The character needs to be free to continue his nefarious schemes, even if we never see him again afterwards.

Maybe there’ll be a cool voiceover about his passion for crime and how crime is ‘necessary in a modern world’ or something, while the cogs orchestrating his escape finally begin to turn and he becomes free in the world again.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Good question @TripAces I suppose it could give him reason to carry on. Though NTTD will most likely be released in theatres first and foremost. A straight to streaming Bond film, would be the nail in the coffin for the series.
    Perhaps with the extended wait, Mr. Craig would consider a return. If a script or story is crafted in the down time, with a final mission for OO7. Who knows?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,314

I sepcifically gave the time frame of a "few months", both in the post you've dug up, and the post you are responding to. I don't have an exact date and never claimed to. And it certainly isn't dangerous to state that the daily number of cases in the worse affected areas back then are now stabilized/declining.

This is a complete misreading of the data arriving at a false conclusion. Cases are falling. Yes. Why because we aren’t coming into contact with each other anywhere near the levels pre lockdown.

When we come out of lockdown we will have to adhere to strict social distancing until a vaccine becomes available if we do not want to see more peaks. This is according to Bill Gates.

I’m calling it now and I’m happy to be proved wrong but I think there is not a cat in hells chance of No Time To Die being released in November because cinemas will not be open.
  • Benny wrote: »

Good question @TripAces I suppose it could give him reason to carry on. Though NTTD will most likely be released in theatres first and foremost. A straight to streaming Bond film, would be the nail in the coffin for the series.
    Perhaps with the extended wait, Mr. Craig would consider a return. If a script or story is crafted in the down time, with a final mission for OO7. Who knows?

I'm not sure whether MGM's investment etc. would necessitate it coming out as soon as possible. But I would think that if November meant social distancing in cinemas, unless there's a deal with cinemas to increase the number of showings, that Eon would maybe want to postpone until cinemas open properly again - meaning a delay to summer to the end of 2021.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Matt007 wrote: »

This is a complete misreading of the data arriving at a false conclusion. Cases are falling. Yes. Why because we aren’t coming into contact with each other anywhere near the levels pre lockdown.

When we come out of lockdown we will have to adhere to strict social distancing until a vaccine becomes available if we do not want to see more peaks. This is according to Bill Gates.

I’m calling it now and I’m happy to be proved wrong but I think there is not a cat in hells chance of No Time To Die being released in November because cinemas will not be open.

Please ignore Mr Gates.
    Why?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 97
    Cinemas not opening long before November would mean a level of social distancing (with restaurant and school closures, etc. for half a year or longer) that would absolutely cripple the global economy and would have far more severe consequences than the virus infecting everyone. I think that one way or another this virus will be over months before November.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Why?

Because he does much harm.