Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2019 Posts: 13,894
    Wonders why the 'Would GoldenEye have been a success with Dalton' thread keeps getting more posts, so makes a new post to ask why. Could have had three less posts (four including this one), if you hadn't posted. ;)
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Unequivocally, Goldeneye was written with Dalton in mind. Just look at the films that succeeded and it's quite clear. Barbara Brocoli has stated in the documentary Everything or Nothing that she felt Dalton was ahead of his time and it's clear with the reception of Craig's portrayal that this is certainly the case. Craig isn't doing anything revolutionary. Dalton, in the same documentary, claims that the studio had already started working on what would've been his third film prior to his departure.

I believe that Goldeneye would've been a superior film with Dalton in it. I've always found Brosnan's portrayal in GE noticeably restrained. I can only image Dalton taking on Sean Bean in this film. I think the entire narrative of Goldeneye is right in the wheelhouse of Dalton.

Do I think that it would have been a success? It's often argued that Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me were the films that put their respective Bond's on the map. The Man With The Golden Gun was not well received and this did not affect the success of TSWLM. The success of any given Bond is not only down to their individual portrayal, but also due to the writing, score so on and so-forth. Given the success of The Living Daylights and the strength of the script of Goldeneye I do believe that it would've been as successful with Dalton in it. I can understand why Brosnan was introduced given the state of the franchise at this time.
    B17 was well in its way as early as 1991. Then all the legal nonsense held it up. That B17 plot from 91 set in China/Hong Kong sounded good to me.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Don't see why it wouldn't have been successful. I just don't think it would have had as big an impact (especially in NA) but to think it would be a commercial failure seems a bit ridiculous to me.

But I am happy we got Brosnan, Dalton just lacks the debonair spirit that my James Bond needs.
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    Don't see why it wouldn't have been successful. I just don't think it would have had as big an impact (especially in NA) but to think it would be a commercial failure seems a bit ridiculous to me.

But I am happy we got Brosnan, Dalton just lacks the debonair spirit that my James Bond needs.

Agree, but I'd argue that a new Bond film will always have more impact then those that proceed it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2020 Posts: 45,489
    Getafix wrote: »
    B17 was well in its way as early as 1991. Then all the legal nonsense held it up. That B17 plot from 91 set in China/Hong Kong sounded good to me.

The China setting was first planned for Bond 16( with General Kwang, an arms and antique dealer, as the villain). As so many other ideas, it got reworked, postponed a couple times and finally used in TND, sort of. Still waiting for that motorcycle chase on the Chinese Wall, but I suppose that got reworked into something else as well.

The China setting was first planned for Bond 16( with General Kwang, an arms and antique dealer, as the villain). As so many other ideas, it got reworked, postponed a couple times and finally used in TND, sort of. Still waiting for that motorcycle chase on the Chinese Wall, but I suppose that got reworked into something else as well.

Plus a planned punch up in an armour museum!!
    Didn't Tomb Raider do the motorcycle chase?
    Would have loved to see Dalton on motorcycle though! Ah, well, still 2 brilliant Bond movies to savour from him!
    Dalton would have suited a motorbike.
    I've often thought Bond should have had a chase on a Vespa though. Through an Italian hill town or something.
    I've often thought Bond should have had a chase on a Vespa though. Through an Italian hill town or something.

Sounds like something we would've seen in the Moore era.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Would have loved to see Dalton on motorcycle though! Ah, well, still 2 brilliant Bond movies to savour from him!

We’re all worse off for the legal troubles surrounding ownership of the franchise that followed the release of his second outing as Bond, as the years of delays led Timothy Dalton to stand down as 007. If he had stayed on for more than two films, he would certainly receive far more recognition than he currently does. Regardless, his impact on the emotional depth of Bond, and the darker side of his character is undeniable. It’s being felt even more so now, a quarter century after his brief run, in the grittier direction Craig has taken him this past decade. For him to have left such an indelible mark on such an iconic character with just two films (though you could argue with just Licence to Kill), is a major achievement.

GE would have been a far superior film with Dalton as Bond.

Perhaps his kind of James Bond isn't everybody's favourite, but any member of the public labouring under the delusion that he wasn't any good is sadly mistaken. There's definitely enough in The Living Daylights and Licence To Kill to justify revisiting Timothy Dalton's take on this most iconic of characters. He's Fleming's Bond.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

We’re all worse off for the legal troubles surrounding ownership of the franchise that followed the release of his second outing as Bond, as the years of delays led Timothy Dalton to stand down as 007. If he had stayed on for more than two films, he would certainly receive far more recognition than he currently does. Regardless, his impact on the emotional depth of Bond, and the darker side of his character is undeniable. It’s being felt even more so now, a quarter century after his brief run, in the grittier direction Craig has taken him this past decade. For him to have left such an indelible mark on such an iconic character with just two films (though you could argue with just Licence to Kill), is a major achievement.

GE would have been a far superior film with Dalton as Bond.

Perhaps his kind of James Bond isn't everybody's favourite, but any member of the public labouring under the delusion that he wasn't any good is sadly mistaken. There's definitely enough in The Living Daylights and Licence To Kill to justify revisiting Timothy Dalton's take on this most iconic of characters. He's Fleming's Bond.

I've alway felt that Connery's Bond (Dr. No/FRWL) was Fleming's Bond.

The novels give the character these sort of brutish, calculated, confident yet vulnerable qualities to the character, something Connery managed to really pull off. Something about Dalton just comes across as slightly incompetent and perplexed by the situations he finds himself in.

