Daniel Craig Era in Retrospect:What does he mean to you.

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I wish I had his CR body.

That's all for now.
    The Bond that transported the character from the iconic to the mythic.

As much as I would have liked a straight-bat film for Craig he had made Bond essential in a way nobody since Connery has. And EON's progressive mindset has helped them not only keep pace but arguably help set it again.
  • The actor who ruined the Bond series along with Barbara Broccoli. I was on here moaning about his casting in 2005. 15 YEARS LATER he is still here with his tedious 5 film rebooted story arc about to end - hopefully. Although knowing my luck Daniel Craig will be back in 5 years for the next instalment (Dr White from Skyfall is actually Hugo Drax who was at school with bond etc etc).

I'm hoping that the series can be rebooted with a decent Bond and some more more normal films.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The actor who ruined the Bond series along with Barbara Broccoli. I was on here moaning about his casting in 2005. 15 YEARS LATER he is still here with his tedious 5 film rebooted story arc about to end - hopefully. Although knowing my luck Daniel Craig will be back in 5 years for the next instalment (Dr White from Skyfall is actually Hugo Drax who was at school with bond etc etc).

I'm hoping that the series can be rebooted with a decent Bond and some more more normal films.

Pathetic, you pop every now and then just to spout spam.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    I wish I had his CR body.

That's all for now.

I've never given up that goal since 2006. My goal still is to have Connery's chest hair from TB, Pierce's hair from GE, Craig's body from CR, Dalton's voice and Moore's eyebrow muscle.

What a Frankenstein, eh? :-D
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Craig is my favourite Bond. EoN have an extremely hard task on their hands in replacing him. He followed a cheesy, glorified TV actor and brought grit, depth, pathos and power to a role that had become a little tired by the time of Dire 'Nother Day.
    I hope the producers go forward with the production values they've instilled during this era and continue with an actor of similar stature. I'm really going to miss Craig.
    The actor who ruined the Bond series along with Barbara Broccoli. I was on here moaning about his casting in 2005. 15 YEARS LATER he is still here with his tedious 5 film rebooted story arc about to end - hopefully. Although knowing my luck Daniel Craig will be back in 5 years for the next instalment (Dr White from Skyfall is actually Hugo Drax who was at school with bond etc etc).

Fingers crossed then that Craig signs for Bond 26 and you'll retreat back into your cave!
    Right now, I'm really really hoping that Craig signs on for Bond26. NTTD will be a hit and he'll have to ;)

But I know that, even if NTTD is a hit, he won't come back :(
    Univex wrote: »
    Right now, I'm really really hoping that Craig signs on for Bond26. NTTD will be a hit and he'll have to ;)

But I know that, even if NTTD is a hit, he won't come back :(

Afraid, I concur. I just said it to rile yer Man!
    Oh, I do hope that CraigNotBond shower are not going to start flooding this site when he goes!
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    A mixed bag, for me. Whilst this era has undoubtedly attracted top tier talent on and off screen, that hasn't always translated to enjoyment.

I would say that I have found Craig's era interesting, rather than enjoyable. Some of the fun and 'male fantasy' has been sapped from the character, but this has been counterbalanced by some terrific acting and direction.

Thumbs firmly in the middle for me.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Big spoilers and speculation below.

If
    the filmmakers use the ending of You only Live Twice for this one,
    then they could
    use the opening to The Man with the Golden Gun for BOND 26. With Craig.

• I've said before, I think, that Craig is my favourite Bond. I'll miss him a lot. I've loved his portrayal. I think he also deserves some credit for helping turn Bond movies into prestige pictures, with the best cinematographers, Oscar-winning casts, and so on.

On the other hand, I do think that the end of the Craig era means a clear mandate for the next actor: the tone will have to lighten up. Craig has taken 'dark intensity' about as far as it can go, and the next actor can't go further.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    octofinger wrote: »
    I've said before, I think, that Craig is my favourite Bond. I'll miss him a lot. I've loved his portrayal. I think he also deserves some credit for helping turn Bond movies into prestige pictures, with the best cinematographers, Oscar-winning casts, and so on.

