No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Wishes aside, what do you guys think will actually happen with NTTD if, God forbid, come November, the situation isn't much better and public gatherings are still limited or forbidden?

Will they postpone it further, will it be available for streaming, or something else entirely?

I have no idea myself.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Wishes aside, what do you guys think will actually happen with NTTD if, God forbid, come November, the situation isn't much better and public gatherings are still limited or forbidden?

Will they postpone it further, will it be available for streaming, or something else entirely?

I have no idea myself.

I'd like to say they'd release it digitally, but I have a feeling they'd just further delay it... maybe even another year.
    Or maybe April 2021.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

I have no idea myself.

I'd like to say they'd release it digitally, but I have a feeling they'd just further delay it... maybe even another year.
    Or maybe April 2021.

I don’t even want to think about ANOTHER delay. Let’s pray everything is back to normal by November.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    While the cinema is truly the perfect way to enjoy a new Bond film, I wouldn't oppose a simultaneous "on demand" option if November rolls around and we face another delay. Here's hoping for the best.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    New date

7qVC8RS.jpg
    Streaming? Watching a new Bond film on my home computer or device? Ugh.
    No thanks. If I have a choice of seeing it now streamed OR waiting for theater release in Nov./Dec., I will gladly wait for the theater release. I want to experience this film properly, get the full amount of enjoyment from it. That will not happen for me unless in a good theater.

Agreed. They are MOVIES not TV shows.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Where does all this "they will go for streaming" talk come from all of a sudden?
    Babs was asked about it recently I think and was non committal about the future
    I see. Well, she should never go for that.
    I doubt it is what she would want. But she said the audience and market will dictate what happens in the future.

I think it would be incredibly sad if that happened but who knows. The cinema industry is about to take a collosal knock. Who can say what the long term impact might be?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mtm wrote: »
    Have we seen a blank numberplate before? I thought I had a vague memory one, but that would seem to confirm some sort of gadget-plate changer.
    Yes and yes!

49668851536_3132ef676d_z.jpg
    Funny how I can spot the fake ones quite easily now: the real ones have much more delicate headlamp surrounds!
    Good spot. The way I tell them apart is the bonnet vent and roof is more curved on the fake one. Comparison here:

49669133942_0e72e79960_o.jpg
    I agree it's not going to happen for Bond, but it is rather fascinating to see they're doing that. Will we ever go back?

Things have changed forever now. Streaming was already gaining influence and power in the entertainment world; I figured previously it would be a decade or so before theater close up almost completely but it might be faster.

Look was happened to Blockbuster and Hollywood video. Sure, there are still some businesses like that around but streaming killed them. Streaming might kill movie theaters as well.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Have we seen a blank numberplate before? I thought I had a vague memory one, but that would seem to confirm some sort of gadget-plate changer.
    Yes and yes!

Funny how I can spot the fake ones quite easily now: the real ones have much more delicate headlamp surrounds!
    Good spot. The way I tell them apart is the bonnet vent and roof is more curved on the fake one. Comparison here:

Excellent job you did there, Q. ;)
    Haha, I'd love to take the credit, but I'd lose my job. I also have a mortgage. And two cats to feed. ;)
    Haha, I'd love to take the credit, but I'd lose my job. I also have a mortgage. And two cats to feed. ;)

So you're not dead? ;-)
  • I do remember that several times in recent years, Bond movies were available through Amazon Prime, meaning that anybody who was a Prime customer could watch them for free rather than having to pay a few dollars to rent or $10 to buy, so it's not completely uncharted waters for EON. In fact, if they were really smart, they'd make the pre-Craig movies available to Prime members for the next few months while everybody is going to be streaming movies in order to 1) make up for the lack of NTTD and 2) build up hype again going into November, maybe even get some people to rent/buy the Craig movies through Amazon who otherwise wouldn't.
    For perspective, think about why Uni would offer Trolls 2 and The Invisible Man online and not F9. The future for all movies may very well be as streaming exclusives or simultaneous launches on streaming and in a theater, but not in 2020 or 2021. This move was made out of necessity, not desire.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yes and yes!

