No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• They can do quite a bit with a TV budget these days. Most Netflix series look like they could be a big budget production, (Stranger Things, The Witcher, Altered Carbon come to mind). I think a $250 Million plus budget is a bit much for a Bond film. They might be able to stretch creatively with a more modest $125-150.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Yep time to panic it's now a pandemic by the World Health
    Organization https://bbc.in/2Q5zq9G
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Coronavirus: Poland, India, Lebanon, Kuwait Among New Countries To Close Cinemas
    https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-poland-india-lebanon-kuwait-among-new-countries-close-cinemas-1202879447

Show Stopper: Coronavirus Sends Hollywood Into Unprecedented Crisis
    https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/hollywood-coronavirus-entertainment-industry-movies-festivals-1203529795/
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    giphy.webp
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Yep time to panic it's now a pandemic by the World Health
    Organization https://bbc.in/2Q5zq9G

Good morning world, it was obvious since weeks...
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Coronavirus: Poland, India, Lebanon, Kuwait Among New Countries To Close Cinemas
    https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-poland-india-lebanon-kuwait-among-new-countries-close-cinemas-1202879447

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/hollywood-coronavirus-entertainment-industry-movies-festivals-1203529795/

Yikes...

In other news, who has read the new Total Film article? Lots of interesting stuff. Namely:
    • Fukunaga took Broccoli for dinner at his favourite Japanese restaurant in 2016 to pitch himself for for the director job. When he heard they hired Boyle, he was disappointed.
    • When Boyle quit, Fukunaga was on holiday and emailed Broccoli asking to be considered. They met with him and Daniel approved.
    • Fukunaga and Mark Tildeley speak of the influence of Ken Adam on the production design.
    • Lee Morrison (stunt coordinator) says the Norway car chase is 'a lion hunt in the Serengeti.' (This sounds WILD!)
    • Fukunaga says the film does not address Brexit
    • Safin's plot was inspired by Fukunaga's conversations with Ray Kurzweil about neo- medievalism and how we are coming to the end of the nation state: "When you think about, companies cross international borders all the time. They have private armies, and more money than governments."
    • Fukunaga says that NTTD's visual aesthetic is influence on YOLT...

That last one I find very interesting. Lewis Gilbert's film was very stylised and owed a lot to the word of Ken Adam and Freddie Young......

You-Only-Live-Twice-028.jpg

You-Only-Live-Twice-188.jpg

You-Only-Live-Twice-722.jpg

You-Only-Live-Twice-288.jpg
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    What we need another film which looks like it had a TV film budget?
    If it´s as good as GE or LTK, I´ll take that any day over expensive-looking stuff. I know I´m egoistic, thinking only about myself and not about the future of the franchise ;-).

New series coming: Better Call Bond.
    Personally I much prefer a tight storytelling arc of a well-done film, it can be tv or cinematic, over 99% of tv series.

Yikes...

In other news, who has read the new Total Film article? Lots of interesting stuff. Namely:
    • Fukunaga took Broccoli for dinner at his favourite Japanese restaurant in 2016 to pitch himself for for the director job. When he heard they hired Boyle, he was disappointed.
    • When Boyle quit, Fukunaga was on holiday and emailed Broccoli asking to be considered. They met with him and Daniel approved.
    • Fukunaga and Mark Tildeley speak of the influence of Ken Adam on the production design.
    • Lee Morrison (stunt coordinator) says the Norway car chase is 'a lion hunt in the Serengeti.' (This sounds WILD!)
    • Safin's plot was inspired by Fukunaga's conversations with Ray Kurzweil about neo- medievalism and how we are coming to the end of the nation state: "When you think about, companies cross international borders all the time. They have private armies, and more money than governments."

That last one I find very interesting. Lewis Gilbert's film was very stylised and owed a lot to the word of Ken Adam and Freddie Young......

I love all of that.
    octofinger wrote: »
    robcope wrote: »
    I can see what Mendes is saying. The series has been around for so long that you have factions of fans looking for completely different things. So while you please one group, you will alienate another group. And it's not just the actors and the style of Bond they play. It's the type of plot, the amount of action, the type of action, etc.

I'd also argue that the nature of fandom has changed. In the early days of Bond, adults and their kids would go watch the movies, and newspapers might review them, and that was that. The very concept of the 'fandom' is a more recent phenomenon - adults investing lots of time and energy in online forums, people buying all the Bond gear, peppering people associated with the movies with social media contacts . . . it's a far more complex and frustrating world to step into as an artist.

