No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think it will be a one off ,the PTS being a mini film in itself.

Like @Denbigh said it makes narrative sense to do it this way, the subject of the song coming at that moment will work really well.

Then after the main titles we shift forward to 5 years and most likely pick up in London or maybe the start of the threat that kicks off Bond being pulled back into things.

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I think it will be a one off ,the PTS being a mini film in itself.

Like @Denbigh said it makes narrative sense to do it this way, the subject of the song coming at that moment will work really well.

Then after the main titles we shift forward to 5 years and most likely pick up in London or maybe the start of the threat that kicks off Bond being pulled back into things.
    Exactly @Shardlake

And having the title sequence and the kidnapping between seeing Bond in Matera and then in Jamaica give us as the audience a bit of break to kinda represent how long he's been away from the service like Skyfall did.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Has anyone ever compiled a whole list of Bond PTS from the longest to shortest? I think that would be interesting to look into. If not, I guess I found a new project!
    All I know is that TWINE was the longest before NTTD.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    All I know is that TWINE was the longest before NTTD.

Now you'll know more: https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/19689/pre-title-sequences-from-shortest-to-longest
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 2,594
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I've said this loads of times so I apologise but I just think it makes sense structurally @FoxRox. To me if I was editing this film, I'd want everything after the title sequence to be present-day, so that it and the past are both self-enclosed and separate by the theme :)

Also emotionally it makes sense to have the title song follow Matera. It wouldn't make sense to have a song about betrayal before the person's supposedly been betrayed.

True enough. I'm sure it will work out in the context of the film. I just prefer the PTS in general to be more a little more compact, but for the film it should be fine.

I see what you mean by having scenes of the past before the titles. They did this in Goldeneye and then after the credits it read “9 years later”. I still like the thought of just having Norway for the PTS. After all, there will be a time jump between Norway and Matera anyway. I also like the thought of not having Bond in the pre title sequence. It would have been the first time since TMWTGG. Of course, it was the same with LALD. It probably would have been the same with Dr No too if they hadn’t have had the titles right at the beginning. Not sure if you can count FRWL or not. :). A pre title sequence with a little girl and a villain and no Bond sounds cool. Also, we’ve had Bond songs about love and there hasn’t been love until later on in the film. I understand what you mean but still, I don’t think where the song is placed is any kind of big deal. At the same time though, maybe the song will have more impact coming after Matera, presuming the masses listen to the lyrics. Still, maybe just the sound of the song will have an impact after Bond and Madeline are separated. I guess I’m 50/50 on the matter. Choices.

The only thing I’m not looking forward to about this film is Nomi. She sounds like she has too much of an attitude and an annoying one at that. I won’t be surprised if she hinders my enjoyment of the film. Will Nomi be going into the villain’s lair too? If so, she shouldn’t be. She should be out of the picture at this point.
    Bounine wrote: »
    I still think that it would be better to just have Norway for the PTS. After all, there will be time jump between Norway and Matera anyway.

That's why you place the gun barrel between Norway and Matera in order to break up the time gap. ;) Then after Matera it's the titles, and then "Five Years Later".
    I still think that it would be better to just have Norway for the PTS. After all, there will be time jump between Norway and Matera anyway.

That's why you place the gun barrel between Norway and Matera in order to break up the time gap. ;) Then after Matera it's the titles, and then "Five Years Later".

No thank you! I just want a traditional gunbarrel.
  • It is an awful lot to fit into a 20 minute sequence, can't wait!
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,999

No thank you! I just want a traditional gunbarrel.

Depending on how it plays, I wouldn't mind it! In theory it sounds like it could work, and it's much preferable to how QOS/SF just relegated it to the end.

I only assume this because Marvel did it with their logos taking place after a prologue set years before the main event. It happened effectively with CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR showing Bucky in 1991. I assume Norway would function as such.

Would make it the very first pre-pre-title sequence!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think a previous suggestion of the girl under the ice transitioning to Madeleine in the sea is more likely. But I wouldn't be against a pre-pre-title sequence if that's what we get!
    I think a previous suggestion of the girl under the ice transitioning to Madeleine in the sea is more likely. But I wouldn't be against a pre-pre-title sequence if that's what we get!

