No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited March 2020 Posts: 972
    ertert wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I refuse to see the most epic modern Bond film ever on a bloody laptop.

You really need to stop taking everything so seriously.

@imranbecks, it.will.not.happen.

I doubt it will either and I'm sure Barbara would rather delay delay delay until 2022 rather than release to streaming but good lord that would suck.

Like I said in my previous post, it seems possible. Heck even Wrestlemania is gonna be in front of an empty arena and that's totally unheard of and would be so weird. Many movies have already been released early via digital download. Invisible Man, The Hunt, Bad Boys, just to name a few. Unless things improve, I see the same happening for NTTD. Who knows right, let's wait and see. Only wishful thinking on my part. Let's hope and pray it all improves quickly so we can all see it in the cinemas as it should be.

Stay healthy.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 490
    imranbecks wrote: »

@imranbecks, it.will.not.happen.

I doubt it will either and I'm sure Barbara would rather delay delay delay until 2022 rather than release to streaming but good lord that would suck.

Like I said in my previous post, it seems possible. Heck even Wrestlemania is gonna be in front of an empty arena and that's totally unheard of and would be so weird. Many movies have already been released early via digital download. Invisible Man, The Hunt, Bad Boys, just to name a few. Unless things improve, I see the same happening for NTTD. Who knows right, let's wait and see. Only wishful thinking on my part. Let's hope and pray it all improves quickly so we can all see it in the cinemas as it should be.

Stay healthy.

I just can't see it given how much Bond is rooted in tradition and the producers seem to march to their own drum. I respect them for it and praise them for the business savvy of being the first studio to delay.

I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty decent home theater setup so I would MUCH rather have it out on streaming in November rather than have to wait 1-2 more years for the pandemic to end. There simply isn't any scenario in which this is all gone in 6 months.

I respect everybody's differing opinions on this and maybe I will be wrong and they'll give in to the pressure to stream it just so they can make some money and not be strung out indefinitely. I would happily pay for it.
    I wonder how much they would earn from a digital only release.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

You know you can cast the video downloaded to a TV right? Surely better than watching through a laptop.

Yeah I know I know. :)

Obviously if EoN will go this way I will watch on day one... but I really hate this idea. Experiencing a Bond film in a theater is a joy: watching it at home for the first time would just suck. Anyway as I said before I don't think BB would allow that.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,548
    Univex wrote: »
    I love them all. Well, except for this one:
    hqdefault.jpg

Think that's bad? Hold my beer...

https://drivetribe.com/p/is-this-1987-aston-martin-lagonda-Farm5vPdR1Kj2l3u_JcJSQ?iid=YSoOwbWfRX6OrzdsWBELWw
    I have a strong feeling the movie will be released digitally come November if the situation doesn't improve worldwide. Right now it doesn't look like it's gonna improve TBH. I'm sure I speak for some, or many Bond fans when I say that we just want to see the movie. So for me, i don't mind it being released digitally. And the last thing I want is for them to keep pushing the release to a later date. Was planning to watch it at IMAX but oh well.... Digital release is still better than not getting to see it at all or if it keeps getting delayed and delayed till who knows when this whole Covid-19 will end.

Agreed 100%. Waiting another year+ to see the film would really suck. Most pandemics last years, not months. Anybody who thinks this will be over by November is ignoring all currently available evidence. Especially with how poorly many governments are responding to this. They should release it digitally and then get right going on B26 rather than waiting another 3 years to even start it.

As far as Safin and the car chase, it was stated in the Total Film article that Safin is commanding his minions from a helicopter, so I don't think he drives in it. We will see though!