Having worked on a few sequel/remakes I feel Medes pain in regards to fandom. Artists bring something different to projects no matter how much they try to be true to the source material. Bottom line is that you can't please everyone, especially when fans embraces different elements of their favorite characters, films, stories etc.
    NY Post: James Bond’s ‘No Time to Die’ delay isn’t stopping Lashana Lynch

lashana-lynch-2-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=294
    lashana-lynch-1-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=661
    lashana-lynch-4-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=294
    lashana-lynch-3-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=294
    lashana-lynch-5-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=978&h=652&crop=1

Unlike iconic spy 007, Lashana Lynch does not have a signature cocktail. You will never hear her sternly giving out martini instructions. “I like trying new things,” she says. “I’ll sit and have a chat with the bartender for ages, and say stuff like, ‘What goes well with amaretto?’ and we’ll have a one-on-one cocktail party at the bar.”

In a cinematic world where grown women have forever been known as “Bond girls,” the British actress has arrived as, very literally, an agent of change. “No Time To Die,” the 25th installment in the James Bond franchise, stars Lynch as Nomi, a 00 agent with a scrupulous work ethic.

While the film’s March release was just delayed until November (over coronavirus fears), the actress is focused on her forward thinking character.

“She’s a highly skilled young woman who is ready to do everything by the book. She’s disciplined; she gets the job done,” says Lynch. “And I think it reminds Bond that he can be sort of chaotic in his work, and that his relationships are just full of turmoil.”

Perched on a director’s chair after our Alexa cover shoot, she’s dressed simply in all black, right down to her cap, but with a pop of electric saffron on her nails. She shrugs off the furor that has surrounded the idea that her character might become the new 007: Daniel Craig has said he’s leaving after this film, and the Hollywood Reporter cited “sources close to the film” who say that at the start of “No Time To Die,” Lynch’s character has “inherited the ‘007’ designation from Bond, who has retired.”

Naturally, Twitter went nuts.

“I try not to follow these things too closely on social media,” says Lynch, “but I have seen some comments that have made me giggle from my head to my toes.”

She isn’t giving me even a wink of a hint about the truth, but says it’s almost beside the point. “Years ago, when I graduated from drama school, I imagined doing really bold, fierce, inspiring roles,” she says, “but I never once imagined being part of a historic conversation like this. No matter what happens from here onwards, we know this conversation happened. And I feel very grateful for that.”

Over the years, the Bond franchise has featured several notable black female characters: Gloria Hendry in 1973’s “Live and Let Live,” Grace Jones in 1985’s “A View to Kill,” Halle Berry in 2002’s “Die Another Day,” Naomie Harris in 2015’s “Spectre.” The series has made some efforts to update author Ian Fleming’s depiction of Bond women as sex objects in string bikinis, sometimes with nefarious intentions, always with killer cleavage.

But credit Lynch with taking the uniform further forward. Describing her range of outfits in the movie as “power suit, power suit, power suit,” she says she was adamant about preserving function along with form.

“They wanted to sew down my pockets, make them more aesthetically pleasing. I said, ‘No, let’s let them hang out. Let’s imagine something could go in there. Can a magazine for a gun fit in? If it can’t, we need to make the pocket bigger.’”

Will there be viewers who balk at a woman wearing the pants? Undoubtedly. The world doesn’t generally accept change without struggle, Lynch points out.

“Daniel experienced that when he was a blond, blue-eyed Bond, and nobody liked it,” she says. “And he’s become my favorite Bond ever. People like to attach their own ideologies to a role. And they don’t like change. But once you ram it down their throats that change is going to happen — that it’s the only constant — then they suck it up and they start enjoying it anyway. So, in the end, it doesn’t really matter!”

Lynch, 32, has been an attention-grabbing performer for years, many of them spent on the British stage; a graduate of London’s Arts Educational School, she was raised in the city but strongly influenced by her Jamaican parents’ culture. She found herself back on the island shooting “No Time To Die” scenes, although this was not the Jamaica of her youth.

“I’m not going to pretend I’m not working class, and that we could afford to go all the time when I was growing up, but I’d been a handful of times,” she says. “And every time I stayed with family, doing the chores and looking after the animals in the backyard. So shooting there and staying at a hotel was bizarre. My mom came with me and it was just … well, a five-star experience in Jamaica is just not something we’re used to.”

American audiences will probably know Lynch from her roles on the Shonda Rhimes ABC series “Still Star-Crossed” and as the fighter pilot Maria Rambeau, best friend to the titular hero in 2019’s “Captain Marvel.”