On the other hand, I do think that the end of the Craig era means a clear mandate for the next actor: the tone will have to lighten up. Craig has taken 'dark intensity' about as far as it can go, and the next actor can't go further.

Perfectly said my friend
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I think Daniel Craig is fooking awesome and I've loved his tenure as Bond. That's all.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I think Daniel Craig is fooking awesome and I've loved his tenure as Bond. That's all.

Amen to that!
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Always felt miscast to me in looks and charm. Never took to him and never will. He looked kinda cringy in the close up shots in Skyfall. Pale, stale and male. Eon never even made an effort to make him look remotely sophisticated or stylish in that film. It's like Babs gave up. Meh.

I just don't see any Bond in him at all. Nothing. No strong Bond look, no machismo, no arrogance, no intense Dalton quality or Moore smugness. Nothing. You have to sell Bond, Mr Craig, and I did not believe you were the character. He's not a good enough actor to understand who Bond is and how to convey that on screen. Never in a million years will I believe this guy was James Bond. Go listen to the original James Bond theme from Doctor No. Do you imagine Craig's face and his persona when you hear that theme? I sure as heck do not.

Craig also had the misfortune to have his very first gun barrel set in a mens toilet. I can never forgive Eon for that. Even 15 or so years later it still hurts to know that was what Eon thought was acceptable - a gun barrel shot to the screen set in a toilet. Insult to her father's legacy.

I think Barbara Broccoli ruined the prestige of the franchise casting Craig. As mentioned above, the male fantasy aspect was ripped apart casting Craig. No guy wants to be Craig's Bond. Yeah, there is an element of lookism prejudice, I'm not going to lie, but that's just the way Bond was cast in the past. He looked like a classic film star hero and Craig... isn't. One of the reasons Sean Connery was cast - perhaps the true reason (aside from his acting ability)... his face manifested arrogant traits. This is the classic thing people do not get. A very handsome man has an arrogant face, the features are stronger denoting a more confident arrogant nature. It's no surprise Connery was smooth and confident in the role - his features denoted that. It's just a brutal fact of genetics and it's something Cubby understood. That's why he cast Connery, Lazenby and the rest.

Craig has average features/face which means he has zero arrogant quality to his face. It's not his fault, he is who he is, we can't choose our looks but if you're being cast as the arrogant super spy James Bond I don't want some guy with no arrogance/less confident face as Bond. Sorry but this goes to the heart of the character and why the look is so important. It's time people were brutally honest why Bond looks the way he does. He is a dominant alpha male. Yes, it's a fantasy character but he's still a dominant alpha male. Craig is not that look. Again, just being brutally honest. This is something Barbara Broccoli spectacularly didn't get/understand back in 2005.

It's not just the look anyway. I think Henry Cavill would have been worse (acting-wise) had he been chosen in 2005 so it's not just the look - I don't think Cavill looks completely like Bond anyway, - but that's for another thread, and Cavill has zero dominant personality traits in his acting - he's leaden - but it's not just the look of Bond it's the charm and refinement and I see very little in Craig. Add the fact he dropped the public relations facade and said he'd only return for the money (most likely around 30 million for NTTD) and nope, not a fan. Decent enough actor but not Bond to me. Assuming the next actor is a step up, roll on Bond 26. If he's just as ropey as Craig, well, I'm sure this forum will indulge my mini-rants. ;)

All franchises have their moaners. Some fans dislike Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor, many Star Wars fans detest what Disney did to the third trilogy, the recent Star Trek reboot - Pickard - has its detractors, and some Bond fans will always dislike Eon for casting Craig. Just the way it goes.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Always felt miscast to me in looks and charm. Never took to him and never will. He looked kinda cringy in the close up shots in Skyfall. Pale, stale and male.
    Male?

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Always felt miscast to me in looks and charm. Never took to him and never will. He looked kinda cringy in the close up shots in Skyfall. Pale, stale and male.
    Male?

Quite revealing.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    With moments like Craig at the Bahamas, it’s hard for me NOT to see the swagger and machismo that @fanbond123 says he doesn’t see. I can totally understand it concerning Craig’s looks as he doesn’t fit the description of a classic movie star, but Craig manages to really exude the character in-spite of his rough features and I think that’s how most audiences were able to buy into his Bond. It’s not an accident, as Barbara Broccoli recognized it in him and the casting paid off beyond anyone’s expectations.