"Over" is relative term right now. I don't think anyone, besides the American President, has any illusion that COVID-19 will be eliminated or resolved by November. The hope is to ride out the climax into early Spring so that we don't overtax our resources. COVID-19 will be with us for the foreseeable future. November 2020 may not be like November 2019 but it hopefully, in terms of the economy and medicine, will be better than March 2020.
    Burgess wrote: »
    I have a strong feeling the movie will be released digitally come November if the situation doesn't improve worldwide. Right now it doesn't look like it's gonna improve TBH. I'm sure I speak for some, or many Bond fans when I say that we just want to see the movie. So for me, i don't mind it being released digitally. And the last thing I want is for them to keep pushing the release to a later date. Was planning to watch it at IMAX but oh well.... Digital release is still better than not getting to see it at all or if it keeps getting delayed and delayed till who knows when this whole Covid-19 will end.

Agreed 100%. Waiting another year+ to see the film would really suck. Most pandemics last years, not months. Anybody who thinks this will be over by November is ignoring all currently available evidence. Especially with how poorly many governments are responding to this. They should release it digitally and then get right going on B26 rather than waiting another 3 years to even start it.

As far as Safin and the car chase, it was stated in the Total Film article that Safin is commanding his minions from a helicopter, so I don't think he drives in it. We will see though!

"Over" is relative term right now. I don't think anyone, besides the American President, has any illusion that COVID-19 will be eliminated or resolved by November. The hope is to ride out the climax into early Spring so that we don't overtax our resources. COVID-19 will be with us for the foreseeable future. November 2020 may not be like November 2019 but it hopefully, in terms of the economy and medicine, will be better than March 2020.

Agreed and fair enough, I just think it's completely unrealistic to think people will be going to the movies in November and I'm wondering what the financial implications are of delaying it another 1-2 years vs. releasing on streaming in November.

If they release go Google Play where you can pay $5 to rent it or $20 to buy it, or a subscriber-based platform like Netflix. I don't know how the economics of any of that work.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Am supposed to dislike the Valhalla....but it just so happens that I like it. I know it looks unconventional & it doesn't seem to suit Craig's grounded portrayal of Bond. Maybe the Valhalla looks like a Car meant for Brosnan's Bond....I think we're so used to Craig's Gritty take, that any form of technology that surfaces, just looks out of place.

But Craig's gritty, grounded take already went out the window with the last film. And that amphibian plane and the gattling guns of the DB5 in the NTTD trailers don't suggest that the new film builds on SP in this regard.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,882
    hqdefault.jpg

Ah the og Lagonda, an acquired taste, but I really like its wedge styling.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 3,164
    vzok wrote: »

Depends on pricing/how people access. A film like NTTD going digital sure as hell won't be the usual $20 to own, much less on a subscription service. Will be at least $20 for a 48-hour rental like with Emma, The Invisible Man and The Hunt.
    antovolk wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

Depends on pricing/how people access. A film like NTTD going digital sure as hell won't be the usual $20 to own, much less on a subscription service. Will be at least $20 for a 48-hour rental like with Emma, The Invisible Man and The Hunt.

It won't go digital....they will delay to November 2021 if they have to.

The likelihood is that the economy and the general health of the world will have improved somewhat by August. How dramatic that improvement is depends on the action we take now and the lows we are about to encounter.

This doesn't mean we will be 100% recovered. Far from it. Instead cinemas will open to 50% capacity and only a few venues at that. It'll be baby steps. All your big movies will struggle to be $1billion hits, but they will be vital in getting a dormant industry back on its feet - and most importantly, making people feel safe to go back to cinemas.

What really needs to happen now is for people to listen to the news and self-isolate. You don't get your James Bond film in November if you don't. You don't get all the other nice things you have been looking forward to if you don't listen. This isn't a sodding bank holiday. Or your chance to Instagram your new gym schedule at the park.

Staying at home is a dream. Take it easy.

Spread the word. Don't spread the germ.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,693
    Regardless of what happens to NTTD there is the possibility that the era of theatrical releases may be coming to an end. It may be a loooong time before people are comfortable being in a public theater and many people seem fine to view first run films on streaming.
    TripAces wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Think that's bad? Hold my beer...

https://drivetribe.com/p/is-this-1987-aston-martin-lagonda-Farm5vPdR1Kj2l3u_JcJSQ?iid=YSoOwbWfRX6OrzdsWBELWw

Oh my, they made it worse!!
    Brilliant ;)
    delfloria wrote: »
    Regardless of what happens to NTTD there is the possibility that the era of theatrical releases may be coming to an end. It may be a loooong time before people are comfortable being in a public theater and many people seem fine to view first run films on streaming.

