No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm all for streaming. Phone addiction has massively impacted the experience.

I know it was unintentional but I found this hugely ironic, considering how quite a sizeable chunk of streaming is done through mobile devices.
  • Home theatres can never replace a cinema experience, never.
    So true!

If there's a time to get experimental now is that time. Hollywood is slowly moving to a concurrent release structure of theatres and streaming anyways. Now is the time for that leap. Offer this bad boy on streaming. Heck, charge us higher than movie ticket prices if they need to. I will pay up.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I'm all for streaming. Phone addiction has massively impacted the experience.

I know it was unintentional but I found this hugely ironic, considering how quite a sizeable chunk of streaming is done through mobile devices.

No, that's a strange irony. Well spotted.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Anyone who streams a film through a phone, I feel sorry for you.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Seeing something so obviously geared towards a big screen experience (especially with the use of IMAX) on a much smaller screen seems like a big waste to me, personally.

But I'm still a huge fan of going to the cinema.

Quite right. Bond is event cinema in the truest sense. Screw streaming.

Indeed.

"Hey Dad, lets watch the new Bond on Friday!"
    "Sure thing! Where?"
    "The living room!"

It doesn't quite have the same magic.

I dunno. I get it for sure, but I grew up renting all the Bonds on VHS. At home, watching with my family and friends with all the popcorn and treats you could want. I never thought Bond had to be on the big screen to be enjoyed.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Seeing something so obviously geared towards a big screen experience (especially with the use of IMAX) on a much smaller screen seems like a big waste to me, personally.

Indeed.

"Sure thing! Where?"
    "The living room!"

I dunno. I get it for sure, but I grew up renting all the Bonds on VHS. At home, watching with my family and friends with all the popcorn and treats you could want. I never thought Bond had to be on the big screen to be enjoyed.

I get that, too. But I feel different about new releases. As @RC7 put it, it's an event.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 725
    Strange. I had the same exchange with my dad. But it was the Irishman. Both of us loved it, watching it in our living room. It wasn't any less of a experience. In fact, we paused the movie several times to get food and do our bodily necessities without having to worry about missing key scenes.

This reminds me of people who prefer 'real' books over digital books because "that nostalgic bum smell of real books".

Seems like an intangible feeling that has no real, tangible consequence. My son has been brought up on ebooks, he has no use of the bum smell of real books.
    Home theatres can never replace a cinema experience, never.
    I prefer my dedicated home theater with a Atmos setup and 4K projector, than going to the local movie theater. It's just more immersive, but to each his own.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Anyone who streams a film through a phone, I feel sorry for you.

I think watching on the phone is fine if you had already seen a movie, but yes, I never want to experience my first time watching a film on the phone.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I prefer my dedicated home theater with a Atmos setup and 4K projector, than going to the local movie theater. It's just more immersive, but to each his own.

I'm sure it's great to have that at your disposal (I'm working on building a screening room where I am, too!); but until such a setup is commonplace, the theatre remains the best option for Bond.
  • RC7RC7

Indeed.

"Sure thing! Where?"
    "The living room!"

I’m sure many of us did the same. My entire childhood was spent doing this but there’s nothing like the experience of a Bond on the big screen.

Indeed.

"Sure thing! Where?"
    "The living room!"

I’m sure many of us did the same. My entire childhood was spent doing this but there’s nothing like the experience of a Bond on the big screen.

There’s too much money in theatrical releases. Smaller films may move to a streaming model over the next few years but event films like Bond make too much money at the box office. Plus, more than any other film series, Bond films should be theater releases for as long as theaters are viable. Bond has been a theatrical experience for nearly 60 of the 132 years since the first film was made.
  • RC7RC7
    Burgess wrote: »

Indeed.

"Sure thing! Where?"
    "The living room!"

There’s too much money in theatrical releases. Smaller films may move to a streaming model over the next few years but event films like Bond make too much money at the box office. Plus, more than any other film series, Bond films should be theater releases for as long as theaters are viable. Bond has been a theatrical experience for nearly 60 of the 132 years since the first film was made.