Honestly, did anyone in 2005 believe Craig would have a run as well acclaimed and lasting as it turned out? I certainly never would have thought we’d all be discussing his final entry in 2020 fifteen years ago! I was only 18 then, and now I’m 33.
    I adore Brosnan, but to say that Craig lacks machismo when compared to him, for example, is pure lunacy...or blindness.

And that voice and swagger. And that minimalistic pout. Daniel Craig's the man.

And I prefer his greyish hair now, instead of that blond modern crop he had when he started :-D Wish he'd stay for one more, or two. I like my Bond seasoned, matured and confident. It'd be great if he returned.
    With moments like Craig at the Bahamas, it’s hard for me NOT to see the swagger and machismo that @fanbond123 says he doesn’t see. I can totally understand it concerning Craig’s looks as he doesn’t fit the description of a classic movie star, but Craig manages to really exude the character in-spite of his rough features and I think that’s how most audiences were able to buy into his Bond. It’s not an accident, as Barbara Broccoli recognized it in him and the casting paid off beyond anyone’s expectations.

Honestly, did anyone in 2005 believe Craig would have a run as well acclaimed and lasting as it turned out? I certainly never would have thought we’d all be discussing his final entry in 2020 fifteen years ago! I was only 18 then, and now I’m 33.

Fleming describes Bond as having dark, rather cruel good looks. I feel that Bond should have some roughness to his looks and not represent the ideal male model and I feel Craig's face does have those characteristics.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,999
    Here's an excerpt from the Moonraker novel, when Bond is entering the Blades Club:

"And what could the casual observer think of him, 'Commander James Bond, GMG, RNVSR', also 'something at the Ministry of Defence', the rather saturnine young man in his middle thirties sitting opposite the Admiral? Something a bit cold an dangerous in that face. Looks pretty fit. May have been attached to Templer in Malaya. Or Nairobi. Mau Mau work. Tough-looking customer. Doesn't look like the sort of chap one usually sees in Blades.

Bond knew that there was something alien and un-English about himself. He knew that he was a difficult man to cover up. Particularly in England. He shrugged his shoulders. Abroad was what mattered. He would never have a job to do in England. Outside the jurisdiction of the Service. Anyway, he didn't need a cover this evening. This was recreation"
    Here's an excerpt from the Moonraker novel, when Bond is entering the Blades Club:

"And what could the casual observer think of him, 'Commander James Bond, GMG, RNVSR', also 'something at the Ministry of Defence', the rather saturnine young man in his middle thirties sitting opposite the Admiral? Something a bit cold an dangerous in that face. Looks pretty fit. May have been attached to Templer in Malaya. Or Nairobi. Mau Mau work. Tough-looking customer. Doesn't look like the sort of chap you one usually sees in Blades.

Bond knew that there was something alien and un-English about himself. He knew that he was a difficult man to cover up. Particularly in England. He shrugged his shoulders. Abroad was what mattered. He would never have a job to do in England. Outside the jurisdiction of the Service. Anyway, he didn't need a cover this evening. This was recreation"

Exactly.
    That could easily be Connery or Craig.
    Univex wrote: »
    That could easily be Connery or Craig.

No its Dalton! 😁
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Male?

I actually borrowed/stole that phrase from politics. It's term to describe politicians that all act the same, come from the same social class, have similar views irrespective of their political affiliation. I appropriated it for a lazy dig at Craig!

