Action Movies Thread

Comments

^Isn't highlander the time-traveling franchise? I've never seen anything from it. They good?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    ^Isn't highlander the time-traveling franchise? I've never seen anything from it. They good?

Not time travel in the Sci Fi sense. It's about people who cannot die and thus by default walk through centuries like we do through hours.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Nothing to do with time-traveling. It's about immortals, they cannot die unless someone cuts their head off. There are flashbacks of things that happened through history though. The first two films had Sean Connery (I don't remember the name of the character) but I honestly preferred the tv series.
    Ah, I see. Perhaps a looksie is in order.. after I trudge through my recently purchased Alien saga.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Ah, I see. Perhaps a looksie is in order.. after I trudge through my recently purchased Alien saga.

Getting ready for Prometheus?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Getting ready for Prometheus?

Yes. I need to become a fanboy in under a month. Hard work ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Die Hard (2, 1, 4, 3)
    Terminator (2, 3, 1, 4) I mis Arnold in number 4, his cameo not count. There be not much movies i prefer the DC version of the movie, that happend with Terminator 2 and only this be the version there showing on tv.
    Mission Impossible (2, 1, 3)
    Harry Potter (2, 1, 3)
    Transformers (2, 1) Couple of days i watch the second movie, 3 months after the first one and i think it is better.
    Bourne (1, 3, 1) The last 2 parts i see as 1 movie with a difrence of 0.5 i think Bourne 3 is better. Totaly the franchise get a 6.5 saved by the first movie.
    Tomb Raider (2, 1 / 1, 2)
    X-men. (1, 2 / 2, 1, 3, Wolverine) I like it it be the other way around with X-men 3, but Wolverine disapointed me. The first views of the first 2 movies i prefer the first movie but before i watch number 3 i like the second more.
    Spider-Man (1, 2, 3) Some part of the action disapointed me already, but the third one is disapointed, help by i already know it be the last one.
    Sandy wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Nothing to do with time-traveling. It's about immortals, they cannot die unless someone cuts their head off. There are flashbacks of things that happened through history though. The first two films had Sean Connery (I don't remember the name of the character) but I honestly preferred the tv series.

Ramirez wasn´t it?
    Batman Begins all the way. Gave me goosebumps how Bruce Wayne turns into a batman. Leeam Neeson was awesome in the movie.
    Enter The Dragon. One word, awesome. Bruce Lee was the best Martial Artist and there will be none that can touch him (and yes that includes Chuck too)
    Top Gun. What to say. Tom Cruise at his best. My dream picturized in the movie. Close to heart.
    Mission Impossible: II so far. Haven't seen Ghost Protocol yet, so waiting to decide which one is the best.
    Predator starring Arnold. This movie in particular was decades ahead of time. Awesome Jungle scenes.
    Rocky 1st and 2nd.
    Many others but don't remember right now.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    FireSkull wrote:
    Enter The Dragon. One word, awesome. Bruce Lee was the best Martial Artist and there will be none that can touch him (and yes that includes Chuck too)

Funny thing is Chuck was actually in Enter The Dragon. Yeah Lee is a better fighter, so is Jackie Chan but Chuck was good in his prime. He was world karate champion until he retired and started making films. Nowadays though he's more famous for his facts (did you know his tears can cure cancer? it's a shame he never cries).
    More News:

Tom Cruise officially linked to star in a Magnificent Seven remake. (A remake of a remake, huh).

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34055

Not many details, but safe to say I'm interested.

And a new TDKR poster:
    thedarkknightrisesposter.jpeg

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    I like TDK's poster better, but this is still good.
    201949id1_a.jpg
    And then there's this one:
    200891619039667_2.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm just not crazy about how the design is the exact same in almost all of them. There's TDK one, and then the first poster for TDKR, which was the destroyed buildings that were made out to be the Batman logo. Now, it's pretty much the same shot, just with Batman standing in front of it. I would like to see something a little different, but I guess it's a bit too late now, unless they do manage to churn out one final poster.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm just not crazy about how the design is the exact same in almost all of them. There's TDK one, and then the first poster for TDKR, which was the destroyed buildings that were made out to be the Batman logo. Now, it's pretty much the same shot, just with Batman standing in front of it. I would like to see something a little different, but I guess it's a bit too late now, unless they do manage to churn out one final poster.