I really hope not as I do enjoy going to the movies for the ones that deserve to be seen on a big screen but I think you are right.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah that does sound believable.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Theatrical releases are always going to be a thing, I would say. We may experience a shift in the way films in general are produced, and the excessive amounts that are spent on them, though.

I say that simply because the way the streaming model is currently (and it's pretty much the same across the board, regardless of whether it's Disney or Netflix), there's no way films costing $250million+ are going to be regularly premiered on platforms like that where they have no chance of recouping their cost.

What may happen is we'll see a reduction in the massive numbers of financially bloated blockbusters that are released every year. We'll still get films like that in theatres, while anything up to a mid-sized film could be put out on a streaming services where the numbers are more likely to balance out.

Agreed and fair enough, I just think it's completely unrealistic to think people will be going to the movies in November and I'm wondering what the financial implications are of delaying it another 1-2 years vs. releasing on streaming in November.

If they release go Google Play where you can pay $5 to rent it or $20 to buy it, or a subscriber-based platform like Netflix. I don't know how the economics of any of that work.

Good point but, anecdotally, if people can't be convinced not to go on Spring break then convincing them to come out to a theater in seven months won't be an issue.
    Theatrical releases are always going to be a thing, I would say. We may experience a shift in the way films in general are produced, and the excessive amounts that are spent on them, though.

I say that simply because the way the streaming model is currently (and it's pretty much the same across the board, regardless of whether it's Disney or Netflix), there's no way films costing $250million+ are going to be regularly premiered on platforms like that where they have no chance of recouping their cost.

What may happen is we'll see a reduction in the massive numbers of financially bloated blockbusters that are released every year. We'll still get films like that in theatres, while anything up to a mid-sized film could be put out on a streaming services where the numbers are more likely to balance out.

As much as I ALWAYS watch 007 films in theaters and NEVER watch them on video, I can't help but think that if theaters cease to be viable venues it is still more likely that blockbusters will be produced and released on streaming but their pricing will reflect their budgets as the norm in the future. Theaters make their money at the concession stands and not from the films themselves. Though I would HATE to see NTTD premiere digitally, I have the terrible feeling that NTTD will be released on streaming. Perhaps we'd see it on the big screen at a revival theater.
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah that does sound believable.

I don't see it. People would still be going to non-essential stores if local and national governments didn't force them into self-distancing/quarantine. Pound for pound, a night at the movies is still a relatively inexpensive form of mass entertainment. Warner Brothers could be optimistic in slotting WW84 for August but they're in contact with the same experts that governments/other industries are consulting. We'll have a good idea of where we're all at with this thing come mid-May.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

As much as I ALWAYS watch 007 films in theaters and NEVER watch them on video, I can't help but think that if theaters cease to be viable venues it is still more likely that blockbusters will be produced and released on streaming but their pricing will reflect their budgets as the norm in the future. Theaters make their money at the concession stands and not from the films themselves. Though I would HATE to see NTTD premiere digitally, I have the terrible feeling that NTTD will be released on streaming. Perhaps we'd see it on the big screen at a revival theater.

So we're not talking a subscription price when it comes to streaming, we're talking about a one-off payment for each film when it's released, ala NowTV? I don't know. It'd have to be a pretty hefty price hike and people were already complaining about the price of tickets for theaters as it was, in my experience. I just don't see it as a viable model, and if they increase the price to compensate for it then they're just delaying the inevitable.

It's apples and oranges in terms of production costs, but I am curious to see what sort of money THE INVISIBLE MAN did on its first day of release.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I'd watch it on my phone if I could. Not too precious about the cinema these days. They're generally populated by people that don't seem to want to watch a film with any real intent. Folk talk, eat really noisily, go on their mobiles, take 8 toilet breaks, etc.
    I hope Netflix and others finally kill theaters off. They've been dying out for years.
  • RC7RC7
    I'd watch it on my phone if I could. Not too precious about the cinema these days. They're generally populated by people that don't seem to want to watch a film with any real intent. Folk talk, eat really noisily, go on their mobiles, take 8 toilet breaks, etc.
    I hope Netflix and others finally kill theaters off. They've been dying out for years.