Oh yeah- great photo. Isn't that weird about the roof? For the rollcage or just a bit wrong?
    The bonnet I can forgive because I bet the originals were all different shapes!
    Look at this one:
    aston-martin-db5-1963-1965-coupe-interior-3.jpg

Funny how the numberplates actually look different on those: must be an optical illusion though!
    I do remember that several times in recent years, Bond movies were available through Amazon Prime, meaning that anybody who was a Prime customer could watch them for free rather than having to pay a few dollars to rent or $10 to buy, so it's not completely uncharted waters for EON. In fact, if they were really smart, they'd make the pre-Craig movies available to Prime members for the next few months while everybody is going to be streaming movies in order to 1) make up for the lack of NTTD and 2) build up hype again going into November, maybe even get some people to rent/buy the Craig movies through Amazon who otherwise wouldn't.

Not a bad idea actually.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    They did an excellent job here. But personally, I'd never have chosen BMW's as donor cars. [-X
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Wow, good spot on the Astons, I didn't know the differences until now.
    One you know about the roof curve it almost changes the whole shape of the car from a front perspective.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    They did an excellent job here. But personally, I'd never have chosen BMW's as donor cars. [-X

Why not? They're an excellent choice. And they have the modern equivalent of the DB5's engine.

Why not? They're an excellent choice. And they have the modern equivalent of the DB5's engine.

Because I'm an Audi fan. [-X
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Because I'm an Audi fan. [-X

I don't think there's really an Audi (of that age) which would have worked for this though: the fast ones are mostly Quattros so you wouldn't get them to slide.

So you're not dead? ;-)
    No!

Well, at least not until November.
    Isn't that weird about the roof? For the rollcage or just a bit wrong?
    I suspect they had to make small changes on purpose to distinguish between original and remake, much in the same way I believe EON demand small differences when they allow third parties to replicate their props for sale.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I suspect they had to make small changes on purpose to distinguish between original and remake, much in the same way I believe EON demand small differences when they allow third parties to replicate their props for sale.

Nah it wouldn't be that: they're not selling these. Aston don't allow the Aston shaped grille to be copied, so if it were that it would look like this replica :)

f04041_297ed74a7381482abfced67cdcd55b6d~mv2.jpg

Real thing:

Aston_.Martin.DB3S.jpg

Nah it wouldn't be that: they're not selling these. Aston don't allow the Aston shaped grille to be copied, so if it were that it would look like this replica :)
    What I had in mind was, I thought I read somewhere last year that Aston were building DB5s again, for sale? Maybe these remakes have the same little changes like the ones in the film.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Just heard on the radio - all UK cinema chains closing due to CR. The decision to delay NTTD turned out to be the right move as the cinema chains weren't going to show it. Some of the states in the US have also shut down their cinemas.

Hopefully this is a short term move and things improve in the near future.
  • Yes the Eon/Universal/MGM decision to delay the release of NTTD for 7 months has been shown to be spot on. They were ahead of the game and secured their favourite Thanksgiving slot in the US. The abuse they received from some so-called fans was just ignorant and way out of line.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What I had in mind was, I thought I read somewhere last year that Aston were building DB5s again, for sale? Maybe these remakes have the same little changes like the ones in the film.

They are indeed, and you can actually see the prototype one here in the video at the top:
    https://www.esquire.com/uk/design/a31003673/no-time-to-die-aston-martin-james-bond/ (or at least it was there; it's not loading for me today), but that will have been made using a different construction technique to these carbon-fibre film car replicas. I don't know if the new continuation Goldfinger cars have been struck from the original bucks or what, but they are proper real Aston Martin DB5s so don't really have to differentiate from the originals- they're as real as the 60s cars. I guess there just will be differences as the originals were handmade and all a bit different.
    Plus everything underneath the bodywork will be totally different?