I can't help but picture Dr. No Connery everytime I pick up the Fleming's. Now THAT is Fleming's Bond.
    Fleming Bond or not, Connery was the best.
    Octopussy wrote: »

Sounds like something we would've seen in the Moore era.

Those were the days!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Calculated and vulnerable aren't qualities applicable to Connery's Bond. He's closer than most to the literary Bond, in DN and FRWL. But Lazenby and Dalton are closer still. That said, we haven't yet seen a 100% accurate depiction of Fleming's Bond... yet.
    Calculated and vulnerable aren't qualities applicable to Connery's Bond. He's closer than most to the literary Bond, in DN and FRWL. But Lazenby and Dalton are closer still. That said, we haven't yet seen a 100% accurate depiction of Fleming's Bond... yet.

Vulnerable, not weak. Connery's Bond in Dr. No shows this without coming across as feeble. He remains in control even when under pressure. He is calculated and knows he is fallable. He ends up in situations he knows he may not escape but doesn't showcase desperation without possible gain.

Dalton is close-ish, but I have to disagree that we haven't had the perfect representation of the literary Bond, we have, and it's Connery in his first 2 films.

Vulnerable, not weak. Connery's Bond in Dr. No shows this without coming across as feeble. He remains in control even when under pressure. He is calculated and knows he is fallable. He ends up in situations he knows he may not escape but doesn't showcase desperation without possible gain.

Dalton is close-ish, but I have to disagree that we haven't had the perfect representation of the literary Bond, we have, and it's Connery in his first 2 films.

The last Bond I read was Goldfinger while travelling through Italy about 12 months ago, but from recollection Fleming has often depicted Bond as feeling desperate in tight situations and often making mistakes. He feels pain and you're aware of it. Connery to me is the definitive cinematic Bond, but I feel that the characteristics you mentioned above - control even when under pressure, doesn't showcase desperation - are not inline with Fleming's character, IMO. Connery's Bond was the man every man wanted to be, but never could be. Fleming's character feels much more relatable as a human. You share his emotions and feelings. You bleed with him. That's why Lazenby and Dalton are the closest we've had to a portrayal of the literary Bond on screen.

Connery was best in his first two, but he is not Fleming's Bond, he is Terrance Young's Bond.
    I'm happy to argue the toss over Connery, Laz and Dalts. It's a fun conversation. But we all know Sean wins out in the end.

Connery was best in his first two, but he is not Fleming's Bond, he is Terrance Young's Bond.

Agreed. It's well documented that Young shaped Connery into his image of what he felt Bond should be.
    Octopussy wrote: »

Agreed. It's well documented that Young shaped Connery into his image of what he felt Bond should be.

You could argue his sense of style, how he dresses and his charm with the women would be influenced by Young (those elements are still present with Laz/Dalton) but strip those layers away and everything else is pure Fleming.

Lazenby is too jovial, lacks the internal and outward frustration that Connery displays, while never showcasing the more calculated aspects of the character (always thinking ahead)

Dalton is close, but always comes across as perplexed and gives off a slightly goofy, less precise performance to his Bond. Fleming's Bond is all internal, you can see he is hurt, vulnerable physically but he never lets the opposition take note. He remains far more calm on the outside but constantly struggling internally.

Call me crazy, but Fleming's Bond, atleast pre OHMSS, reminds me of Connery. Just my opinion though. Agree to disagree, I guess.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 11,425
    I think it's definitely advisable to refer to Fleming (note to Brosnan, oops too late), but a successful film interpretation must also bring a lot more. Connery and Moore knew this instinctively.

I don't personally think anyone has really matched those 2 since. Of course I like all the other's performances apart from Brozza, but none of them really achieve the same heights or consistency.

Let's face it, the character in the books is not very interesting. Maybe Dalton's mistake was trying to play it too close to the books?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I find Fleming’s Bond to be a very interesting character, but it’s his internal dialogue that reveals the depth of the man. Which doesn’t transfer to the screen so well.

+1
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I find Fleming’s Bond to be a very interesting character, but it’s his internal dialogue that reveals the depth of the man. Which doesn’t transfer to the screen so well.

+100
    So why does there seem to be such a widely held view that Dalton was the one who best brought Fleming's Bond to the screen?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    To quote dear Alec...why can't this thread be a good boy and just die! :)
    I think Dalton is regularly labeled closest to Fleming's Bond because his Bond was more vulnerable and less quip-happy than his predecessors, much like Fleming's Bond. Connery and Moore had their vulnerable moments but their characterizations were based on Bond being fundamentally unflappable, unlike Fleming's Bond. Dalton was the first brooding, slightly melancholy Bond--the Bond found in the opening chapter of Fleming's Goldfinger. He wasn't unflappable, he let things get under his skin. It also helped that both of Dalton's films included sizable doses of Fleming material that played to Dalton's strengths; witness his disgust with his job in TLD and his seething thirst to revenge Leiter in LTK.
    I know we have the Everything or Nothing docu, but I really feel like we need in depth interviews with people like Dalton while they're still alive about their take on the character. As a historical record. A shame we don't really have that for Connery.
    It is a shame as I seem to remember him doing at least one Oscar type skit with Sir Rog quite happily over the years.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Nice. A good best supporting actor line up as well. What happened to Kevin Kline? He was a good comic actor.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Of all the Bonds those two were the only ones that were friends with each other, before and after Bond. When Connery was in the early part of his career, Moore basically showed him the ropes on show business. Then when Connery vacated the role a second time after DAF he recommended EON look into Moore as his replacement.

That’s a kind of dedication I’ve never seen between any of the other Bonds, even though they’ve all supported each other through media. Except maybe Lazenby, who never seemed to get along with any of the actors, even having a feud with Brosnan.