I'm more excited for the actual film, which will absolutely wreck me with its brilliance. I can feel tears coming now.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, you and I both. I can't wait to sit in awe in the movie theater upon release.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 638
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Raiders of the Lost Ark or any of the other Indiana Jones films as a favorite action series.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,368
    There will be a six-minute preview of 'The Amazing Spider-Man' attached to MiB3 in IMAX 3D this weekend.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=90504
    Creasy47 wrote:
    There will be a six-minute preview of 'The Amazing Spider-Man' attached to MiB3 in IMAX 3D this weekend.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=90504

Meh. I probably won't go see either. MIB3 doesn't look promising enough, and neither does Spidey imo.
    @JWESTBROOK, neither will I. As nice as it would be to see the Skyfall teaser on the big screen, it isn't worth it for MiB3, and The Amazing Spider-Man just doesn't look like it will do it for me. I've never been crazy about the Spier-Man movies.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'm acually looking forward to MIB 3, I think they're fun summer blockbuster popcorn films and I enjoyed the 1st two alot. I don't care about Spiderman, never really been a fan.
    jaguar007 wrote:
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Raiders of the Lost Ark or any of the other Indiana Jones films as a favorite action series.

That's a great point. I love the Indy films, Raiders is one of my favourite films of all time, but I didn't include any of them because I've never really thought of them as action films. I suppose they are really, but I always think of them as adventure films.
    Kurt Russell - Esacpe from New York, Big Trouble in Little China, Tango and Cash, Breakdown, Executive Decision (any film that kills off Steven Segal within 20 mins has to be worth a watch).
    I've had a look through this thread and it's like a hurricane has come into the MI6 pages and scrambled everything up and I can't make head or tail of what we have here, just seems a bit confusing, I've had another look through and it seems favorite series outside of Bond but some responses don't always focus on that or become a bit misleading etc

In any event, think I catch on so I always watched the Rocky series at the time they came out, never saw Rocky Balbao 2006 though, Predator was quite good, Die Hard was fine up until Part IV, Lethal Weapon I and II were very good, hated the others, Indiana Jones of the 1980s, saw every one at it's theater release, Schwarzenegger movies, Kevin Bacon movies, Kurt Russell too, good actor in some standout releases, as with Cruise of course, saw Mission Impossible I and II, but not the others as of yet, despite having part 3 at home for years as a gift and never yet seen it. Batman gets a lot of attention here, I saw the original in 1989 and always insist it was the best, not really a fan of the more recent releases, I can't stand the Bourne films either
    ^MI III gets better with age, and MI:IV is a must see.

And I created this thread for precisely this reason, simply discussing our favorite action series/films randomly.
    FireSkull wrote:

Funny thing is Chuck was actually in Enter The Dragon. Yeah Lee is a better fighter, so is Jackie Chan but Chuck was good in his prime. He was world karate champion until he retired and started making films. Nowadays though he's more famous for his facts (did you know his tears can cure cancer? it's a shame he never cries).
    As far as I know, Chuck was not in this movie, but he was in the movie "Way of the Dragon".

And I don't consider Jackie Chan as that good a martial artist. 8-}

Even chuck said that he was nowhere close to Lee.
    But Chuck Norris facts are awesome!
    Chuck-Norris-vs-Arnold-and-Sylvester-Stallone.jpg

LOL
    FireSkull wrote:
    FireSkull wrote:

As far as I know, Chuck was not in this movie, but he was in the movie "Way of the Dragon".

And I don't consider Jackie Chan as that good a martial artist. 8-}

Even chuck said that he was nowhere close to Lee.
    But Chuck Norris facts are awesome!
    Chuck-Norris-vs-Arnold-and-Sylvester-Stallone.jpg

LOL

Yeah it was Way Of The Dragon, my bad. Jackie Chan has made some crap films (mainly unfunny comedies), but he's a great martial artist who does all his own stunts and fight scenes. Films like Drunken Master, Who Am I and Master With Cracked Fingers (to name a few), show Jackie's martial arts skills. But yeah, I don't think Chuck is as good as Lee, but I put Jackie almost on par with him.

And nobody messes with Chuck Norris's moustache and lives.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,368
    Chuck Norris is overrated. Granted, he could thrash me in one punch, but that isn't saying much. Anybody could do that.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Chuck Norris is overrated. Granted, he could thrash me in one punch, but that isn't saying much. Anybody could do that.

Back in his glory days he was pretty good but I think he's slow now. He's more famous nowadays for his facts more than anything else.
    @thelivingroyale, I agree, and the facts became annoying really fast. Now, consider it hypocritical, but I love the Dos Equis guy and his quotes. They are Chuck Norris-ish, but they're a breath of fresh air. I don't hear them everywhere I go, thankfully. But, Chuck Norris was good in his prime. Even Steven Seagal, who is old and bloated now, had some great movies in his younger years. 'Out for Justice' is still a very entertaining action movie, and William Forsythe was a very creepy villain in that. If you haven't seen it, give it a shot.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Back in his glory days he was pretty good but I think he's slow now. He's more famous nowadays for his facts more than anything else.

I think he's rather old now than slow :P
    I love the cartman avi btw.
    @Creasy47 well if you take his 'facts' seriously, you'll find them annoying for sure. :)