Exactly.
    Strange. I had the same exchange with my dad. But it was the Irishman. Both of us loved it, watching it in our living room. It wasn't any less of a experience. In fact, we paused the movie several times to get food and do our bodily necessities without having to worry about missing key scenes.

This reminds me of people who prefer 'real' books over digital books because "that nostalgic bum smell of real books".

Seems like an intangible feeling that has no real, tangible consequence. My son has been brought up on ebooks, he has no use of the bum smell of real books.

Whereas I saw The Irishman twice in theatres, and the second time was with my Dad after it had been released on Netflix. I've watched it again since, but that second viewing was the one that was most absorbing. Screen size matters for certain films.
    Burgess wrote: »

Once again my hat is off to the powers that be that pulled the trigger first for NTTD. Cannot overstate the business savvy of making that move first.
  • At least moving to November will help in Oscar push, hopefully for acting as well as technical/musical categories. Dan Craig deserves an award for being best actor to play Bond.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Movie-wise, November all of a sudden feels comfortable for us Bond fans....considering what happened with F&F & Mulan. Although, we hope that before November, life returns to normal....not just for the sake of seeing a Bond film though.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Movie-wise, November all of a sudden feels comfortable for us Bond fans....considering what happened with F&F & Mulan. Although, we hope that before November, life returns to normal....not just for the sake of seeing a Bond film though.

Agreed.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yes. In hindsight, being the first big film to delay, and nabbing November, looks very smart.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It was hard to accept at first. Now, the delay looks very wise.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,541

I am thinking of doing the same thing for my father. But for me i still prefer theatres even if i would be the only guy in there lol.

You know i was watching batman begins with my cousin a while back at home, he have a bad habit of constantly rewind a particular scene to look into little details not saying it is wrong but it kind of kills the mood and breaks the link while watching the film, when you are in a theatre film cannot stop, rewind, forward upuntil it finished. It's more natural that way. I understand why people prefer at home, if people were more civil most of us would be having a blast in theatres.

I am thinking of doing the same thing for my father. But for me i still prefer theatres even if i would be the only guy in there lol.

You know i was watching batman begins with my cousin a while back at home, he have a bad habit of constantly rewind a particular scene to look into little details not saying it is wrong but it kind of kills the mood and breaks the link while watching the film, when you are in a theatre film cannot stop, rewind, forward upuntil it finished. It's more natural that way. I understand why people prefer at home, if people were more civil most of us would be having a blast in theatres.

I have fond memories of me going to my local theatre as a child watching Bond marathons. A couple of cheesy 70's/80's trailers, dim the light, the curtian going from 1.85.1 to 2.35.1 and then: the gunbarrel! But that was back in the day where other people were actually quiet. Now there are cellphones glaring and beeping, more people talking and whispering etc.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Is there any PDF version of the NTTD Total Film article? I'd love to read it.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    As long as I can I will always go and see a new Bond film at the cinema so I‘ll buy 2 tickets at least to see it with 2 groups of people. And then I hope NTTD will still be available for purchase on 4K for Christmas 2020.

I am all for streaming - but I still want to physically own certain Films (Connery + Craig Bond films, Blade Runner, Rear Window, To Catch A Thief ...). And nothing comes close to the Cinema when seeing such an event movie for the first time (for me).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 13,879
    For me, half the fun of seeing a Bond film in cinemas is purchasing the popcorn and drink packaging!

22544266213_14e2a6c7c0_w.jpg
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    QBranch wrote: »
    For me, half the fun of seeing a Bond film in cinemas is purchasing the popcorn and drink packaging!

Awesome. :-c
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    matt_u wrote: »
    Is there any PDF version of the NTTD Total Film article? I'd love to read it.

@matt_u Me to the rescue

https://docdro.id/iVQJnVJ
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    QBranch wrote: »

Hahaha well done