The idea of watching a new Bond film on a phone is the last of last resorts. In a hospital bed with COVID-19 and hours to live, sign me up. Otherwise, screw that. However, I do accept that most people are Philistines and have no genuine interest in the artistic/cultural merit of cinema.

Good point but, anecdotally, if people can't be convinced not to go on Spring break then convincing them to come out to a theater in seven months won't be an issue.

Good point right back.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I know at least one Bond fan that has since died from covid-19 and I suppose he would've loved to see it on a phone, on a streaming service, or whatever. To call people on their death beds or sick and worried they'll die, Philistines, at this point, is simply nonsensical.

I adore cinema and the artistic and cultural merit of cinema. That being said, these are war times, and as such, we have to adapt and think outside our preference boxes.

How many Bond fans will die and have been dying without watching the film because the industry insists on a venue that may be dead by next year? And if they do open theatres by then, how many people will feel comfortable enough to go to these crowded places? There will be post traumatic syndrome, diverse fobias, social anxiety,...

People have to make peace with the fact that this whole situation is forcing the world to change rapidly, and if we want to survive, literal and psychologically, we'll have to revise, reform, renew, rethink.

If one day all of this goes away, then there will be a time to come back to what we love, the way we love it. Now, we are at war.

I won't be distraught if the film gets released on the telly, on the web,... There are bigger problems to worry about. Bond would be a welcomed and cool balm. That's all.

It's not as if it getting released online would be the end of the world as we know it. Because the end of the world as we know it has been happening for the last week or so.

Let's all adapt and try our best to be our best, shall we?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861

I think folks' perceptions will shift pretty quickly. In a month or two those kids will most probably have a different point of view.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I know at least one Bond fan that has since died from covid-19 and I suppose he would've loved to see it on a phone, on a streaming service, or whatever. To call people on their death beds or sick and worried they'll die, Philistines, at this point, is simply nonsensical.

I adore cinema and the artistic and cultural merit of cinema. That being said, these are war times, and as such, we have to adapt and think outside our preference boxes.

How many Bond fans will die and have been dying without watching the film because the industry insists on a venue that may be dead by next year? And if they do open theatres by then, how many people will feel comfortable enough to go to these crowded places? There will be post traumatic syndrome, diverse fobias, social anxiety,...

People have to make peace with the fact that this whole situation is forcing the world to change rapidly, and if we want to survive, literal and psychologically, we'll have to revise, reform, renew, rethink.

If one day all of this goes away, then there will be a time to come back to what we love, the way we love it. Now, we are at war.

I won't be distraught if the film gets released on the telly, on the web,... There are bigger problems to worry about. Bond would be a welcomed and cool balm. That's all.

It's not as if it getting released online would be the end of the world as we know it. Because the end of the world as we know it has been happening for the last week or so.

Let's all adapt and try our best to be our best, shall we?

I basically agree with you. If it's November 2020 and there's no vaccine and I'm sitting in a theater and someone coughs or sneezes, I know it's going to take me right out of the film.

So at that point, if we're looking at 12-18 months from now for a vaccine, I'd rather the movie be (1) released on streaming or (2) released in summer or fall 2021.

I trust that BB and MGW will think this through. They did, after all, see that early April 2020 was untenable.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Will their judgment be even ahead of our own, @echo? Likely.
  • matt_u wrote: »

Get a projector. I have only ever seen Spectre projected, never seen it on a TV or a laptop.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Is this really Malek? At the same time it does looks like Safins lair at Pinewood. The insta-account that reposted it also claims it's from Esquire Spain:

New promo photo for the 25th James Bond movie “No time to die” in @esquirees by @gregwilliamsphotography