That's extremely likely too! Either way, I look forward to seeing how well it plays at such a long length!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The only thing I’m not looking forward to about this film is Nomi. She sounds like she has too much of an attitude and an annoying one at that. I won’t be surprised if she hinders my enjoyment of the film. Will Nomi be going into the villain’s lair too? If so, she shouldn’t be. She should be out of the picture at this point.
    To me the character is unlikable by design--I'm not supposed to like the character in competition with Bond, and they're playing on that. Likely redeemed or validated over the events. And competent, if there's an assault on the lair she can naturally be helpful.

But potentially annoying would go to the dialog. What I've heard so far plays well enough. Surely the filmmakers will resist the type of dialog Die Another Day used.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I've said this loads of times so I apologise but I just think it makes sense structurally @FoxRox. To me if I was editing this film, I'd want everything after the title sequence to be present-day, so that it and the past are both self-enclosed and separate by the theme :)

Also emotionally it makes sense to have the title song follow Matera. It wouldn't make sense to have a song about betrayal before the person's supposedly been betrayed.

Absolutely...
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Idk I really feel like it's going to be quite different of an opening then were used to and I'm honestly okay with this. Craig's tenure has always been this way and it makes since for it to conclude this way as well. I would like it to go back to traditional ways with the next bond tho. The only thing I can think of for girl under the ice and matera being both at the beginning is by having the movie abruptly open to the events at the house then by then end of this sequence cut to black, then roll on the gun barrel of Craig's and open to matera and conclude with I presume bond watching the trail fade of into the distance with Madeline on it and cues the main title sequence. It just wouldn't make since to have a song about Madeline's mistrust before said event happens but that's my guess and opinion.
    In the books, Bond has always gone alone when infiltrating the villain’s lair which for me, is much more appealing, exciting and interesting.

Is that what’s going to happen? The gun barrel is between Norway and Matera?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I don't think the gunbarrel would work there either. I think they should just blend it together. With Madeleine in both sequences, it's easy. Having a flashback of Madeleine blending into a gunbarrel may look good visually, but would make no sense. You need Bond to be able to tie in the gunbarrel - I think anyway.

Just have the gunbarrel at the beginning with the iris finally opening up on Norway, then cut from young Madeleine to old Madeleine, then after Bond survives the action in Matera, go into the title sequence and then follow with the kidnapping of Valdo.

Just kinda do what this trailer does with Jyn (0:22secs) or something a bit more seemless...

...or my only alternate theory is that the Norway sequence will be incorporated into Matera sequence as a proper flashback rather than a linear chronology.

Is that what’s going to happen? The gun barrel is between Norway and Matera?

Just my theory!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Welcome to the forum @FatherValentine .
    Does anyone have the link to the full interview of Rami, it only lasted 20 seconds.
    Does anyone have the link to the full interview of Rami, it only lasted 20 seconds.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B87VgMOBLn5/?igshid=2r95j6da3d09
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    KizerK wrote: »

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B87VgMOBLn5/?igshid=2r95j6da3d09

Thanks ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is confusing: The web page for the local cinema says NTTD is 156 minutes, while in the neigbouring town it is 140 minutes.
    Unfortunately, I bet it isn’t the action they’ve cut back on either. Shame. Why couldn’t they just leave it at three hours? I knew they’d do this though.
    The only thing now that worries me is that with the PTS being so long that the ending has to top it or else the film will be dramatically out of balance. To me, this is what happened to TWINE.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    "Scoop With Raya" a TV show on mbc2 a middle east TV channel

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

True enough. I'm sure it will work out in the context of the film. I just prefer the PTS in general to be more a little more compact, but for the film it should be fine.

You’re not supposed to like all of the characters in Bond movies: what do you think the villains are for? :)
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    Regarding the pre title sequence. The only other way it could be timed is.

Norway
    Matera - love etc
    Grave Explosion

Title sequence

Matera action scenes

Train

5 years later
    Unfortunately, I bet it isn’t the action they’ve cut back on either. Shame. Why couldn’t they just leave it at three hours? I knew they’d do this though.

All run times are just speculations.
    Robert Wade said a few weeks ago, that it never was three hours.