No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited March 2020 Posts: 10,512
    Univex wrote: »
    I know at least one Bond fan that has since died from covid-19 and I suppose he would've loved to see it on a phone, on a streaming service, or whatever. To call people on their death beds or sick and worried they'll die, Philistines, at this point, is simply nonsensical.

I adore cinema and the artistic and cultural merit of cinema. That being said, these are war times, and as such, we have to adapt and think outside our preference boxes.

How many Bond fans will die and have been dying without watching the film because the industry insists on a venue that may be dead by next year? And if they do open theatres by then, how many people will feel comfortable enough to go to these crowded places? There will be post traumatic syndrome, diverse fobias, social anxiety,...

People have to make peace with the fact that this whole situation is forcing the world to change rapidly, and if we want to survive, literal and psychologically, we'll have to revise, reform, renew, rethink.

If one day all of this goes away, then there will be a time to come back to what we love, the way we love it. Now, we are at war.

I won't be distraught if the film gets released on the telly, on the web,... There are bigger problems to worry about. Bond would be a welcomed and cool balm. That's all.

It's not as if it getting released online would be the end of the world as we know it. Because the end of the world as we know it has been happening for the last week or so.

Let's all adapt and try our best to be our best, shall we?

Hold your horses. That isn’t what’s I said, is it? Don’t put words in my mouth.

I said in specific circumstances, i.e. on my death bed, I’d lap up the chance to see it via a phone.

However, and this was in response to a specific post about Netflix hopefully killing off theatres, I recognise there are many Philistines out there. Particularly here in the UK where we are playing catch-up with places like Germany who’ve ring-fenced 50bn to help workers in the freelance sectors of the arts/culture.

As someone who is in that sector I’m exceptionally lucky to still be in work unlike manly of my colleagues who are up shit creek without a paddle.

I’m fully aware of the horrific nature of this virus, and it’s impact is far reaching, but it doesn’t nullify all lines of conversation. I’m happy to wait and see this movie in theatres, even if it takes 18 months.

EDIT: Just to confirm - this is a point of view that I hold regardless of the current situation as the conversation of streaming v cinema is not a new one. I’m in no way being flippant about the impact this may have on people physically and mentally (myself included) going forward. Just to clarify.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    How about releasing the film for 60th anniversary :D , i believe virus & all the panic, anxiety would be gone by that time.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am very lucky to own a large screen and projector so I would be fine to pay 20 $/EUR to watch the new Bond film at home - still would prefer to go to the cinema though. I like the experience. But it‘s so unclear by now what the world will look like in November.

Everything may be back to normal - means: All movie theaters are open to 100% of their capacity again - then NTTD has a huge chance to make more money than Skyfall did. But if it‘s open to maybe 50% EoN may think about another move or really a digital release.

I guess a lot comes down to these experimental digital releases and how much they can make utilizing this model. It will be very interesting to see.

Anyway - I don‘t mind to wait until November for NTTD ... but waiting another year then would really annoy me.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I am very lucky to own a large screen and projector so I would be fine to pay 20 $/EUR to watch the new Bond film at home - still would prefer to go to the cinema though. I like the experience. But it‘s so unclear by now what the world will look like in November.

Everything may be back to normal - means: All movie theaters are open to 100% of their capacity again - then NTTD has a huge chance to make more money than Skyfall did. But if it‘s open to maybe 50% EoN may think about another move or really a digital release.

I guess a lot comes down to these experimental digital releases and how much they can make utilizing this model. It will be very interesting to see.

Anyway - I don‘t mind to wait until November for NTTD ... but waiting another year then would really annoy me.

They will not postpone if for another year.

What happened to this thread? :-?
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Contraband wrote: »
    Is this really Malek? At the same time it does looks like Safins lair at Pinewood. The insta-account that reposted it also claims it's from Esquire Spain:

New promo photo for the 25th James Bond movie “No time to die” in @esquirees by @gregwilliamsphotography

Christ! He looks pretty terrifying in this photo.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »
    I know at least one Bond fan that has since died from covid-19 and I suppose he would've loved to see it on a phone, on a streaming service, or whatever. To call people on their death beds or sick and worried they'll die, Philistines, at this point, is simply nonsensical.

I adore cinema and the artistic and cultural merit of cinema. That being said, these are war times, and as such, we have to adapt and think outside our preference boxes.

How many Bond fans will die and have been dying without watching the film because the industry insists on a venue that may be dead by next year? And if they do open theatres by then, how many people will feel comfortable enough to go to these crowded places? There will be post traumatic syndrome, diverse fobias, social anxiety,...

People have to make peace with the fact that this whole situation is forcing the world to change rapidly, and if we want to survive, literal and psychologically, we'll have to revise, reform, renew, rethink.

If one day all of this goes away, then there will be a time to come back to what we love, the way we love it. Now, we are at war.

I won't be distraught if the film gets released on the telly, on the web,... There are bigger problems to worry about. Bond would be a welcomed and cool balm. That's all.

