No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    edited March 2020 Posts: 108
    The_Return wrote: »
    On a more serious note, this could be a blessing in disguise. Now they have plenty of time to fine tune the movie. 8 extra months of post-production is something most Bond directors had never even dreamed of!

Was just thinking that. We must try to stay positive.

• It was inevitable that this would happen, especially since just this afternoon Italy closed all movie theaters for the foreseeable future and the WHO announced a global death rate of 3.4%.

I'm gutted, absolutely gutted, but there was no way that a big movie that is meant to be a truly global event and relies so heavily on the glitz and glamour of star-studded premieres could happen successfully right now.
    ertert wrote: »
    The_Return wrote: »
    This is now the 4th release date.

25 October 2019
    14 February 2020
    2 April 2020
    12 November 2020

Ages ago some people here suggested the Movie Gods might punish EON for their actions. This might be that punishment. :)) On a more serious note, this could be a blessing in disguise. Now they have plenty of time to fine tune the movie. 8 extra months of post-production is something most Bond directors had never even dreamed of!

Are they really going to tweak it more or just sit on it since it's likely a finished product by now and not dump even more money into it.

The latter. There just won’t be any rush probably.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll now redo the theme song & score....especially the song, since it has already been released.

Hahah, no.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oof. As long as I get my money back, it is what it is. Shame it's going to just sit there for months now.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    I understand pushing back the release of the movie for public health reasons but the push the movie back all the way till November is a bit much I was expecting it to go into the summer at least. I can't imagine the amount of money they're going to have to poor and to re promoting the film yet again it makes me worried about the profit this film could make And depending the future of the bond franchise I don't mean to be dramatic about it but I do think this is an overstep...

• edited March 2020 Posts: 309
    Let’s not go there but I feel your pain. It sucks but, for the films financial sake, it’s the best thing to do. I’ll be there in November no matter what.
  • Craig's Bond tenure has just been extended by 8 months. Great news for Daniel Craig fans!
    Not to panic but what does this mean for EON and the future of the franchise given how much money will need to be spent on another marketing campaign?

Also are they going to continue tweaking the movie which could make it better or worse?? We saw what happened to Star Wars being over-edited to death.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 490
    delete
    What are the other big movies like Furious 9 doing?
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,395
    Let's get this straight: are all upcoming films getting delays? The theatres will close down now.

Or:

Is the plotline of NTTD about a virus release from Safin?? They got scared of the similarities maybe.
    It's not like coronavirus is going to disappear by November.. this is so freaking ridiculous.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    I want to be understanding. But November 25th is absolutely devastating. I'm actually near tears here

I’m on the same page. I completely didn’t see this actually happening. I am truly gutted right now. I appreciate what some are saying but so close to release, tickets booked and my excitement at fever pitch (forgive the pun) I am devastated!

All the way to November too!! Outrageous, sure 1-2 months but holy mother of f**k 8 months is UNBELIEVABLE!!

I don’t know whether to cry or go in a rage!

🍸
    What a bullshit.

What happenend now with the Score release in March?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    This will do more harm than good.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    MooreFun wrote: »
    Just cancel the film at this point.

Lol the film is already finished.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    WOW! Just two days ago there were vague rumors that the release of NTTD would actually be moved up a couple of weeks.

My uninformed speculation is that a given number of movie screens (US) had to be available for the film’s release, and November was the closest date that meet that condition. Like many of you, I would have preferred a summer release, and have other films - like Wonder Woman 1984 - delayed in the same fashion.

April to November is a significant delay in terms of film promotion – which will now have to be suspended and then re-started (how will that be done effectively?). Also, fan anticipation (not among us here, necessarily) will have built back up again.

On the plus side, the delay gives me time to have a proper pre-NTTD Bond-a-thon 😊. But other than that, this hurts. All told NTTD (Bond 25) has now been delayed by about a full year.
    Its not just the virus, its the panic and the fear that *might* be prevalent in the public in 4 weeks time. This could literally be a $500 million decision and I think its the right one.

Cancellation is probably all covered by insurance anyway.

its just a film, whereas people are ill and dying and anything that reduces the risk of infection comes first. Im an adult. I can deal with it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I expect Fast 9 and Black Widow will now get a similar delay. Mulan too probably.
    Garth007 wrote: »
    I understand pushing back the release of the movie for public health reasons but the push the movie back all the way till November is a bit much I was expecting it to go into the summer at least. I can't imagine the amount of money they're going to have to poor and to re promoting the film yet again it makes me worried about the profit this film could make And depending the future of the bond franchise I don't mean to be dramatic about it but I do think this is an overstep...

Based upon what we know, this decision was probably made with every possible consideration for MGM, EON and Universal. Every department—at every level—was consulted. I’m sure they even had their own virologists on deck.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Maybe they should spend these months to pen Bond 26 for Craig to return, or spend it searching for the next Bond for Bond 26, with the hope that NTTD will be a massive hit in November. So they can follow it up immediately with Bond 26 to meet up with the 60th anniversary.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Does this also mean a restart of the marketing campaign? Which could mean spoiling the whole movie because they’ve shown enough already lol :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Lots Of Time To Die.

It’ll be fascinating to see how the ad campaigns work, especially all the movie tie-in merch and products. Do they just start the trailers and hype again in a few months? Can you even do that? Very interesting.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 1,532
    Well now it'll officially be a five year wait now. I'm expecting a goddamn masterpiece. Complete bullshit.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This situation is totally unfortunate and downright unbelievable, but I can understand why the decision was made. It just seems utterly surreal as marketing was into high gear.

So, do they slow marketing down until a couple months before release, or milk it until November? Either way this will surely do nothing other than build anticipation, and let's be honest, the publicity surrounding this delay will probably benefit box-office returns.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Let's get this straight: are all upcoming films getting delays? The theatres will close down now.

Or:

Is the plotline of NTTD about a virus release from Safin?? They got scared of the similarities maybe.

Or:

What I am thinking.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    Its not just the virus, its the panic and the fear that *might* be prevalent in the public in 4 weeks time. This could literally be a $500 million decision and I think its the right one.

Exactly, even if health officials came out in a few weeks and gave the all clear, do we really think people would instantly start flocking to sit in crowded theatres for hours at the rate that is needed for a successful launch? I imagine the studios played out every scenario against their financial models and tracking projections and determined this was the safest scenario, and like was mentioned above with the availability of screens, I bet EON decided to pre-empt the other tentpole movies (Fast 9, Black Widow, Top Gun Maverick) by getting their traditional November time slot back *and* show concern for public health by being the first mover.
    There is zero evidence the virus will be gone in November. It will likely be worse given how other well-studied coronaviruses function seasonally.

Damned if they do damned if they don't
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ertert wrote: »
    There is zero evidence the virus will be gone in November. It will likely be worse given how other well-studied coronaviruses function seasonally.

Damned if they do damned if they don't

I bet they are counting on a vaccine being distributed globally by then.