I ask her what she makes of the derision, from directors Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola, about Marvel mov- ies — the notion that they aren’t real art. “I still don’t quite understand how there’s not room for these kinds of movies,” Lynch says. “Back to back, in 2018 and 2019, Marvel celebrated my two biggest passions, which are black culture [“Black Panther”] and women [“Captain Marvel”]. I felt I was really being taken care of as an audience member, where other types of cinema haven’t. To throw that by the wayside is just disrespectful.”

etween Lynch and Phoebe Waller- Bridge (“Fleabag”), one of the Bond screenwriters, “No Time To Die” promises a similarly satisfying experience to female fans. When the two met to discuss Nomi, Lynch expected Waller-Bridge to give her the rundown on how to be. “But she just said, ‘You tell me what you see in Nomi.’ I listed maybe ten things, all very human, very normal. I wanted Nomi to be awkward, and deal with anxiety. I thought it would be nice to have a double-O who is uber-confident but also questions herself.”

More controversially, she asked to include a moment that will be familiar to any woman: “I mentioned this in one interview and everyone went f–king crazy,” says Lynch with a small eye roll. “I want there to be a scene where she’s on her period. You don’t need to have a moment when you’re holding up a tampon — but we need to know she might be a bit cranky that day, because she’s not had a minute to herself and he’s not understanding that she’s got cramps, you know?”

Alas, it didn’t make the final cut, but not because director Cary Joji Fukunaga (“True Detective”) wasn’t willing to entertain it. “The fact that we could have a conversation about it made me feel really good.”

We marvel at the near-total lack of acknowledgement of That Time of the Month in scripts. When researching her next role (coincidentally also as a highly trained agent), she brought it to the fore as well. For the upcoming FX adaptation of the graphic novel “Y: the Last Man,” in which she plays Secret Service Agent 355, Lynch spoke to a real-life female agent. “My main question was, ‘When do you change your tampon?’” Lynch says, laughing. “And she’s like, ‘Oh, gosh, no one’s ever asked me that before! I guess you just have to find time.’ And I was like,’But when?'”

Both Nomi and Agent 355 may be hard-charging characters, but they exist in dramatically opposite worlds: the former in a heavily male universe, the latter in a dystopia in which literally all of the men, except one, are dead.

Shooting the two projects has kept Lynch monumentally busy, but in rare periods of down time, she says, “I’m a full-on granny. I just don’t do much. I have a good core group of friends, and we do a lot of game nights and hang out at each other’s houses. We create music, everyone singing together.”

As publicity picks up with the release of “No Time To Die,” Lynch says that, unlike Nomi, she’ll probably step into a pair of heels. “It makes me feel elegant — I’ve had to become really comfortable with my 5’9” height. If I wear a heel, I think it’s an even more unapologetic statement to be taller than the men on the carpet and still hold my own.”
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Will Lynch talk about tampons on every set she steps on, going forward? ;)
    For those who purchased the Total Film issue: does it come with the film's posters or are for subscribers only?
    For those who purchased the Total Film issue: does it come with the film's posters or are for subscribers only?

I am a non-subscriber, and mine came with the art cards. And they are very beautiful.
  • Have you lads seen this? Sam Mendes SPEAKS. Says making our beloved Bond NOT A HEALTHY WAY TO WORK. Claims when he thinks of Bond HIS STOMACH CHURNS.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/sam-mendes-james-bond-not-healthy-work-1202216364/amp/

Well his lack of interest was evident in how Spectre turned out.

I am a non-subscriber, and mine came with the art cards. And they are very beautiful.
    Many thanks. I'll have a copy ordered!
  • I bet we get to November and it gets moved again. Coronaviris ain't going away soon. Or is it all fake news as a certain orange tanned buffoon likes to keep telling us.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 490
    I bet we get to November and it gets moved again. Coronaviris ain't going away soon. Or is it all fake news as a certain orange tanned buffoon likes to keep telling us.

I really hope they'd release it on streaming rather than face yet another delay . I agree that the virus will still be here
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

Yikes...

From Total film:

Production designer Mark Tildesley on building Bond’s world…

ON SAFIN’S DOMAIN
    “We referenced a lot of Tadao Ando, the Japanese architect and artist, with that. It’s very much aconcrete world, prefabbed in the ’50s and ’60s by the Russians, then taken over by the Safins. It looks a bit like that concrete factory in Barcelona. Raw, brutalist, extraordinary and of the moment.”