The anti-Craig Bond fans will never truly accept him in the role. It's kinda the Bond equivalent of Brexit - remainers vs leavers - or flat Earthers vs round Earthers. There is little or no middle ground. But to be fair, despite my near universal dislike of Craig in the role I do accept he is good/decent at Bond's blunt instrument of the state persona. I can believe Craig's Bond would have no emotional problem dumping Mathis in a dumpster. I'd find it harder to believe if Moore's Bond did that.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter that much what other people think, right? As long as we're not abusive or really harsh about an actor - I think we can just go "whatever, I don't agree with your opinion but it's yours." I've no problem with any fan saying Craig is the best Bond. If a fan genuinely feels that, it's not for me to say "you're wrong, or an idiot or whatever." Sometimes we can all get a bit passionate or over-the-top. Hand on heart I don't think Craig is really bad in the role, I probably got a bit carried away in my last post. He's okay in parts but just not my idea of Bond overall. The negatives outweigh the positives. I think that's the best way to put it. If I came over a bit harsh then it's more to do with frustration on my part. I kinda wish to move on with a new actor. It's just a selfish thought on my part.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,726
    Male?

I actually borrowed/stole that phrase from politics. It's term to describe politicians that all act the same, come from the same social class, have similar views irrespective of their political affiliation. I appropriated it for a lazy dig at Craig!

The anti-Craig Bond fans will never truly accept him in the role. It's kinda the Bond equivalent of Brexit - remainers vs leavers - or flat Earthers vs round Earthers. There is little or no middle ground. But to be fair, despite my near universal dislike of Craig in the role I do accept he is good/decent at Bond's blunt instrument of the state persona . I can believe Craig's Bond would have no emotional problem dumping Mathis in a dumpster. I'd find it harder to believe if Moore's Bond did that.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter that much what other people think, right? As long as we're not abusive or really harsh about an actor - I think we can just go "whatever, I don't agree with your opinion but it's yours." I've no problem with any fan saying Craig is the best Bond. If a fan genuinely feels that, it's not for me to say "you're wrong, or an idiot or whatever." Sometimes we can all get a bit passionate or over-the-top. Hand on heart I don't think Craig is really bad in the role, I probably got a bit carried away in my last post. He's okay in parts but just not my idea of Bond overall. I think that's the best way to put it. If I came over a bit harsh then it's more to do with frustration on my part. I kinda wish to move on with a new actor. It's just a selfish thought on my part.

You've only a few more year s to wait!
    I can understand your frustration! Been there myself with The Brossa years, an actor who I thought was doing it all wrong! Back then I had the fear Brossa would be in the role for ages with his youthful looks and big box office takings. I was in 00seventh heaven when they dumped him, and though I didn't know much about Craig (seen the tv series Our Friends in the North) after I saw Layer Cake knew they had the right man!
    I appreciate Craig wasn't the stereotypical cinematic Bond. I bought him as a potentially good Bond right from his announcement and feel rewarded for it.

Perhaps that's why I was less enthused about Brosnan because he was EXACTLY what most expect for Bond and his approach being a composite of previous Bonds left nothing to discover, strictly by the numbers. And that's okay as that's what many wanted and liked and his popularity and box office proved it. But sometimes when we get what we aren't expecting it can be liberating and a good thing as Craig has proven for a lot of us.

I may not be a huge fan of some of his films, but his presence makes them that much more watchable.
    To be fair, Fleming Bond rarely slept with more than one woman each of the novels. I wouldn’t accuse Fleming of making his hero PC.
    I was sceptical when the decision was first announced, then blown away when I came out of the cinema after watching CR. I hadn't felt that way about a Bond film since LTK. That film instantly went into my top 5, and I loved Craig as Bond.

QoS brought with it a few frustrations for me. It didn't quite have the same magic as CR. I loved the PTS and the early action scenes, then became slightly bored throughout the rest of the movie. It felt like a missed opportunity.

SF - really liked it when I first saw it, but again it had many flaws, and I didn't like the way Craig looked in this one. The skinhead cut, the messy looking stubble.

SP - not a big fan, and after watching it, it started to show the problems with SF in a greater light - mainly Newman soundtrack and Mendes direction.

In summary of Craig's reign - brilliant opening, but went sadly downhill. I'm hoping NTTD ends his tenure on a high, but I am ready for a new actor in the role now, and I hope they go back in the direction of CR and LTK - relying on Fleming scenes, making Bond tough, rough and bloodied again, but no more personal angst crap or retcon family backstories.

The new actor needs to embody the characteristics of Connery too, who had the essence of the screen Bond. A tall alpha male in real life.