It's not as if it getting released online would be the end of the world as we know it. Because the end of the world as we know it has been happening for the last week or so.

Let's all adapt and try our best to be our best, shall we?

Hold your horses. That isn’t what’s I said, is it? Don’t put words in my mouth.

I said in specific circumstances, i.e. on my death bed, I’d lap up the chance to see it via a phone.

However, and this was in response to a specific post about Netflix hopefully killing off theatres, I recognise there are many Philistines out there. Particularly here in the UK where we are playing catch-up with places like Germany who’ve ring-fenced 50bn to help workers in the freelance sectors of the arts/culture.

As someone who is in that sector I’m exceptionally lucky to still be in work unlike manly of my colleagues who are up shit creek without a paddle.

I’m fully aware of the horrific nature of this virus, and it’s impact is far reaching, but it doesn’t nullify all lines of conversation. I’m happy to wait and see this movie in theatres, even if it takes 18 months.

EDIT: Just to confirm - this is a point of view that I hold regardless of the current situation as the conversation of streaming v cinema is not a new one. I’m in no way being flippant about the impact this may have on people physically and mentally (myself included) going forward. Just to clarify.

Yes, I didn't read what you said as being flippant or dismissive either and I am in full agreement with you regarding streaming. I can only speak for myself, but I am also happy to wait.
    Not a single "big chief" of a major studio has said that they will turn to streaming. WWII has been delayed until August.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Not a single "big chief" of a major studio has said that they will turn to streaming. WWII has been delayed until August.

We're aware.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,400

You can't release on streaming. These films costs a lot of money and they need theatrical distribution. Otherwise the current business model of $200m+ blockbusters cannot survive in the marketplace without global cinema releases. This is the ecosystem that model operates in.

The absolute worst case scenario is that all 2020 blockbusters become 2021 blockbusters.

This is more likely than people think as all the big 2021 film currently being filmed have stopped filming and may well not be ready for 2021.......
    Is this really Malek? At the same time it does looks like Safins lair at Pinewood. The insta-account that reposted it also claims it's from Esquire Spain:

New promo photo for the 25th James Bond movie “No time to die” in @esquirees by @gregwilliamsphotography

Adore this picture. Great find @Contraband

Clearly from the latest 'Bond on Set' or whatever it is that Greg William is working on....can we assume that the photo is Malek in costume?

We have only seen Safin in two costumes.....

You can't release on streaming. These films costs a lot of money and they need theatrical distribution. Otherwise the current business model of $200m+ blockbusters cannot survive in the marketplace without global cinema releases. This is the ecosystem that model operates in.

The absolute worst case scenario is that all 2020 blockbusters become 2021 blockbusters.

This is more likely than people think as all the big 2021 film currently being filmed have stopped filming and may well not be ready for 2021.......

This is a good, original point. I could have sworn I read it somewhere before, though! ;)
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497

We're aware.

I know that all of us are aware. This streaming panic is not necessary at all.

Suaimhneas.

We're aware.

I know that all of us are aware. This streaming panic is not necessary at all.

Suaimhneas.

It's an interesting conversation though, mo chara!
    But I'm here to counterattack ;-)

Sláinte.

:)>-
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

Adore this picture. Great find @Contraband

Clearly from the latest 'Bond on Set' or whatever it is that Greg William is working on....can we assume that the photo is Malek in costume?

We have only seen Safin in two costumes.....

@Pierce2Daniel I can't find the damn source, spanish magazine. Frustating. I would assume there's more pics of him from the set.

And I don't think it's Safin's clothes at all. Rami is dressed as himself in designers suit (Tom Ford maybe) for the photoshoot and Greg W / the magazine have just placed him in that cool environment.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'd honestly be okay with it going to streaming/digital purchase if this continues beyond reasonable control. Certainly I'd prefer to see a new Bond up on the big screen but current events are unprecedented. The global landscape is changing by the day. I'd happily set up some time during quarantine to watch the film completely undistracted in the comfort of my home. It's not ideal but there are bigger things to worry about than a new Bond film, I'm afraid. In the grand scheme of things it's just not that important. Yes, the film cost a lot of money, but it's also not making any money by seeing no release at all in the near future. Sitting on it for two years seems unlikely.

Side note - I'm not sure why some people think that streaming = watching it on your phone. I wouldn't want to experience a new Bond for the first time on my phone, but streamed to my 4K television? Why not.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,416

How much glass and highed there wil be this time..

;)

Deisgn/look already look like inprovement (very Dr No/GE), with i hope longer use of it too. If wil be big los if not.

• TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Sorry, this is not the right threat but I felt to share. All cinemas are closed in Germany but we can support them online. Go to hilfdeinemkino.de and pick your local theatre. Then you can support that theatre in streaming cinema ads.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    TripAces wrote: »
    I love them all. Well, except for this one:
    hqdefault.jpg

Think that's bad? Hold my beer...

https://drivetribe.com/p/is-this-1987-aston-martin-lagonda-Farm5vPdR1Kj2l3u_JcJSQ?iid=YSoOwbWfRX6OrzdsWBELWw

Oh my, they made it worse!!
    Brilliant ;)

I think it’s extremely good looking.

For a hearse, I mean.
    How about releasing the film for 60th anniversary :D , i believe virus & all the panic, anxiety would be gone by that time.

Split the film into two. Release part 1 (or an excert, as a short-film) on streaming services to generate interest, and then the actual film at movie theaters, when things are finally better.

Just a thought!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I haven't been on here in a while but hearing about the possible Safin rape stuff doesn't sit right with me to be honest. Mainly because it's a tough subject to navigate and I think it takes away an element from most Bond movies, in that we're meant to almost like the villain or feel like there is an underlying feeling of "well he has got a point". I think if you added that hideous crime to Safin's character it would be hard to enjoy the thrill ride of the Bond film and it would feel out of place to have any one liners or gags at all.
    In the current climate I can't see them going down that route

As for the streaming debate, I'm conflicted with this. After the years of waiting I'll take this film however it's presented frankly, it's been too long as it is without adding a further delay but I completely understand the argument about showing the film in cinemas because it's part of the experience.

There's something truly magical about sitting in the cinema, the lights go down, then you hear that magnificent Bond theme roar around the room, then white dot slowly begins to dance across the screen finally Bond strides in confidently turns and fires. In this moment you sit back and think I'm about witness something special and all your problems dissolve for 2 hours or so. You're transported into this amazing world that is James Bond, and honestly it's hard to replicate at home
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    edited March 2020 Posts: 43
    Of course as Bond fans and (presumably) fans of cinema altogether, we want the theatrical experience. Nothing matches it. But with how many fans have passed away from this virus, and with talk of a second wave potentially coming in Autumn, it's possible that the film can be delayed again.

With that said, we have to take into account the marketing already spent on the film (we've had quite the marketing campaign for approx. 6 months and a slew of trailers/TV spots since December) which has already cost EON/Universal millions. If that's ramped up again in the summertime, only for the film to get delayed AGAIN, that's millions more. I think it's best for them to cut their losses and release it online if November is a bust. Spending another 30+ million (or whatever the number was) on ramping up the marketing past that is a terrible move, and I would hope that they know that.

Few things provide the excitement that the lights going down and the gunbarrel beginning can bring, but for the sake of other fans who might not see the film, I'd be perfectly content with watching it on a television screen.
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'd honestly be okay with it going to streaming/digital purchase if this continues beyond reasonable control. Certainly I'd prefer to see a new Bond up on the big screen but current events are unprecedented. The global landscape is changing by the day. I'd happily set up some time during quarantine to watch the film completely undistracted in the comfort of my home. It's not ideal but there are bigger things to worry about than a new Bond film, I'm afraid. In the grand scheme of things it's just not that important. Yes, the film cost a lot of money, but it's also not making any money by seeing no release at all in the near future. Sitting on it for two years seems unlikely.

Side note - I'm not sure why some people think that streaming = watching it on your phone. I wouldn't want to experience a new Bond for the first time on my phone, but streamed to my 4K television? Why not.

The reason I brought up the streaming conversation in the first place was because I personally cannot even conceive of watching a Bond film at home for the first time, no matter how big the screen, but there is another generation of fans now that could and would find it acceptable. which blows my mind. I'm hoping Bond stays cinema experience.
    delfloria wrote: »

The reason I brought up the streaming conversation in the first place was because I personally cannot even conceive of watching a Bond film at home for the first time, no matter how big the screen, but there is another generation of fans now that could and would find it acceptable. which blows my mind. I'm hoping Bond stays cinema experience.

Nobody, ever, said that Bond will cease to be "cinema experience".
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Another still of Rami - photoshoot for different magazines - at Safin's lair, 007-stage

DxxanX8.jpg

Also have some new photos compiled into montage (have 40 of those). Not the best quality but still..

NbYeS5f.jpg
    ilMWcWz.jpg
    PTsgC3z.jpg
    F6cqFpn.jpg
    3TnpbA9.jpg
    7dmwX4w.jpg
    Thank you once again, @Contraband
    delfloria wrote: »

Nobody, ever, said that Bond will cease to be "cinema experience".

I did.
    New video with Daniel Craig, Rory Kinnear, Ben Whishaw (and Rachel Weisz)

Also, Weisz should be in Bond 26. Make her M!!!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    New video with Daniel Craig, Rory Kinnear, Ben Whishaw (and Rachel Weisz)

Also, Weisz should be in Bond 26. Make her M!!!

Don't forget Naomie Harris!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    His haircut alone should shoot down any rumors of re-shoots.
  • Can someone at EON please leak the Boyle/Hodge script so we have something to talk about until November? Thank you!