If you all google Tadao Ando (images); it's more or less Safin's lair straight up, several of the concrete buildings and interiors
  • Red_Snow wrote: »

One thing is clear: Barbara Broccoli's decision to delay the release of NTTD was a very strong and very good decision. Bravo Barbara and thank you!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Contraband wrote: »

Yikes...

From Total film:

Production designer Mark Tildesley on building Bond’s world…

ON SAFIN’S DOMAIN
    “We referenced a lot of Tadao Ando, the Japanese architect and artist, with that. It’s very much aconcrete world, prefabbed in the ’50s and ’60s by the Russians, then taken over by the Safins. It looks a bit like that concrete factory in Barcelona. Raw, brutalist, extraordinary and of the moment.”

If you all google Tadao Ando (images); it's more or less Safin's lair straight up, several of the concrete buildings and interiors

Yep, a couple of us said that back when the trailer was released. It's pretty clearly Ando-styled.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/1056839#Comment_1056839
    ;)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Yikes...

Any more info on that Norway chase sequence? Seems like that might be one of the most exciting parts of the film.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I bet we get to November and it gets moved again. Coronaviris ain't going away soon.
    The November date has me puzzled if the delay is purely over the Covid-19. The summer would make more sense since all of the major movie markets are in the northern hemisphere. Whether or not transmission is reduced in the summer remains to be seen, though research suggests it should slow it down at least nominally. In addition to that, China’s first case was last December and 3 months later have reported increasingly fewer new cases. If you project that 3 months out for the rest of the world you have June. There’s a good chance Covid-19 will pick up steam again come fall since a vaccine or medication has not made it through development yet.

Is it because they fear running Bond up against the slate of summer blockbusters?
    The_Return wrote: »

One thing is clear: Barbara Broccoli's decision to delay the release of NTTD was a very strong and very good decision. Bravo Barbara and thank you!

+1

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Is this real?

• edited March 2020 Posts: 309
    Mansfield wrote: »
    I bet we get to November and it gets moved again. Coronaviris ain't going away soon.
    The November date has me puzzled if the delay is purely over the Covid-19. The summer would make more sense since all of the major movie markets are in the northern hemisphere. Whether or not transmission is reduced in the summer remains to be seen, though research suggests it should slow it down at least nominally. In addition to that, China’s first case was last December and 3 months later have reported increasingly fewer new cases. If you project that 3 months out for the rest of the world you have June. There’s a good chance Covid-19 will pick up steam again come fall since a vaccine or medication has not made it through development yet.

Is it because they fear running Bond up against the slate of summer blockbusters?

Summer may not have been an option for booking, or the producers/studio may have wanted to get NTTD as far away from the current epidemic as possible.

The thing to remember is that even if COVID-19 subsides and restrictions are lifted, theaters may not reopen for several weeks after. So, films opening this summer may not have as big of a theater count as normal. Also, some currently affected markets could recover this summer while others are ailing. In other words, China may be up and running in July but the US is closed for business. They’d be exchanging one lucrative market for another.

COVID-19 could be worse in the Fall, or things could get resolved in seven months. I’d want to put some distance between the current pandemic and my film’s premier. Seven months sounds better to me than three months. Thanksgiving is a major money-making holiday for movies, and there’s not any similar programming to compete with NTTD in that space.

https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/3-reasons-hollywood-loves-thanksgiving-weekend/

“And that is why out of the 200 top movies with the best opening weekends, more than 25 of them arrived in November!”

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Contraband wrote: »
    Is this real?

Yes it is.
    Mansfield wrote: »

Yes. Summer is jam packed. Black Widow, Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984, Top Gun, F9 etc. You would struggle to find a clean two week block for Bond to sit into.

Whereas the only thing that it has to worry about in November is Godzilla vs. Kong, and even that might not pose too much of an issue.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    November was originally what they wanted, just 2019. Faced with theatre closures in April and all these summer blockbusters, they probably decided it was the safest and best move to retake November. I don’t think it will be delayed again even if Coronavirus is still around.
    November was originally what they wanted, just 2019. Faced with theatre closures in April and all these summer blockbusters, they probably decided it was the safest and best move to retake November. I don’t think it will be delayed again even if Coronavirus is still around.

Agreed.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Tom Hanks and his wife have the virus they are down in Australia starting pre production on the Elvis biopic Hanks plays Colonel Tom Paker. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/tom-hanks-and-wife-rita-wilson-test-positive-for-coronavirus-2020-3?amp